Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Literally feel like giving up Need some help

GEARHEAD427350
GEARHEAD427350
Soul Shriven
I'm noobing it hardcore. Am new to the game, only level 15 and after reading through so many different forums I just feel as if I'll never figure out all there is to know. Reading some of the posts is like literally trying to read another language. I feel like I'm missing out on pretty much everything the eso has to offer. In need of some serious help and advice. Anyone willing to help me out?
Edited by GEARHEAD427350 on October 28, 2016 3:06AM
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello.

Question 1. - Class?
    Question 2. - How long have you been playing for? (So I don't overload you further)
    Question 3. - What are you trying to achieve understanding your class or obtaining levels, gear etc.

Let me know.
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion
    1600+ vMA runs and counting
    Magicka Sorc - Flawless - 544k Score
    Stam Sorc - Flawless - 559k Score
    Stam DK - FLAWLESS 512k Score
    Stam NB - 492k Score - Work in progress
    Magicka Temp - 482k Score

The Ozmeric Dominion (Oceanic) Australian Based Guild

vMA "guru" - VHRC - vSO - vSOHM - vDSA - vAA - vMOL
    The Maelstrom BIBLE for beginners/Flawless Achieve Below
    https://www.twitch.tv/lukumms/v/111730700
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181142505

You have vMA questions? Want a guide? Helping hand? PM me!

Returns after 6 months back to back flawless
    https://go.twitch.tv/videos/180384648

• AtraisMachina
    AtraisMachina
    ✭✭✭
    I was just making this point to a friend the other day. Imagining what it would be like to start right now.

Id say to start off if you dont know what your end game goal is then just play quests and normal dungeons and test out pvp.

Pvp is very difficult to enjoy as a new player but you might like it anyways.

Once you know what you like doing look up and build for your class on you tube or tamrielfoundry.com and start trying to copy it adjusting as you like.

Idk what else to say beside lmk if you have any questions

• Stoopid_Nwah
    Stoopid_Nwah
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're on Xbox you can add me.

Otherwise the basics would be to just enjoy the quests and storyline, save up gold for a horse (if you already have one try to remember to feed it by visiting the stable master and purchasing a riding upgrade each day, you can get stamina, speed, or a bag upgrade), pick up and save mats especially any alchemy plants/flowers/mushrooms you find, work on crafting as you level up (in the first big town you visit there will be npcs you can talk to to get the entry level quest for each of the crafts, check the crafting area, mages guild area and fighters guild area).

There really isn't any way you can do something wrong if that makes sense. Even if you build something that's not all that viable in the end it's alright because you can always change it up later on, so don't worry too much about that.
  • GEARHEAD427350
    GEARHEAD427350
    Soul Shriven
    @Lukums1 DragonKnight. I haven't been playing very long at all, just started around the beginning of September. I would like to know the basics I suppose about my class and build, obtaining levels as well. I was just reading about someone working on their build and was completely lost. I would also like to know about min/max playing because I read a thread on that and was lost. Just from what I've been reading I feel like I will never understand just from doing the storyline missions. I play on Xbox as well
    Edited by GEARHEAD427350 on October 28, 2016 3:35AM
  • GEARHEAD427350
    GEARHEAD427350
    Soul Shriven

Thank you so much. So far I've just been enjoying playing the storyline and went to look something simple up and then start reading about so much I have no clue on and then just feel like if I just keep on playing will I ever be able to figure this out? So I decided to woman up and just ask someone for help. I'm going to have to do some research about my class and my build because that's something I really had no idea about until today
    Edited by GEARHEAD427350 on October 28, 2016 3:47AM
  • Prabooo
    Prabooo
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are 3 attributes: Health (maxed for tanking), Stamina (maxed for melee DPS) and Magicka (maxed for magicka/elemental DPS or healing builds). The DK performs very well as a Damage Dealer and in the tankig department in my opinion.

