The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.

47's thoughts on the whole stam vs mag in PVE thing, gear, and a few continuing annoyances.

f047ys3v3n
f047ys3v3n
✭✭✭✭✭
We are now at the point that on the recent spree of vDSA runs I did I did not allow a single mag dps and accepted only stam dps's with vMA weapons. This is the first time I have ever been so inflexibly restrictive of resource type and gear but it is simply not worth it to do content of this difficulty any other way. During these runs I played with a variety of different skill level stam dps's. Some, ironically, are some of the finest mag dps players on the server and only recently started playing stam toons. They got their vMA dual wield weapons ages ago on mag toons and only recently switched to stam. They may have sucked for stam (were often almost 10k behind experienced stam players) but they were still often 10k higher in dps than on their top of the heap perfectly practiced magica toons. That is how far from any kind of parity we now are and how exclusionary, in terms of both gear and build, but not so much in terms of skill, it is now beneficial to be. I am dropping this all here on PTS now because I think PTS is the place, and this is the time most beneficial to get developer attention right before the balance portion of a content development cycle.

Table of contents
Content scaling and to buff mag or nerf stam
Utility, the red herring
Deeeeeps
Gear the biggest culprit
vDSA destro staff as an answer to lack of two vMA mag weapons
Vicious vs. Infallible:
Intrinsics, relics of a very different past
Skills, the silver lining
Stepwise summary of stam vs magica

Other unrelated bugaboos
Dps dummies:
Single cast ground skills
General vDSA weapon weakness
Friends list whisper command
Groupfinder

Content scaling and to buff mag or nerf stam:
I don't think any one will argue that stam is doing too much dps and mag not enough. It is more complicated than this. Some content, vMA and vSO, for instance, are scaled for around 20k and are well suited for mag dps, some content, pledges, are scaled for 10k and not suited for anything, others, vAA hard mode, are scalled for 35k and well suited for stam dps, and still others vDSA, are so unevenly scaled that they don't work for anything since high enough dps to down the final bosses adds on schedule also allows you to dps them down so fast that you can actually prevent their even spawning (not sure why you guys screwed all this up so much by scaling up the adds health many times more than the bosses.) I understand that I am oversimplifying somewhat as you intend for anyone breathing to be able to do pledges, that scaling is not wrong or an accident, but I do think you intended vMA and vDSA to be on similar levels as well as vAA and vSO. In fact they are not and, in the case of vDSA, they are obviously not even on the same level as themselves. I really don't think it takes an unreasonable amount of time or intelligence to get this stuff right and I think it should be fixed.

Utility, the red herring:

Now lets talk about stam vs magica regarding utility. It has long been said that magica has more utility and stam does more dps. It was speculated that this was intended and for a long time it was at least true. Most endgame players continued to be mag despite knowing full well that stam was higher dps because the utility, usually in the form of passive NB heals, breath on bar templars who also had shards, dk's that could slot chains or the AOE interupt, or sorcs with a massive shield, was deemed worth it. Well, NB passive heals have been massively nerfed (fewer, they don't double crit, and the aoe one dosen't scale) as has the templar breath (half as many heals), everybody, stam or magica, now has a universal sheild, and the DK skills are, except for the second boss in vMOL, just run by the tank. Sure there is still some utility but it is not what is was. From the other direction, stam has been given a sheild, vigor for personal and group heals, and has a weapon major expedition / damage mitigation. Stam sorc has even more utility with a universal heals for damage (shared with mag) and a major expedition / massive AOE (not shared.) Realistically I do not consider mag toons to have any more utility than stam at this point unless you consider the other two roles (healer and tank) in a group to be the utility. The only thing that mag toons have is range and, realistically, only NB's, sorcs, have this with their full dps as the highest maglar and magdk builds are melee.

Deeeeeps
Realistically, even if magica still had great utility relative to stam I don't think anybody would favor it because the dps is just not in the ball park any more. Back when I favored utility mag over higher dps stam I would often be beaten by 5-10k on perfectly stationary stam friendly bosses and win by 5k on ones that had a lot of mechanics and movement. It was a trade off, utility and better performance on more involved bosses for massively lower AOE (it was lower even before removing magica det and nerfing NB's funnel) and performance on less involved bosses. Now, on a vDSA boss I might be at 23k and a comparably skilled stam player at 45k or even a new convert with vMA weapons at 35k. It's not ball park and magica is soundly beaten even on the most stam unfriendly bosses. Furthermore, most of the things that make a boss stam unfriendly do not come into play anymore as all such mechanics long ceased to even be done. In the case of the vDSA final boss, perhaps the best case in point, the second adds do not even spawn for high dps stam groups. That boss is one of the hardest fights in the game to beat with mag dps right now and it is trivial for stam users. This despite the fact that older methods of doing it decidedly favored ranged players. While I realize that a few, I would call them esoteric, mag builds do not quite suffer the same magnitude of deficiency and are still used in some trials. These being splash sorc and dk builds. Probably less than 10 total players exist on the NA server who both have the equipment and have mastered these builds which are still, I might add, significantly lower in damage output than comparably skilled stam builds. Not only are these players and builds the exception to the rule of magica being uncompetitive but they are also comparing apples to oranges as players of this skill, on stam, would still gain 10k or more. Magica is simply too far in dps from stam for the utility that it doesn't have anyway to make up the ground.
We will divide the reasons for of this into 3 main categories. Gear, intrinsics, and skills. Unlike the past, skill balance is actually in the best place it has even been (bravo by the way) and with the exception of stam DK is really pretty good.

