Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Skills while levelling question.

Ryanbushie
Ryanbushie
Soul Shriven
Came back to ESO after the One Tamirel update hit, not played since launch and never really got into the game anyway. Been levelling a magicka sorc and its been going well. Only issue ive come into atm is that i literally do not need a second skill bar for the moment. My main bar is destro staff using Crystal frags, unstable clanfear, endless fury, healing springs (to level restro) and force shock with energy overload ulti.

My current plan is to keep that skill bar to level destro, restro and all my skill lines as equal as possible until 50, then decide on my build and focus on skills. My second bar atm is just been used for skills i dont need but will be useful in the future. I just switch to it for quest turn ins. Is this a somewhat sound plan until 50?. Any feedback is greatly appreciated but please refrain from huge noob killing lectures about optimal builds and skills because theres enough of them on the internet already. Thanks.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, lots of people do it this way to get mob exp on one bar and quest on another.

However, while leveling you should be preparing your self for the future, not your build (as that will change). So:

1. While leveling, have one class skill from each class on your bars at all times. Classes level the slowest, so get them done now.
    2. Have at least one weapon skill on your bar at all times
    3. Have a flex or support skill you want to level at all times
    4. Once the skill gets to the Morph stage, then put another one on the bar to level that rather than take the morph.

Your not going to have the best DPS now, but you will have the most flexibility later. You can apply this to both bars equally or some other way, but this is the best method while leveling 1 to 50. Reason, the game Buffs you right now to make you stronger than you really are. So, take advantage of that. You don't need the optimal skill load out, you need the optimal leveling load out.

Also, try to wear at least one of each weight of armor to get all those lines leveled.

Once you get up to or near 50, you should have all the skills that matter at Morph stage, your armors at 50 and most important, your classes at 50. Then, you can optimize your build.
    Edited by Nestor on November 4, 2016 5:24PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I concur with everything Nestor said and would add a few minor other tips.

In addition to a leveling bar for quest turn in, I always keep one skill and usually one ultimate on my fight bar. Quest turn ins are good xp, but running around generates a fair bit more.

Two, once you hit lvl 50 your account will earn "enlightenment" once a day. It's a bit of a confusing system, but basically once per day you get to earn 375,000 xp at 8x the normal rate. In other words, when under enlightenment a monster you kill that's usually worth 1,000 xp will be worth 8,000. When you kill that monster, a slider on your character sheet will show that you now have 367,000 points of enlightenment left. You can "store up" as much as 12 days enligtenment at any given time. (About 4.5 million points).

Why is this important to leveling? Because all that extra xp is feeding into your skills. The skill leveling that takes 8 hours as a level 49 character now takes 1 hour. And a quest that returns 8,000 xp, like a world boss daily, now returns 64,000 xp. Therefore, while I agree that you should level a variety of skill lines and abilities on your way to level 50 and champion rank, don't stress too much about it because as a vet character it's easy to use enlightenment to rapidly work up and skill line or ability that levels through xp earns.