The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

What type of roleplayer are you in MMORPGs?

• Kram8ion
    Kram8ion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The closest I get to roleplay is picking a race and a class
    I don't think I'm a Rplayer but it's great that people are passionate about it and really get into the game :)
    ps4eu
    Kramm stam man kittyblade

• Sengra
    Sengra
    ✭✭✭
    Other (please feel free to elaborate in the comments)
    I think I've never seen discussions like these outside of ESO boards, and it is difficult to answer for me. I do roleplay (the social kind of RP where you meet up with other RPers in order to interact, develop your character and play though whole story arcs), but when I play the game I am not always completely immersed or 'in character', so you can see me jump around, make silly emotes while waiting at dolmens and just have fun.
    That being said I do care a lot about my characters' look, their names, their personalities and their potential as RP characters (other chars typically get deleted after a while), and when I'm out there alone I do feel different whether it's my orc or my breton or my khajiit fighting and questing. My orc would never play through DB or even TG, and I actually have a hard time deciding who could play DB, because to a certain degree I guess I am in character ... just not to the extent that I start hating people who throw mudballs at me or ride into Cyrodiil in a wedding dress. ;)
    Edited by Sengra on December 30, 2016 9:59AM
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Mwnci
    Mwnci
    ✭✭✭
    Medium immersion (lore name and short background just for me)
    I like to think of believable backstories ( even if nobody else knows about them ).
    I always choose lore appropriate names for my characters. It's actually a pet-peeve of mine to see people not doing that, lol .. "TerminatorPewz" as your character name? I cry for your lack of imagination.
    I even try to figure out how all my characters are interconnected ( ie: shared bank ).
    Edited by Mwnci on January 3, 2017 10:34AM
    Dovahkiin, Dovahkiin, naal ok zin los vahriin,
    Wah dein vokul mahfaeraak ahst vaal!
    Ahrk fin norok paal graan fod nust hon zindro zaan,
    Dovahkiin, fah hin kogaan mu draal!
  • Bryanonymous
    Bryanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My character is built as a powerful wizard and also a cunning merchant who crafts epic armor. The character dresses to impress, and works hard to increase their power as well as their wallet...

However, I am not my character, nor do I ever pretend to be. In chat, my personality is always who I am irl. My role play is from a third person perspective as I control a character through a fantasy. Perhaps the only first person playing I ever actually do is buying and selling.

This is where I believe many are confused about the idea of role playing. It does not necessarily require first person interaction. I can role play as the 'god' who guides 'Bryanonymous', the unique hero whom I have no intention of pretending to be myself.

Though, I will admit, there are many similarities between the character and myself, however there are many differences as well. If I decide to murder someone in a video game, it's because that was the decision made to progress an interesting story, not some underline desire to actually murder anyone irl.

In my honest opinion, so called 'role players' try way too hard to immerse themselves, or pretend to. It really is as easy as watching a movie if you just drop the preconceived expectations put in place by others. You don't need to impress other people by playing by their 'rules' of how to role play. Make your own fantasy, not theirs.

I can see how some couples might have fun role playing though. Speaking in purple emote chat as someone else could be fun, however I'm not the kind to do that with random snobs.
    Edited by Bryanonymous on January 3, 2017 11:59AM
  • Stania
    Stania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually play a character from a "guardian angel" point of view. I define some basic traits, like a lore-friendly name (using a generator), some background story, very few personality traits and preferences (some are the same as mine, some aren't), and let the play-through do the rest . This may sound strange, but it's like my character takes life on his own and I discover more and more things about him that I never defined in the first place, based on the decisions made and sudden actions taken, which I may not agree irl.

I use the chat as a mere communication channel to my guild mates. Perhaps I could roleplay a little more, but my English vocabulary is quite limited for narrative.
    Mwnci wrote: »
    I even try to figure out how all my characters are interconnected ( ie: shared bank ).

Sometimes I imagine my two characters as pen pals that share the same bank space to lower costs, but never see their faces. Occasionally sending each other letters with short tales of their adventures and stuff the other may find useful.
    PC NA server
    ¡Hablo español!
    |vet trial #1|vet trial #2|vet trial #3 HM|Another vet trial|a hard-to-get achievement|
    My characters:
    <List of characters that no one cares to know with their classes and roles>

"Inspirational quote"
  • Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dedicated roleplay (lore name, background, persona play, keep track of stories/arcs, the whole package)
    I roleplay with measured dedication to the shared stories and ongoing developements among other player characters in Tamriel.

Like a lot of other roleplayers I also enjoy the other aspects of the game, PVP, PVE vet dungeons, questing and mastering all forms of crafting, but I separate most of the gameplay from the roleplay. My characters have been almost everywhere and done almost anything there is to do in the game out of character, but In-character they tend to be simple people who don't know much about Tamriel beyond their own small scope. They vaguely know about the planemeld and they don't have a clue about a majority of the work done by the vestige. They don't know how to craft a burlap sack, let alone a sword.

The whole roleplaying experience is more interesting for me if I limit my character's abilities and knowledge. They have to be clever in most situations and they occasionally must rely on others for help.

So when I take my characters out for PVE or PVP gameplay, I've more or less flipped off the RP switch unless there's action-oriented RP taking place with other player characters.
  • FleetwoodSmack
    FleetwoodSmack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm dedicated, however I'm not so dedicated that I end up alienating people out of their experience.
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies!
  • Niko1987
    Niko1987
    ✭✭
    Sort of medium immersion, but it depends heavily on how serious other RPers are. Too often I come across RPers who either don't take their roles seriously enough for me to stay focused or break character way too often for me to remain interested in the RP.
    "It must be nice to fight for something you feel so strongly about. Too often I don't have that luxury."- Ahrilux
    @Niko1987 | PC NA
    Lady Ahrilux | Nord | Dragonknight | STAM Tank in Training
  • Druachan
    Druachan
    ✭✭✭
    Minor persona play (you sometimes interact, fight, or chat based on things like race/class/background/whatever)
    Its important to me that my characters have some kindof background, even if its just for me. Most of the time I am probably playing the game as I would personally, not based on a moral code created by my characters race and background.

Most of the time I'm solo anyway so roleplay is generally with the world.
    Say please, before you AAAAAaaaarrrgghhh at me.
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dedicated roleplay (lore name, background, persona play, keep track of stories/arcs, the whole package)
    I'm a writer, so yeah, I am very much immersed in my characters as I play them, developing and changing them according to their experiences through the game, both scripted and radiant. Each has an in-depth backstory and complex personality, and every choice they make is informed by those. It gives me a lot of satisfaction to create complex characters and set them loose in the world to see what happens.

However, I rarely roleplay in the social sense. I'm not part of a roleplaying guild, and I am rarely "in character" when chatting with someone. It's mostly a case of being surrounded by people who don't roleplay their characters, so I don't see much point slowing down a dungeon run or something with that.

But actions in-game while questing and whatnot? All character-based. :)
    Edited by BlackSparrow on January 23, 2017 10:51PM
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Major persona play (you often interact, fight, or chat based on things like race/class/background/whatever but don't always worry about keeping track of a story)
    Very interesting, @tinythinker !
    How did you construct these types? Are they made according to evidence from your own experience or from some kind of litterature theory? I had to ponder some time before recognising myself in one, as I am primarly "heavy immersion type" with some "dedicated" features...but since I follow the game mechanics, my story arcs are "as broken as the Dragon" haha.

I am not aware of the state of english-speaking roleplay that much. These types make quite sense though!
    As a french player who observed tendances for some years in MMO I've got a similar pattern with slightly different types:

A range from "integral" (fulltime natural roleplay) that rely on maximum immersion, often informal interactions, lawfulness regarding gameplay and NPC schemes - to the opposite, "purist" (session-driven formalized roleplay) that rely on rp-gamemasters and regular events but not playing the game in immersion nor taking the game into account.
    While the integral is making the game a world, the purist is shooting some sparks of "pure coherent" roleplay like on a cinema set.

Of course between these two kinds of dangerous extremists (lol I must confess I am of the former type) there are subgradients... And maybe another axis for "dedication", from ultra-casual to hardcore.
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Light immersion (lore friendly name)
    I just try and make sure my name is lore appropriate or close enough. That's pretty much the extent of it.
    I don't RP but I respect those that do. Guess it comes from playing with them on City of Heroes and LOTRO.

"If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Sk1zzard
    Sk1zzard
    Soul Shriven
    Dedicated and as immersive as possible.
    Edited by Sk1zzard on March 7, 2020 11:12AM
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavy immersion (lore and long background just for me or maybe a few others too)
    I don't role play in games much anymore, but I used to back in my star wars galaxies days and even a little in warcraft.

However, I always have some form of background for my characters, even if nobody else is privy to it.

In eso, I have three characters (well, one is a placeholder for a future warden, but that's besides the point). All three are khajiit siblings, they look very similar to fit that (all use the same base fur color and pattern, all have varying shades of green eyes, and they all have the same nose marking).

My future warden is the eldest of the three, and has a slightly aged look to him. He's the warrior of the trio, and as such is the tallest and bulkiest. He has longer hair and a big beard, with wide/staunch features. I'm hoping we'll eventually get some kind of brawler/warrior personality to use for him, but for now it's just the commander one.

My stamina nightblade is the middle child. He looks significantly younger than the warden, has more richly colored/saturated hair, a smaller beard/goatee, slightly more angular features, and a medium height/build. He's the thief of the group, and uses the assassin personality for a sly deadly attitude.