Gear the biggest culprit:
Gear is the first and largest of the issues. According to the PTS notes, you are adjusting vMA dual wield for +3k wep damage to +2k and this is a start but only that. It is basic that, in order to balance stam and mag generally, their elite gear must also be balanced since otherwise to balance elite players would hamper the general populace. Alcast demonstrated that vMA dual wield weapons are worth 12k dps over crafted set weapons. Stam also gets a vMA bow whereas magica does not get a second vMA buff weapon. Together this is maybe 14k maybe 15k in total vMA buff for stam and only about 2.5k for mag. Now you have nerfed vMA dual weild so 11k total instead. Still you see that this is too big a difference. vMA dual weild must be adjusted to a max 3k in benefit (~750 weapon power buff.) Furthermore, vDSA destro staff (currently not worth running except on healer back bar) must be made around a ~2-3k buff for mag users. This could be done by any combination of making the skill and the enchant better (currently this DOT is too low to be used and the buff to it is also poor) or, by just adding to the magica pool buff (this should be done anyway as it is only half as strong as the vMA spell power buff, and being basically a standard single peice buff is rather neutral overall as it is not like you are going to leave a slot without a set peice in it.) I would not buff the vMA destro to match the dual weild. ~2-3k is really a good enough buff for an elite weapon. Having the vMA staff be best in slot is necessary for mag users as they must have elite weapon buffs on both bars just as stam users do in order to balance things. Since, unlike stam users, they have only one weapon having a vMA on one bar and a vDSA on the other is the only way to achieve this.

vDSA destro staff as an answer to lack of two vMA mag weapons:
Getting further into the problems with the vDSA staff that is not currently worth running on a dps, it really has three issues. These are it's static magica buff, the ability it buffs, and the magnitude of that buff. The static magica buff of 1k is insignificantly different than a standard strength magica set buff. In all but rare situations it will be replacing such a set item and therefore this buff is lateral and not a buff at all. As for the ability, a few players, who still magica pvp, use clench as a CC. They mostly do this with non-flame varieties of staff. Nobody uses it in PVE because, despite the attractive 8 second DOT nature of it, the DOT is far to low in magnitude. With the highest damage flame staff variety, on my NB, the DOT totals 11.3k over 8 seconds and would replace a funnel health that hits for 8k and a magelight worth 5.4% (seems like it should be 7% but tool tips are always wrong) max magica while costing 2428 magica instead of 873. Therefore, even in an ideal weave with no lost DOT time it could be expected to loose the player significant DPS at a very high cost in magica. This DOT is not even close to useful as a damage source. Realistically for a DOT to be worth sloting the bare minimum is about +2k dps. The damage from flame clench would have to be increased by more than 2x for it to be worth slotting as a DOT even on a NB for which it only would be replacing the lowly magelight on the bar. If flame clench were made viable that still would not get the vDSA staff to the +~2-3k dps increase that it would need to have to balance stam and magic as it's enchant adds only 516 total damage to this DOT. This is one of those magnitudes that is just kind of comical. For those interested it adds that damage to the initial hit and none to each tick but the effect is the same. The enchant adds a whopping 64.5 damage per second to that ability that is itself a dps loss. It therefore needs to be roughly 39 times stronger than it is after the base skill is itself buffed by more than 2x. Obviously you will want to spread that out over the DOT's a bit or it would be roughly of the damage magnitude and CC effect of a crit charge (not counting vMA two hander lol) in PVP and you know who might get killed by a magica build and nerf us all again.

Vicious vs. Infallible:
On the gear front, vMA is not the only issue as the elite 5 peice stam set vicious opidian is far better than the elite 5 peice mag set, infallible aether. both of which are BIS for their respective builds. For some reason infallible was made a group buff set that actually doesn't proc it's 5 peice group or personal buff heavy attack buff for any of the classic, ranged mag dps weave builds (which this set was originally designed for). It is still barely BIS (actually if you have a vMA staff only the 3 or 4 peice is BIS) because of the 3 piece buff but it is not impressive while VO is awe inspiring. At the very least both 5 peice buffs of Infallible should be made to proc on all light and heavy attacks in the manner of the vMA staff and then it should be evaluated to see if that is enough. I should add that interestingly, the big stam return buff on VO actually procs even on kills not made by the player wearing it so it is actually even better than it says. Lastly, though it matters not to the endgame player, there is no truly mag dps monster set amongst the new sets in the way their is now a stam dps set. by this I mean a stam dps set will have a + wep damage and a melee range dps special proc. This exists. A comparable mag would have a + spell damage and a ranged dps special proc (like mephalas used too, neraneth, or valken.) No such set exists and no + spell damage first bonus sets are slated. I might also add that because of the strength of VO it is unlikely that anyone will use a stam dps monster set whereas because of the weakness of Infallible 3 Infal, 5 TBS or Julianos, 2 monster, and 1 vMA (or buffed masters) would actually be appealing.

