The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

ESO Won't Launch

Niko1987
Niko1987
✭✭
Installed Steam again and installed ESO on a new drive and ran it. The pop up to allow for Private/Public network access, Allowed that.
And then ESO installs. Bar fills, window closes, then nothing.

Going into my Steam folder and drilling down to the ESO main folder, I can launch it from the .exe, but it doesn't bring up a launcher at all.
The desktop icon brings up Private/Public Access window and that process starts all over and ends the same.
Same thing when I click 'Play' from my Steam library; starts the Private/Public Access window and the process ends the same way.

There's a .txt document that pops up in the ZeniMax folder that says: Cannot start process! Or something like that.

Then I went to Verify my files on Steam and ALL of them failed. And now it's downloading all over again for the 2nd time today... It's now 12:27AM....... :|

It's about 65% done downloading and I'm wary of trying to launch it, because it might not work again. And I really don't feel like trying to install it a 3rd time... :(

Does anyone have any idea what's going on or how I can fix this?
"It must be nice to fight for something you feel so strongly about. Too often I don't have that luxury."- Ahrilux
@Niko1987 | PC NA
Lady Ahrilux | Nord | Dragonknight | STAM Tank in Training
  • Ravenje
    Ravenje
    And then ESO installs. The bar fills, the window closes, then nothing.

Same here. I have a big ticket open and is two days now that I'm waiting for an answer.
  • Niko1987
    Niko1987
    ✭✭
    @Ravenje This is sad... :neutral: All my other games install and run just fine, bug for some reason, ESO is giving me the hardest time.

I've already uninstalled it and Steam, reformatting the drive that it was on and am going to try again... :disappointed:
    "It must be nice to fight for something you feel so strongly about. Too often I don't have that luxury."- Ahrilux
    @Niko1987 | PC NA
  • Ravenje
    Ravenje
    @Niko1987 Look I don't know what is going on with the installer. We are not the only ones, this stupid Install_ESO.exe does the same to a lot of people. Basically, you launch it, it fills the bar, a java pop-up about access at networks and then nothing. It's sad, and especially the support, till now they don't care at all. My problem is a big one, I should have the priority as "problem relevance" but nothing. The few answers I got are about some stupid troubleshooting that actually even a child of 5 years old knows are not adequate to my problem.
    Edited by Ravenje on January 29, 2017 7:02AM
  • Niko1987
    Niko1987
    ✭✭
    @Ravenje Yea, no troubleshooting has worked for me so far and I've even had to go to page 3 on Google...

Nothing has worked. Not the Steam installation, not the official launcher from their website. Nada. :disappointed:
    @Niko1987 | PC NA
  • Ravenje
    Ravenje
    @Niko1987 This is a possible solution, for me didn't work. If you want you can try.
    Vibro wrote: »
    C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Temp\I1(random Number here)\InstallerData\Disk1\InstData\Resource1\ extract resource1/ to the same folder and do a search in this file for Bethesda.net_launcher

mine was in C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Temp\I1XXXXXXXXX\InstallerData\Disk1\InstData\Resource1\D_\launchers\winlivepub but that's not 100% the same all the time it seems, then move the entire thing out of the temp section and download away
  • Niko1987
    Niko1987
    ✭✭
    @Ravenje I've already uninstalled everything... I'll have to wait for my drive to be formatted, then download Steam, and then download ESO again...
    @Niko1987 | PC NA
  • Ravenje
    Ravenje
    Niko1987 wrote: »
    @Ravenje I've already uninstalled everything... I'll have to wait for my drive to be formatted, then download Steam, and then download ESO again...

