Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

X1 issue

• NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jellicles wrote: »
    Balibe wrote: »
    I tested three areas on three different characters ..... Glenumbra, Bankgoria & Rawl'kha .....

The /logout worked on all three without a timer and return to the character screen .....

I know DaryaK recommended logging out in safe areas, I will try to test in some non-safe areas to see what happens ..... will postthe findings .....

But the point is to be able to use /logout when there is a timer. The typed command always works for me only when there is no timer. If there is a timer I am still stuck with having to travel to an area where there is no timer required to exit.

@jellicles
    How are you typing it? It does work with a timer

Chatpad, keyboard, smartglass, controller?
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on December 7, 2016 12:32AM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Go to a "safe zone" ie somewhere that doesn't need a logout timer like a city, I use the bank, and logout... Simples.
    They have addressed it and are trying to fix it. Patience
  • jellicles
    jellicles
    ✭✭✭
    I tested three areas on three different characters ..... Glenumbra, Bankgoria & Rawl'kha .....

The /logout worked on all three without a timer and return to the character screen .....

I know DaryaK recommended logging out in safe areas, I will try to test in some non-safe areas to see what happens ..... will postthe findings .....

But the point is to be able to use /logout when there is a timer. The typed command always works for me only when there is no timer. If there is a timer I am still stuck with having to travel to an area where there is no timer required to exit.

@jellicles

How do I type /logout, well one character at a time. How do you type it? This solution is a classic 'lipstick on a pig' remedy: it does not do anything to improve the pig's appearance and it annoys the pig. And now compound the problem by substituting a crayon for lipstick. Sad. Evidently I have company in my misery because I have read posts from many other users reporting that /logout does not work.

Enough whinging and back to cases. To invoke the chat text input I do this using my controller: menu button --> 'X' button on controller --> 'A' button to select text input area --> Either type using the chat pad or use the controller.

I have used both a Microsoft chat pad attached to my controller and the controller itself to enter the command into the Text Chat input. I have not used Smartglass because it is a needless complication to an already stupid, stupid defect. I do not own a USB keyboard that the Xbox One S recognizes. And, yes, I did try that but no joy. Yet another journey down a slippery slope which takes this user farther and farther from a solution.

So now that I have told you, @NewBlacksmurf, what I have tried, what is your secret to success? How do you enter the /logout command.
  • jellicles
    jellicles
    ✭✭✭
    pod88kk wrote: »
    Go to a "safe zone" ie somewhere that doesn't need a logout timer like a city, I use the bank, and logout... Simples.
    They have addressed it and are trying to fix it. Patience

No, @pod88kk, customer support has not addressed this. For one, what and where is a safe zone? For another exactly what is a 'safe zone,' per se. You would think cities are safe but not from this defect. Did you know that for a collection of characters one area may be safe and for another not so much? Players with multiple characters pay a terrible tax on their time when cycling through those characters to collect hireling deliveries and/or perform crafting writs. In my case it increases the time to do writs by 50%.

And patience can be a matter of degree.That is, for ten characters I must spend 90 minutes instead of an hour to perform crafting writs. On a given day with real life demands that extra half hour is more than I have to give to this or any other game.

The user should never have been put in this situation. Full stop. How does any regression test suite fail to cover a character logout problem? How can the support team recommend a solution which is itself an edge case and not identify it as such?
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37006

Yes @jellicles I know it shouldn't be in the game but it is so deal with it. They've so much to look after this little thing really isn't that important. Give them a break they've created a great game, ok it has its bugs, but it's still great.

Also I do writs on 8 characters on a daily basis and always find time to do them.... Within 30-45 mins, it's not hard mate just need to be organized
    Edited by pod88kk on December 7, 2016 6:58PM
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@jellicles

How do I type /logout, well one character at a time. How do you type it? This solution is a classic 'lipstick on a pig' remedy: it does not do anything to improve the pig's appearance and it annoys the pig. And now compound the problem by substituting a crayon for lipstick. Sad. Evidently I have company in my misery because I have read posts from many other users reporting that /logout does not work.

Enough whinging and back to cases. To invoke the chat text input I do this using my controller: menu button --> 'X' button on controller --> 'A' button to select text input area --> Either type using the chat pad or use the controller.

I have used both a Microsoft chat pad attached to my controller and the controller itself to enter the command into the Text Chat input. I have not used Smartglass because it is a needless complication to an already stupid, stupid defect. I do not own a USB keyboard that the Xbox One S recognizes. And, yes, I did try that but no joy. Yet another journey down a slippery slope which takes this user farther and farther from a solution.

So now that I have told you, @NewBlacksmurf, what I have tried, what is your secret to success? How do you enter the /logout command.