Intrinsics, relics of a very different past:
Much of the problem with intrinsics is a relic of the past that has not been corrected for current conditions. An example of this is the excess weapon damage of dual wield or two handed relative to staff. Magic was far more versatile and had slightly more damage output than stam (there were actually 2 stam dps's on each of our #1 NA 1.5 runs) when this change was made. Though it was poor execution then, it made some sense. Now that stam close to doubles magic dps and has every bit the utility it makes no sense. Similarly, the passives on weapon lines are better than those on staff and medium armor passives better than light. These things were irrelevant when magica regenerated ultimate at 4x the rate of stam, had spell sym, all class skills and ultimates scaled to magica, and only magica had decent heals. None of these are now the case and so these imbalances matter bigtime. Lastly, armor should also be returned to the mirror image of medium providing more spell resistance and less physical resistance as before instead of just less resistance overall.

Skills, the silver lining:
I mention skills last because, overall, I believe these are better balanced today then they have ever been before. I know, it's hard to believe this since problems with gear sets and intrinsics have overall balance mag vs. stam the worst it has ever been but I actually don't think the skills themselves are very off. The only adjustments I would suggest prior to fixing the gear and intrinsic imbalances are a reduction in magnitude of some of the Stam DK DOT's. These were scaled back in the days when they were doing not poison but fire damage and thus were unbuffed by CP passives. They need a 20-30% reduction.

Stepwise summary of stam vs magica:
Step 1, balancing gear:
Set vMA dual weild to + 750 weapon damage
Make all 5 peice infallible buffs proc on all light or heavy attacks
I increase the damage of clench by about 2.5x, increase the masters destro staffs buff to it by probably 30x, and increase the base magica pool on the staff 2x.
Or,
Just increase the magica pool buff of the staff by enough to increase dps by the 2-3k (this would be a very big number) and forget the skill that you don't want to make useful.

Step 2, balancing intrinsics:
If step 1 still leaves your magica builds far behind the stam ones in output,
Bring staff spell power in line with that of two handed and dual weild.
Buff light armor and worthless staff passives.
Step 3, stam DK Dot's:
You really should probably nerf some of the stam DK dot's by around 20%

Other unrelated bugaboos:

Dps dummies:

Probably the first problem behind all other problems is, naturally, measuring the problem. The lack of a dps dummy will have many argue with the dps numbers I use in this post based mostly on differences in where we are considering those dps numbers derived from rather than any actual differences of opinion. That will muddy the issue here as it no doubt does inside your dev team meetings. Fix it, put dummies in every fighters guild, lore friendly, fixed. Furthermore, these dummies should be monitored to see what players are doing so that different builds could be analyzed and balanced easily by the dev's.

Single cast ground skills:
Thank you for your attempt to fix the double press ground cast skills such as healing springs and liquid lightning. However, the problem is not solved. Press healing springs twice and see what happens. Sure the first one goes off but the second actually doesn't and instead sticks at half cast with the circle but not the cast. It should never be stuck half cast as it prevents other things from going off. Presses that happen mid first cast should just que like everything else and be wiped if a different key, say breath, is pressed. People are still dying.

General vDSA weapon weakness:
Other vDSA weapons also really aren't strong enough. This is content is simalar in difficulty and time to complete to vMA. I am sure that even stam classes with a spamable such as stamplar and stamblade would like to use their spamable in concert with vDSA dual weild instead of vMA they just can't because vDSA weapons arn't much good and vMA ones are the most OP thing this game has had since batswarm at launch. Similarly, a ranged stam build with vMA and vDSA bows one on each bar is an interesting thought. right now really only the masters resto staff (BIS and basically required to return stam to all your hungry stam DPS's,) masters sword (some tanks like but others don't,) and masters greatsword (ok if you don't have a vMA one) are the only masters weapons of interest of which only resto staff is BIS.

Friends list whisper command:
Can I get a / command and color for a friends-list whisper. We have individual whispers and guild whispers but damn a friends-list one would be useful. It is just so hard to go one by one down the list trying to put together or finish filling a 12 man raid. Make it ESO plus if you have too but man would that ever be some nice functionality.

Groupfinder:
You probably already know this, groupfinder still doesn't work. Last time I got a tank who was actually offline and two players marked heals only. I am not sure why this is so hard to get right but I do know it is still a total mess. It doesn't help that it insists on pulling you into the dungeon after making these messes of a group as you can't do anything and are interrupted by travels as you try to fix the issue. Combine all this with the timeout when you leave a formed group, the difficulty of kicking players, and I would really rather just stand around grahatwood screaming my head off when I am looking to pug it.

Thanks for reading,
I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dear god.....that wall.
    I'M BLIND!!!!!

Drama aside, I largely agree with much of what you said, however, I don't feel buffing the vDSA staff would be the answer as I'd prefer just a buff to Touch entirely over limiting the buff to vDSA wouldn't solve much.

Also, what shield are you referring to with Stamina builds? Bone shield still scales with health so I'm unaware of the stamina shield you are referring too.
    Argonian forever
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well that sums up my sentiments as well.
    Playing since beta...
  • Foxic
    Foxic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think youre out of touch with how much dps magicka dps can actually pull. Magicka sorc has extreme damage potential, and im not talking about the heavy attack build. Any sorc that knows their rotation can majorly out dps that heavy attack build

Im not saying that i wouldnt like a few magicka tweaks, but i legitimately think that pve balance is the best it ever has been in eso. Every class on stam and magic has a raid spot right now and a vast majority of competitive dps players in eso still play magicka
    Edited by Foxic on September 30, 2016 12:32AM
    Mechanically Challenged, PCNA competitive raid guild

Head of The Council of Raiders

First NA vAS Hardmode(#2 world)

World First Immortal Redeemer & Saintly Savior

All #1 Trial scores Clockwork City patch

• RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A great analysis, I think. I hope it will be read by some people who are able to do something good for this game.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a shame many people will not take the few minutes or so to read what is an insightful analysis.

