Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Windows 10 at 2017

SteadyGrounds
Hello There. I am upgrading some of the components of my current build:

i7 860
SUPER TALENT RAMS DDR3
Sapphire Radeon TOXIC R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 Operating on an OEM Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, the game run smooth but the PC shuts down after several hours due to heat
Intel H55 Express Chipset
Sedion 120v
to:

Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4
Sapphire Radeon TOXIC R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 I t's hard to find a Windows 7 Ultimate,besides the main Microsoft online store sells Win8 and 10 only
ASUS ROG Maximus IX Formula LGA1151 DDR4
Corsair H100i V2 Extreme 240mm

I read a lot of 2 years old threads bashing windows 10. So, I wonder are there any issues in running this game on Windows 10 this year. I want to set up my PC before the Morrowind launching date.

Thank You,
SteadyGrounds
  • Thestephenmcraeub17_ESO
    I've never had an issue that I can directly link to Windows 10, and I've been playing ESO on it since W10 launched.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got a new rig myself, and it's Windows 10 (my old rig is a Windows 7 machine). I've only been playing on the new one for a week, but so far I'm not seeing any issues. Or at least, I'm not seeing any more issues than I was seeing before. I've still got a good chance of crashing when I log out (of all the times to crash lol), but I was seeing that on my Windows 7 machine too.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • WalkingLegacy
    WalkingLegacy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should have saved some money and bought an i5.

Or a Ryzen 1700X.

Anyways, runs fine on W10.
  • SteadyGrounds

Or a Ryzen 1700X.

I don't know. I never been a fan of i5
  • SteadyGrounds

Or a Ryzen 1700X.

UrQuan wrote: »
    I just got a new rig myself, and it's Windows 10 (my old rig is a Windows 7 machine). I've only been playing on the new one for a week, but so far I'm not seeing any issues. Or at least, I'm not seeing any more issues than I was seeing before. I've still got a good chance of crashing when I log out (of all the times to crash lol), but I was seeing that on my Windows 7 machine too.

pheeeeew. Thank You very much :-)
  • SteadyGrounds
    I've never had an issue that I can directly link to Windows 10, and I've been playing ESO on it since W10 launched.

Now I can rest assure. :-)

Thank You
  • WalkingLegacy
    WalkingLegacy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Or a Ryzen 1700X.

The i5 7600k is barely slower than a 7700k for gaming. A good cooler and an overclock will make it perform as good. If you got the money though, more power to you.

I'm rocking an i7 950 and if Ryzen is worth the previews say I'll be flipping the bird to Intel and giving AMD a shot. Look how much Intel has dropped their prices and it isn't even out yet :smiley:
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    We'll find out soon enuf. I just ordered a new machine during the presidents day sale, and it just shipped last night. I got a laptop for family reasons, because I expect to be travelling a lot between Cincy and Pittsburgh to help my brothers when I can with our aging father (92 years young). We just lost mom last year, and we're all trying to hang in there. So I figured since I'm gonna have to put out a chunk of change, I'll go all out so that I'll have something that will last me quite a while.

I got:
    alienware 15 r3
    i7-7700HQ
    Windows 10 pro
    GTX 1060 with 6gb GDDR5
    32gb DDR4 2400mHz
    128gb SSD
    1tb SATA (i may upgrade this to SSD sometime later on)

That should hold me for a little while <g>.

• Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Early builds of Windows 10 were difficult to work with because in its continuously-changing state, companies didn't want to work on device drivers that would quickly become obsolete.

It's been a stable build with stable drivers for a while now, though.
    signing off
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Been running Windows 10 since it was available. No issues at all that weren't because of my own stupidity or old hardware.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • unjulationb16_ESO
    windows 7 does what I want it to in the way I want it to, and I can still get under the bonnet and tweak about with it as I see fit - so at the moment I'm sticking with 7, but there will be a time if/when a game or a program I want to play/use will come along and it will force my move over -

probably by that time they will have ironed out any of the normal ms bugs......and by that time there'll be all the fixis from third partys that get rid of all the normal ms bloat-ware to boot ;)
  • M0bi
    M0bi
    ✭✭✭
    I read a lot of 2 years old threads bashing windows 10. So, I wonder are there any issues in running this game on Windows 10 this year. I want to set up my PC before the Morrowind launching date.

