Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Has any MMO really ever balanced for PVP?

smashcats
smashcats
✭✭✭
When I think about it, the only answer I can come up with is, NO.

You want a balanced competitive pvp game? go play SC2, DOTA2.

You're all wasting a lot of time thinking they are gonna come up with some huge pvp balance patch because it's not even what the priority is and probably never will be...

Just embrace the game and theory craft, thats the beauty of a game that isn't balanced for pvp, a lot of random stuff actually works better than you think it would.

I also don't really think this game is skill based but that's just the opinion of a quake 3 duelist so maybe im old fashioned...
  • oTheTownDrunk
    Ultima Online second age.
  • BurritoESO
    BurritoESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Webkinz
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I want population balance, that is all. There is no reason for one side of the map to have a poplock and the other side of the map to have 1 bar. It is not even fun if one side of the map has 2 bars and the other side of the map has 1 bar.

I play on DC and in AS last night we has 2 bars and AD/EP had 1 bar. We had all their keeps. Another thing is, in BwB AD is exploiting Emp achievement with their population numbers. Anyone, on AD, can get Emp, and some players have it on every single character. Heck one week on AD an entire family got emp ( father, mother, and son ), that would not happen if population was balanced.

As far as other things being balanced. I think players need to learn how to play the game. We create balance. For example the other day someone said "I was fighting 2 players and they beat me because they had prox sets". These types of cries are silly. Because if it was me, and I got beat down by 2 players, I would bring back a few other players to kill them. I understand many players are better fighters, have better sets, but I am not going to complain about it. I will create balance by bringing more players. Sometimes, that is not an option because we have no players.

I think a lot of balance complaints are not really "PvP" complaints. Most the cries I hear are from duelers. They get upset because they lose a fight and come here and cry instead of updating their year old build to the new trends.

Edited by vamp_emily on October 27, 2016 2:12PM

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Pallio
    Pallio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally, pve gets nerfed due to skills exploited in pvp in perfect scenerios that don't exist in pve. For example a Templar standing in the back of a battle of 20 vs. 20 pvp, can pick off low health enemies who don't react fast enough, while healing. In a pve trial if the healers decide to focus on dps when the boss is under 10% it would be a wipe and the group would be looking for new healers.. Regardless, the pvp crowd will relentlessly whine about the Templar execute.
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Balance is not an objective that you can reach, is a never ending effor. They need to keep the game as balance as possible, while adding new features/items/etc
  • incite
    incite
    ✭✭✭✭
    It not being possible to have 100% balanced pvp doesnt mean we dont need strive to achieve it
    PC EU

no1 knows me, no1 cares about me but sshh, don't tell

• Hurika
    Hurika
    ✭✭✭✭
    DAoC balanced around PVP. Whether they did a good job or not but they did balance specifically around how PVP was going.
    Edited by Hurika on October 27, 2016 2:03PM
  • Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hurika wrote: »
    DAoC balanced around PVP. Whether they did a good job or not but they did balance specifically around how PVP was going.

This is true and the same goes for Age of Conan among other releases, I'm sure. None of them actually achieved "balance" because such a thing is largely impossible due to player inequality.
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu the Destroyer - NB
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe its a thing for MMO's to keep a stable imbalance so that pvp wont be dull. But it shouldnt be this messed up.
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • smashcats
    smashcats
    ✭✭✭
    Ankael07 wrote: »
    Maybe its a thing for MMO's to keep a stable imbalance so that pvp wont be dull. But it shouldnt be this messed up.

To be honest this is actually the kind of PVP I prefer, it reminds a lot of the old Diablo 2 days of Blood Moor PVP. I love it lol.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    GW2 has a separate balance for their structured PvP.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• smashcats
    smashcats
    ✭✭✭

That game's not dead yet? ;)
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    smashcats wrote: »

That game's not dead yet? ;)

I don't play it anymore, but I suspect that they are doing fine compared to most other MMOs.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Warhammer Online balanced well for PVP too. Its problem imho was too big a difference in power between low/high rank pvpers. Really liked how they handled tanks there.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow a list of MMO's no one knows about or ever played. Good job forum warriors. I have said this in previous posts I once polled my guild and although the sample size was n= 114 I asked them to define eso balance I received 91 different answers. If player can't balance the game not sure the developers have a prayer. Beside even when it was more balanced people still complained. Keep on.... keeping on. Fix the lag and get rid of preposterous and training in end game loot tables and I will be happy.
    Edited by DHale on October 27, 2016 3:19PM
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    DHale wrote: »
    Wow a list of MMO's no one knows about or ever played. Good job forum warriors. I have said this in previous posts I once polled my guild and although the sample size was n= 114 I asked them to define eso balance I received 91 different answers. If player can't balance the game not sure the developers have a prayer. Beside even when it was more balanced people still complained. Keep on.... keeping on. Fix the lag and get rid of preposterous and training in end game loot tables and I will be happy.

Sorry man, some of those games were massive amongst mmo fans at the time. You're just showing off your own ignorance.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Jaybe_Mawfaka
    Jaybe_Mawfaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eso is the only game I've ever seen yet where you are not being punished for being a bad player or making bad decisions pvp wise
  • treborrealb14_ESO
    treborrealb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    If a player can grab his friends,guildies ect as well as the casuals that log into play it comes down to faction popularity.

noone wants to be on the losing team....Now if ESO wants to come up with some greater incentive to being on the less populated faction then it will spread players around Hell Ive played since Beta never emped so kudos to those that can keep doing it just waiting 30 more year to retire and might have the time..

#pvpfunmatters
  • ZOS_PeterT
    ZOS_PeterT
    ✭✭✭
    We have closed this thread.
    On these forums we only permit the discussion of ESO its game play and mechanics.
    Please do not discuss nor bash other games and keep all conversations constructive and on topic.
    Review our Community Guidelines for more information.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios

Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site

Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.