Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Nightblade stamina needs help

byrness
byrness
Hey guys iv been playing for a few months now and have been on the forum for about one month so take it easy on me lol
It's my first mmo and as the title said my a nightblade stamina dw/bow with cp 214ish.

My weapon damage is around 2700 crit is about 50% and have putting points into physical penetration, health is at 19000 after food. Can't remember what my spell and physical resist is at but have about 30 cp point in each.

Iv been having problems in vet dungeon where I want to be up close to the boss so can be using suprise attack in my rotation cause I find it does a lot of damage fast, but I find if I spend to much time in there I get scared off because of my health bar is fluctuating so much and end up dying at some point. I end up kitting around the edge of the battlefield using my bow that does less damage and makes boss fights to long.

When I'm in close I'm trying my best to stay out of red pools of death and dodge roll back when boss does big aoe's. Is just that I don't know the dungeon machines well enough to be able to weave in and out when it is safe to do so?

If I stay out and kit around is my bow doing enough damage not to slow down the group? I do not have master bow at this point in time.
But Iam buffing up and taking potions that add weapon damage and crit.

Or this that the healer is not doing his good? I'm only ever in there and up close when the tank has the bosses attention or is the other dps is not doing his good when I spend time kitting around causing the group to be slow.

I know there a lot of variables to consider and I'm not after a quick answer to fix everything just a few tips so I can improve my own game play.
  • paul_j
    paul_j
    ✭✭✭
    Try using blood craze (morph of twin slashes) and blood thirst (morph of flurry) both in the dual wield skill line
  • paul_j
    paul_j
    ✭✭✭
    Also try and keep deadly cloak up
  • byrness
    byrness
    Should I be using shuffle or the nightblade version sorry forgot name.
  • t3hdubzy
    t3hdubzy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mirage works great or you can use shuffle, honestly though I range most boss fights and only go in for melee in short spurts for ult drop or similar. You could also try using same but different gear to spec for a little more surviviability as well. In cp 600 though and generally do dungeons in my pvp gear since i dont pve often and i cant be bothered to dress rehearsal all the time. I did for a while though carry around agility rings in healthy and robust just for that purpose tho
  • paul_j
    paul_j
    ✭✭✭
    Nope not necessary. With those three skills up you should be fine as long as you know when there is going to be burst damage from mobs or bosses. As long as you stay away from red circles, the skills should keep you up and your healer should be able to do the rest
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do not also stand together with the tank side by side. What you want is to hit the boss from the back, always. Most bosses do this cleave attacks that hit in an arc in front of them. This might be what is making your health flunctuate a little too much for comfort.

Also, do watch video of the dungeon fights. While it might be better that you watch before a fight, I find it more useful (at least to myself) to watch the video of the fight after I do it. The thing is, I rather go in, do that fight on the fly and if I do die, it gives me this unique perspective to the fight. I then watch a video on it and really, it will all click together when you do run it again.

It's really good that it does seem you are pulling your weight as a dps because the fights do go slower without you going melee but as the saying goes, a dead dps does no dps. Always watch the area around you, have better views, always keep a watch on your healer or tanks health. Keep them alive, and usually the fight is won, even if it is through attrition.

All the best!
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • malicia
    malicia
    ✭✭✭✭
    @byrness - firstly, kudos for asking advice!

I also play a stamblade, and am also by no means the best player around. The only healing skill I carry in dungeons is Vigor, and I only really use it in emergencies. If the healer is really good I don't use it at all.

What I'm currently trying to work on is to learn the actual range of my attacks. My main spammable is Surprise Attack, weaved in (at least, my noobish version of weaving) either light or heavy attacks. I'm starting to realize that they reach further than I thought - I don't have to stand underneath the boss's armpits to damage him.

Something else which is helping me is to do the same dungeon over and over. Currently I'm searching for a Kra'gh helm in divines, so I'm doing vFG1 whenever my pledges for the day are finished. I'm tanking the dungeon - switching only gear and skills - and was fairly nervous the first few times that I'm going to let the group down. After a few repeats I know I can keep the bosses' aggro and that I can survive, even with a bad healer, so I'm focussing now on pulling more mobs and buffing my group more. The confidence that multiple (no wipe) clears bring really helps you to stop worrying and start playing.

On what server are you? PC or console?

*Edit - To add to what @RavenSworn said - when I tank, I try to let the boss face away from my group. I'm really a noob tank, so I'm pretty sure that doing that will come naturally for experienced tanks. If one of the DDs then insist on standing next to me, he gets caught in all the damage cones that the boss aims at me. I try my best to create a safe playing field for the rest of my group, but please don't join me in the frying pan. :p
    Edited by malicia on March 28, 2017 8:46PM
    PC, EU
    Not elite, not the best. Just enjoying ESO.
    Not the worst either. "Casual" != "totally ignorant"
    @taciti
  • shack80
    shack80
    ✭✭✭
    byrness wrote: »
    Hey guys iv been playing for a few months now and have been on the forum for about one month so take it easy on me lol
    It's my first mmo and as the title said my a nightblade stamina dw/bow with cp 214ish.

My weapon damage is around 2700 crit is about 50% and have putting points into physical penetration, health is at 19000 after food. Can't remember what my spell and physical resist is at but have about 30 cp point in each.

Your weapon damage is around avarage, but the crit is quite poor for stamblade. You dont wan't to waste your points on penetration. With Surprise attack and 2x sharpened daggers you will get more than enough penetration. You can also boost it with Kragh set and nightmother set. Also you have more than needed health. U only need around 17k with the food. Your stamina should be 30k+. About 1000 increase in stamina means about 100 weapon damage.
    Iv been having problems in vet dungeon where I want to be up close to the boss so can be using suprise attack in my rotation cause I find it does a lot of damage fast, but I find if I spend to much time in there I get scared off because of my health bar is fluctuating so much and end up dying at some point. I end up kitting around the edge of the battlefield using my bow that does less damage and makes boss fights to long.

For this you should have three things. First of all CP:s at elemental defender and Hardy. Those are the two things you wan't to have at 85-95 when you have the needed cp's. The third thing is vigor which is the bread and butter. You have to keep it active all the time.
    When I'm in close I'm trying my best to stay out of red pools of death and dodge roll back when boss does big aoe's. Is just that I don't know the dungeon machines well enough to be able to weave in and out when it is safe to do so?

If I stay out and kit around is my bow doing enough damage not to slow down the group? I do not have master bow at this point in time.
    But Iam buffing up and taking potions that add weapon damage and crit.

Bow bar should only be used for buffs and AOE,s. You main damage comes from inclose personal. Surprise attack, light attack, dots and aoe's. That all about it.

You will learn the mechanics by just playing, hopefully you could get to a group that is willing to guide you.
    Or this that the healer is not doing his good? I'm only ever in there and up close when the tank has the bosses attention or is the other dps is not doing his good when I spend time kitting around causing the group to be slow.

I know there a lot of variables to consider and I'm not after a quick answer to fix everything just a few tips so I can improve my own game play.

If you have a good healer you should have no problem, but spend you points on hardy and elemental defender, those two are quite important, even the healer cant do miragles if you get one/two shotted.
  • byrness
    byrness
    Thanks for all the tips guys finding it really helpful I'm now using vigor on both bars. Feeling more confident in dungeons and where I should be standing and doing.

I actually had the wrong munder stone active I must turned a random one on when I was exploring the world and forgot to switch back to the thief, and changed a glyph to weapon damage that I thought i did already lol.
    Weapon damage is now 2880 and crit 60%.
    Edited by byrness on March 30, 2017 2:36AM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My stamblade is first and foremost a thief, so Concealed Weapon is important to him, so he doesn't have Surprise Attack.

Is there any hope for him as a quality dungeon DPSer? :)
  • malicia
    malicia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the tips guys finding it really helpful I'm now using vigor on both bars....

I always equip Vigor when I PUG, as you never know how good the healer will be. With a good healer you shouldn't need Vigor, but even with a bad healer, you should be fine with Vigor on just one bar.

So, would you mind posting what skills you have on the two bars?
    PC, EU
    @taciti
  • malicia
    malicia
    ✭✭✭✭
    My stamblade is first and foremost a thief, so Concealed Weapon is important to him, so he doesn't have Surprise Attack.

Nope. :p

Reason, and may someone knowledgeable correct me if I'm wrong!: Concealed Weapon is the magic morph of Veiled Strike, meaning that it scales of your magica and not your stamina.

What you may do, if you really want to keep concealed weapon, is to use Rapid Strikes as a spammable in dungeons. Most NBs prefer SA to RS because of RS's channeling time (0.6s), but there are builds out there (mostly with Maelstorm weapons, though) doing 40k DPS that uses RS.
    PC, EU
    @taciti
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    malicia wrote: »

Nope. :p

Reason, and may someone knowledgeable correct me if I'm wrong!: Concealed Weapon is the magic morph of Veiled Strike, meaning that it scales of your magica and not your stamina.

What you may do, if you really want to keep concealed weapon, is to use Rapid Strikes as a spammable in dungeons. Most NBs prefer SA to RS because of RS's channeling time (0.6s), but there are builds out there (mostly with Maelstorm weapons, though) doing 40k DPS that uses RS.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe rs will proc some of the monster helms effects as well. That'll help much.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • malicia
    malicia
    ✭✭✭✭
    RavenSworn wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe rs will proc some of the monster helms effects as well. That'll help much.

I have no idea if it does, but you I'm going to try that. I currently slot SA as my main damage dealer on my tanking skillset, and I'm struggling to proc Kra'gh (the only set which I have). If RS procs it, I might be able to almost double my tanking-DPS without sacrificing much.
    PC, EU
    @taciti
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I've had the magicka morph of jabs (can't remember off the top of my head right now) to proc the valkyn skoria. I know grothdarr also processes under certain abilities so you can try that one as well.

Of Wolf and Raven
  • byrness
    byrness
    I'm pretty sure SA is considered a melee attack this is just what Iv read on Deltias wed site.
  • malicia
    malicia
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've tried it last night. RS does seem to work well, Kra'gh procced fairly reliably.
    PC, EU
    @taciti
  • malicia
    malicia
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure SA is considered a melee attack this is just what Iv read on Deltias wed site.

SA itself is. But Concealed Weapon is a magic morph, so I guess it will scale of magica rather than stamina.
    PC, EU
    @taciti