Each class has a skill line and ultimate. For the DK most skills are magicka based, with some important exceptions.

My advice is level your character focused in the role you prefer the most. As you gain experience you will figure out all the mechanisms. You don 't need min/max for now.
  • GEARHEAD427350
    GEARHEAD427350
    Soul Shriven
    So how will I know what those important exceptions are? Just by research and playing? Is my skill line and ultimate just completely up to me or will I need to pick according to which role I prefer
  • Stoopid_Nwah
    Stoopid_Nwah
    ✭✭✭✭

Otherwise the basics would be to just enjoy the quests and storyline, save up gold for a horse (if you already have one try to remember to feed it by visiting the stable master and purchasing a riding upgrade each day, you can get stamina, speed, or a bag upgrade), pick up and save mats especially any alchemy plants/flowers/mushrooms you find, work on crafting as you level up (in the first big town you visit there will be npcs you can talk to to get the entry level quest for each of the crafts, check the crafting area, mages guild area and fighters guild area).

There really isn't any way you can do something wrong if that makes sense. Even if you build something that's not all that viable in the end it's alright because you can always change it up later on, so don't worry too much about that.

Thank you so much. So far I've just been enjoying playing the storyline and went to look something simple up and then start reading about so much I have no clue on and then just feel like if I just keep on playing will I ever be able to figure this out? So I decided to woman up and just ask someone for help. I'm going to have to do some research about my class and my build because that's something I really had no idea about until today
    Haha yes it is a lot to take in, but you'll get there! I can break down big chunks below so fair warning-it will be long.

PVE (player vs. environment):
    • Delves: These are the torches on your map. There is always one skyshard in them and a boss. Once you kill the boss, the torch on your map will turn from black to white meaning you completed it. Some of them have NPCs that give quests outside, and some have journals or belongings inside that start a quest.
    • Public Dungeons: There is one per zone symbolized by a cave on your map. These can be pretty hard to complete without other players when you're first starting out as they have a few bosses in, quests, and a group event. The group event is sort of like a secret event that you'll stumble upon and when completed you get a skill point.
    • Mages guild: Has its own storyline which you definitely should work through as you level up. Additionally, collecting the blue/purple books throughout Tamriel is the way to level this skill line. It's a long and painful grind, but unlocks one of the best magicka ultimates in the game.
    • Fighters guild: Play through this as well. To level the fighters guild you just kill daedra and other undead.
    • Undaunted: Don't worry too much about this one yet. When you hit level 45 you'll get an envelope in your mail system that invites you to become undaunted. This gives you the pledges people talk about to get keys. In short, they are meant to be 4-player dungeon quests with varying difficulties in bosses. Going through them and completing the quest gives a skill point. When you hit "vet" or "CP (Champion Point) level" after 50, you'll get to do the dungeons in vet mode. For some dungeons this is a continuation of the quest from the normal mode, other times it's just the dungeon amped up with harder hitting mobs with higher health. These vet dungeons are also where you get monster set drops, which have no need to worry about right now, but it is probably a large source of confusing topics you read on here lol.

PVP (player vs. player):
    You can go to Cyrodiil at level 10 where you fight for your alliance against the other two alliances. Do the tutorial quest! It will show you how to use siege to break down enemy keeps. In Cyrodiil, as a whole your alliance should be taking keeps (basically castles) by breaking down the outer and inner walls to capture the flags inside. This gives everyone there on your alliance something called alliance points. Alliance points are the currency of PVP. They can be spent on gear, potions, food, and siege equipment. When you first start out with PVP try to join a larger, friendly group in the non-vet Blackwater Blade campaign. Don't worry too much if you die a bunch, everyone does!