Regarding Mag Vs. Stam DPS imbalance, the devs claim to be aware of it and the next update is supposedly going to address that.

That being said, I would not get your hopes up. The imbalance has been brought up before and people are going to parrot the notion that stam DPS is somehow more dangerous and magicka offers more "utility" (which you are correct in asserting is not true) such that stam deserves to be more powerful. People are also going to argue that vet hardmode Maw basically requires having harness magicka, that proves that magicka DPS is just as viable as stam and arguably still the better all around performer in ESO.

They don't care that spammable (and powerful) gap closers make range irrelevant, that harness magicka is unnecessarily in literally every other piece of ESO content, don't care that PvP is now a joke because of the "justified" power stam has. They only care about their DPS parses. The vMA dagger and axes are ridiculously overperfoming and yet they still complain about the nerf to 2000 additional weapon damage. Good luck convincing them on that 750 figure.

The main problem is that the combat team has no clue what it is like trying to compete as a magicka build. If they did, they would not have made stam ultimate OP and given the destruction staff a redundant overly -expensive DoT that is less effective than the cheaper alternative already available. They would know that literally every single skill in the destruction staff line is inefficient, weak, and outclassed by other alternatives in the game.

And the gear, what a joke. Take a look at this magicka reward you can get from trials:

t5lIu0f.png

Yes, every 10 seconds you have to do something you dont want to (full heavy) just to get the opportunity for some mild damage if someone else also does something they dont want to (full heavy) against the same opponent. You cant even get this damage on your own!

Meanwhile, here is the stam reward you can get from trials:

6900a2afce3c8964c8d233e14251a65e.png

Is this a joke? No cooldown. More damage. Not reliant on a groupmate. Procs while doing normal DPS rotation. Hell, on a full heavy, a dual wield DPS can proc this twice in a single attack!

OR how about taking a look at the ones that have made PvP so much fun the past 4 months:

viper2.png

Every 4 seconds, BAM! you're getting hit for over 3K and that's not even considering a crit.

Meanwhile, how many magicka users are rocking this ill-designed set?

Galerions-Revenge-Set.jpg

That's the same damage viper gives (except it doesn't proc the ridiculous poison procs but that's another story), but you've got to attack the same target with 6 [!] basic attacks within 15 seconds.

It's a joke!

But don't worry magicka players. Because harness magicka is necessary for vet hardmore MoL, you are just as viable in ESO!
    Edited by Joy_Division on September 30, 2016 1:12AM
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You´ve forgotten higher skillcost for magica resulting in an absurd amount of supportskills (and time) needed to keep them from running out of juice.

On stamina it´s throw me a spear once in a while on non redguard - and go.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think youre out of touch with how much dps magicka dps can actually pull. Magicka sorc has extreme damage potential, and im not talking about the heavy attack build. Any sorc that knows their rotation can majorly out dps that heavy attack build

Im not saying that i wouldnt like a few magicka tweaks, but i legitimately think that pve balance is the best it ever has been in eso. Every class on stam and magic has a raid spot right now and a vast majority of competitive dps players in eso still play magicka

I have seen a few big time magica sorc dps videos on youtube. It is really apples and oranges. The ones I have seen rely heavily on splash damage, and cherry picking executes on adds that were often prepped by others. Few fights lend themselves to these very optimistic circumstances and those are the ones I see posted. Even after all this that vaunted magica sorc dps would be seen as very mediocre for a stam build. Given the skill of those players involved their deeps would be much higher as a stam build they just can't be because some of the vMOL team must be ranged. That is the only piece of content with such restrictions. Basing an evaluation on one piece of content was probably what got us into this mess to start with as the Dev's basically designed the mechanics of the final boss of vMA for magisorcs and magiblades and instead of fixing it I expect they just buffed stam until completes on it were easy. The joke of this is that unless you have the vMA weapons for stam the completes are still a bit harder as these mechanics are the most intolerant in the entire game of melee.

I'm not even sure what to say to your comment that PVE balance is the best it has ever been. I honestly hope you just started playing and are misinformed. The alternatives are... I'll just leave it at that.

As for every class and every resource having a place and the majority of endgame raiders still being magica. I cannot name you an endgame raider that I know who has not either rolled a stam toon that they now use in the majority of raids, or, switched roles (I switched to raid heals as I have always had that toon and have all the BIS gear.) Sure, some still put their magica toons on the weekly and a few have to use them for specific roles in vMoL or even continue to run vMA with them because that is what they have practiced but to a man that toon no longer their main raid dps. I realize that there are a few people I do not know for whom this is probably not true as I see their youtube vidoes. I credit this mostly to the specific mechanics and requirements of vMoL and the fact that their main focus in game seems to be that specific leader board. That trial basically requires you to have a certain amount of ranged and a huge over provision of magica DK's. For this reason those raids are provisioned this way. I am also told you have to have harness for vMoL hard mode. Basically designing a piece of content to require a few magica only abilities at a few places does not balance make. I could make content NB's only by simply requiring you to cloak for a full minute while sneaking through an area where all enemies instantly one shot you. Doesn't make NB's OP it rather makes it bad design. Sure some builds should be better at this or that than others but making content that say requires a certain amount of dk's because you must have AOE interrupts is just bad design. I really love some of the mechanics in vMoL. Some are among the best mechanics in the game but there are also some mechanics in there that are just bad design as well and should have been fixed almost a year ago now.
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I should mention that I specifically avoided much mention of PVP in my post for a variety of reasons. PVP is hard to make any blanket statements about the balance of since players practice such widely variant strategies. How do you really evaluate the relative strength of a tanky player that cannot be killed by a glass cannon who he cannot kill? Should you nerf the tank because it is unfair he cannot be killed or hamper the escapes and heals of the cannon so that he can be whittled down? Is it so unfair when a ganker blows up a whole unsuspecting group with a VD bomb that you should destroy all NB AOE in PVP and PVE? Apparently so, in that case. Perhaps we should have bigger AOE caps to make groups more invulnerable? I gather this has gone well in the past.