@jellicles
    Sorry it's just to see why there are different results. I've specifically tried your way as a test....so I'll share:

It doesn't work if you use the controller (Crazy right...I was surprised)

My success is not to trigger the text chat menu using the controller at all

Using the chatpad with the chat box enabled in settings I do the following

Press <enter>
    Press the orange key
    /logout
    Press <enter>

I never using any buttons other than the chatpad keys and all while that sounds rediculous, based on your experiences, it seems that's the difference.

For me it works 100% that way
    I recorded this on my profile. Very odd that it only works with a keyboard excluding all controller buttons.

@ZOS_GinaBruno and @ZOS_DaryaK
    Hope this helps fix the bug
  • jellicles
    jellicles
    ✭✭✭
    https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37006

Yes @jellicles I know it shouldn't be in the game but it is so deal with it. They've so much to look after this little thing really isn't that important. Give them a break they've created a great game, ok it has its bugs, but it's still great.

Also I do writs on 8 characters on a daily basis and always find time to do them.... Within 30-45 mins, it's not hard mate just need to be organized

First I have to ask you, @pod88kk , how did you conceal text? Because when I read the post all I saw was the link and the statement 'How does humble pie taste?' (And lest I forget, just fine if it resolves a painful issue.) Yet when I quote you the snark is gone and instead I found what I would call a reasonable and conversant reply. So I will choose to ignore the sarcasm and carry on with the points you offer.

Now see here, @pod88kk , I, too, enjoy this game and find the features that do work to be well done. It is an accomplishment. I have played Elder Scrolls Online since its Xbox launch and hope to continue to play it for some time to come.

I have already visited the link you cited because I do read whatever support recommends. And was it helpful? Well, not so much, because it did not tell me what a safe zone is within a city. Besides, I would think that inherently all cities are safe from the monsters and other critters one finds in the wilderness.

I have no doubt that product development is desperate for a solution because who wants to not only fail the customer but also look foolish for having put the customer in that position. Not being able exit a session is an obvious and embarrassing defect. Telling the customer to dashboard in order to force quit the game is not an acceptable workaround. Besides being lame, I expect that it puts the software and the user account into an unstable state when it is restarted.

Belkarth is where I must deliver writs for five of my ten characters. I cannot logout inside the city limits of Belkarth with those or any of my other characters. If I visit the bank, any of the crafting areas, or the inn in that town, the logout feature fails whether I use the GUI or text chat.

Here is my current routine:
    1. character is located in what I suppose is a safe zone
    2. travel to wayshrine
    3. travel to Belkarth
    4. collect writs
    5. prepare and deliver writs
    6. travel back to location from which I may logout
    Travel between zones adds to overhead and confounds efficiency.

You estimate that it takes 30 to 45 minutes for eight characters. Before this fiasco, for ten characters at peak efficiency it took me 45 to 55 minutes. If I was relaxed or wished to be deliberate in this process it would take an hour. So I was not so far off your mark. I would dare suggest that I am organized in going about this.
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just edited it so it didn't seem mean, don't want to go around hurting people's feelings
  • jellicles
    jellicles
    ✭✭✭
    I just edited it so it didn't seem mean, don't want to go around hurting people's feelings

Weird. Probably the browser kept a handle to the old content even after a refresh. Oh, well.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man....
    Just freaking type enter.../logout...enter

ESO plus doesn't give crowns since release. You think they're actually gonna focus on this over that or the constant kicking of ppl or game crashing.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on December 7, 2016 11:29PM
  • jellicles
    jellicles
    ✭✭✭
    Man....
    Just freaking type enter.../logout...enter

ESO plus doesn't give crowns since release. You think they're actually gonna focus on this over that or the constant kicking of ppl or game crashing.

As for the typing, well, that is exactly what I did and no joy. And, @NewBlacksmurf , as for your other comments on fix prioritization, point taken. Thanks.
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dude just go to one of the many cities in Tamriel I recommend davons watch in stonefalls.
    I presume you've actually figured this out by now and haven't left your Xbox on and your characters logged in for that long because that's just stupid.
  • jellicles
    jellicles
    ✭✭✭
    Dude just go to one of the many cities in Tamriel I recommend davons watch in stonefalls.
    I presume you've actually figured this out by now and haven't left your Xbox on and your characters logged in for that long because that's just stupid.

Staying logged on would be pretty desperate, eh what? So I found that not all the major cities (e.g., The Hollow City) work consistently across all my characters and some never work at all (e.g., Belkarth). But there is one that does (e.g., Marbruk) and I have homed all my playing characters there until the fix rolls out with the next patch.