Crafting:
    Work on levelling each of these. If you haven't picked up the associated starter quests, do so now. Then as you pick up raw materials, they can all be used to do crafting daily writs (the things on the bulletin boards in towns) or to craft your own gear. Additionally, you may have noticed some gear you pick up has a trait on it such as Sharpened, Prosperous, Sturdy, etc...These traits can be researched by getting an item with that trait and researching it (this destroys the item). For example, if you want to research a Sturdy Light Armour Sash, you would need to have one in your inventory, go to a crafting clothing station, scroll down to research, light armour, sash, sturdy. It will say researchable. You can click it and the item in your inventory should pop up. When you click on your item it will say researching it means it will be destroyed, are you sure? You say yes and it will start researching.

As you research more and more traits for items, you can craft different sets (some of the "better" sets require 9 traits researched per item to craft it). Researching the first trait on an item only takes a couple hours, but once you get to the final 9th trait for that item, it will take a month. It's best to start the research process early for this reason lol. You can research each item for each weight of armour and each weapon..

For alchemy and provisioning, you just craft food/potions to level it up. It's quite quick. Enchanting on the other hand requires deconstruction of glyphs (the things that say petty glyph of shock, etc...). This process takes super long, but if you know a master enchanter friend they'll usually be happy to make a bunch of glyphs for you to deconstruct and help in your leveling up process.

Your specific character:
    I'm not sure which class you're playing, but in general, just work on levelling up all of the different skill and armour lines. If you find you're struggling, I'd be happy to recommend some more specifics for your build. Once you start getting up in the 40's, I would consider researching some builds/watching videos to get an idea of what playstyle you'd like to try out.
  • GEARHEAD427350
    GEARHEAD427350
    Soul Shriven

Haha yes it is a lot to take in, but you'll get there! I can break down big chunks below so fair warning-it will be long.

• Delves: These are the torches on your map. There is always one skyshard in them and a boss. Once you kill the boss, the torch on your map will turn from black to white meaning you completed it. Some of them have NPCs that give quests outside, and some have journals or belongings inside that start a quest.
    • Public Dungeons: There is one per zone symbolized by a cave on your map. These can be pretty hard to complete without other players when you're first starting out as they have a few bosses in, quests, and a group event. The group event is sort of like a secret event that you'll stumble upon and when completed you get a skill point.
    • Mages guild: Has its own storyline which you definitely should work through as you level up. Additionally, collecting the blue/purple books throughout Tamriel is the way to level this skill line. It's a long and painful grind, but unlocks one of the best magicka ultimates in the game.
    • Fighters guild: Play through this as well. To level the fighters guild you just kill daedra and other undead.
    • Undaunted: Don't worry too much about this one yet. When you hit level 45 you'll get an envelope in your mail system that invites you to become undaunted. This gives you the pledges people talk about to get keys. In short, they are meant to be 4-player dungeon quests with varying difficulties in bosses. Going through them and completing the quest gives a skill point. When you hit "vet" or "CP (Champion Point) level" after 50, you'll get to do the dungeons in vet mode. For some dungeons this is a continuation of the quest from the normal mode, other times it's just the dungeon amped up with harder hitting mobs with higher health. These vet dungeons are also where you get monster set drops, which have no need to worry about right now, but it is probably a large source of confusing topics you read on here lol.

PVP (player vs. player):
    You can go to Cyrodiil at level 10 where you fight for your alliance against the other two alliances. Do the tutorial quest! It will show you how to use siege to break down enemy keeps. In Cyrodiil, as a whole your alliance should be taking keeps (basically castles) by breaking down the outer and inner walls to capture the flags inside. This gives everyone there on your alliance something called alliance points. Alliance points are the currency of PVP. They can be spent on gear, potions, food, and siege equipment. When you first start out with PVP try to join a larger, friendly group in the non-vet Blackwater Blade campaign. Don't worry too much if you die a bunch, everyone does!