It is also difficult to balance pvp because of the number of very terrible players that wander into there, get spanked, and run to the forums to cry about what they really don't understand. I am sure that some abilities, flappy flap and bats sure still strike me this way, are still very unbalanced and I hear some sets are still a mess but I'll try to keep my ignorant solutions too myself regarding the multifaceted mess that is PVP except to say quit breaking things in PVE for PVP reasons.

I have 2 experiences in PVP.
    1st. I have found magica to hit like a wet noodle and stam to wreck face even without any special gear (I honestly ware my Vicious Ophidian if I dps it is that bad). This is for a combination of reasons. Gap closer, reflects, CC's, negates, and especially AOE.

2nd. I have found that the VD saga is representative of a typical PVP problem cycle. An ability change or gear set creates a situation many in PVP, rightly or wrongly, don't like. Instead of fixing the issue by addressing that specific change a variety of other changes are made to address the problem such as ending magica det and destroying nb heals and AOE. These new issues and treated as unrelated to the original one which has been successfully fixed and are often not treated as issues at all as they tend to show up on PVE. See also, stam regen while blocking, LOS healing, Impulse, ulti regen, and many I have surely forgotten. When do we get a stam VD set. Oh pretty please. Wreck their AOE too then we can all run around in trash pulls doing all single target damage.
  • Foxic
    Foxic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    f047ys3v3n wrote: »

I have seen a few big time magica sorc dps videos on youtube. It is really apples and oranges. The ones I have seen rely heavily on splash damage, and cherry picking executes on adds that were often prepped by others. Few fights lend themselves to these very optimistic circumstances and those are the ones I see posted. Even after all this that vaunted magica sorc dps would be seen as very mediocre for a stam build. Given the skill of those players involved their deeps would be much higher as a stam build they just can't be because some of the vMOL team must be ranged. That is the only piece of content with such restrictions. Basing an evaluation on one piece of content was probably what got us into this mess to start with as the Dev's basically designed the mechanics of the final boss of vMA for magisorcs and magiblades and instead of fixing it I expect they just buffed stam until completes on it were easy. The joke of this is that unless you have the vMA weapons for stam the completes are still a bit harder as these mechanics are the most intolerant in the entire game of melee.

I'm not even sure what to say to your comment that PVE balance is the best it has ever been. I honestly hope you just started playing and are misinformed. The alternatives are... I'll just leave it at that.

As for every class and every resource having a place and the majority of endgame raiders still being magica. I cannot name you an endgame raider that I know who has not either rolled a stam toon that they now use in the majority of raids, or, switched roles (I switched to raid heals as I have always had that toon and have all the BIS gear.) Sure, some still put their magica toons on the weekly and a few have to use them for specific roles in vMoL or even continue to run vMA with them because that is what they have practiced but to a man that toon no longer their main raid dps. I realize that there are a few people I do not know for whom this is probably not true as I see their youtube vidoes. I credit this mostly to the specific mechanics and requirements of vMoL and the fact that their main focus in game seems to be that specific leader board. That trial basically requires you to have a certain amount of ranged and a huge over provision of magica DK's. For this reason those raids are provisioned this way. I am also told you have to have harness for vMoL hard mode. Basically designing a piece of content to require a few magica only abilities at a few places does not balance make. I could make content NB's only by simply requiring you to cloak for a full minute while sneaking through an area where all enemies instantly one shot you. Doesn't make NB's OP it rather makes it bad design. Sure some builds should be better at this or that than others but making content that say requires a certain amount of dk's because you must have AOE interrupts is just bad design. I really love some of the mechanics in vMoL. Some are among the best mechanics in the game but there are also some mechanics in there that are just bad design as well and should have been fixed almost a year ago now.

https://esoleaderboards.com/trial_sample.php?trial=archives

If you look at the top scores for every trial you will see that all of the top guilds are using a majority of magicka for all of them. Not just maw hardmode.

What about for the first year and a half of the game where magicka dks were 15% above everyone else and you only had sorcs and night blades for veils and negates. The only time other classes could compete is when sorcs mines were broken and gave them obscene dps, and when evil hunter was so broken that every competitive raid dd was a stamplar for a few months?

Back when Templar dps was non existent and stam dds weren't even allowed in raids except for the poison stacking ophidian venom/tong bow build.

Think about that before you try to say I'm uninformed. Every dd is viable right now.

• f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you look at the top scores for every trial you will see that all of the top guilds are using a majority of magicka for all of them. Not just maw hardmode.

