The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Always asked for ACCES CODE?

Remmo
Remmo
✭✭
Hello there,
When I log in to my account, even though I always use the same computer and IP address, I get asked to enter an access code?
Security is always welcome, but is there another reason this is happening?
Once again, I amusing the same computer and IP provider which the message is flagging up as the cause.
  • ZOS_DaryaK
    ZOS_DaryaK
    admin
    This typically occurs because an Internet Service Provider (ISP) has assigned a dynamic IP address which can change each time you try to connect to the Internet. When you are assigned a dynamic IP address, even if you are permanently connected (always-on), some ISPs/Internet Service Providers can change IP addresses every 24 hours.

You can assign a static IP to your computer, please contact your ISP for assistance with doing that.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Tyrusaran
    Tyrusaran
    ✭✭
    ZOS_DaryaK wrote: »
    This typically occurs because an Internet Service Provider (ISP) has assigned a dynamic IP address which can change each time you try to connect to the Internet. When you are assigned a dynamic IP address, even if you are permanently connected (always-on), some ISPs/Internet Service Providers can change IP addresses every 24 hours.

You can assign a static IP to your computer, please contact your ISP for assistance with doing that.

Sure and why would i give anyone my personal home address? Static IP means anyone on the net can find what your physical address is.
    Dynamic IP is a security measure, any company that asks you to disable that is up to something shady.

Why don't you like Blizzard use a dynamic authentication system instead?

Baring that, give us the option to stop getting these messages and having to tab out to get into our email and look them up.
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZOS_DaryaK, I really doubt the issue is dynamic IP. Recently I traveled from US to Germany and logged into ESO from the hotel's wi-fi. I did not get challenged for an access code. Since I connected with an IP I had never used before why didn't it require a code? I think there is something not quite right in the setup.
  • ZOS_CoriJ
    ZOS_CoriJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZOS_DaryaK, I really doubt the issue is dynamic IP. Recently I traveled from US to Germany and logged into ESO from the hotel's wi-fi. I did not get challenged for an access code. Since I connected with an IP I had never used before why didn't it require a code? I think there is something not quite right in the setup.
    That's actually unusual, to be honest. Typically you will get at least one access code ask if you change IPs or get a new computer. The only other time it asks "frequently" though is if you have your computer marked as "untrusted" in your game login (the lock icon instead of the house icon)
    Static IP means anyone on the net can find what your physical address is.
    Dynamic IP is a security measure, any company that asks you to disable that is up to something shady.
    It is understandable if this is a necessary method of security for you. There is nothing wrong with using a dynamic IP. However, this will mean that you will have to continue to verify your access code. This is, likewise, a security measure and not one that we are looking to change.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site

No longer available to take PMs or messages: Please defer to another Moderator
    Staff Post