The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Housing Items in Crates - The SWTOR Issue

Turelus
Turelus
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
So now we have the first batch of housing items in Crates, I was wondering how ZOS plan to deal with the issues SWTOR faced doing this.

Where eventually you've gone through so many of these "exclusive" housing items that a new player joining the game who wants one has no option to obtain one. In SWTOR items were at least unbound meaning you could sell them, but it reached the point where so many past items were just gone from the game players couldn't decorate their houses the way they wanted.

Now SWTOR "solved" this with the chance cube system which is an item you can find in crates and when used gives you any random item from any crates made (the odds of anything good are terrible).

Thoughts from others and hopefully the attention of ZOS.
@Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
"Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • RapidUrsa
    RapidUrsa
    ✭✭✭✭
    So if I'm understanding this correctly you want a crown crate system for passed crown crate items?
    About Me
    Xbox One - EU
    Gamertag - RapidUrsa
    Overall CP - 500
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's just how SWTOR handled what is a terrible system.

The thread is me more once again reminding ZOS (AKA moaning) about why it's bad to place housing items in crates, as a year from now when that new player joins and finds out the only way to have a Hircine Statue is to have been playing the game a year before and buy RNG boxes.

They also can't afford to repeat seasons too fast as they won't get sales from people who already purchased that season, so they make more and more new ones, add more and more exclusive limited housing items then two or three years down the line you have a list of "best items for houses" which no player can obtain.

As someone who returned to SWTOR and tried housing again I was left with a very bitter taste of what was a system that told me I wasn't allowed to have anything nice in my home.
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • RapidUrsa
    RapidUrsa
    ✭✭✭✭
    Okay I understand now, The only thing that I can think of it offering them on the crown store a year after circulation but the dilemma with that is they are again asking for rl money
    About Me
    Xbox One - EU
    Gamertag - RapidUrsa
    Overall CP - 500
  • GilGalad
    GilGalad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not just use the gem system?
    Bring back all items ever included in the crown crates for a limited time, like the first weekend of every month. Like this the store does not get flooded all the time, they remain somewhat exclusive, but are not gone forever.
    Animals Unchained | PC EU
    Homestead Theorycrafting
    Math of RNG
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GilGalad wrote: »
    Why not just use the gem system?
    Bring back all items ever included in the crown crates for a limited time, like the first weekend of every month. Like this the store does not get flooded all the time, they remain somewhat exclusive, but are not gone forever.

I actually like this, it gives more meaning to the gems currency and means nothing is every truly lost.

It does suffer the issue of needing to spend a lot on items you don't want for what you do want (but that's crates in general), but I could see this working and keeping some items in rotation for people to buy.

They may not want to just because it devalues the last weeks of "buy before they're gone FOREVER!!!" sales push though.
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was forced to buy wild crates so I could have Hircine statue... :disappointed:
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duiwel wrote: »
    Yeah it stinks, the move was large middle finger to many werewolf players and roleplay groups in the game.

Sadly it's only going to get worse and the more seasons that pass the more items we'll see which will no one will be able to complete their house with.
  • Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You were not forced to do anything. You chose of your own free will to purchase. You can decorate your house just fine without anything in the crates, you chose the buy crates to get an item you want. Welcome to reality, I want things for my house I will buy them. Nothing has to he equal, equality is a myth. I work hard for my money and can afford to buy things that others who dont work as hard can't afford. Others have more money than me and can afford nicer things, and that's fine, I don't expect to be able to buy mansion or a Ferrari, does that mean that things aren't equal because I can't afford it?

I guess everytime there is a sale at a store it should remain forever just in case someone moves into the neighborhood 2 years after the original sale. Snowflake logic.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stopnaggin wrote: »

You were not forced to do anything. You chose of your own free will to purchase. You can decorate your house just fine without anything in the crates, you chose the buy crates to get an item you want. Welcome to reality, I want things for my house I will buy them. Nothing has to he equal, equality is a myth. I work hard for my money and can afford to buy things that others who dont work as hard can't afford. Others have more money than me and can afford nicer things, and that's fine, I don't expect to be able to buy mansion or a Ferrari, does that mean that things aren't equal because I can't afford it?

I guess everytime there is a sale at a store it should remain forever just in case someone moves into the neighborhood 2 years after the original sale. Snowflake logic.

This really wasn't needed in the thread. If you don't want to constructively add to the actual topic (how to deal with limited housing item bloat over the next years) and just start the same old Crown Store debates please take it to one of the many threads or start your own.
  • Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Stopnaggin wrote: »

This really wasn't needed in the thread. If you don't want to constructively add to the actual topic (how to deal with limited housing item bloat over the next years) and just start the same old Crown Store debates please take it to one of the many threads or start your own.

How would like to be contructive? Do you somehow think that a new player is entitled to everything that came before? This thread weather you like it or not is a thread about guess what, items in the crown store. All I'm doing is expanding on your original thread, you started the the debate on how to handle it. You don't handle it it is what it is. When they are gone they are gone.

Should we make new players suffer through Vet ranks, or the pre 1t era because they missed it? Should we put caltrops and vigor back to the original grind they were? They also missed out on the anniversary events, bring them back too?

Releasing unbound items in the crown store should never happen, that is a sure fire way to screw up the economy. Also at this point if they offered items from previous crates it would have to be for gem exchange only, if they were offered for crowns at a later date they would have to answer a lot of questions. I personally think they should have not put any furnishings in the crates, but we all knew it would happen. I don't see the need to accommodate new players with everything that has come before. Will they re-release the monkey pet? Because some of us didn't have the opportunity to get it.
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They don't care. If they really cared about using a system that's fair for players there would no Crown Crates, just a Crown Store that never had stock removed. It would be a digital store that grew in stock every single month and never had anything "rotated for space". New players would be able to see all the latest featured items as per usual, but also have a treasure trove of goodies to spend money on that ZOS have collated over the years. Instead, they incentivize purchases by placing countdowns on items that will soon be removed from the store, never to be returned, to make extra space (lol) for the new batch of digital items on the way, and now also through Crates which... well everything has been said about that multiple times over.

Tl;dr: ZOS LOL
  • necronomniconb14_ESO
    Darkstorne wrote: »
    They don't care. If they really cared about using a system that's fair for players there would no Crown Crates, just a Crown Store that never had stock removed. It would be a digital store that grew in stock every single month and never had anything "rotated for space". New players would be able to see all the latest featured items as per usual, but also have a treasure trove of goodies to spend money on that ZOS have collated over the years. Instead, they incentivize purchases by placing countdowns on items that will soon be removed from the store, never to be returned, to make extra space (lol) for the new batch of digital items on the way, and now also through Crates which... well everything has been said about that multiple times over.

Tl;dr: Zyngamax LOL

• casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    but it reached the point where so many past items were just gone from the game players couldn't decorate their houses the way they wanted.

This has already happened in ESO with mounts, pets, hats, hairs, and costumes. Unless you get lucky and the look you want is constructable from the few items that make it into the crown crate season, and then get lucky again and get the items you need from the crates, you're out of luck if you haven't been playing for quite some time.

I'm all for rewarding players who have stuck with the game for a long time, but I'm not convinced that depriving new players is the best way to reward older ones.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.