Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Alchemy Hireling

xaraan
xaraan
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I would like to see the one crafting skill that doesn't have a hireling get one. Not sure how others feel, but I think it would be a good addition to the game. It wouldn't have to be overpowered to be useful, even getting a few of a couple reagents, or waters or whatever would make it a useful hireling IMO.
-- @xaraan --
nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
AD • NA • PC
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    xaraan wrote: »
    I would like to see the one crafting skill that doesn't have a hireling get one. Not sure how others feel, but I think it would be a good addition to the game. It wouldn't have to be overpowered to be useful, even getting a few of a couple reagents, or waters or whatever would make it a useful hireling IMO.

I use th db supplier for what boils down to a 1 skill pt daily supply that is mostly the eq to an alchemy pack - 2 trips od reagents, grease water. Othrr days its multi effect pots.

Comparing alchemy to provisioning, both have the bulknof their ingredients used as level independent, diff from equips.
    Alchemy burns a leveling ingred solvent/fat every use but prov you just lesrn the recipe once.

I am ambivalent on the hireling. I dont run short on reagents so i dont see a need. I dont mind one craft being different, and with alch being the best at "everything mostly stays useful forever" the stuff i get ehen leveling mu lvl 30 helps my cappers just fine..

I doubt i would spend 3 skills on it like the other hirelings, unles for selling.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to hear on the DB guy, I just opened that up on a character so maybe I'll see some benefit there.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Consumable writs are free gold. Use 50 mats, get 100 days of instant completion. If they added a hireling, be sure ZoS will make it a pain in the rear...

The only change to alchemy I want to see is bigger volumes of mats per harvest. I can use 200 pots in a day between mandatory dungeon runs and PvP. It's the only part of the game I see as a complete chore.
  • erliesc
    erliesc
    ✭✭✭

In a related note....IMO the echantment hireling is pretty useless....can't sell most for profit...except for kuta...got tons of $1 ta....

The reason there is no reagent hireling...is likely because reagents are valuable for the most part. They are valuable because using them in the right combo is EFFECTIVE?
    I know nutting....
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    erliesc wrote: »

In a related note....IMO the echantment hireling is pretty useless....can't sell most for profit...except for kuta...got tons of $1 ta....

The reason there is no reagent hireling...is likely because reagents are valuable for the most part. They are valuable because using them in the right combo is EFFECTIVE?

Also, i gotta say while poisons arent everyones cup of tea, the ability to have effective poison use from easily accessible alchemy reagents and waters/fat vs the rarity of gold kuta for enchants... that goes a long way IMO. There are simply more than enuf cases where a drain health for 4s (dmg+heal) poison isn't just plain good when compared to anything but gold enchants.

Alchemy has:
    • low burn rate for ingredients (3-4 ingred = 4-16 yield)
    • mostly non-level items so every level harvests useful stuff for everyone else
    • no-rare-quality tokens choke points
    • offensive and defensive capabilities
    • clear unequivocable superiority over the dropped alchemy items.

Only provisioning comes close.

IMO Alch doesn't need a buff.

Edited by STEVIL on October 24, 2016 4:46PM
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

"The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I agree that most plants are useful for the most part vs. waiting for a gold mat to show up on other hirelings, but I don't think offering like 3 of a plant in a shipment and some waters will throw things out of whack.
    -- @xaraan --
    AD • NA • PC
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kind of want to touch on this again with the introduction of tvstone alchemy bags -

This is almost exactly what I'd like to see with a hireling, but I'd make the drop about half the size of what you get in the stone bags and add the chance to also get waters in as well. But I can't see anyway this gets OP with the intro of the new alchemy bags.
    -- @xaraan --
    AD • NA • PC
  • erliesc
    erliesc
    ✭✭✭
    What I'd like to see is a comparison of the effects of glyphs vs potions as applied to weapons. Didn't know for a good while that glyphs only work a certain % of the time...just like potions.

I use dropped poisons sometimes...but have no way of knowing if they are as good as the glyphs I make. I COULD make poisons...but haven't because of this.

A lot of the terms used in the game are not wlll defined...so how can anyone make a decision?

I do make some lower level glyphs for the experience and to sell...uses up extra runes....
    I know nutting....
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What I'd like to see is a comparison of the effects of glyphs vs potions as applied to weapons. Didn't know for a good while that glyphs only work a certain % of the time...just like potions.

I use dropped poisons sometimes...but have no way of knowing if they are as good as the glyphs I make. I COULD make poisons...but haven't because of this.

