Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Fix for Flickering Grass in ESO on AMD Cards

RinaldoGandolphi
RinaldoGandolphi
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
I do not use an AMD GPU, but I have a spare AMD card around here, I have done some testing, and I have a temporary fix for the issue until AMD does something about it.

Step 1: Download the Latest version of Display Driver Uninstaller

Step 2 - Download AMD Crimson Relive 16.2.2 Save it to your Desktop.

Step 3: Create a Folder on your Desktop called "DDU", Launch Display Driver Uninstaller and extract it into the DDU folder you created to your Desktop.

Step4: - open up the DDU folder and find the Display Driver Uninstaller exe and launch it. It will ask you to reboot into safe mode, chose yes.

Step 5 : After it reboots into safe mode, Open the DDU folder, Find the Display Driver Unisntaller exe and run it again.

Step 6: - In the dialog choose AMD from the Drop down box(you will see the AMD logo appear in the program)

Step 7 - Once AMD is selected, Choose "clean and restart"

Step 8: run the AMD Crimson Relive 16.2.2 driver package you installed early to revert back to the previous driver, then reboot your system.

Thats it. this will fix your ESO flickering problems. AMD is kinda slow on fixing things like this sadly. If you have other games that need the new driver, then you will be forced to simply deal with the flickering, shut off grass, or simply not play ESO.

Some background

I used to be part of the AMD Beta/driver feedback program for nearly a decade until about 4 months ago..

As someone who has first hand experience, I would not expect this to fixed anytime in the next 6 months barring a miracle. It was not fixed in their most recent release, and it may not be something they have listed as a high priority. As of late, lots of bug reports were simply ignored, multi-gpu support (Crossfire)put on the backburner for months, I am not sure why this was, but something changed over at AMD, and myself a few other long time driver feedback people pulled out shop and left due to bug reports and other such multi-gpu support simply being ignored for months on end. So that was that.

Good luck. I hope this guide helps those having issues.

Here is a few pictures to help you if you need them

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/367109-display-driver-uninstaller-how-use.html

Edited by RinaldoGandolphi on March 24, 2017 4:00PM
Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
Officer Fire and Ice
Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• Fulcrum52
    Fulcrum52
    I think Zenimax can be partially blamed for not pushing this issue to AMD.
  • Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On Win 10, when I got the flickering grass with the latest drivers, I just simply right clicked on the start bar and selected "Programs and Features"

Double clicked on AMD Software and said yes to uninstall

Installed the 17.1.2 AMD drivers selecting the clean install option (Crimson Relive edition 17.1.2)
    support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous/detail?os=Windows%2010%20-%2064&rev=17.1.2

And everything works fine

Edited by Ojustaboo on March 30, 2017 1:30PM
  • Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rolled back to 17.1.1 myself.
    I heard that the newest optional update 17.3.3 doesn't fix the problem either..
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
  • Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran 17.1.2 fine, I read that 17.2.1 had the flickering grass problem so didn't upgrade.

I did however upgrade to 17.3 and like you say, flickering grass problem still there.

A list of older drivers for anyone that wants can be found here
    support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous?os=Windows%2010%20-%2064

• RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I only chose to reccommend Display Driver Uninstaller because it removes every single remenent including all the registry entries and everything else associated with the AMD/Nvidia Drivers. In otherwords you won't have any event viewer errors or something not working right. It literally removes everything.

You don't have to use it, but I have used it for years, especially when installing a new GPU, it clears everything then shuts the machine down ready to put the new card in.

if the uninstaller in Control Panel did the trick for you, good deal. This was just the idiot proof way of doing it to ensure everything gets removed correctly.
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• TheMachineKiller
    TheMachineKiller
    ✭✭✭
    Both versions 17.1.2 and 17.1.1 didn't even function with my computer. Have had to stick with 16.2.2 this entire year. Get your sh*t together AMD
    Vehemence
    Solo Extraordinaire
      Miss Machine - AD Wolfskull - DC Ok Cool - DC Wheremigoin - DC
  • Kamatsu
    Kamatsu
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just downloaded and installed the newest drivers - 17.4.1 April 3rd - and the flickering grass appears to have been resolved. I tried a few different zones and saw no flickering after doing a clean install to these drivers.
    o_O
  • ZOS_PeterT
    ZOS_PeterT
    ✭✭✭
    You can find some additional suggestions in this thread here.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios

Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site

Staff Post