What about for the first year and a half of the game where magicka dks were 15% above everyone else and you only had sorcs and night blades for veils and negates. The only time other classes could compete is when sorcs mines were broken and gave them obscene dps, and when evil hunter was so broken that every competitive raid dd was a stamplar for a few months?

Back when Templar dps was non existent and stam dds weren't even allowed in raids except for the poison stacking ophidian venom/tong bow build.

Think about that before you try to say I'm uninformed. Every dd is viable right now.

Ok, let's entertain the idea that perhaps you know very much more than me, and entirely possible thing and that somehow through the miracles of random selection the highest dps players I know are all stam even those who have had #1 times on the NA server in the past as magica.

Now I know, and have seen many many times, how people get significantly over 40k single target on their stam toons with vMA dual weild. I even have seen it done (well 40k not significantly over) on stam NB's not using those weapons. I have even seen a few vidoes of folks at more than 40k with magica sorc splash damage. I have actually never, in person, or in a video, seen a magica player post more than 35k (and the ones over 30k have basically all been melee anyway making them equivalent to low dps stam toons) on any single target pull of sustained duration let alone on an actual single target trial boss. This despite that 40k+ (and often that + is large) parses happen commonly on every single trial run I have been on in the last few months from one or more stam toons. It is in fact vanishingly rare to see a magica toon over about 27k.

So,

What is the gear and rotation of a magica NB build that sustains over 40k single target and please post a link to a video of this being done?

What is the gear and rotation of a magica Templar build that sustains over 40k please post a link to a video of this being done?

What is the gear and rotation of a magica sorc that sustains over 40k please post a link to a vidoe of this being done?

I actually think it might be barely possible for a mag dk to do this though a comparable stam one would be over 50 but.... What is the gear and rotation of a magica sorc that sustains over 40k please post a link to a video of this being done?

I'm not kidding here. I would really love to increase my magica nb's dps from 27k to 40k or may magica templar (a ranged build currently) from 25k to 40k. I don't think it can be done even if I did have the good fortune to get a sharpened vMA staff.

I have seen stam builds do all of this trivially, in large numbers, on a daily basis, often with surprisingly little practice, and even a very few times, without vMA dual wield. I would really love to see a magica toon do it because, in my experience the better magica players tend to hang out around 25k with the melee ones being closer to 30 and the ranged closer to 25 while the stam builds hang out closer to 40k with some very few dk's breaking 50 and some players who just switched but have the gear down at 35. in those old 1.5 days you mentioned I remeber stam dk's at 1,200, magical nb's at 1,200, sorcs at 1,100, magica templars at 1,200 though few played this Slayer proved you could, and magia dk's at 1,500. It was unbalanced hugely in terms of utility but dps wise really only magica dk's were out of line and not as far as things are now.
  • Foxic
    Foxic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, let's entertain the idea that perhaps you know very much more than me, and entirely possible thing and that somehow through the miracles of random selection the highest dps players I know are all stam even those who have had #1 times on the NA server in the past as magica.

Now I know, and have seen many many times, how people get significantly over 40k single target on their stam toons with vMA dual weild. I even have seen it done (well 40k not significantly over) on stam NB's not using those weapons. I have even seen a few vidoes of folks at more than 40k with magica sorc splash damage. I have actually never, in person, or in a video, seen a magica player post more than 35k (and the ones over 30k have basically all been melee anyway making them equivalent to low dps stam toons) on any single target pull of sustained duration let alone on an actual single target trial boss. This despite that 40k+ (and often that + is large) parses happen commonly on every single trial run I have been on in the last few months from one or more stam toons. It is in fact vanishingly rare to see a magica toon over about 27k.

So,

What is the gear and rotation of a magica NB build that sustains over 40k single target and please post a link to a video of this being done?

What is the gear and rotation of a magica Templar build that sustains over 40k please post a link to a video of this being done?

What is the gear and rotation of a magica sorc that sustains over 40k please post a link to a vidoe of this being done?

I actually think it might be barely possible for a mag dk to do this though a comparable stam one would be over 50 but.... What is the gear and rotation of a magica sorc that sustains over 40k please post a link to a video of this being done?

I'm not kidding here. I would really love to increase my magica nb's dps from 27k to 40k or may magica templar (a ranged build currently) from 25k to 40k. I don't think it can be done even if I did have the good fortune to get a sharpened vMA staff.

I have seen stam builds do all of this trivially, in large numbers, on a daily basis, often with surprisingly little practice, and even a very few times, without vMA dual wield. I would really love to see a magica toon do it because, in my experience the better magica players tend to hang out around 25k with the melee ones being closer to 30 and the ranged closer to 25 while the stam builds hang out closer to 40k with some very few dk's breaking 50 and some players who just switched but have the gear down at 35. in those old 1.5 days you mentioned I remeber stam dk's at 1,200, magical nb's at 1,200, sorcs at 1,100, magica templars at 1,200 though few played this Slayer proved you could, and magia dk's at 1,500. It was unbalanced hugely in terms of utility but dps wise really only magica dk's were out of line and not as far as things are now.

First of all i play on PCNA if thats what youre talking about and we only have one semi serious guild left that had to switch to magicka toons to clear VAA hardmode.Not to mention that i used to be on one of the top NA teams so i know the people you are talking about. So by top players i am talking about the EU teams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzfi_eJoGQA Magicka sorc. 5 twice born, 3 infal, 3 willpower backbar vma staff or 5 twice born, 4 infal, 2 nerieneth, backbar vma staff (sorcs can break 50k dps on zhaj and streak did 48k on the twins)

http://i.imgur.com/dgSAQg6.png Magicka nightblade. 5 scathing, 2 kena, 4 infal frontbar, vma backbar

I dont have any parses for magicka dk or magicka templar but the members from the top raid team in the game have all told me that magicka templar is the highest dps for hardmode rakkhat.

If you think the "better magicka players" are only pulling 30k dps then i just dont know what to say. You are far removed from the end game community and in fact you contradicted yourself in your comment about pvp "It is also difficult to balance pvp because of the number of very terrible players that wander into there, get spanked, and run to the forums to cry about what they really don't understand."

This is exactly what you're doing. You dont know what dps magicka can actually hit, you have no idea what group comps the actual top groups are running, and yet here you are complaining.

• Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    Most guilds have poor groupbuffs. So even if someone tried REALLY hard to achiev good numbers you will not be able to because you do not have good group buffs.

Every class can perform really well and all classes are needed for good trial runs. If a Raidleader does not understand that then well you better start loooking for a better guild.
    Edited by Alcast on September 30, 2016 11:13PM
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• Xrucible
    Xrucible
    ✭✭✭

My friend if you can pull only 25k on a magplar you are doing something seriously wrong. Even with a 50% warhorn uptime I was able to pull 42k on my magplar in the Mage fight. I have pulled 29k running a support build (ranged) with 5pc aether and off healing.

My unbuffed bloodspawn parse is 31.2k.. I don't even have my vMA weapon yet. The learning curve for magika builds is a bit steep and it is not for everyone..
    On a long break from ESO.
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't agree with everything in there but I certainly recognize the effort.
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xrucible wrote: »

My friend if you can pull only 25k on a magplar you are doing something seriously wrong. Even with a 50% warhorn uptime I was able to pull 42k on my magplar in the Mage fight. I have pulled 29k running a support build (ranged) with 5pc aether and off healing.

My unbuffed bloodspawn parse is 31.2k.. I don't even have my vMA weapon yet. The learning curve for magika builds is a bit steep and it is not for everyone..

This ^

It's not difficult at all to be around 30 - 35 K on magplar with a non BIS setup.

Magplars are incredibly strong and to be honest will get stronger this patch.
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of all i play on PCNA if thats what youre talking about and we only have one semi serious guild left that had to switch to magicka toons to clear VAA hardmode.Not to mention that i used to be on one of the top NA teams so i know the people you are talking about. So by top players i am talking about the EU teams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzfi_eJoGQA Magicka sorc. 5 twice born, 3 infal, 3 willpower backbar vma staff or 5 twice born, 4 infal, 2 nerieneth, backbar vma staff (sorcs can break 50k dps on zhaj and streak did 48k on the twins)

http://i.imgur.com/dgSAQg6.png Magicka nightblade. 5 scathing, 2 kena, 4 infal frontbar, vma backbar

I dont have any parses for magicka dk or magicka templar but the members from the top raid team in the game have all told me that magicka templar is the highest dps for hardmode rakkhat.

If you think the "better magicka players" are only pulling 30k dps then i just dont know what to say. You are far removed from the end game community and in fact you contradicted yourself in your comment about pvp "It is also difficult to balance pvp because of the number of very terrible players that wander into there, get spanked, and run to the forums to cry about what they really don't understand."

This is exactly what you're doing. You dont know what dps magicka can actually hit, you have no idea what group comps the actual top groups are running, and yet here you are complaining.

I have noticed that the NA servers are having issues retaining talent. I have even known players who left for the EU one. The reasons for this are really unrelated to this discussion but you are certainly right that that isolates me from many of the best magica players being myself on PCNA. I actually think I am probably in at least one guild with you. BTW, the chain lightning mechanic in VAA can be controlled such that it can be rendered melee friendly. It has been very interesting to see, as melee dps has leaped and bounded ranged dps, the strategies developed to make almost all boss fights very melee friendly. Truly we are in stack and burn paradise. The Mantikora, Serpent, Mage, top boss in vHR, Hiath, and Warrior all have had new, melee stack strategies developed and dominate since the pro stam changes began.
    Alcast wrote: »
    Most guilds have poor groupbuffs. So even if someone tried REALLY hard to achiev good numbers you will not be able to because you do not have good group buffs.

Every class can perform really well and all classes are needed for good trial runs. If a Raidleader does not understand that then well you better start loooking for a better guild.

That magiblade parse is pretty amazing especially since the group dps meter indicates that he is in the top half of dps for the raid. The buff up-time is simply astonishing. It is gar better than any raid I have ever been in and I see that well may explain how I have never seen magica numbers anywhere near that good.

However, I do still regularly see stam numbers of 40k even with the lower buff times in the groups I have run with. If buffs were really the issue wouldn't the stam members I now at 40k be well over 50k? The group dps meter indicates that is not the case for the groups in your examples. You have stated that of the dps's in these groups are magica. Perhaps the weaker ones are stam and so those guys haven't figured out that you can easily add 15k to their dps by switching? I am really impressed with the numbers and buff times. I also find it interesting the differences in that magica builds rotation from mine. I am still impressed though with how quickly guys who practiced magica for years easily gained more than 10k in just a few weeks from pulling out their vMA stam weapons and rolling a stam toon. Many are even now running their vMA runs that way with is rather amazing given range and speed loving mechanics in the hardest fights there.

