Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Normal, version I, veteran, version II... I'm confused...

NewbieKenobi
NewbieKenobi
✭✭
So the patch notes declares
  • All Dungeons now have both a Normal and Veteran modes.
  • Previous Dungeons which had a unique Veteran mode have been converted to Version I and II; each version now has a Normal and Veteran mode.
  • Fungal Grotto will now be known as Fungal Grotto I and Fungal Grotto II.

But they don't really go inte to detail what exactly what this really mean...

Why didn't Zeni just add a Normal mode to say Fungal Grotto and call it Fungal Grotto Normal, keeping the original version and calling it Fungal Grotto Veteran, and then taking the original Selene's Web calling it Selene's Web Normal and then cranking up a version of it calling it Selene's Web Veteran?!?!

It's pretty confusing haveing a Fungal Grotto I and Fungal Grotto II but just a Selene's Web or a Blackheart Haven... I mean like, why didn't Selene's Web get a Selene's Web I and a Selenes's Web II??? There is just no consistency to the dungeon naming and versions now... :(

They could at least have called the (e.g.) Fungal versions Normal, Veteran, Pretige and Elite or something... Fungal I Normal, Fungal I Veteran and Fungal II Normal and Fungal II Veteran is both confusing and a bit... (sorry) cheap...

Could someone pls explain this to me as if I were a five year old? ;) I really don't get the whole version I and II thing...

Thx guys!
Xbox One | EU | SWE

"- People say you are what you eat, but I don't remember eating a f*****g legend."

Join our all swedish cross alliance guild Det Svenska Lejonet, we are always looking for more active swedish players! Join us for Pledges, Dungeons, Trials and more!

• ZOS_RichLambert
    ZOS_RichLambert
    Creative Director
    Story is separated from difficulty now. Some dungeons have multiple stories, which is why you will see Fungal Grotto I and Fungal Grotto II. (In your example, Selene's Web doesn't have a story 2)

Normal and Veteran are the difficulty mode of the dungeon.

So, short version is if you see a I or a II next to the name of the dungeon, that is the story you are choosing. You can do it in either normal or veteran difficulty.

Rich Lambert
    Creative Director - The Elder Scrolls Online
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube
    Staff Post
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why didn't Zeni just add a Normal mode to say Fungal Grotto and call it Fungal Grotto Normal, keeping the original version and calling it Fungal Grotto Veteran, and then taking the original Selene's Web calling it Selene's Web Normal and then cranking up a version of it calling it Selene's Web Veteran?!?!

It's pretty confusing haveing a Fungal Grotto I and Fungal Grotto II but just a Selene's Web or a Blackheart Haven... I mean like, why didn't Selene's Web get a Selene's Web I and a Selenes's Web II??? There is just no consistency to the dungeon naming and versions now... :(

Prior to 1 Tamriel, MOST dungeons had a normal mode and a vet mode--but not all! Selenes, Arx, Blackheart, Direfrost, etc. did not have a vet mode--and the DLC dungeons from the IC patch and the SotH patch had a vet mode, but no second storyline (normal and vet were different difficulties of the same dungeon). Most of the base game dungeons, though, had normal and vet modes that had different storylines: Banished Cells normal and Banished Cells Vet, for instance, had different mobs, bosses and story.

Essentially, some dungeons were actually two different dungeons in the same physical location.

So now the dungeons that had a normal and vet story are called "1" and "2," and normal/vet is just a difficulty toggle. Hence Fungal 1 and Fungal 2, but only just Selene's--and all three of those examples come in normal and veteran difficulty.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

