The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

DK build/role questions from new player

richiejam
richiejam
Soul Shriven
Hi,

I'm a totally new player, having installed the game just 3 days ago. So far, I've just been getting used to basic game mechanics and trying to decipher how characters are built.

I've read a little about builds, but a lot is confusing as much of the info focuses on end game and includes talk of optimal gear choices. It also doesn't help that I obviously don't understand many of the abbreviations etc.

Anyway, I thought I'd list what I do and don't want from my character, and ask the community for some advice on leveling builds, roles, end game builds to work towards, gear etc

I have chosen a Breton DK
(currently only level 8, with only a few skill and attribute points spent for fear of wasting them on bad choices)

I will be playing a lot with a friend who has made a Breton Templar (who plans on playing a healing role)

I don't want to play as a DD
I don't want to play as a healer
I want to equip melee weapons (preferably 1h/shield or 2h, not dual wield)

I suppose that leaves tanking, but I would prefer an "off-tank"/group support/utility role.

I am aware that Bretons are not considered the best race for tanking (particularly Stam based)

My research so far suggests that I should build/play a "dk magicka tank". But again, most of this info is focused on end game or high level group content.

Is it viable to level with such a build (or working towards one)?

Are melee weapons viable for a "DK magicka tank"? Or must I build a stam based tank for that?

Where should I start putting attribute points based on how/what I'd like to play?

Can anyone post levelling builds/advice based on my preferences?

Please help!

TLDR: how do I build/level a melee equipped, off-tank/group support Breton DK?
Edited by richiejam on January 31, 2017 2:40AM

Best Answer

• davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It'd probably be a good idea to start with stuff that's a little more basic than end-game builds, you're right. Tamriel Foundry, ESO Academy and Deltias Gaming are all sites with great info on the basics. Sunshine Daydream if you need crafting guides.

My first piece of advice - don't be afraid of "screwing up." You can't ruin a character. Spend the points, try new skills. Skill points are a dime a dozen, and respecs are cheap...just some gold and a trip to your capital city.

Class

So the first question is whether you've chosen the right class. You say you want to play a support and utility role that isn't strictly a tank, not a healer, and not a strict dps. Honestly, Templars are a little more of the support utility toons. But DKs can be too. What sort of support will you be providing as a DK?

One thing you'll do is snare mobs with an ability called burning talons. This holds 3-5 enemies still with fluffy bunny feet. Ha, jk...with burning dragon talons. And it allows your magplar friend to unleash holy hell on them with a synergy called impale. You would also keep your group buffed with igneous weapons...amping thier power by 20%. And you have some other snares and minor heals.

So as a dragon knight you'd be doing some damage, keeping enemies snared and off everyone, helping buff group members up with power. You'll be "tanky," but you don't have to play strictly as a tank. In fact...not much requires classic tanking until vet content. If this sounds good, and if your friend is playing a magplar, then I think DK is a great choice. You'll both be able to solo play fine, but together you'll have some great abilities that play well off each other.

Race and magic/stam

So...magic or stam? The reason Bretons make good magic DKs is that their racial passives are all geared toward magic. So to play really tough end game content, a Breton DK probably needs to be magic. But can you play as a Brit stamina DK and play 98% of what the game has to offer? For sure. The game is forgiving. But you should pick one or the other for now, understanding you can totally switch them later for a little gold.

Maybe start by taking a look through the DK and weapon abilities: http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Dragonknight

So looking at class skills, you'll see that DKs have a LOT of magic attack options. A magic DK will be using many class abilities. These are mostly in-your-face melee-style attacks, just magic based. Like searing strikes - regardless what weapon you equip, this is a slashing magical sword that cuts across enemies. Lava whips...talons..inhale - these are good magic DK skills with cool animations. If you go stamina, you still have some class skills that work well, but as you can see on the charts, many are locked out as magic-only abilities. So a stam DK uses more of the abilities in the 2h, bow, dual and 1h weapon lines, which are all Stam.

As far as weapons themselves...keep in kind that your class skills can fire regardless the weapon you have equipped. So yes, a mag DK can use a sword and board even if running tons of magic attacks.

So see if you can tell if there's a set of abilities that sound more fun. If the magic ones sound cool, try that. If you really like the stamina based weapons skills, go stam. If you try them don't like the result, after you play a while go respec and switch from one to the other and try that. ESO is about diversity and variety. Pick one style to try and get out and play. After 10-20 hours in game you'll know much more about how you want to build out your character.

However, given your stated play style, the fact you're running with a magplar and the fact you're liking your Breton...I recommend trying magic first. I think it's what you're looking for.

Some general tips for newbies:

- always put at least one skill from each of your class skill lines on your attack bar. This is how those level.
    - If you're a stam build, wear mostly medium armor and some heavy. If magic, wear light and some heavy. You should level at least two armor lines...maybe all three. But don't stress about why...you'll figure it out as you play.
    - You can totally run a 2h or sword and board on a magic DK. Give it a shot...level those lines...figure out which you prefer. At level 15 you'll get weapon swapping and will have two bars. Honestly...if you're magic, consider using a staff on your back bar. That restores magic for you. But my vet magic Templar and magic DK use sword and board all the time. This is great defense...it's very viable. 2h would work too. With either, f you're a magic build you should probably ignore all of the abilities other than the gap closers.
    - don't stress about attribute points. Each is worth 115 points in that resource. You're going to end up with 60,000 resource points total in the end...flipping a few attributes does diddly. Put them all into your attack resource...stam if you're trying stam, magic for magic. If you flip later, it costs a little gold to change them...no big.
    - It's good you're playing with a friend. DKs are a bit tough for your first character. When you get to your 20s, you might feel like you just can't deal damage. Playing with others is the best way to push through this.

Skills to try (magic DK)

Searing strike...burning embers: spammable slash that heals you. This is what makes a magic DK tanky. At first this is your bread and butter.

Engulfing flames: flame breath! You wanted to support - this ability increases damage from flame attacks. You and your magplar friend have a lot of flame attacks. If he's using reflective light, a flame damage range attack, then here's one way you can help support him.

Molten whip: cool, and using it amps your own power.

Burning talons: I love this ability...more when running with a friend. You snare 3-5 enemies for a few seconds. This is mega-useful when running with a Templar. You can root mobs, then he jabs them to death. And when you use this, he can activate a synergy called impale (he gets an onscreen notification to use it) that burns everyone for a LOT of damage.

Dragon blood: gotta heal. I mean...when alone. Your magplar friend will heal you better when grouped.

Draw essence: you inhale their souls then explode in flames. Very cool.

Stonefist: you throw a giant rock and stun the enemy.

Igneous weapons: gives you and your group 20% more weapon and spell power. This is a MUST HAVE. Your friend can get the 20% on his own, but it's harder on a magplar. Keeping your group buffed with this is massively useful.

These are just a few that I like, especially for new players. If playing a magic DK, you also have all the abilities in mages guild...and ifmyounisr a staff, the staff lines.

Hope that basic info helps. Feel free to reply w any questions. Use @my user name so it notifies me.

Answer ✓
  • richiejam
    richiejam
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you, Davey, for the great reply. Really answered some of my questions and has got me underway!
  • spawn10459
    spawn10459
    ✭✭✭
    could you give help on a Stm based DK and are they worth playing?