The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mageblade

philontwitch
I am fortunately not biased towards this class type at all. I run a High Elf Mageblade - I call the build ninja assassin. Mageblades in my opinion are the strongest in a 1v1 situation, but they are the hardest to play. They have many counters, they are normally glass cannons, and being the fact its a nightblade my kind is hunted.

The tricky part to Mageblade is you must be able to outplay, this is a very real thing. Guerrilla warfare.
My method is quite simple, you must slightly anticipate your enemies movements in order to cloak and run away.

Your main reliant on dmg is your 1shot potential is a real threat and they know this.
Mageblades can and will 1 shot, but normally you got back off immediately. Mageblade squishy tasty treat for anyone. so you have to have an escape bar and know how to use it.

The main things long story short to mageblade ladies and gents in pvp.
Make a nightblade
pump em with magicka
wear full lights
make em single target

make your first bar an all bar combo nuke, then your second bar is for playing mind games.
Mind games so fancy no one can catch you, just light AA ranged, and run till your nuke bar ultimate is up
then 1 shot someone else.

Chill Darkness NA Xbox one
Look out for the Red/black Jester Mageblade.
WolfBear Clan. Bear Leader - Highelf Magicka Nightblade PVP
  • AzuraKin
    AzuraKin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mage blades are not nukes, not by a far shot. highest a mage blade can nuke, 1 ult, 1 prox det, funnel health/veiled strike spam. total damage? less then wb spam, snipe spam. not excluding also the fact that mageblades best sources of healing is thier class heals (restro staff sure can out heal damage, but you will never get a attack off if you using restro staff for healing in a 1v1 pvp situation)
    v160 spellsword (nightblade)
    v160 restoration archmage (Templar)
    v160 battlemage (sorcerer)
    v160 restoration archmage (Templar)
    v160 warrior (DragonKnight)
    v160 assassin (nightblade)
    v160 swordsman (sorcerer)
    v160 spellsword (nightblade)
  • philontwitch
    AzuraKin wrote: »
    mage blades are not nukes, not by a far shot. highest a mage blade can nuke, 1 ult, 1 prox det, funnel health/veiled strike spam. total damage? less then wb spam, snipe spam. not excluding also the fact that mageblades best sources of healing is thier class heals (restro staff sure can out heal damage, but you will never get a attack off if you using restro staff for healing in a 1v1 pvp situation)

Thanks for the tips man. My build works very good. I dont use the resto staff for healing. I actually dont need to heal a whole lot either, like at all. I nuke pretty much anything I touch with my Mageblade so im sorry you dont know how to build one. Good luck in your duels mate.
    WolfBear Clan. Bear Leader - Highelf Magicka Nightblade PVP
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only viable magblade build i know is the hvy attack from stealth build....everything else besides group Eye of the Storm bombing gets wrecked by stam proc builds.
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw an absolutely hilarious Dstaff+Rstaff nightblade dueling in rawl last night using an ice staff and wearing the jester costume. I didn't see him lose a single fight - those immobilizes are amazing fight control. I can imagine using such a build in open world PVP, using LOS and immobilize to divide and conquer could be very successful. He was killing the mDKs (A destro magnb's worst nightmare) mostly with resto heavy attacks and waiting until their stam was drained to burst them in fear. Love it.
    Edited by Kutsuu on December 1, 2016 3:38PM
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu the Destroyer - NB
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kutsuu wrote: »
    Saw an absolutely hilarious Dstaff+Rstaff nightblade dueling in rawl last night using an ice staff and wearing the jester costume. I didn't see him lose a single fight - those immobilizes are amazing fight control. I can imagine using such a build in open world PVP, using LOS and immobilize to divide and conquer could be very successful. He was killing the mDKs (A destro magnb's worst nightmare) mostly with resto heavy attacks and waiting until their stam was drained to burst them in fear. Love it.

Except frost clench and cripple move at the speed of smell, obey passive dodge chance modifiers, are purgeable and most gap closers work while rooted.
  • alephthiago
    alephthiago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AzuraKin wrote: »

Thanks for the tips man. My build works very good. I dont use the resto staff for healing. I actually dont need to heal a whole lot either, like at all. I nuke pretty much anything I touch with my Mageblade so im sorry you dont know how to build one. Good luck in your duels mate.

Care to update a video of open world pvp with your build then?

I have been playing magblade for the last 6 months, my bag and all my bank is basically FULL of magblade sets, that means 12 sets crafted or dropped, i came to the conclusion i really dont care that much about my other 7 toons.

The styles i have tested so far in no order.

1 - heavy attack one shot destro gank
    2 - stacking shield dual wield light armor brawler
    3 - destro stacking shield light armor
    4 - Heavy armor, no cloack, superior healing destro/ resto

1 - kills a lot, but its boring and you really dont find people alone or semi-alone that often, doesnt work against experienced players in small groups.
    2 - works barelly...as soons as more people join the fight you are screwed, cloack kills you more than save.
    3 - works a little better than 2, a little bit less damage but not being in melee range allows a better use of shades.
    4 - the best one so far, i have been able to 1vx, go against famous players without dying, make people just run away because they cant kill me while i nuke then from the back, gankers dont like me, if an enemy is taking my resource i go there, alone, no cloack and if there are 2 or less i can handle it just fine.

