The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can't complete crafting writ because there is no yew anywhere anymore

SydneyGrey
SydneyGrey
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Argh. I have a woodworking writ that I've never been able to complete, because my game stopped generating yew wood a long time ago. It won't let me get a different writ. I belong to one trade guild, and no one in my guild has yew. It's been DAYS now, and this writ is now impossible for me to complete unless I can find 55 yew from somewhere.

I tried abandoning the writ, but the game won't let me get a different writ, no matter how long I wait before getting the writ again.

I'd gladly make a trade for some yew, if someone here has any.

Thanks.
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    Argh. I have a woodworking writ that I've never been able to complete, because my game stopped generating yew wood a long time ago. It won't let me get a different writ. I belong to one trade guild, and no one in my guild has yew. It's been DAYS now, and this writ is now impossible for me to complete unless I can find 55 yew from somewhere.

I tried abandoning the writ, but the game won't let me get a different writ, no matter how long I wait before getting the writ again.

I'd gladly make a trade for some yew, if someone here has any.

Thanks.

You can always buy what you need from a Trade Guild store.
  • AzuraKin
    AzuraKin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lvl up ww to lvl and unlock passives for the material you are finding,

OR

unlock ww passives to yew crafting lvl and unlock the daily mats passive and log in daily, 2x daily (12 hour period after last login time) if you have lvl 50 ww lvl.

these should help you.
    v160 spellsword (nightblade)
    v160 restoration archmage (Templar)
    v160 battlemage (sorcerer)
    v160 restoration archmage (Templar)
    v160 warrior (DragonKnight)
    v160 assassin (nightblade)
    v160 swordsman (sorcerer)
    v160 spellsword (nightblade)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yew seems to be a wood that just does not show up as a raw material.

Now, if you have an L46 to L49.9 character, you can get plenty of Yew deconning mob loot. As for Nodes, I don't think I have seen it with my last leveling character (no points into Material Passives) but I am currently leveling a Farmer Alt (oh the irony there) so I will see if it shows up for him. Since I am also redeveloping my Tank, it might take a few days.

What if you put one more point into the Wood Mat Passive, will that move you up a tier? Or have you spent the point but have not been to Belkarth yet? I think Yew stuff would normally be dropped off in Coldharbor, and anything above that should send you to Belkarth.
    Edited by Nestor on January 31, 2017 3:46PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've had this problem multiple times. Other than just spamming WTB YEW in every zone, which is no fun for anyone, I found two things to help:

The long way: I leveled up another character until they got access to the material I was missing. This doesn't take all that long if you

The less long way: abandon the writ quest. Level up the relevant crafting passive. Log out. Log back in, and get the writ quest again. It will now have "updated" itself to a material you can actually find. (As you have discovered, the writ won't update if you just abandon and reacquire it. As far as I can tell, it seems you have to level up the relevant crafting passive (woodworking, in this case) in order to trigger the game to change the material tier of your writs.)
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »
    The less long way: abandon the writ quest. Level up the relevant crafting passive. Log out. Log back in, and get the writ quest again. It will now have "updated" itself to a material you can actually find. (As you have discovered, the writ won't update if you just abandon and reacquire it. As far as I can tell, it seems you have to level up the relevant crafting passive (woodworking, in this case) in order to trigger the game to change the material tier of your writs.)
    I tried this, even waited overnight, then logged back in again. It didn't work. I'm still getting the yew crafting writ.

• SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only have access to one, and no one has sold yew in it at all for the past week. I'd have to join several more to get access to their stuff. I may end up having to resort to joining more guilds, though.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried this, even waited overnight, then logged back in again. It didn't work. I'm still getting the yew crafting writ.

Have you been to Belkarth? Is the Character L50? Invested the Skill Point into the next tier of Materials?

You have to have all 3 of these be Yes. Although, L50 should not be a requirement, but it is a bug.

• SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Yew seems to be a wood that just does not show up as a raw material.
    Yes, it does. I used to find it all the time, until I put more skill points into my woodworking skill.
    What if you put one more point into the Wood Mat Passive, will that move you up a tier?
    I think my problem was that I leveled up the woodworking skill too fast by putting a lot of skill points into it. Argh. My woodworking skill is now WAY higher than what it would need to be to find yew.

• SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you been to Belkarth? Is the Character L50? Invested the Skill Point into the next tier of Materials? You have to have all 3 of these be Yes. Although, L50 should not be a requirement, but it is a bug.
    Yes to all three. :)

• SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »
    (As you have discovered, the writ won't update if you just abandon and reacquire it. As far as I can tell, it seems you have to level up the relevant crafting passive (woodworking, in this case) in order to trigger the game to change the material tier of your writs.)
    Oh I see what you're saying. Abandon the writ and THEN level up woodworking, then get a writ again. I'll try this, since I think I have an unused skill point. I might have tried to abandon and then re-aquire the writ without leveling up woodworking again, since my woodworking was already a higher level than what you need to find yew.

I'll let you know if this works.

Thanks to everyone who is helping me with this. :)

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it does. I used to find it all the time, until I put more skill points into my woodworking skill.

See this is information we need in order to more efficiently help you.

Thing is, you should not be getting a writ for Yew if your material level is above that. Writs are solely tied to material level.

Edited by Nestor on January 31, 2017 8:01PM

• SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, so I abandoned the quest, logged out, logged back in, put another skill point into woodworking, logged out again (just in case), and then when I logged back in, the quest FINALLY updated! Yay! Situation resolved!

Thanks again to everyone who tried to help. :)B)

• Dread_Viking
    Dread_Viking
    ✭✭✭✭
    ROFL!
    Don't worry girl I'm a Sorcerer, i got my Hardened Ward for protection
  • VagabondLife
    VagabondLife
    ✭✭✭✭
    I only have access to one, and no one has sold yew in it at all for the past week. I'd have to join several more to get access to their stuff. I may end up having to resort to joining more guilds, though.

Sorry to be off topic - but just FYI, you don't have to be a member of a guild to buy things from their trader. You have to be a member to sell, but anyone can buy from any guild trader in the game.

:-)
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To get the writs that deliver to Coldharbour (the birch tier beyond yew), you must first travel to Coldharbour & complete the Groundskeeper's (non-combative) quest "The Hollow City." Try abandoning your current writ, doing this, then reacquiring the writ.
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Werid.. back when I was leveling I had sooo much Yew.. that I never had to buy any.
    Its yellow the nodes were so obvious in game.
    Perhaps I was just adventuring and questing pretty hard at that time running through greenshade.