Crafting:
    Work on levelling each of these. If you haven't picked up the associated starter quests, do so now. Then as you pick up raw materials, they can all be used to do crafting daily writs (the things on the bulletin boards in towns) or to craft your own gear. Additionally, you may have noticed some gear you pick up has a trait on it such as Sharpened, Prosperous, Sturdy, etc...These traits can be researched by getting an item with that trait and researching it (this destroys the item). For example, if you want to research a Sturdy Light Armour Sash, you would need to have one in your inventory, go to a crafting clothing station, scroll down to research, light armour, sash, sturdy. It will say researchable. You can click it and the item in your inventory should pop up. When you click on your item it will say researching it means it will be destroyed, are you sure? You say yes and it will start researching.

As you research more and more traits for items, you can craft different sets (some of the "better" sets require 9 traits researched per item to craft it). Researching the first trait on an item only takes a couple hours, but once you get to the final 9th trait for that item, it will take a month. It's best to start the research process early for this reason lol. You can research each item for each weight of armour and each weapon..

For alchemy and provisioning, you just craft food/potions to level it up. It's quite quick. Enchanting on the other hand requires deconstruction of glyphs (the things that say petty glyph of shock, etc...). This process takes super long, but if you know a master enchanter friend they'll usually be happy to make a bunch of glyphs for you to deconstruct and help in your leveling up process.

Your specific character:
    I'm not sure which class you're playing, but in general, just work on levelling up all of the different skill and armour lines. If you find you're struggling, I'd be happy to recommend some more specifics for your build. Once you start getting up in the 40's, I would consider researching some builds/watching videos to get an idea of what playstyle you'd like to try out.

You have literally just made my day! Thank you so so so much. You have no idea how much you have helped me by just explaining small things like you did. Do you mind to give me your GT so that I can add you. Maybe one day if I ever figure out what on earth I'm doing I'll be able to help you somehow :blush:
    Edited by GEARHEAD427350 on October 28, 2016 4:14AM
  • Stoopid_Nwah
    Stoopid_Nwah
    ✭✭✭✭

PVP (player vs. player):

Crafting:

Your specific character:

You have literally just made my day! Thank you so so so much. You have no idea how much you have helped me by just explaining small things like you did. Do you mind to give me your GT so that I can add you. Maybe one day if I ever figure out what on earth I'm doing I'll be able to help you somehow :blush:
    You're very welcome! My gt is Stoopid Nwah and while I'm not on nearly as much as I used to be, if you see me online and have questions or need help with a quest or something don't hesitate to ask!
  • dpencil
    dpencil
    ✭✭✭✭
    A few other points to consider:
    - You can spend some gold to refund your attribute points, skill points, or just your skill morphs at shrines in each alliance's capitol city (Elden Root, Wayrest, and Mournhold). So don't worry too much about spending skill points in the wrong places. Experiment with new skills and morphs. You can always go a different route with your points later.
    - Guild traders are at most major cities. The capitol cities usually have pretty good ones. This can be a good way to get things that you'd otherwise need to hunt for, like a specific piece of gear or crafting materials.
    - Buy a horse as soon as you can. The cheap horse is all you need. Talk to the stablemate every day to buy a riding lesson. First do all the speed lessons, then storage, then stamina.
    - Join some guilds. You can be in 5. Just say you're loojing to join a guild in zone chat (type /z) and chances are you'll get an invite to one. Guild chat is a great place to ask questions and you can sell stuff on the guild's trader.
    - Practice switching between your primary and secondary weapons. You'll want to be able to utilize all the skills on both ability bars in combat.
    - There are several categories of skills to be aware of which you will want to have on your bars: Healing skills, Buffing skills that make you stronger (remember named buffs like Major Resolve don't stack), DeBuffing skill that make your target weaker, Damage over time skills (DOTS for short), Area of Effect skills (AOE for short), Execute skills that do lots of damage when a target has low health, and straight up single target damage skills. Some skills will do several of these at once, like a DOT that heals you. You'll want to make sure you have some way to heal yourself, and focus on AOEs and DOTs for killing normal mobs. You just need one spamable regular damage skill, the rest should be used once and then not used again until they're effect expires.
    - Gear is imporant. Getting a couple gear sets with nice 5-price bonuses will help, but you'll want to switch to higher level versions every 10 levels or so. Divines trait on gear and Sharpened on weapons is usually the best. Use the Thief mundus stone.
    - Use blue quality food all the time to increase your health and main resource. You can buy it from guild traders or learn to make it yourself.
    - Repair your gear whenever it breaks. Merchants can do this for you, or you can buy repair kits from guild traders, sometimes cheaper than paying a merchant. Recharge weapon enchantments with soul gems.
    - When you are in a guild, you can travel to any player in the guild from the guild roster. This is a great way to get to a wayshrine without paying for it or walking. Finish a quest and need to get back to town to sell stuff? Just go to the guild roster and port out. Even if you don't end up at a town, you'll be right at a wayshrine and can then go exactly where you want.

