The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Add-ons

erik1618
erik1618
Am I the only one who thinks add-ons in PVP are for n00bs? I'm not talking about auto-invite or master merchant type add-ons. Just wondering if there are other players out there that play without training wheels?
DOZIK
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't run add-ons myself. I did install FTC at a time because with PvE dungeons I had to show my DPS or kick. It is out of date though and I have it disabled in PvP because if they say group 1 aqnd 2 goes to lumber FTC doesn't show me which group I am.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sure you are not the only one.

But in reality, addons are for everyone. Naïve n00b, and hardened veteran.

I have noticed that people who don't like them or don't use them often like to equate those that do use them as inferior in some way. I am not surprised really. People like to divide into groups of "us" and "them" and then tout there group as superior in some way. It's only human.

Most people though fall into the "who cares" category and could care less what you use, addon wise. They know that no addon will save you from a superior opponent.
  • erik1618
    erik1618
    Well said danno.

I am talking about superior pvp only really. When you have a superior opponent fighting another superior opponent and one is using addons and one is not I would say there is a little bit of an unfair advantage. Addons that tell you when to click your skills and what skill your opponent is casting on you is way more information to react to than what you get without addons.
    DOZIK
  • Dorrino
    Dorrino
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    erik1618 wrote: »
    Addons that tell you when to click your skills and what skill your opponent is casting on you is way more information to react to than what you get without addons.

If we stick to this logic, turning off your ui altogether should be the way to go for
    erik1618 wrote: »
    superior pvp

Addons are additions to the ui. Their purpose (just like the purpose of the ui itself) is to inform the player about the fight.

Some players decide that the information provided by the default ui is enough for them to be well-informed.

Some other players find this information lacking or that it is presented not in their preferable style. These players decide to make (use) additions to their interface to alleviate this problem.

The question of addons is the question of different perception schemes of different people.

Considering that addons are freely available to everybody - the decision of using them or not is entirely within the personal preferences of each player.

Decision not to use addons cannot be the basis for unfairness. It is merely a claim that the default ui covers all the needs of the said player, thus making addons redundant and/or distracting for him.
    Edited by Dorrino on January 26, 2017 7:36PM
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The way I see it, the add-ons I use, destinations, mini map, lua +, swaps plus, are things that should have been in the game from day one.

"We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • erik1618
    erik1618
    I appreciate the comments regarding my question about the use of addons in PVP. It is good to see what others think. I personally have always had a negative attitude towards PVP fight enhancing addons because I felt like I was cheating when I tried them. I felt like I had an unfair advantage over others. I also could see how it would give a false sense of skill to players that used them constantly. I would like to see those players PVP without the advantage of addons and see if their skill is still there. I know its just a game, but my thoughts on it...
    DOZIK
  • josh.lackey_ESO
    josh.lackey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Default game interface is inadequate. I would not play if they were not addons.