So dont say this kinda of *** to people "I nuke pretty much anything I touch with my Mageblade so im sorry you dont know how to build one" because there are MANY ways to build one and apart from example 1, a pure ganking build, magblade really lacks finishing power other than meteor+ fear+merciless combo.

Edited by alephthiago on December 6, 2016 6:39PM
    Walks-in-Shadowss AD Magblade
    *** kitty AD Stamblade
    Paarthurnax's Will AD Magicka DK
    agnar cracked skull EP Magicka DK (veteran dragonstar arena bot)
    Klogi Mugdul AD Stamina DK
    Savre Selranni AD Magicka Sorc (being polished)
    Avenar Lolhealing AD Magicka Templar (being polished)

• Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought there might be a topic in here...turns out it's just "I'm so awesome, you guys"
  • Ashamray
    Ashamray
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool story. Decent opponent never, never runs out of stamina in a duel. It's just a duelist's golden rule.
    Edited by Ashamray on December 6, 2016 7:24PM
    Boadrig, EU PC

Very Balanced
    Battleground Beta Testers
    Cite's Legacy
    Colosseum

Imperial City frequenter
    Imperial City feedback and suggestions
  • Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ashamray wrote: »

Cool story. Decent opponent never, never runs out of stamina in a duel. It's just a duelist's golden rule.

You could always go out there and prove your prowess over such an easy to kill build assuming you play on PC. Mag builds absolutely can run out of stam when constantly taking burst damage that they want to block, and having to break a fear that would kill them every ~8s.
    exeeter702 wrote: »

Except frost clench and cripple move at the speed of smell, obey passive dodge chance modifiers, are purgeable and most gap closers work while rooted.

The only gap closer that works while rooted is Teleport Strike morphs afaik. Yeah I'm sure magplars would be harder to deal with than some other classes. Nobody else is going to be spamming efficient purge enough to keep themselves mobile with the mag cost.

Figured that post would trigger some salty magblades who are on the "please buff us" campaign.
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu the Destroyer - NB
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You could always go out there and prove your prowess over such an easy to kill build assuming you play on PC. Mag builds absolutely can run out of stam when constantly taking burst damage that they want to block, and having to break a fear that would kill them every ~8s.

The only gap closer that works while rooted is Teleport Strike morphs afaik. Yeah I'm sure magplars would be harder to deal with than some other classes. Nobody else is going to be spamming efficient purge enough to keep themselves mobile with the mag cost.

Figured that post would trigger some salty magblades who are on the "please buff us" campaign.

It is really hard to run out of stamina on a magblade though because it fills up just from light attacking. I also find the ice staff root nightblades too only work in duels for the most part. Its not that great in open world unless you are a support role for a small group. It use to be really good when everyone wasn't so tanky. Magblades should probably be buffed or atleast fix shadow image and merciless resolve so they are more reliable. Cloak could use some work as well. And the strife animation is horrible
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

People dont run out of stamina in duels man... not if they are worth a ***. In stupid large scale cyrodil, you cant go 2 feet without seeing an extended ritual on the floor.

Sorry but the ranged kiting dynamic that is usually present in most mmos with range vs melee variety barely exists here. The fact that between dodge roll and shuffle, you are having to cast the same roots multiple times just to make sure it will succeed thanks largely in part that the strongest ranged magick roots are so god damn slow, you are not afforded the luxury of waiting for the spell to finally connect before you continue with your other actions.
  • NoFlash
    NoFlash
    ✭✭✭
    I am fortunately not biased towards this class type at all. I run a High Elf Mageblade - I call the build ninja assassin. Mageblades in my opinion are the strongest in a 1v1 situation, but they are the hardest to play. They have many counters, they are normally glass cannons, and being the fact its a nightblade my kind is hunted.

The tricky part to Mageblade is you must be able to outplay, this is a very real thing. Guerrilla warfare.
    My method is quite simple, you must slightly anticipate your enemies movements in order to cloak and run away.

Your main reliant on dmg is your 1shot potential is a real threat and they know this.
    Mageblades can and will 1 shot, but normally you got back off immediately. Mageblade squishy tasty treat for anyone. so you have to have an escape bar and know how to use it.

The main things long story short to mageblade ladies and gents in pvp.
    Make a nightblade
    pump em with magicka
    wear full lights
    make em single target

make your first bar an all bar combo nuke, then your second bar is for playing mind games.
    Mind games so fancy no one can catch you, just light AA ranged, and run till your nuke bar ultimate is up
    then 1 shot someone else.

Chill Darkness NA Xbox one
    Look out for the Red/black Jester Mageblade.

show us your build in action. I want to see magblades nuke people in pvp post 1T
    Daggerfall Covenant

The Ninja Squirrels