A lot of the terms used in the game are not wlll defined...so how can anyone make a decision?

I do make some lower level glyphs for the experience and to sell...uses up extra runes....

one example from a cp160+ set (my cp included as i think they show on tooltip maybe)

Drain health poison does per second for 4.4 secs 1402 poison damage and 1433 health gain. Cooldown 10s.
    has 20% chance to proc so it will typically proc inside of say three seconds of fighting. So lets say over a 16s run it gets a full proc and cooldown - thats about 7k damage and 7100 health restored.

Drain life enchant on same weapon - i think it was kuta but maybe it was purple not sure either way more rare than the poison ingredients - procs every weapon hit with 4s cooldown. so over 16s it gets 4 procs and is ready to proc again. it does 1754 damage per and 900 health back so thats 7k damage magic and 3600 health back.

just plain poison damage enchant this time definitely kuta on same character procs each time for 2807 poison dmg so thats almost 11k damage but no health.

So poison is 7k/7k dmg and heal, drain health enchant is 7k/3600 on dmg/heal and straight poison dmg enchant is abt 11k just damage.

There are of course many other poisons and enchants - the straight dsmg only poison is better damage - there are damage buffs damage debuffs etc. There are also enchants which raise your spl/wpn dmg for like 5 s with 10s cool and ones that reduce enemy defenses etc.

IMO they are comparable in effectiveness depending on what you do and how you do it.

IMO the biggest differences are not in potency but in functionality over time:
    1. The components for poisons are easily acquired in large numbers and as effective or very close to it as yellow quality kuta glyphs. Ingredients much more common than yellow kuta stones = plus for poisons. Some good poisons like the simply poison damage one may only require two ingredients, not three.
    2. Poisons are not fixed. if you burn a kuta onto a weapon and then get a better weapon, you need a new kuta. You can apply your poisons to your precise inferno staff and then just move them to your sharpened one without losing a hitch. Makes poisons more useful in a changing world or during acquisition periods. but if you will never ever change weapons again - not an issue. Poison mobility = plus for poisons.
    3. Poisons are more flexible: Poisons can be switched in and out easily - add the drain poison for solo dungeons, add the all damage for DPS, add the target takes inc damage for group play support etc. They can even be swapped back and forth between characters onto different weapons. Poison flexibility = plus for poisons
    4. Poisons do burn out and unless you have your own alchemist making 16 uses per pop... it can be an issue. Encvhants require recharging but thats easy. Poisons uses expended = plus for enchants.

So if you have an alchemist and an enchanter in your midst, you have options and can choose what you prefer but i find poisons very useful and typically have poisons on at least one bar.

Edited by STEVIL on December 29, 2016 7:23PM
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

• erliesc
    erliesc
    ✭✭✭
    good info. My one crafter does both...he probably needs to up his game some though...will be looking into the poisons more...I'm only crafting into the 40-50 levels so far though.

Need to discover more potion/poison combos...need to sit down and try most combos till I find the unidentified ones...then I might get a bit further.
    I know nutting....
  • Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stevil, big thank you for the explanation.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Reivax wrote: »
    Stevil, big thank you for the explanation.

De nada.

hope it helps.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

• carljokl
    carljokl
    ✭✭✭
    Replace useless Snake's Blood with a Hireling!
    My Characters

Xargothius: Breton - JOAT / Magsorc | Orchid the Fair: Orismer - Crafter / Heavy Tank | Voneri Vox: Dunmer - Magplar Healer | Rexorgiana: Imperial - Temptress / Magblade
    Phirkius: Altmer - MagSorc | Rexorigus: Imperial - Med Tank / StamKnight | Sven Svedishchef: Nord - Provisioner / Stamplar | Finds-All-Fungi: Argonian - Alchemist/ Stamblade
    Emerald-Wild-Guard: Bosmer - Wyrd / StamSorc | Nates Datum Festi: Imperial - Light Tank / StamKnight | Magnolia Desert-Blossom: Redguard - 2 Handed Stamplar | Shadow-Softpaw: Khajiit - StamBlade
    Sorcerer | Dragon Knight | Templar | Night Blade
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    carljokl wrote: »
    Replace useless Snake's Blood with a Hireling!

i would rather see a chance at decon (and yes some mixtures can be separated with some parts extracted and wtf if a glypn can yield a stone in extraction, i should be able to get some water out of a mixture.)

Would give us something to do with the scads and scads of white cloudy potion and poison drops - and target the same "number of mats available" issue.

YFMV Your Fun May Vary.