Perhaps the magnitude of the problem is not as great as I thought and bringing the increased dps of vMA weapons for stam and magica nearer would remedy the problem as long as we don't look at the AOE differences as also important.

As for being far removed from the endgame community in PVE I suppose that depends on definitions. I play on the NA so to a degree yes. I am also not in mundus which is apparently the only "semi serious guild left." That is a little insulting to all the other guilds that run vet hard mode trials but Mundus is clearly the best so we are only arguing the semantics of "semi serious" on that point. I would argue there are probably at least 5 guilds who take trials more seriously than ZOS though your "semi serious" would seem to preclude all those who actually work on the game for a living. Certainly many, I am pretty sure you guys are among them, know more than I do about probably all facets of the game so depending on you standards for who needs to l2P I may make the cut. Of course I am easily in the top 1% of players in knowledge despite this and my knowledge and experience is quite clear on one thing. I know many players who were top magica dps's, have vMA and VO gear, switched to stam, and added 10+k single target and a huge amount of AOE astoundingly quickly.

I'm going to mess around with that magica nb rotation though to see if it can be feasibly run in a situation with less impressive group buffs and if I have the skill to deal with some of the intricacies of the timings and odd things in that rotation.
  • ZoM_Head
    ZoM_Head
    ✭✭✭✭

So,

For any build. magicka or stamina, in trails you NEED damn good group support. Constant SPC procs from healers, as well as twighlight and combat prayer. Tanks NEED to keep major breech/fracture up at all times, having that horn uptime is also key, have 1 stam DD or second tank run Alkosh and contantly throw a synergy his way every 10 seconds.

My personal best on my mDK was 47.3K DPS, it was actually a bit higher, i was super lucky and had no poison runes heading my way and i was very lucky with server performance (good fps) and 80-ish ping to ani cancel manti aoe stomps spot on. Sadly i don't have a screen shot of that run.

If you are "stuck" at 30K dps, then id say look at your rotation, if you can not break 35-40K at all, talk to your healers and tanks for a tighter horn uptime, combat prayer and maybe your SPC it not proccing on you. Rotation + group support must be tight, and some luck w/Server performance as well.
    mDKs still need a lot of love!
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So, 6 months later and it's completely opposite. I guess they listened to you really good.
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BSW and the monster proc sets did fix the imbalance between stam and mag related to gear with the exception of vMA weapons. VMA weapons continue to be an issue not because they make stam overpowered but because, to be balanced with vMA, stam would have to be hella weak without. Now that I have test dummies I can say definitively that my vMA staff is worth about 1.1k to me. Stam weps are worth at least 5k. Pitty the stam guy without vMA.

Of course, setting gear right was not where things stopped. Trap got a huge nerf and that hit stam dps hard. Additionally, magica got some compelling staff passives and mSorc, mDK, mNB, and mTemp all go individual skill buffs though most got resource nefs as well and templar got a radiant nerf that more than offset the purifying buff. The resource nerfs really don't change much because baking in more resources to a build is so expensive dps wise that groups will work hard not to buy any by way of magisteal, orbs, and even lighting heavy builds. This will not change as, if resources were cheaper to get for your build, PVP would have the issue that it has had several times in the past with endless resource troll builds. The lighting heavy attack thing in PVE seems to have gotten more popular for the resource reason. Clearly, the set of things magica brings to the table right now is dominant in PVE. Sheilds and cleave dps are probably foremost among these things. I think that, with the exception of mSorc, stam might still technically keep up single target with mag but, in actual practice, this is of little interest as shields and cleave damage on a secondary target while doing a single target rotation are so important. Yea, basically I agree that Stam is inferior to mag in PVE right now. I also think that most people prefer that situation in PVE. Magica is what most PVE players played for the longest time and what they want to play so I think that basically they are happy with that.

PVP on the other hand.... Here is what I think will happen now that folks are visible again. I think the spinning blades zerg is dead. Actually, I think all zergs will die. The crushing shock exception to reflects, the throwable elemental rig, destro ulti, VD, and the end of AOE caps will kill zergs. They are just too easy to pick apart from afar. PVP guilds will probably hate this as their bread and butter was unkillable zergs. Casuals will love the end of zergs as they endlessly got mowed down by them. PVP players though will probably dislike the strength that magica now has as they are used to playing stam, which has been dominant so long, and would prefer that to remain dominant. Basically, PVP players, just like PVE players, want to keep playing their build and have it work. While they still may be able to use a hard hitting burst stam build, their zergs are done and I think generally magic will have an edge here too. Just like PVE players hated stam having an edge I think PVP players will hate magica having an edge. I also think the frost tanking thing may cause an issue with frost becoming OP in PVP though I am not sure. Again, this is just my speculation about PVP as I don't do it much because I don't like my screen locking up for several min at a time.

Anyhow, yea, things have sure swung in a magica direction. Part of this is just the nature of swings though. Nobody switches what they are doing until it is good and broken so if somebody looks at player behavior after a change often a change will look insufficient to balance because nobody changed when it was, in fact, sufficient. If your relying on those player statistics you will always over balance because it takes abject brokenness to get most players to change. Maybe that is what happens. Infalible is still troll and nobody be using vDSA weapons because dey garbage so some things haven't changed.