The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

5/1/1 Gear

iBreatheBullets
So I understand fully why most builds run 5/1/1 armour weights, my question is regarding the decision making behind WHICH armour pieces are chosen to be the one-ofs in the other weights?

I'm confused because i've read Deltias build guides that in one instance state that for a light armour wearing magicka build, the chestpiece should be ehavy and the legs medium, implying capitalising on armour gain. Except that in other instances he has another setup only this time the head is heavy and the shoulders medium. Why exactly is this?
  • Xerton
    Xerton
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok, so the deal here is that a heavy chest gives you the most armor, followed by legs and helmet.
    so when you chose to war at least one heavy armore piece you should start with those.
    But there are setups/builds that require a certain gear set which might only drop in light/medium/heavy armor so you have no choice but wear that specific trait as a chest/leg as you leave helmet and shoulder for a monster set in most cases
    CP 810+
    PC - EU - DC

Officer of DRUCKWELLE (druckwelle-hq.de)
    Proud Member of Aquila Raiders - Raidgroup Hydra

~ Dro-m'Athra Destroyer ~
    ~ Flaweless Conqueror ~

vMoL HM (Nuke); vSO HM; vHRC HM; vAA HM; vDSA - cleared
    vMSA - cleared on all classes mag+stam
  • Dasovaruilos
    Dasovaruilos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you go with crafted gear, you can use Heavy Chest and Medium Legs with the rest in Light.

But if you are using dropped sets and monster helms, chances are that the magicka set will only drop on Light and stamina sets on Medium, so your only option is to use Monster Sets, that drops in every weight, to complete the different weights. Then, the head ideally is heavy and should medium for the most armor possible.
    Edited by Dasovaruilos on January 31, 2017 1:01PM
  • AdamBourke
    AdamBourke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why DO people 5/1/1?

Is it for the undaunted passive?
    PS4 - EU

Please put the Eyevea/EarthForge wayshrines back on the map?
  • Xerton
    Xerton
    ✭✭✭✭
    AdamBourke wrote: »
    Why DO people 5/1/1?

Is it for the undaunted passive?

Yes
    CP 810+
    PC - EU - DC

Officer of DRUCKWELLE (druckwelle-hq.de)
    Proud Member of Aquila Raiders - Raidgroup Hydra

~ Dro-m'Athra Destroyer ~
    ~ Flaweless Conqueror ~

vMoL HM (Nuke); vSO HM; vHRC HM; vAA HM; vDSA - cleared
    vMSA - cleared on all classes mag+stam
  • Shabree
    Shabree
    Soul Shriven
    A little offtop: what is 5/5/2 armor, cause im new player and I dont understand where are these 5 additional pieces
  • iBreatheBullets
    Shabree wrote: »
    A little offtop: what is 5/5/2 armor, cause im new player and I dont understand where are these 5 additional pieces

5/5/2 implies the total number of equipment slots you have, and in particular what gear you'll be wearing. Because you have 7 armour pieces + 3 jewellery slots + up to 2 weapons if you are dual wielding. So an example of a 5/5/2 setup for my magicka templar would be 5 pieces of TBS, 5 pieces of Mother's Sorrow (2 armour and 3 jewellery) and 2 Torug's swords.
    Edited by iBreatheBullets on February 1, 2017 4:57AM
  • runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I can assure you that having a heavy BP does not raise your physical resistance/armor enough to matter one whit. Also, if it did matter, the three "big pieces" are head, chest, legs. So you could just as easily put an Undaunted helm in their. The reason being that few endgame setups use crafted armor and they come as either light, medium or heavy and you have no say in that, unlike crafted sets. Thus the use of a heavy undaunted set head. Or shoulders. It seriously doesn't matter.

Also, there is no reason except in an attribute-stacking build (like sorc/pets with necropotence or blazing shield health templar or the like) to ever use infused for any piece of armor, ever. I still see people saying this. It was true in 2014 and it is not true now. All divines or impen for pvp unless you're doing something with a roll dodge build or a sturdy/permablock build.
  • iBreatheBullets
    runagate wrote: »
    I can assure you that having a heavy BP does not raise your physical resistance/armor enough to matter one whit. Also, if it did matter, the three "big pieces" are head, chest, legs. So you could just as easily put an Undaunted helm in their. The reason being that few endgame setups use crafted armor and they come as either light, medium or heavy and you have no say in that, unlike crafted sets. Thus the use of a heavy undaunted set head. Or shoulders. It seriously doesn't matter.

Also, there is no reason except in an attribute-stacking build (like sorc/pets with necropotence or blazing shield health templar or the like) to ever use infused for any piece of armor, ever. I still see people saying this. It was true in 2014 and it is not true now. All divines or impen for pvp unless you're doing something with a roll dodge build or a sturdy/permablock build.

And i'm assuming just divines for PVE?
  • fromerop
    fromerop
    Soul Shriven
    Could someone explain the term referring a build 5-1-1 (I assume is a build?) what does it mean?
    Please, I looked all over goggle and found only an explanation referring to women in labor "Contractions are 5 mins apart, lasting 1 min each, for 1 hour".
    So, I still don't know what Gamers refer as "5-1-1 or 5-0-2 Builds". I would appreciate if all the people in this forum and all forums per say; as I am concerned why people do not speak the common language... would that be English, French, Spanish etc. to communicate effectively. Or at least adding a Glossary at the end of the page explaining Acronyms and Abbreviations. I have wasted today 6 hours trying to decipher a couple of acronyms and terms used in this forum and other related pages in the internet.

Thank you so much
  • nihirisutou
    nihirisutou
    ✭✭✭
    fromerop wrote: »
    Could someone explain the term referring a build 5-1-1 (I assume is a build?) what does it mean?
    Please, I looked all over goggle and found only an explanation referring to women in labor "Contractions are 5 mins apart, lasting 1 min each, for 1 hour".
    So, I still don't know what Gamers refer as "5-1-1 or 5-0-2 Builds". I would appreciate if all the people in this forum and all forums per say; as I am concerned why people do not speak the common language... would that be English, French, Spanish etc. to communicate effectively. Or at least adding a Glossary at the end of the page explaining Acronyms and Abbreviations. I have wasted today 6 hours trying to decipher a couple of acronyms and terms used in this forum and other related pages in the internet.

Thank you so much

The 5-1-1 refers to your armour slots. You have 7 body pieces of armour, in terms of builds you often have a stam/magicka build thus e.g. running 5 pieces of Medium armour, 1 Heavy + 1 Light to benefit from certain passives
    [PS4/EU]

PSN: Nihirisutou

CP: 650+

FOR THE DOMINION!!
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, like Nihiri said, in this case it refers to the armor weight distribution.

Sometimes you see numbers like this refer to number of set pieces too, e.g. "I'm running a 5/5/2 setup on my stamina nightblade", means two sets with full 5 pieces (utilizing 5 armor slots, 3 jewelry slots and 2 weapon slots from dual wield), and a monster set with two pieces (always helm and shoulder). For a magicka char you might have a "5/4/2" setup, one full set, one 4-piece set, and a monster set. Or, "5/5/1", two full 5-piece sets and a single one-piece of a monster set.

Every aspect of life has its own "slang". If you don't understand terms, and can't find information on Google, just ask, like you did. :)
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP