Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

damage tank

Lynx7386
Lynx7386
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
This is more a musing for a potential warden build, but has anyone managed to make a dungeon tank that can still dish out a reasonable amount of damage? Obviously it'll never be as much as a dedicated damage dealer, but maybe enough to have an Impact on dungeon Completion times?

I've been thinking, for the warden, about using the dreugh king slayer heavy armor set for major brutality and adding in selenes monster set for the bear damage proc (more to fit the warden theme than anything), Using the dps morph of the bear pet ultimate to help during execute phases, etc.

Haven't decided what other armor set to pair with dks yet though. Thought about doing rattlecage for a hybrid build to get more damage from a back bar frost staff and ice spells, but lately I'm thinking it might be better to go more towards stamina and weapon damage boosts instead. Maybe there's another heavy set with a damage benefit I haven't come across yet?
PS4 / NA
M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tanks doing damage is fairly inconsequential. You can try backbar 2H for execute maybe. Best off to have healer that can also dish it out. Tanks just don't do much damage in Vet dungeons.

• Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Up until lately I was really keen on the hybrid build using rattlecage for major sorcery and dreugh king slayer for major brutality, but considering that I'll be a khajiit I think maybe it'd be best to stick to the stamina side of things.

What about back bar dual wield? Blade cloak might actually be useful as a tank for the aoe damage reduction, it's got blood craze as a dot, some self healing, flying blade for situations that require range, and tornado for aoe and execute. Would also allow me to keep a 5/5/2 setup.

2h would be nice for brawler on aoe packs though, and has a better execute and wrecking blow... hmmm...
    PS4 / NA
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's actually reasonably easy to make a dps tank. Simply wearing heavy armor and having the right skills slotted is all it takes to tank a vet dungeon, even the DLC ones. For example, you can use a 5set of heavy Hundings, pair it with whatever jewelry/weapons/monster set you want. As long as you have a few choice tanking skills, like Pierce Armor, Evasion, Major Ward/Resolve, the rest is pretty flexible.

That concept applies regardless of the set. You could use your Rattlecage or DKS gear and combine it with a large number of other sets that will allow you to having a reasonably high weapon damage, crit, and max stam (for a tank anyway). You can easily tank in a pvp setup like 7th Legion, Fury, and Troll King too.

As you know from our other discussion, I run a full support tank setup. It boosts the dps of my party by way more than I will crank out myself, but the catch is that my party has to be doing respectable damage to begin with for it to be truly useful. In dungeons where both dps are low CP and relatively new to the game, a full support setup isn't nearly as beneficial, and a hybrid approach can be more effective in such situations.

Dual Wield is very common for a stamblade in vet dungeons. Steel Tornado makes for good AoE and procs Siphoning Attacks, Blade Cloak is a good skill for mitigation and a small amount of dps, and for single target fights you can use Flurry and Twin Slashes. It all depends on how you want to set up, as I'm sure your skills will likely change depending on the group.
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    5 Black Rose
    3 Healthy Agility (All weapon dmg)
    4 VO
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Autolycus wrote: »
    It's actually reasonably easy to make a dps tank. Simply wearing heavy armor and having the right skills slotted is all it takes to tank a vet dungeon, even the DLC ones. For example, you can use a 5set of heavy Hundings, pair it with whatever jewelry/weapons/monster set you want. As long as you have a few choice tanking skills, like Pierce Armor, Evasion, Major Ward/Resolve, the rest is pretty flexible.

That concept applies regardless of the set. You could use your Rattlecage or DKS gear and combine it with a large number of other sets that will allow you to having a reasonably high weapon damage, crit, and max stam (for a tank anyway). You can easily tank in a pvp setup like 7th Legion, Fury, and Troll King too.

As you know from our other discussion, I run a full support tank setup. It boosts the dps of my party by way more than I will crank out myself, but the catch is that my party has to be doing respectable damage to begin with for it to be truly useful. In dungeons where both dps are low CP and relatively new to the game, a full support setup isn't nearly as beneficial, and a hybrid approach can be more effective in such situations.