That's all the tips I can think of at the moment.
  • BlanketFort
    BlanketFort
    ✭✭✭✭
    I made the mistake of having gone to forums when I first played. I was basically just looking up basic tips and guides and it got complicated real fast, I ended up on the build guides and felt utterly, and completely lost.

I tried to catch up but it felt really demotivating. I felt ignorant and that everything I was doing was wrong.

My advice? Take a step back, take a deep breath, and just do as you please. Min/maxing isn't important, yet, at your level. Explore the game and its mechanics at your own pace. Make mistakes, waste a ton of gold on stuff you don't need, level the wrong weapon and skill lines, sell unwanted gear instead of deconstructing...etc. Play how you want to and get comfortable with the game and its oddities . Later on you will notice that some things are perhaps not as effective and then you start to tweak Little by little. By then, you will have already figured out most of the terminology and what those guides are all saying.

As others have posted above, researching traits from crafting skills can be very helpful if done early on. Nothing more frustrating than wanting to build your set-up and realising you didn't have enough traits researched for a crafted gear that you may need. But even then, don't rush on it. Don't pressure yourself. A couple of traits researched here and there is enough until you yourself see the importance of it. Otherwise, (in my past experience, anyway) you're just doing what everyone else is telling you to do and it doesn't really feel like it's "you" playing.

It's okay to struggle. It doesn't make you a bad player if you don't understand everything right away. It's a lot to take in and that is normal. You'll eventually get the hang of it and then you'll laugh at how easy and simple it all is ;)

I hope you don't let all that data-overload completely discourage you from playing a great game.

[edit]: noticed an unnecessary censor, I absolutely meant nothing bad by it. :smile:
    Edited by BlanketFort on October 31, 2016 7:28AM
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @GEARHEAD427350 - Great to see that you are so keen to learn and find out more at lvl15,

I was a total noob, even more than you when i started and only when i got to VET levels then did i realize i needed help,
    Well done for coming to the forums,

The guys on these forums are all guru's in the game and will give you the best advice,

only advice i can add:

Enjoy the game,
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• Andohir
    Andohir
    ✭✭✭
    Few points regarding combat:

* You can block more attacks than just the yellow glowing ones. E.g. many special attacks that'd knock you down or stupefy you can be blocked to avoid status effects (like stampede attacks some NPCs like Clannfears or S&B Mobs use or stupefying attacks from Beholders).
    * When you wait too long to block or interrupt, the attack will land despite you started blocking/interrupting while it was still glowing yellow/red.
    * Some mobs seem to be too small to interrupt them successfully, like e.g. spiders when they start to regen hp. At least I managed to interrupt them only when the difference in altitude was enough to actually hit them and not the air.
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So how will I know what those important exceptions are? Just by research and playing? Is my skill line and ultimate just completely up to me or will I need to pick according to which role I prefer

Everyone is different.
    Everyone will want to play in their own style.
    Some combinations you want to use will work.....and some will not.
    You cant know that without testing everything to see what works for you !
    ...and by works I mean....viable..but unique to you.

