Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Random freezes 1-5seconds then game resumes.

KBKB
KBKB
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi team,

I've opened a support ticket thats been running for about 4 weeks and i'm still yet to have a solution for my problem, So I thought I would try the forums out.

Firstly the game will completely freeze from anywhere between 1-10 seconds at times, either recover and continue normally or crash to desktop, while this happens I can alt tab to my desktop screen remains black until the game responds then my desktop will appear and I can alt tab back into game (or I can just wait in game) The sound will crackle little then dead silence as everything on my screen freezes. Other players have said they can also see me completely freeze but still kill me -_-. This problem doesnt discriminate it can happen with an AoE hell fight going on or me harvesting nodes in unpopulated zones, its completely random so it seems.

This drives me insane as you could imagine having fun in cyro then freeze for 5 secs come back rekt to a teabag...

I have tried....

add ons/no addons
RESETTING THE ROUTER
running the game on different hard drives, cpu/mobo, ram, and gfx card same problem. I have reinstalled both windows and ESO to no avail.

My current specs are...
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz, 3068 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 22.0 GB
Running the game on Samung EVO 750 SSD with GTX 960 4gVRAM

My PC should by all means destroy this game.

Any suggestions would be fantastic thank you team!
Edited by KBKB on February 6, 2017 3:34AM
  • Ravenje
    Ravenje
    @KBKB Not sure, but sometimes this kind of error depends on the VGA driver. Time ago it happened to me as well, I had just reinstalled the Nvidia drivers with a clean installation and this fixed it.
  • KBKB
    KBKB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi mate cheers for the response I have tried that one unfortunately made no difference =(
  • Resfeber
    Resfeber
    ✭✭✭
    Related to that, dunno what your hardware setup is, but is ESO configured to run off of the NVidia card specifically? If for some reason it's defaulting to the computer's crap graphics card it may not be running on your super nice card.

You might also want to close any and all background programs and processes just for testing purposes. Last time I was having crashing issues it was actually a background program I use for changing monitor color (for eye strain). You just never know.
    Resfeber (n.): the restless race of the traveler's heart before the journey begins, when anxiety and anticipation are tangled together; a travel fever that can manifest as an illness.
    [Jan '14 Beta Tester]
  • KBKB
    KBKB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi mate, defs running off the GPU and problem persists through a selective start up with just Windows services :(
  • KBKB
    KBKB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cx support are now out of ideas :( anyone?
  • KBKB
    KBKB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone at all?
  • Wolfborn
    Wolfborn
    ✭✭✭
    KBKB wrote: »
    Anyone at all?

Shot in the dark but due to W10 ill throw this out here as funny, i had a smiliar problem, with hitching, though i never had the issue with crash to DT.

Open task master and leave it open. Play ESO as normal, when you start getting hitching, alt tab and look at your memory useage...if its at 99% I bet its Windows Defender. Due to this game having addons, if a file conflicts it will run in the back ground and for whatever reason use all your memory while it does.
  • KBKB
    KBKB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wolfborn wrote: »
    Anyone at all?

Shot in the dark but due to W10 ill throw this out here as funny, i had a smiliar problem, with hitching, though i never had the issue with crash to DT.

Open task master and leave it open. Play ESO as normal, when you start getting hitching, alt tab and look at your memory useage...if its at 99% I bet its Windows Defender. Due to this game having addons, if a file conflicts it will run in the back ground and for whatever reason use all your memory while it does.

Thanks for the reply mate, seems to spike out my CPU not my memory though =(
  • Buff_Swollchest
    Open up windows event viewer go to Windows Logs -> System. I had a similar issue and it turned out to be a nvidia driver crashing. Look for any warning or errors with time stamps that coincide with the freezing/crashing.
  • silhouette187
    Did you try to clear the cache of windows updates as well?

Open File Explorer and go to View > Folder Options. Select the Show hidden files, folder, and drives radio button and click on Apply to enable the display of hidden files on your computer. Once done, navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and then delete the content of the Download folder.

I was having issues with another game, probably also a Bethesda/ZoS title, and I believe this may have corrected the issues for me. Also check your internet connection speed, and make sure all the drivers are updated.
  • silhouette187
    Did you also try the repair option in the game launcher itself?
  • KBKB
    KBKB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wolfborn wrote: »
    Anyone at all?

Thanks for the reply mate, seems to spike out my CPU not my memory though =(
    Open up windows event viewer go to Windows Logs -> System. I had a similar issue and it turned out to be a nvidia driver crashing. Look for any warning or errors with time stamps that coincide with the freezing/crashing.

Hey mate, Thanks for the reply I will do when the server comes back up, I have reinstalled with DDU about 3 times though hah!
    Did you also try the repair option in the game launcher itself?

Certainly have, I have literally hit the end of ZOS trouble shooting =( I havent cleared win updates though will give it a lash!

• KBKB
    KBKB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any ideas?