...bah inb4.....oh....too late
    Edited by Rune_Relic on October 19, 2016 1:07PM
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Story and Difficulty is now separate. Maybe this will help:
    • "Spindleclutch I" is what used to be "Normal Spindleclutch". There is now a "Normal Spindleclutch I" and a "Veteran Spindlecluch I", both of which follow the same story "Deadly Whispers", just with different difficulty. That's the one where Praxin Douare is the story questgiver, and The Whisperer is the final boss.
    • "Spindleclutch II" is what used to be "Veteran Spindleclutch". There is now a "Normal Spindleclutch II" and a "Veteran Spindlecluch II", both of which follow the same story "Blood Relations", the sequel to "Deadly Whispers", just with different difficulty. That's the one where Guardian Sud-Hareem is the story questgiver, and Vorenor Winterbourne is the final boss.
    • This setup, where "Normal" became "I" and "Veteran" became "II", exists for every dungeon that had a different story in its Veteran mode: Spindleclutch, Fungal Grotto, Banished Cells, Wayrest Sewers, Elden Hollow, Darkshade Caverns, Crypt of Hearts, and City of Ash. Each of these now has two stories (I and II), and two difficulties for each (Normal and Veteran).
    • The other base-game dungeons, which were only Normal and did not have a second story or a Veteran mode, now have a Veteran mode which is just a more difficult version of the existing Normal dungeon: Arx Corinium, Volenfell, Tempest Island, Direfrost Keep, Blackheart Haven, Selene's Web, Blessed Crucible, and Vaults of Madness.
    • The DLC dungeons, which already had a Normal and Veteran version of the same story, are essentially unchanged: White-Gold Tower, Imperial City Prison, Cradle of Shadows, and Ruins of Mazzatun.

Edit: Wow, ninja'd by @ZOS_RichLambert himself :smiley:
    Edited by Enodoc on October 19, 2016 1:25PM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    Edit: Wow, ninja'd by @ZOS_RichLambert himself :smiley:

Speaking of which... @ZOS_RichLambert ...

Please give of story II for all dungeons...
    Why would you give up on this ? You sure had some work done in the drawers already...
    I know you said you prefer to work on new stuff rather than old stuff, but sorry, I don't buy this "explanation". Is it some copyright/legal issue with Sage's team ?

I know I'll never get that question answered - you couldn't even if you wanted to.

But... just be aware... we would really, REALLY welcome "story II" of every old dungeon. Vet City of Ash was just GREAT. We want them all.

• Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    Edit: Wow, ninja'd by ZOS_RichLambert himself :smiley:

Speaking of which... ZOS_RichLambert ...

Please give of story II for all dungeons...
    Why would you give up on this ? You sure had some work done in the drawers already...
    I know you said you prefer to work on new stuff rather than old stuff, but sorry, I don't buy this "explanation". Is it some copyright/legal issue with Sage's team ?

I know I'll never get that question answered - you couldn't even if you wanted to.

But... just be aware... we would really, REALLY welcome "story II" of every old dungeon. Vet City of Ash was just GREAT. We want them all.
    Simplest answer, that I can guess, is that it's due to the Tamriel Unlimited change in business model. All the new content they create now needs to bring in revenue through DLC sales, meaning that anything that focused on adding more content to the base game (Story II for dungeons, expanded delves in Tier 2/3 zones, spellcrafting, horse racing, etc) was shafted to the bottom of the list, as it can't be sold as DLC.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would have made sense just to completely rename the II version dungeon.

Essentially the I and II are completely different dungeons and are considered as such (just deal with the same story)

So Banished Cells I is a dungeon, has both vet and normal mode
    Banished Cells II (the re-banishing) is a completely different dungeon with vet and normal
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would have made sense just to completely rename the II version dungeon.

Essentially the I and II are completely different dungeons and are considered as such (just deal with the same story)

So Banished Cells I is a dungeon, has both vet and normal mode
    Banished Cells II (the re-banishing) is a completely different dungeon with vet and normal
    Technically they did. Their full titles, when you enter the dungeon through the door, are
    "The Banished Cells I: Banishing the Banished" and "The Banished Cells II: The Plan". So they essentially attached the name of the quest to the dungeon's title. But for ease of grouping, it's easier to say "LFG vBC2" than "LFG vet The Plan".
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Story is separated from difficulty now. Some dungeons have multiple stories, which is why you will see Fungal Grotto I and Fungal Grotto II. (In your example, Selene's Web doesn't have a story 2)

Normal and Veteran are the difficulty mode of the dungeon.

So, short version is if you see a I or a II next to the name of the dungeon, that is the story you are choosing. You can do it in either normal or veteran difficulty.

Thanks.

@ZOS_RichLambert It seems rather generic to use the I and II numbering scheme. Did you consider more specific names?
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • delclay23
    delclay23
    ✭✭
    Different drops in different dungeons