Dual Wield is very common for a stamblade in vet dungeons. Steel Tornado makes for good AoE and procs Siphoning Attacks, Blade Cloak is a good skill for mitigation and a small amount of dps, and for single target fights you can use Flurry and Twin Slashes. It all depends on how you want to set up, as I'm sure your skills will likely change depending on the group.

Well this will be for a warden tank, so a lot is still up in the air about their abilities and that will largely determine weapon choice. Obviously front bar will be 1h/sh, and whether or not a bow or 2h will be viable will be determined by if they decide to make 2h weapons count for two set bonuses. That leaves dual wield or a second 1h/sh on the back bar for buffs and some damage.

I really like using the selenes set and think it will work really well with the warden's animal/nature theme.

A second shield bar would afford more defense but all it has for dps is power bash, which is far less damaging than flurry or wrecking blow for similar cost.

PS4 / NA
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the other hand I really liked the idea of running a frost staff on the back bar for aoe packs... decisions decisions.
    PS4 / NA
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah yeah, I see what you mean. Sorry, I read the OP and then got sidetracked by one of your more recent comments, and responded mostly to that.

There's a lot up in the air about Warden, and honestly I'm not sure what to think just yet. If current and past state of ESO is any indication, doing a second 1H&S on the back bar might be optimal for trials content, but probably anything will work for dungeons anyway? Hard to say, I don't know much more about Warden right now than the baseline skills that were posted.

On a related note, isn't there a showcase of the Warden today or something?
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Autolycus wrote: »
    Ah yeah, I see what you mean. Sorry, I read the OP and then got sidetracked by one of your more recent comments, and responded mostly to that.

There's a lot up in the air about Warden, and honestly I'm not sure what to think just yet. If current and past state of ESO is any indication, doing a second 1H&S on the back bar might be optimal for trials content, but probably anything will work for dungeons anyway? Hard to say, I don't know much more about Warden right now than the baseline skills that were posted.

On a related note, isn't there a showcase of the Warden today or something?

Showcase is tomorrow, looking forward to it.

My original build for my warden was to use 1h/sh front bar and frost staff back bar. The staff bar would have elemental blockade and ice shards (warden aoe frost skill that does damage over 10 seconds and snares) for aoe packs.

One of the frost cloak morphs for the warden gives the whole group major ward, major resolve, and minor protection, so that's going to be an awesome buff and space saver for skill bars. They also have a frost self heal.

PS4 / NA
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm really looking forward to the Ward/Resolve/Protection myself, too! That skill alone is going to be handy for a lot of groups learning vet trials... one well-timed cast could get a lot of groups through some of the more punishing mechanics.

I was actually thinking about that skill specifically during vAA HM, when the storm atros get to low health and do the raid-wide AoE. That mechanic can put a lot of pressure on the healers, and dps often die to it, and I think just a single cast of that skill when the atro is at ~25-30% would make a huge difference.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't even need to be well timed, the buff lasts for 24 seconds I think
    PS4 / NA
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh right, good point. Lol, shows how much research I've done on Warden so far. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played druid/shaman mains in wow for several years, so I've been psyched about finally getting a nature class analog here =p

My main concern, I guess, is how agonizing it is to Solo as a tank, regardless of class. Not being able to kill mobs efficiently in the overworld definitely hurts my enjoyment of my tank characters.
    PS4 / NA
  • Stannum
    Stannum
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok my thoughts on Warden damaging tank concept.
    Not really true tank for vet trials, but good enought for vet pledges (really this concept is more PvP oriented).
    1. Stam build 5med based
    2. The more stam sustain she will get the more DPS potential she has.
    3. Frost staff (perma)blocking with magickasteal(ele drain) while class skill spamming (pet line stamina morphs).
    4. Ice line buffs\debufs (may be even further dmg if you'll have enougth macgika as some skills scale of HP!)
    5. May be Frost staf/bow build for PvP, Frost/Frost for PvE
    6. Vigor if healing is needed (may be in combination with flora skilline)
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeh, my saptank build in my signature.

Can solo quite a fair amount bosses in vet dungeons. Even soloed Valkyn Skoria from 40%.

No swapping from tank to DPS mode. Does good DPS while doing full tank duties. DPS is how it sustains and heals.

Oh, and you won't need a healer for most dungeons.
    Edited by Brrrofski on March 31, 2017 8:03AM