My female magicka dragonknight is the youngest, made thin and short with more rounded features to give a younger look. She's the mage of the three, and uses the duchess personality for lack of something "cuter".
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Spontaneous/Random roleplay (like persona play but more fluid, there is no persistent persona)
    I love to make a character with restrictive gameplay.. with skills and custom leveling system and make the story as I go
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I only make a character if I am excited by the idea of that character
    out of 8 character slots - I have 4 argonian characters, 3 nords, and one Dark Elf.
    Each character was a specific race/class combination with a backstory & theme in mind.

I have ideas for 2 other Dark Elves but they can wait.
    1. I need to level my other characters
    2. I only make one character for each chapter added

4 of them are the base game characters
    templar, nightblade, dragonknight, and sorcerer.
    the other 4 were added one at a time per chapter (the 4th made ready for the Greymoor chapter)
    Edited by Iccotak on February 22, 2020 2:39PM
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dedicated when I can, otherwise Major Persona.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • Zulera301
    Zulera301
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't roleplay every little thing I do. Like, all my characters in-game are crafters and do a lot of contract/daily quests, but not all of them would do these things in-character.

But when I switch to "roleplay mode", I keep fairly lore-friendly names and have rich, detailed backstories for my characters that tie into the bigger picture but without being like "my player character has altered the TES lore" or anything godmodding like that.

Shortly after the formation of the Ebonheart Pact, a Nord woman was given a tour of the Tribunal Temple. When later asked about the experience, she seemed upset. Suffice to say, the Dunmer were not pleased to hear this, and thus they inquired further.
    "Well," the Nord frowned, "the priests were very angry and unwelcoming. They kept shouting things at me like "you can't drink that mead in here!" and "somebody stop her, she's running naked!" and "we can't catch her; she's covered in grease!""
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The closest I get to roleplay is picking a race and a class
    I write fiction for a living, so I’m always creating characters and developing their stories — that’s my job. Games are a way for me to relax and to enjoy *someone’s else’s* story. So no role-playing for me.
  • Aendruu
    Aendruu
    ✭✭✭
    Heavy immersion (lore and long background just for me or maybe a few others too)
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    Kinda got the idea from reading 'The metaphysics of Morrowind' <snip>
    @newtinmpls Thank you for mentioning this. It's an intriguing piece of writing.

[Edit] Added a link to the article.
    Edited by Aendruu on February 25, 2020 3:04PM
    "So, drinking is a sacrament to Y'ffre... because it's his way of reminding us not to take things too seriously... You know how the other Elves are. Altmer have their crystal towers, and that's how they want to be — cold and perfect. And Dunmer are just like their Red Mountain — smouldering and dark. We just want to have a drink and not worry about it."
    - Regring the Spinner
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amazing work that article, I go back and re-read it every so often.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Spontaneous/Random roleplay (like persona play but more fluid, there is no persistent persona)
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    Amazing work that article, I go back and re-read it every so often.

I went back to 2015 and read all the articles, the ones on the front page you see are the best I have seen so I commentate on them since they are never gonna be out of date with the game I think.

I was thinking of doing that with the General Discussion too.. but 4550 pages.. lol no way
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to make a backstory, even if I don't really share it with others, and create their life aspiration, to make what I do in the game make sense, or to compliment my play style (I like to explore, appreciate scenery, pose and use emotes to makes scenes, act like its just another day in Tamriel, decorate and collect multiple homes, etc.).

Delric Yggdravitus: A studied Breton Warden from the Daggerfall Mages Guild. He recently purchased a townhouse in Summerset to continue his studies abroad at the Alinor Mages Guild. He has an unmatched affinity for nature (Healing Thicket is my favorite skill!) and loves traveling with his animal companions (wolf mount and wild guardian... deciding on a pet). An adventurer and scholar, Delric prefers hands on studying in the field: exploring dungeons, tombs, ruins, uncharted regions, other realms... Restful vacation? He'd rather travel across the world and uncover its secrets.

Delric gradually adds to his collection of books, trophies, and more with each adventure. His goal is to one day open his house to all, forming the Guild of Scholars, dedicated to seeking out and studying lost knowledge, ancient ruins, and forgotten relics, sharing his discoveries with curious minds. Magick, history, crafts, combat... no subject is off limits.

Since some knowledge is best kept secret... Delric formed a secret sect of the guild, the Council of Scions. Comprised primarily of esteemed scholars and loyal guild members, each appointed for their specialized experience/knowledge, they represent and advise on their particular field of study. This council embarks on expeditions to retrieve dangerous relics, tomes, and more, to protect Tamriel from itself. The Scions meet in secret to decide what knowledge is shared, and what knowledge is locked away. At times, they have been known to study/hunt dangerous monsters/Daedra.

Thats all I have thus far. The more I play the more I naturally add to each characters story. Started an Altmer Templar.... excited to begin cooking up his backstory...