Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Did major evasion nerf make a difference?

Surgee
Surgee
✭✭✭✭
Hello Cyrodil warriors,
DODGE, DODGE, DODGE, DODGE, DODGE...We've all been there. At the moment in Cyrodil (console version) almost everyone use evasion, no matter what class or role because it's that good.
So with the nerf to major evasion from 20% dodge chance to 15% dodge chance, is there any noticeable difference? I have no access to PTS so I wonder if it really balanced things out.
  • cschwingeb14_ESO
    cschwingeb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    It'll get better once the fix for hist bark is in and people aren't running around with permanent major evasion
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It'll get better once the fix for hist bark is in and people aren't running around with permanent major evasion

Is it fixed on pts?
  • RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The worst problem with evasion is that when the dodge proc, you dodge all other attack in a defined time frame. When you take a lot of incoming attack, dodge chance become godlike-immortality because only one attack dodged result on every other avoided. This mechanism is not changed, so this nerf won't change anything in heavy battle.

For 1v1 situation, there is a tiny but noticeable difference, and a good one.
  • glavius
    glavius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RoyJade wrote: »
    The worst problem with evasion is that when the dodge proc, you dodge all other attack in a defined time frame. When you take a lot of incoming attack, dodge chance become godlike-immortality because only one attack dodged result on every other avoided. This mechanism is not changed, so this nerf won't change anything in heavy battle.

Wrong......
  • RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    glavius wrote: »
    Wrong......

In this case, can you highlight me of the new mechanism ? Last time I've checked (some month ago, to be honest), when you dodge an attack you dodge every other dodgeable one for approximatively 0,5 second. I still have this impression on my tank in pve.
  • glavius
    glavius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tested twice with a total of 1k animation cancelled light attacks /skill/bash. Total dodge chance was 21% first test, 19% second test. If a dodge window existed, that percentage would have been quite abit higher. It has never been the way you described. I did one test a year ago and one last month.
    Edited by glavius on February 4, 2017 8:18AM
  • NoFlash
    NoFlash
    ✭✭✭
    interesting. time to slot this
    Daggerfall Covenant

The Ninja Squirrels
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tested twice with a total of 1k animation cancelled light attacks /skill/bash. Total dodge chance was 21% first test, 19% second test. If a dodge window existed, that percentage would have been quite abit higher. It has never been the way you described. I did one test a year ago and one last month.

It works exactly as the people above have described it. Once you dodge something with evasion, you dodge everything else while the animation lasts.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Rikumaru
    Rikumaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RoyJade wrote: »

For 1v1 situation, there is a tiny but noticeable difference, and a good one.

Good. It's nice to have a mechanic even if it's intended or not which helps out people who are outnumbered.
    Overload rework. Power Overload now does physical damage and grants you the power of a tornado: You throw a brick at the target with a light attack, and you hammer your head into that brick with every heavy attack. We have decreased its Ultimate cost, but increased the chance that you get stuck in the animation.
  • glavius
    glavius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »

It works exactly as the people above have described it. Once you dodge something with evasion, you dodge everything else while the animation lasts.

Do a proper test and you will see that youre wrong
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do a proper test and you will see that youre wrong

Not even in need to test it.
    I see it 1000 times a day, or are you implying that everyone here is suffering from hallucinations ?

Joke. But it's true, that's how it always worked and still works sadly.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Surgee
    Surgee
    ✭✭✭✭

Seems like quite a lot of dodge chance to me. I guess I will keep on seeing every single person half-transparent in Cyrodil.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hey folks...

what i think we are seeing in this thread is perception vs reality.

some folks are talking the 20% chance of evasion letting attacks miss you while you are still doing other stuff. Call that the passive dodge.

other folks are talking what happens right in the split second after you execute a dodge roll which is not a 20% chance but an automatic vs dodgeable effects. Call that the active dodge.

Active dodging, just like active blocking, protects against anything dodgeable for a split second for one spend of stamina (and iirc some skills/sets may alter that time frame for some select things.)

passive dodge i have never seen do the same thing but it can allow snare immunity from some effects like shuffle?

those are two separate issues, two separate sets of mechanics.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• LeifErickson
    LeifErickson
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Prove it. I have never seen evidence for this rumor that has become known to be fact. I'm not saying you are wrong but I have never seen any evidence to support this claim and @glavius has done actual tests that give evidence against this theory. If you have evidence and I am wrong then great, but otherwise please don't spread false information.
  • gard
    gard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how @glavius test was performed? How many simultaneous attacks against the same target? ( in other words, how many attackers?) What was the delay between successive attacks? Can we see the data?