There is 1000s of ways to build your character.
    Just explore and experiment (like everyone else).
    It will take you a long time (like everyone else).
    Thats OK. Enjoy the journey ;)
    Many people will answer your questions in or out of game whenever they pop up.

If you come across an expert, they will have optimised and stacked every buff possible in the game to perfect their build.
    You wont even be aware of what buffs are available nor where to get them.
    This is the price of the buff stacking system that exists within ESO and the non-disclosure by ZOS on how they all interact.
    You can go on a fast learning curve and crash and burn like you are doing or
    you can just go with the flow and take it in one piece at a time.

There are those of us here that are trying to ensure the game is new player friendly.
    Where you can actually start the game and feel included rather than excluded from other players and content.
    Many resist this change to ensure a position of dominance...regardless of skill.
    Edited by Rune_Relic on October 28, 2016 1:26PM
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • Pallio
    Pallio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Google Deltia gaming, in depth information starting out and end game.. was very helpful in the beginning and remains to be after each patch.
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Above all else take your time, this game is a marathon, not a sprint, it will take a long time to learn it's every nook and cranny, assuming that's even possible. Trust me when I say that anyone who says they know it all is probably talking rubbish and I've been at since launch. It's like being at an all you can eat buffet, don't try and stuff it all down in one go, pace thy self :)
  • Ardelli
    Ardelli
    Great thread. My highest char is 49lvl and I finished main story but im still pretty clueless about the game.. :D But I dont mind, been enjoying every minute of it (almost). Got much new info here, thanks to everyone!
  • the_man_of_steal
    the_man_of_steal
    ✭✭✭
    I'm noobing it hardcore. Am new to the game, only level 15 and after reading through so many different forums I just feel as if I'll never figure out all there is to know. Reading some of the posts is like literally trying to read another language. I feel like I'm missing out on pretty much everything the eso has to offer. In need of some serious help and advice. Anyone willing to help me out?

Hey don't worry we are here to help! It is overwhelming in the beginning but the game is totally worth spending time on and reading the forums daily helps greatly! My best advise (and this is because I didn't realize it at the time and made this mistake) was that the xp you get from the side quests are really insignificant. You get way more XP from doing the MAIN storyline, the mage's and fighter's guild questlines, and dolmens/dungeons. Also if you are an ESO plus member (I highly recommend it for inventory space purposes) there are so many daily quests most DLCs give you (Orsinium dailies, Gold Coast Dailies) and they might give you rare motifs.

I am on PS4 so if you'd like add me and put (forums) in the message!

Cheers and welcome!
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In addition to all the "minmaxing" (choosing sets, skills, attributes and so on to perform a given role in the best possible way), ESO has the big advantage of being very newbie friendly.

E.g. I spent the first month and a half in the game completely ignoring the multiplayer and minmaxing aspects, and just played the solo content (main quest, faction quests, fighters/mages guild quests, the occasional delve), much as if ESO was just another single player Elder Scrolls title. It took quite a while before I found out that there's such a thing as "set items". :) I just used whatever loot I found from mob fights, crafted the occasional piece I could not find, and it worked really well, just like in Oblivion or Skyrim.

It's very enjoyable, many quest stories are really good, and that solo content is forgiving enough so you can get away with little skill requirements.

Of course this does not (and you could consider this to be an issue) really prepare you for actual group content, when a better-tuned build and personal skills are required.

So if you like, first enjoy the solo content before weighing down yourself with all that minmaxing stuff. ;) Once the time comes that you wish to do more, it's a good idea to join a newbie-friendly guild, get on their Teamspeak server and chat away! Go play with them, run through delves and public dungeons, and do your first 4-man dungeons with them. You'll be surprised how much you can learn that way - in addition to reading threads on a forum.

And don't worry about making wrong decisions about what skills/morphs to get or how to spend your attribute points at this time. Everything about your character - except for their class - can be changed later. You can respec your attributes and skills, change gear, redistribute champion points (once you reach that point), even change your race if you pay some crowns.
    Edited by Loc2262 on October 30, 2016 2:34AM
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • CMFan1966
    CMFan1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi GEARHEAD427350! I'm a noob too! I've had a lot of the same questions and frustrations as you. I've been asked to duel on multiple occasions. I accepted once and was completely slaughtered. I've been asked to group up, but I don't know how to politely say no, that they don't want me in their group. Since my main strategy is to beat the enemy with my flaming iron maul until it's dead, I doubt I'm an asset to any group. ;) I don't know how or if I should interact with my fellow players because I don't want to sound like a complete idiot when I tell them I don't understand their internet shorthand or abbreviations. Having said all of that, I am having a blast playing and I don't think there is a way to do it wrong. And if I don't like the direction my character is going, I can make another one.
  • AlexDaedric
    CMFan1966 wrote: »

Hi GEARHEAD427350! I'm a noob too! I've had a lot of the same questions and frustrations as you. I've been asked to duel on multiple occasions. I accepted once and was completely slaughtered. I've been asked to group up, but I don't know how to politely say no, that they don't want me in their group. Since my main strategy is to beat the enemy with my flaming iron maul until it's dead, I doubt I'm an asset to any group. ;) I don't know how or if I should interact with my fellow players because I don't want to sound like a complete idiot when I tell them I don't understand their internet shorthand or abbreviations. Having said all of that, I am having a blast playing and I don't think there is a way to do it wrong. And if I don't like the direction my character is going, I can make another one.

I feel you guys, I'm also Noobing up Tamriel, I think MMO's in general can feel like unfamiliar and treacherous waters for those who haven't been playing them steadily over the years, and every now and then an egocentric Veteran can put you down for not taking to the mechanics like a pro instantly.

However, as you can see from the comments above, for every self-centred player, you'll find there's 100 decent folk who either share your situation or are more than willing to help you out.

I don't know if I'm developing my character ''Efficiently'' or equipping him appropriately, but I honestly don't care, he's my character, and I'll do as I wish with him, I purchase abilities I think are cool and suit my character, and I dress him in clothing that makes him look fabulous.

Your character is Unique to you, they can tell me to Git Gud, but I'd rather have a flawed character that I put my love into, than the same character everyone else has.
  • Fikkan
    Fikkan
    ✭✭

One thing to keep in mind, in a stress relieving kinda way, is that you can change your build. You're not stuck with the choices you make early on.

I'm not sure how it's done, because I'm a newb too and haven't needed to do that, yet, but I've read something somewhere that mentioned it.

So, as a grain o' salt suggestion from a clueless newb, I'd say try everything you can on your char until you get a real good feel for the options in skills and suchlike, then go from there.
    If at first you don't succeed, LFG.
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fikkan wrote: »

One thing to keep in mind, in a stress relieving kinda way, is that you can change your build. You're not stuck with the choices you make early on.

I'm not sure how it's done, because I'm a newb too and haven't needed to do that, yet, but I've read something somewhere that mentioned it.

So, as a grain o' salt suggestion from a clueless newb, I'd say try everything you can on your char until you get a real good feel for the options in skills and suchlike, then go from there.

There are 3 faction with 5 zones each.
    The 2nd zone of each faction has the capital city.
    The capital cities have a respec shrine for attribute and skill point reset....at a cost
    Your champion points can be reset at any time...at a cost.

So yes its no biggy if you arent happy about the choices you have made and the way skills/attributes are working.
    It pays to make lots of mistakes and then reset everything at once though.
    Edited by Rune_Relic on October 30, 2016 9:40PM
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • SolarCat02
    SolarCat02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing in ESO is permanent, except your class (Dragonknight/Templar/Nightblade/Sorcerer). If you want to try a different class you will just need to start a new character. For anything else, you can edit your current character (or start a new one if you really want to). So do not be afraid to make mistakes!

