The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Motifs wasted on mules

Brunoad
Brunoad
✭✭✭
Third time since this anniversary event I wasted a valuable motif on a mule, one of them was a super rare Imperial motif, as I was opening anniversary boxes. Why, WHY can't these motifs be lockable, or at the very least have a confirmation check before consumption?? Once again, I asked ZOS support for help, but was basically told - too bad, sucks for you. This is simply another support ticked from the many I previously send for various issues that remains unresolved. Not ONE single ticket from over a dozen I have send so far since Beta days got a positive resolution, NOT ONE!
Things like these, together with the insane limited inventory system, is getting me so frustrated and tired of this game.
  • ScytheNL
    ScytheNL
    ✭✭✭✭
    You used a motif on the wrong character. And this is the fault of the game?
    Ok.
    Ingame:
    Ezekiel Zakriah, Redguard Nightblade

Xbox One, GT= Scythe NL
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made a thread on this before. I really would appreciate being able to lock consumable items! Especially now with all these furnishing designs and whatnot
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Osteos
    Osteos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been playing since early access and have never done this. It's not the game it's definitely you.
    DAGGERFALL COVENANT
    NA PC
    Former Vehemence Member
    Onistka Valerius <> Artemis Renault <> Gonk gra-Ugrash <> Karietta <> Zercon at-Rusa <> Genevieve Renault <> Ktaka <> Brenlyn Renault
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can somewhat understand how it could happen - I've been opening stacks of Anniversary boxes on my writ alts this week, and have had to stop myself a few times before right-clicking because the newly looted motif page defaults to the top of the window where I've just been right-clicking speedily on loot boxes. Not sure how to fix it, though - locking wouldn't help in this case, since it's brand new loot. /shrug

(I have similar thoughts sometimes about how "R" is used for both "Loot All" and "Accidentally trigger your Ultimate while looting a bunch of sacks" :D )
  • mystfit
    mystfit
    ✭✭✭
    I can somewhat understand how it could happen - I've been opening stacks of Anniversary boxes on my writ alts this week, and have had to stop myself a few times before right-clicking because the newly looted motif page defaults to the top of the window where I've just been right-clicking speedily on loot boxes. Not sure how to fix it, though - locking wouldn't help in this case, since it's brand new loot. /shrug

(I have similar thoughts sometimes about how "R" is used for both "Loot All" and "Accidentally trigger your Ultimate while looting a bunch of sacks" :D )

I moved my ultimate to the 6 key as I was doing that allllll the time ;)
  • rotaugen454
    rotaugen454
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get paranoid about this, and immediately bank them. Hasn't happened yet that I burned on a mule or alt, but I could see it happening. I immediately give to my main crafter, and if he knows it already, I put up for sale in Guild Store.
    "Get off my lawn!"
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the Advanced Filters addon and I only open boxes when I'm in the "containers" sub-section of consumables. Works like a charm.

As for ultimate, mine has been on TAB for years now.
    The Moot Councillor
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^

Also, slowing down just a hair helps solve mistakes like what OP encountered.
  • nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me & Master Writs. Why is the currency not shared across the account?!?!?
    Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Brunoad wrote: »
    Third time since this anniversary event I wasted a valuable motif on a mule, one of them was a super rare Imperial motif, as I was opening anniversary boxes. Why, WHY can't these motifs be lockable, or at the very least have a confirmation check before consumption?? Once again, I asked ZOS support for help, but was basically told - too bad, sucks for you. This is simply another support ticked from the many I previously send for various issues that remains unresolved. Not ONE single ticket from over a dozen I have send so far since Beta days got a positive resolution, NOT ONE!
    Things like these, together with the insane limited inventory system, is getting me so frustrated and tired of this game.

I did it with 1 malacanth page and 2 housing recipes. Did it on my stam sorc who doesn't craft. Whoops!

But at least none of my characters are mules. Well, the new 9th one was just to do writs for anniversary.
  • GaldorP
    GaldorP
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there maybe an addon that disables the <E> command (default key) in the inventory? :) You could still use consumables by right-clicking and the selecting "use".
  • Rainwhisper
    Rainwhisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I eventually had to remap my ult, for this reason.

And yes, I've burned a couple of motifs this way, but it's completely my error. I wouldn't mind a confirmation dialog on using a motif or blueprint.
  • Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pay attention, slow down and pay attention. This is not a problem with the game. It's a problem with the players. I've done it and learned to pay closer attention to what I'm doing.
  • Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    it sounds like you just got outplayed

like when a player kills you in pvp and you make a thread about how their build is op

this is the exact same principle

but no, a confirmation screen would be nice
    Edited by Browiseth on April 10, 2017 3:25PM
    skingrad when zoscharacters:
    • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
    • EP - F - Melina Elinia - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Sinnia Lavellan - Altmer Warden Healer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Follows-the-Arcane - Argonian Healer Sorcerer- lvl 50
    • EP - F - Ashes-of-Arcane - Argonian Magicka Necromancer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Bolgrog the Sinh - Orc Stamina Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Moonlight Maiden - Altmer Magicka Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Maxine Cauline - Breton Magicka Nightblade - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Garrus Loridius - Imperial Stamina Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Jennifer Loridius - Imperial Necromancer tank - lvl 50
    PC/NA but live in EU 150+ ping lyfe
  • Clansman2013
    Clansman2013
    ✭✭✭
    I have done this as well, I just chalked it up to me being stupid and impatient, lol. The good news is, you probably won't do it again. I know for me, after this happened, I slowed down and pay way more attention when opening boxes now.
  • jcaceresw
    jcaceresw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure how locking them will avoid the issue of "wasting" them on a alt. Supposedly that lock is to avoid being sold and deconstructed. If I "use" a "locked" ring it become bound to me. So how the "lock" will help me or you for the motifs and the recipes?
    Edited by jcaceresw on April 10, 2017 3:54PM
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't used a motif accidentally, but I did accept a master writ before I realized that vouchers weren't account wide. Not a huge thing, but it would have been just a little faster to the total needed for the ebony motif for my main crafter.

Now that I've gotten it, I don't see myself needing anything else.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Browiseth wrote: »
    but no, a confirmation screen would be nice

Not when you go on a shopping spree of motif pages and recipes...
    The Moot Councillor
  • Annalyse
    Annalyse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have honestly never had this problem, but maybe that is because I pause after opening each box to see what I got. Perhaps you should just take a little more time opening them?

I guess it might be nice to have the ability to make them lockable like gear if you need to carry them around for a bit. I generally just put everything like that in the bank immediately if I get them on alts.
    nine9six wrote: »
    Me & Master Writs. Why is the currency not shared across the account?!?!?

Honestly, Master Writs are pretty much impossible to accidentally use because they come with a dialogue. So if you do accidentally use them, you can just click Goodbye to cancel out of it and keep the writ. The only case in which I have used one that I shouldn't have was a case of me misreading the motif, which it turned out I didn't know, but that was my own fault for not reading more carefully.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to make motifs come with a confirmation dialogue, since some of them are pretty pricey. But I wouldn't want it added to things like recipes and other consumables of that style because it would get annoying to deal with it all the time.

Edited by Annalyse on April 10, 2017 4:09PM
  • raidentenshu_ESO
    raidentenshu_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Dude are you broke as hell to not afford to purchase the motif from a trading guild? You can always use https://us.tamrieltradecentre.com to track one down, and just purchase the damn book already.

Stop being cheap and go for it.
  • Brunoad
    Brunoad
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the helpful comments, particularly about the Advanced Filters add-on, as for the others "if you don't get it, you just don't get it...", and you just make yourself look stupid by replying.
  • LadyLavina
    LadyLavina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least the mules will be stylish.
    89ce23f7ab030034a8c4efd21b2b5012.jpg
    PC - NA @LadyLavina 1800+ CP PvP Tank and PvP Healer
  • raidentenshu_ESO
    raidentenshu_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mules lives matter too :)

• altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »
    I made a thread on this before. I really would appreciate being able to lock consumable items! Especially now with all these furnishing designs and whatnot

there is an addon that enables to lock items, right?
  • nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wrote:

Honestly, Master Writs are pretty much impossible to accidentally use because they come with a dialogue. So if you do accidentally use them, you can just click Goodbye to cancel out of it and keep the writ. The only case in which I have used one that I shouldn't have was a case of me misreading the motif, which it turned out I didn't know, but that was my own fault for not reading more carefully.

They shouldn't jump on my screen. They know their audience. Doing Writs, on 12 toons. Spamming "E" to open boxes. Make them go to inventory by default.. Addons (now) help. This also does nothing for the currency not being shareable with other Toons.

*EDIT*

Thankfully they were Alchemy / Enchanting Master Writs, which are easy on any Alt. The behavior with which they jump on the screen is more of my frustration & the fact that the currency is locked to the Toon. Stupid.
    Edited by nine9six on April 10, 2017 8:16PM
    Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why, WHY can't these motifs be lockable, or at the very least have a confirmation check before consumption??
    I understand your frustration, but another locking system isn't the answer. I can't stand the one we have now because it was poorly implemented. Having another one will just be more problematic.

I do like the confirmation upon using a high level item idea, like we get before selling to a fence.

I still chuckle at the time my cat walked across my arms as I was doing inventory, force pressing the "Use" option of a purple recipe my mule couldn't even begin to use at level 3.

I suspect the RNG goddess will grant me another 32 years after my death.

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ScytheNL wrote: »
    You used a motif on the wrong character. And this is the fault of the game?
    Ok.

Happened to me too, it's so damn easy to accidentally click on it because the default UI puts new items on top of the list instead of ordering them alphabetically.
    dry.gif
  • WhitePawPrints
    WhitePawPrints
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was aware of this risk when the event started, so I've been extremely careful. Have not had it occur to me once. Paying attention will help.
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't wait until he gets his first master writ. Plus, when opening multiple of the same thing, I ALWAYS open the bottom one. that way if stuff moves, I'm still opening the same item. I slow down when I get to less than 5.

Edited by PlagueSD on April 10, 2017 10:48PM
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think your "mule" deserves more respect. He's a person, too!