@Niko1987 I understand your frustration lol.
  • DarcomX
    DarcomX
    Soul Shriven
    Tried everything in this forums. ESO seems to have given up on getting new players.
  • Ulfberht
    Ulfberht
    ✭✭
    I was having issues with my launcher earlier today. I ran the repair several times but nothing was helping. I had the Run in 64 bit mode checked since I'm using Windows 10 64 bit, but once I unchecked that box and tried to run the game as 32 bit it launched just fine. I'm not sure why this is, but thought I would share with you all in case it may help.
    Edited by Ulfberht on January 31, 2017 6:05PM
  • Niko1987
    Niko1987
    ✭✭
    @Ulfberht @DarcomX

Best bet I've had has been Raven's quote:
    Vibro wrote: »
    C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Temp\I1(random Number here)\InstallerData\Disk1\InstData\Resource1\ extract resource1/ to the same folder and do a search in this file for Bethesda.net_launcher

mine was in C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Temp\I1XXXXXXXXX\InstallerData\Disk1\InstData\Resource1\D_\launchers\winlivepub but that's not 100% the same all the time it seems, then move the entire thing out of the temp section and download away

I found mine in that path: C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Temp\I1(random Number here)\InstallerData\Disk1\InstData\Resource1\ extract resource1/ to the same folder and do a search in this file for Bethesda.net_launcher

There will be a few folders that start like I1 and a random string of numbers. Following the path lead me to the launcher where it updated and installed.

Make sure you make your Hidden files view-able.
    Only problem doing it this way is now Steam doesn't track my progress.

I made a copy of the Betheada.net_Launcher to my Desktop and now it plays, just not through Steam at all.
    @Niko1987 | PC NA
  • raging4198
    raging4198
    Soul Shriven
    i had the same problem... basically steam is a lazy ass and doesnt install the launcher folder so you have to ask some 1 to send it to u then add it to the eso folder in steam

also as a bonus if u get a timed out error close the game. the launcher and steam then run steam as admin
  • Gordon906
    Gordon906
    ✭✭✭
    I had the exact same thing happening to me and I resetted my harddrive :P. It works now but it only launches from administrator mode and it doesnt work when I click on the desktop icon.
  • Niko1987
    Niko1987
    ✭✭
    Gordon906 wrote: »
    I had the exact same thing happening to me and I resetted my harddrive :P. It works now but it only launches from administrator mode and it doesnt work when I click on the desktop icon.

@Gordon906 Yea, mine only works from the Launcher I found within a hidden folder.
    But I mean, I can play, just not through Steam... It's something I guess... :neutral:
    @Niko1987 | PC NA
  • ZOS_PeterT
    ZOS_PeterT
    ✭✭✭
    If you're able to launch ESO by finding the .exe file in your installation folder, but not through the Steam library, it is the result of two things that you need to alter:

1. The .exe that Steam requires to be launched to be compatible with the Steam overlay is not actually eso.exe, but a file called "zosSteamStarter.exe". If your Steam library is "pointing" to the wrong .exe file, it won't launch from the library. The correct file "zosSteamStarter.exe" will usually be in the following directory:

Steam\Steamapps\Common\Zenimax Online

After locating "zosSteamStarter.exe", right click it to run it as an administrator. You may want to set it to permanently run as an administrator in your Compatibility tab. You can also create a shortcut to this .exe to use it more easily in the future; this is the .exe that must be run to access the Steam overlay and log your Steam play hours.

2. In order for "zosSteamStarter.exe" to log the information such as play hours properly, you may have to lower your Windows UAC (User Account Control) settings. Lowering User Account Control settings to the minimum will allow Steam to gather this data properly.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios

Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site

Staff Post
  • Ravenje
    Ravenje
    I solved in the same way. Open app data e blah blah...
    What I learned so far is that the problem should be correlated to Java and an error in its setup.lax that allow the correct startup of the InstallAnywhere. But this kind of things is far away from my coding skills.
    After the recent news about Morrowind is time for Zenimax to focus on the actual game, and when is everything optimised, then starts with new updates.