I'm not supporting or denying either theory about how it works, I'd just like to see the data and understand how it was collected.

My wife complains that I never listen to her. (Or something like that.)
    -- I'm a one man smurf zerg!

My ESO addons:
    Midnight - Find out when midnight is so that you can check for ww/vamp spawn.
    Goto - Adds a tab to the map pane allowing you to teleport to a friend, guildmate, or groupmate for free.
  • RouDeR
    RouDeR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Change shuffle to , 20% chance when hited to gain major protection for 0.5 seconds with 1 second CD and reduce the duration of stuns by 30%. Even with 5% dodge chamce the effect in big battles will be almost the same as the 20% dodge .
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    giphy.gif
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It wont ever make difference.

Make it 1% and still sometimes someone will dodge 5 attacks in a row and the same complain will be back.
    People wont be happy until the performance ceiling of this skill gets totally nerfed down to average.

If this skill gets any other nerf ZoS might aswell rework it, so it not so *** useless if you are unlucky.
    Edited by SodanTok on February 5, 2017 10:11PM
  • glavius
    glavius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gard wrote: »
    I wonder how @glavius test was performed? How many simultaneous attacks against the same target? ( in other words, how many attackers?) What was the delay between successive attacks? Can we see the data?

I'm not supporting or denying either theory about how it works, I'd just like to see the data and understand how it was collected.

Done with 2 pc's on PTS. No noteworthy lag at time of testing, probably almost noone else on server.
    Used ingame damage numbers and recount addon. One pc had a character doing light attack->surprise attack->bash. I do not have combat logs in print/video, but delay between hits 0,1 to 0,2 seconds depending on my timing. The other pc had a character taking hits with recount also active. I compared ingame damage numbers and recount to make sure results were consistent. I tested two times, a year ago and recently. Near 500 sample each time. First sample showed 21% dodge chance. Second 19%. I also did a smaller sample recently testing blur showing 16% dodge chance (but rather low total hits, around 200, which probably explains why it's not closer to 20%).

To make sure it was not an issue related to magicka spells only, I also did a sample of around 200 hits testing light attack+procced frag from melee range (to make sure both hit almost same time). This test I don't remember exactly, but from what I remember it showed 19% dodge chance of light attack and 23% dodge chance of the frag. Again small sample size which explains why it's not closer to 20%.
  • Surgee
    Surgee
    ✭✭✭✭
    gard wrote: »

Done with 2 pc's on PTS. No noteworthy lag at time of testing, probably almost noone else on server.
    Used ingame damage numbers and recount addon. One pc had a character doing light attack->surprise attack->bash. I do not have combat logs in print/video, but delay between hits 0,1 to 0,2 seconds depending on my timing. The other pc had a character taking hits with recount also active. I compared ingame damage numbers and recount to make sure results were consistent. I tested two times, a year ago and recently. Near 500 sample each time. First sample showed 21% dodge chance. Second 19%. I also did a smaller sample recently testing blur showing 16% dodge chance (but rather low total hits, around 200, which probably explains why it's not closer to 20%).

To make sure it was not an issue related to magicka spells only, I also did a sample of around 200 hits testing light attack+procced frag from melee range (to make sure both hit almost same time). This test I don't remember exactly, but from what I remember it showed 19% dodge chance of light attack and 23% dodge chance of the frag. Again small sample size which explains why it's not closer to 20%.
    Thanks a lot for running the tests! Amazing work. If after the Nerf the real dodge chance is mostly over 20% then no wonder that in the current live version the dodge is almost constant.
  • bthatway
    bthatway
    Soul Shriven
    giphy.gif

man....i never laughed so hard in my life!! and thats the double truth... :D:D
  • Smmokkee
    Smmokkee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are suppose to nerf more skills in the game because you noobs keep whiffing your attacks..?

Thread smells like a l2p issue.
    Edited by Smmokkee on March 6, 2018 3:48PM
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    giphy.gif

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Good lord....

That man IS the greatest boxer ever...

That's insane...

Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder