The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can I be a viable healer as a Sorcerer?

• Ommamar
    Ommamar
    ✭✭✭✭
    jonzhao68 wrote: »
    Thanks, you guys have been extremely helpful. On a side note, since you guys have been around much longer than I have and have maybe heard something, has there been any word on any new classes being added to the game? Right now it is feeling like Dragon Knights have a monopoly on tanking, Templars have a monopoly on healing, and everyone can fill a DPS slot (though I do intend on trying to tank and heal with my Sorcerer as ell on occasion). With that kind of setup, it feels like PvE and even PvP would get kinda stale after awhile as far as group comps are concerned.

I have not heard of any new classes on the horizon. Honestly I would like to see Spell and Jewel craft I think those would open up builds a ridiculous amount.

• cbaudersub17_ESO
    cbaudersub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, you guys have been extremely helpful. On a side note, since you guys have been around much longer than I have and have maybe heard something, has there been any word on any new classes being added to the game? Right now it is feeling like Dragon Knights have a monopoly on tanking, Templars have a monopoly on healing, and everyone can fill a DPS slot (though I do intend on trying to tank and heal with my Sorcerer as ell on occasion). With that kind of setup, it feels like PvE and even PvP would get kinda stale after awhile as far as group comps are concerned.

The monopoly by any class toward a particular role is only created by preconception and ignorance. The same job can get done by any class; however, the way there may be a little different.
  • Ajaxduo
    Ajaxduo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More max magicka, magicka regen, ultimate cost reduction (good for warhorn!), Twilight Matriarch for burst heals. So yes you can, any class can heal. People are just hung up over Templar because of their ability to grant stamina to the group, which imo is silly as I never have stamina issues on my DD's and none use stamina recovery/cost reduction gear. Only place where Templar's should default over other healers is in veteran trials.
    - - -
    GM of Verum Aeternus, PC EU
    - - -
  • jonzhao68
    jonzhao68
    ✭✭
    Ajaxduo wrote: »
    More max magicka, magicka regen, ultimate cost reduction (good for warhorn!), Twilight Matriarch for burst heals. So yes you can, any class can heal. People are just hung up over Templar because of their ability to grant stamina to the group, which imo is silly as I never have stamina issues on my DD's and none use stamina recovery/cost reduction gear. Only place where Templar's should default over other healers is in veteran trials.

I've heard this war horn mentioned a few times, but what is it? I haven't seen war horn available as a weapon at my level. Is it a skill, or is there some reason I haven't the weapon or skill line for it yet?
  • Akrimus
    Akrimus
    ✭✭
    Sorc-healer is viable, true. Best option for magicka party tho, meh for stamina. If to speak about PvP sorc is better healer than templar because mobility and you dont' even care about stamina of people around. Also you have decent offencive and controlling skills (say hello to my little Overload/Nagate). Yeah, sorc healer-controller/buffer is very fun, especially in PVP.
    PC EU DC Akrimus (Sorcerer) Daggerfall Bandits
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I've heard this war horn mentioned a few times, but what is it? I haven't seen war horn available as a weapon at my level. Is it a skill, or is there some reason I haven't the weapon or skill line for it yet?

War Horn is the ultimate in the Assault skill line. You only receive that skill line upon entering Cyrodiil and progress is based on your Alliance Point gain. Those are obtained by defeating other players in PvP areas and completing various PvP quests and objectives, for example resource and keep capture or defense. Usually it's slotted by healer and/or tank, because DDs have more spell/weapon damage and their ultimates do more damage as a result.
    Edited by Asardes on October 31, 2016 4:29PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • SolarCat02
    SolarCat02
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a skill, one of the ultimates from the PvP skill lines. Typically in Trials all the tanks and healers will be running it, as it gives a giant boost to DPS in that large a group.
    Why be normal when you can be better?

Elissandra Ravenwing, Magicka Dragonknight Healer
    Lady Kalila, Stamina Templar DPS
    Stands-in-Danger, Nightblade Saptank
    Zalarah, Stamina Dragonknight DPS
  • Totalitarian
    Totalitarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Sorc's ability to put out HPS will be nearly equal to that of a Templar. Also, the healer Sorc can drop Liquid Lightning for a really strong AOE. But other than that, they start to become awkward to DPS while healing with.

Sorcerers lack spammables, unlike Templars/Nightblades, so doing a decent off-dps of dropping DOTs, then spamming one spell is not going to work all that well.

Of course, as mentioned, sorcerers cannot sustain stamina, but chances are that your group will be fine in dungeons, and as mentioned, the Master Restoration Staff will work wonders.

In short, for dungeons a sorcerer healer will work, but the biggest trouble you will run into is finding a good way to do consistent off-dps due to sorcerers having an inherently awkward skillset.
    PC NA CP 531+
    Aedric Fury Sits Around Doing Nothing
    Sola Auroron Magicka Templar
    Lunaria Chimeri Magicka Dragonknight
    The Chosen of the Storm Stamina Sorcerer
    Ward-Scales Magicka Nightblade
    Sanctius Luxen Stamina Templar
    Nerwaye Auroron Magicka Sorcerer
    Warden Vyrkyl Stamina Dragonknight
    The Ninth Adventurer Stamina Nightblade
    Magna-Sola Magicka Templar
    The Celestial Lady Magicka Templar
    Read their adventures!
    The Celestial Lady
  • jonzhao68
    jonzhao68
    ✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »

War Horn is the ultimate in the Assault skill line. You only receive that skill line upon entering Cyrodiil and progress is based on your Alliance Point gain. Those are obtained by defeating other players in PvP areas and completing various PvP quests and objectives, for example resource and keep capture or defense. Usually it's slotted by healer and/or tank, because DDs have more spell/weapon damage and their ultimates do more damage as a result.

Gotcha, thanks again for all the help guys.
  • Cryptical
    Cryptical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snit wrote: »
    You can keep the group alive, but the Templar's ability to maintain stamina is a really big deal. I say this as someone who used to run a sorc healer, and now runs a stamsorc DPS. I now know what the fuss about Templars is all about ;)

You can address this via itemization, though. You'll need a Master's Restoration Staff. So find a group and get to farming!

So the general vibe I'm getting here is that it would be possible to put out healing somewhat on par to that of a Templar, but the Sorcerer cannot maintain the group's Stamina needs? This is a bit of a new concept for me since healing on other games so far for me has been about maintaining the group's health.

So the Templar not only restores the group's health, but their Stamina (and I'm guessing Magika as well?) too? So though the Sorcerer could possibly maintain the group's health, their lack of ability to maintain the group's stamina is a deal-breaker for most groups?

yeah, as a Templar I keep the group healthy. I also buff their stamina and magica by using radiant aura, a morph of restoring aura, for their regen. For certain tanks that use a block build, I throw shards so they can focus on the taunt and positioning. Then sorcs and I both use healing springs - for me it's for the purpose of supporting those dps that are murdering the archers or ranged adds that aren't cooperating with us, because springs really isn't that much of a heal for not that much of a duration.

Breath of life.... Sometimes the boss just gets lucky and stuns or knocks down somebody and goes all Negan on them. Yesterday I was crit-healing BoL for 20,000 16,000 21,000 when the dreugh king got lucky like that on the tank. Sorc can be a viable healer, but the trend for more more more damage means when the crap hits the fan like that, when the coin flip just doesn't smile on you, sorc isn't going to be able to pump out 57,000-plus health in 2 seconds like a modestly geared Templar.

I'd like to see more sorc healers. I don't think the current trend of the game, as well as people's push to min max, makes that a likely thing.
    Xbox NA
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No shards.... no repentance.... no bueno. Sure a sorc can heal but that is only part of the benefit of templars.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • cpuScientist
    cpuScientist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is the master resto and the new monster set to help with stamina sustain, but a Templar can equip those and be even better.

For vet dungeons and normal trials, it really doesn't matter. For vet trials it's fine just not ideal, what with nova and major mending and shards and repentance. Still doable especially if there are not many Stam guys and the tank is good at sustain, and even then it's definitely doable and I know a fantastic one.

The problem is there is no benefit to using any other class as heals. A templar will out DPS the other healers with Jesus beam and shards. Give Stam back novas everything. And I find it silly, it's a leftover from when ZOS wanted the classes to fall deeply in the roles and forgot to update other classes heals.
  • Fallen_Ray
    Fallen_Ray
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Non-Templar healer is fake healer period

Bigot alert!!!
    Edited by Fallen_Ray on October 31, 2016 5:26PM
    "Dear brother, I do not spread rumors, I create them"- Lucien Lachance
  • cpuScientist
    cpuScientist
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The monopoly by any class toward a particular role is only created by preconception and ignorance. The same job can get done by any class; however, the way there may be a little different.

What will a Sorc do to help a tank on axes in VHMAA, when he is out of steam and those axes are beating on them? There is a monopoly in this game when it comes to tanking and healing, and it needs to be FIXED not ignored or just pretending like it doesn't exist. Templars are the best healers bar none and DK the best tank. Everything else is just a player trying to be special or unique which is fine and damdy, BUT the win will always be in spite of them being different not because of them...
  • cbaudersub17_ESO
    cbaudersub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭

What will a Sorc do to help a tank on axes in VHMAA, when he is out of steam and those axes are beating on them? There is a monopoly in this game when it comes to tanking and healing, and it needs to be FIXED not ignored or just pretending like it doesn't exist. Templars are the best healers bar none and DK the best tank. Everything else is just a player trying to be special or unique which is fine and damdy, BUT the win will always be in spite of them being different not because of them...

No action by the other 10 people in this group or does what they offer just not matter?

Adding emphasis to an opinion is STILL an opinion. Defining 'best' is not that much different than proving to someone else that you are not 'crazy'.

'We won in spite of you' must create quite the warm, comfy team atmosphere.
    Edited by cbaudersub17_ESO on October 31, 2016 7:29PM