Dragonknights are my favorite class. In my opinion they are a little bit tougher to play in the beginning, but once you unlock some of the higher level skills they can do anything they want in the game (my opinion). There are no bad skills, so try all the ones that sound interesting and pick what works best for you. Some skills are better for certain situations (Dragon Blood is bad in PvP but good in PvE especially at lower levels, Inhale is amazing with mobs but doesn't do well with single targets, etc.) Just play, you will find your strengths and what you enjoy.

Wear at least one piece of each kind of armor (light, medium, and heavy) so you level all three. Depending on your intended course of action at endgame, certain armors are better than others for different things. Leveling all three now means you keep all your options open! Chest has the highest armor value, followed by head and legs, so heavy armor gives you the best armor boost on these pieces.

Also when trying weapons keep your thoughts on what types you like to use. Endgame you will want to pick one category - magicka (restoration and destruction staves) or stamina (dual wield, two handed, bow, sword and shield), as hybrids don't do well anymore. You don't have to decide that now, but you will want to think about it so you aren't still wondering once you are ready for the more difficult content. (Tanks are the exception, as they are always a hybrid on some level, although they always have a preferred resource pool. Healers currently must be magicka based.)

Don't be afraid to make mistakes, don't be afraid to try things to see if they work! No mistake is ever the end of the world in this game, they are all just learning experiences.
    Why be normal when you can be better?

Elissandra Ravenwing, Magicka Dragonknight Healer
    Lady Kalila, Stamina Templar DPS
    Stands-in-Danger, Nightblade Saptank
    Zalarah, Stamina Dragonknight DPS
  • Curtdogg47
    Curtdogg47
    ✭✭✭✭
    ESO was my first MMO as well and it really took time to begin to understand everything. I struggled for months. before things started to click and make sense. It wasn't overly frustrating, and I still had fun learning the game, but it did take time. And when I came here to try and learn things I pretty much had to google stuff to understand what people were talking about, because like you said its sort of like a new language and still is sometimes!

You are a DK so I cant offer you much in the way of help for your build as I play NB. But I will say that it would be smart to look for a guild. A lot of them don't mind picking up new players and helping them out.

Last there is a lot to this game and so many ways to set up your build. As you level up maybe try different weapons. Once you get one to 50 try another and level it up. The more skills you to get to 50 the more options you will have when you reach CP160.

Mostly have fun. If you are not enjoying something change it and try something new.

• Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallio wrote: »
    Google Deltia gaming, in depth information starting out and end game.. was very helpful in the beginning and remains to be after each patch.

This^^^^^^
  • thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP, I know exactly how you feel. Was thinking that earlier today when I was playing. Pros and cons of playing a game from day one compared to starting when the game is well established.

I know I will eventually learn all the codes and abbreviations, but it is slow going. Also, a lot of the advice given is meant well, but much of it isn't really directed at true n00bs. I think it is difficult for a veteran player to truly be able to put themselves into a beginners shoes.

One example that comes to mind is what to do with all the equipment drops. It's like a mantra on the forums and in game ...Deconstruct ! Don't sell ! ... I took that advice to heart. Later I found out that you only deconstruct after researching an item. When you learn it, then you can deconstruct the left over gear.

I am up to level 23 now. Soloing all the way. I know how impatient people will be when grouping. Hell, I see zone chat looking for people but I have no idea what mobs/encounter they will be fighting, difficulty level or even where it is.

Even some of the videos people mention aren't really made for true n00bs. I can't remember the Demzel Washington movie, but he had a line in it ...'explain it to me as if i was a 5 year old'. That really applies to people brand new to the game.

I have seen some really good advice in this thread. I do know that the more you play, the more you will learn organically. I also know in a few months I will look back at my floundering around today and have a good laugh :*
    1v1 Win/Loss Record in PvP.
    1 Wins - 392 Losses (guy was AFK)