That's all. o:)
    Cya!
  • Niko1987
    Niko1987
    ✭✭
    ZOS_PeterT wrote: »
    If you're able to launch ESO by finding the .exe file in your installation folder, but not through the Steam library, it is the result of two things that you need to alter:

1. The .exe that Steam requires to be launched to be compatible with the Steam overlay is not actually eso.exe, but a file called "zosSteamStarter.exe". If your Steam library is "pointing" to the wrong .exe file, it won't launch from the library. The correct file "zosSteamStarter.exe" will usually be in the following directory:

Steam\Steamapps\Common\Zenimax Online

After locating "zosSteamStarter.exe", right click it to run it as an administrator. You may want to set it to permanently run as an administrator in your Compatibility tab. You can also create a shortcut to this .exe to use it more easily in the future; this is the .exe that must be run to access the Steam overlay and log your Steam play hours.

2. In order for "zosSteamStarter.exe" to log the information such as play hours properly, you may have to lower your Windows UAC (User Account Control) settings. Lowering User Account Control settings to the minimum will allow Steam to gather this data properly.

@ZOS_PeterT Thank you! I didn't know that but I will do that when I get home. :smiley:
    @Niko1987 | PC NA
  • Whyn Aurum
    Whyn Aurum
    ✭✭✭
    I had this issue as well as a returning player yesterday.

I downloaded the game. Then when it was all set, I press "Play" in Steam like i would with any other game. A small window shows up counting from 0 - 100%. At the end of the loading a message appeared:
    "Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working"

I tried updating my Java - nothing.
    Then I went away and tried verifying the integrity of the game files via steam. After a brief wait I learn that somewhat 500+files are corrupt and the entire 56GIG download has started all over again. This made me rage uncontrollably as it took me nearly 3 days to download this game with my crappy connection.

I tried the already suggested "run as admin", but that didn't help at all. Besides, all my UAC settings are turned off.
  • Gordon906
    Gordon906
    ✭✭✭
    I am no lobger launching it feel I'm steam by it is annoying since I cannot open the game from my desktop.
  • Niko1987
    Niko1987
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_PeterT Nope. Didn't work at all.

Nothing has worked except launching it from outside of Steam within the hidden folders... This is the 6th time I've tried to install it. :cry:
    Edited by Niko1987 on February 3, 2017 6:19PM
    @Niko1987 | PC NA
  • ModernWarBear
    ModernWarBear
    Soul Shriven
    You need to boot into Safe Mode with Networking, the launcher will install correctly then you can boot up normally.
  • Ravenje
    Ravenje
    Yes but, the question is: WHY?
    Why a customer, that already have spent money to BUY the game, is forced to do this in order to play?
    I'm good with computer programming, coding and blah blah... but there are people out here, that doesn't know what damn means a Safe Mode. This is unacceptable, Zenimax need to improve his service. At least the support!
  • Niko1987
    Niko1987
    ✭✭
    @Ravenje I've been back and forth with ESO Support and so far, nothing they've suggested has worked.

I've got Steam to launch ESO and can now launch it from the desktop, but now I'm getting another error.

It's a cycle... :scream:
    @Niko1987 | PC NA
  • Ravenje
    Ravenje
    Niko1987 wrote: »
    @Ravenje I've been back and forth with ESO Support and so far, nothing they've suggested has worked.

I've got Steam to launch ESO and can now launch it from the desktop, but now I'm getting another error.

It's a cycle... :scream:

What can I say? It's a shame...
  • ramcamper
    ramcamper
    Soul Shriven
    Search: "How to install the Elder Scrolls Online when Install_ESO.exe is not working" on Youtube. There's a video that walks you through the steps to fix this.

Caveat: There is a possibility the files may be found in:

C:\Users\MYNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\IXXXXXXXXXX\InstallerData\Disk1\InstData\Resource1\D_\launchers\winlivepub

and not:

C:\Users\MYNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\IXXXXXXXXXX\InstallerData\Disk1\InstData\Resource1\$IA_PROJECT_DIR$\src_path\Launcher

as the video indicates.

Also, if you want to install to a different harddrive, you can just move the last folder ('winlivepub' or 'Launcher') and run the launcher from there.