Win10 very stable for gaming
    FOR THE DOMINION!!
  • Chronicburn
    Chronicburn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I miss pc gaming with all the threads about what my box has in it ... hell I finished mine 2 years ago so I know it's totally outdated but now only my kids have time to play it so i don't notice lol ... to do list ... find more time to game and upgrade box!
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't research too deep into it, but from what i remember right out of the gate when Windows 10 launched everything I was able to find said Windows 10 is the best Windows for gaming in a long time. I believe the best Windows release in a long time period most likely.
  • rosendoichinoveb17_ESO
    rosendoichinoveb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why would you buy an i7 7700k right now what AMD Ryzen is dropping the shelves in a few days. You know that intel will be forced to drop their CPU prices significantly and you will regret it if you buy a CPU now.
    Edited by rosendoichinoveb17_ESO on February 27, 2017 6:33AM
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been running Win 10 since it went RTM and no issues for me.
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been playing since Win10 launched also no issues in general. Just an occasional crash (probably due to too many data intensive addons)
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • Denyiir
    Denyiir
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can buy genuine windows 7 key on ebay for 10 dollars, thats what I did about month ago.
  • aLi3nZ
    aLi3nZ
    ✭✭✭✭
    Windows 10 had some issues when it came out but it is good now, not really many issues. I say this as an I.T. Guy btw.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Same for me. Win10 hasn't caused any issues for me, the only issues I've had with ESO were a conflict with Fraps on launch but that seems to be fixed now as well.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Sigma957
    Sigma957
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play ESO on win10 and it runs fine, probably better than win7 as it is using less memory.
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah Microsoft finally had the CEO change and the new guy in charge was serious about cutting the fat and giving people better quality and reliability. Windows 10 is probably the best Windows in a very long time.

That being said, how is Windows 10 security and privacy? Does the stereotype of Windows being a virus/bug magnet from the late 90s and 2000s still apply now?
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Or a Ryzen 1700X.

The i5 7600k is barely slower than a 7700k for gaming. A good cooler and an overclock will make it perform as good. If you got the money though, more power to you.

I'm rocking an i7 950 and if Ryzen is worth the previews say I'll be flipping the bird to Intel and giving AMD a shot. Look how much Intel has dropped their prices and it isn't even out yet :smiley:
    For gaming the i5 works as well for cpu heavy stuff the i7 is nice.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I upgraded to Windows 10 shortly before the upgrade stopped being free and I've not had any issues. I held off because, for reasons I could never quite identify, I was suspicious of 10, I didn't expect it to work as well as 7 and I didn't want to upgrade, but I finally decided I may as well (on the basis that I could always create an install disc and then roll it back).

But the worst problem I've had is it periodically forgets it's installed on a desktop and comes up with stupid messages asking me if I want it to search for free wi-fi or 'warning' me that my webcam isn't working properly (because there has never been a camera connected to this computer).

All of my games have worked fine, both ones I already had installed and ones I installed after the upgrade.
    Yeah Microsoft finally had the CEO change and the new guy in charge was serious about cutting the fat and giving people better quality and reliability. Windows 10 is probably the best Windows in a very long time.

That being said, how is Windows 10 security and privacy? Does the stereotype of Windows being a virus/bug magnet from the late 90s and 2000s still apply now?

My understand is that was always sort-of a myth. Windows was never any less (or more) secure than other formats, it was just the most popular one to write viruses for and they were more easily distributed because so many people, and in particular, so many companies, used Windows computers. Write a virus for a Mac in the 90's and you'd have a hard time even getting it downloaded, let alone getting anyone to care about it. These days you can even get viruses written specifically for phones.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Windows will always be a virus magnet due to its prevalence in the market place, but in terms of security it is greatly improved over previous releases.

There are many architectural changes implemented to protect against the attacks we see in 2017, PtH, golden ticket and other credential theft types of attack. The MS vision is to eradicate the username & password, for this reason, but Windows clients are only one building block in this strategy, so you cannot acheive all gains unless you also run Server 2016, but nonetheless, Windows 10 is a far more secure OS than 7 or 8.

There are privacy concerns with Cortana however (as with all similar personal assistants), and many people disable it for this reason.
  • c0rp
    c0rp
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Or a Ryzen 1700X.

More and more games are starting to use hyperthreading as an advantage. Battlefield 1 is one example where the game runs better on an i7 vs i5. You cant really say it's a waste of money any more to get an i7 for gaming. Just an FYI. Ofc, if ESO is going to be the only game he ever plays then yes, it is prob a waste of money.
    Force weapon swap to have priority over EVERYTHING. Close enough.
    Make stamina builds even with magicka builds.
    Disable abilities while holding block.
    Give us a REASON to do dungeons more than once.
    Remove PVP AoE CAP. It is ruining Cyrodiil.
    Fix/Remove Forward Camps. They are ruining Cyrodiil.
    Impenetrability needs to REDUCE CRIT DAMAGE. Not negate entire builds.
    Werewolf is not equal to Vamps/Bats.
  • ElliottXO
    ElliottXO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    W10 is the best thing since instant noodles.
  • raglau
    raglau
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ElliottXO wrote: »
    W10 is the best thing since instant noodles.

Nothing is *better* than instant noodles however. It can only hope to ever be a second cousin to instant noodles.
  • Sleep
    Sleep
    ✭✭✭✭
    been using win10 for a long time, haven't notice any issues with this game.