Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Healing difficulty

ereboz
ereboz
✭✭✭✭
How difficult is healing in ESO? I've played lots of mmo's and I've only ever played dps. I've always wanted to try healing but I'm always intimidated by the responsibility of keeping everyone alive. Afraid that I'll screw up and everyone will freak out. I've played eso since beta but only dps. Any tips or comments would be great. Thanks

Best Answer

• psxfloh
    psxfloh
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hehe.. I'd be more afraid being insulted for low dps. That's why I heal, mostly.. :p

For 4-man dungeons just roll a Templar and all you'll ever need is "Breath of Life".
    For normal trials just add Healing Springs.
    For vet trials.. well, depends - just listen to your raid leader! ;)

When no one needs healing, do DPS or some heavy attacks to regenerate magicka. That's pretty much it.. healing's easy, just try!

oh, and don't stand in the red!
    Edited by psxfloh on October 21, 2016 1:27PM
    Answer ✓
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Healing is easy.

Mastering healing is hard. Keep up all buffs. Have the sets that helps your group. Use shards, repentance, magicka balls, combat prayer. Keep Elem drai & Siphon spirit up. There's tons of stuff to healing that's hard to master, since it involves more than just keeping people alive.

So it depends, really.
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • SolarCat02
    SolarCat02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love healing. Once you have the correct mentality, the healing part is easy. You just have to train your brain to focus on the big picture, where your team is standing, the state of everyone's health, when to refresh the buffs (as dps, you should already understand this part), and factor in an understanding of the mechanics so you can anticipate the higher damage moments.

Having high spell power and a decent crit is still important, but now your own resource sustainability and regeneration rate become critical - you always want at least a little bit of juice left for emergency healing.

You can actually work on this mentality as a dps. It's a good thing to understand in any role.

Just a warning, some less than stellar players do like to blame the healer for their own mistakes. This hasn't happened to me often, but it has happened. So it's important you understand where your responsibilities end, so you don't take blame for things that are not your fault. It helps to have a friendly group you run with regularly to help calibrate that.

(For example, our tank died on the last boss of vCoH1 last night. I thought it was my fault, since he's usually very stable and only really needs Rapid Regeneration ticking on him for most boss fights. He admitted after the fight that he had chosen a bad spot to stand and took two 33k hits in quick succession - nothing I could have done. You need at least one person willing to admit their own mistakes so you truly understand what you can and can't prevent. Defense against the blameshifters.)
    Why be normal when you can be better?

Elissandra Ravenwing, Magicka Dragonknight Healer
    Lady Kalila, Stamina Templar DPS
    Stands-in-Danger, Nightblade Saptank
    Zalarah, Stamina Dragonknight DPS
  • McI
    McI
    ✭✭✭
    Please don't just spam BoL. Keep up your regen/mutagen, combat prayer helps out dps, healing ward is pretty good skill to have. Throw shards when you can, use repentance when mobs are dead.

All of that if you are a Templar of course, I have never healed with the other classes. It honestly isn't really hard. You just have to keep your sills up, position well. And remember, the other players have a responsibility to keep themselves out of harms way. You can't heal stupid.
  • RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Healing is both the easiest and hardest role in the game. Unlike DPS or tank which can get away with the same moves for all dungeons or groups a healer has to switch based on the group you are in or the mechanics. For Example Just spamming heals is okay for groups with low survivability but if your team can survive well then using pure buffs or adding to damage every now and then is a good thing. Also some mechanics may make it next to impossible to stick togeather or some that hit the whole group regardless of formation sometimes combined so healers will have to adapt to that as well. Also if someone stands in stupid it is THERE fault when they die.

Finally the best advice is just ask your group for advice if you feel iffy about something if you ask I am sure your teammates will give it to you and may tell you what they need or don't need.
    Edited by RAGUNAnoOne on October 23, 2016 7:34AM
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Healing is easy.

Mastering healing is hard. Keep up all buffs. Have the sets that helps your group. Use shards, repentance, magicka balls, combat prayer. Keep Elem drai & Siphon spirit up. There's tons of stuff to healing that's hard to master, since it involves more than just keeping people alive.

So it depends, really.

This.

Going into a dungeon and keeping yourself and others alive isn't too hard. What makes a good healer is the buffs and support you add to a group, making everyone else's job easier.
  • ereboz
    ereboz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Really helpful stuff here, I'm gonna send my templar out into Tamriel with a new outlook on life. Any suggestions on easy to get gear? I'm 9 trait crafter but I don't currently have any dlc's atm.