Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Explain post-50 leveling to me

cbgamer
cbgamer
Soul Shriven
Hello -

I have not yet reached level 50 with any characters. Currently level 39 is my highest, but I am determined to get to 50 and beyond. However, I am confused by leveling post-50. I know there used to be VR ranks, but those appear to be gone. I see CP levels for players above 50. Is that the "levels" post-50? How fast do you gain them versus levels from 1-50? Does content post-50 require a certain CP level to access?

A related question is that I have not finished the main story, mage guild or fighters guild quests. It used to be said that waiting until level 50 to complete these was the best way to get a starter weapon at level 50. Is this still the case? I have these quests completed until the near end, but have stopped doing them until I get to 50. Is that advisable? Or does it not matter any more?

If these is a guide explaining this new system, feel free to link as I have not been able to find anything. Thanks for any help.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Post 50, your 'rank' is your Champion Point amount. And any character you get to L50, just moves to that rank. It's account wide.

No content restricted. Gear goes up in increments of 10CP but CP160 is the best you can get right now / cap.
    XP per CP Scales, low CP its very easy / fast. 1 random dungeon gives you 4/5 I think if you are enlightened.

Mages guild weopon isn't great. Fighters is ok has a prismatic glyph helps you kill Deadra. I saved my FG quest till I was CP160 for that reason. There is better gear / traits tho
    Edited by Beardimus on October 18, 2016 4:45PM
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Ir0nB34r
    Ir0nB34r
    ✭✭✭
    There is Character Level, then Champion Level/Points (Also known as CP)

Once you are Character Level 50, you start earning Champion Points which can be distributed in a constellation much like what you were used to in Skyrim. This way you can truly progress your character how you want to. You can progress through CP pretty quickly. I ran a dungeon the other day and got 6 CP points by completing it. And there are times where you have "accelerated" gain on CP. But leveling is done the same way as you are now. Just questing, killing, and discovering stuff.

There are 3 different groups of constellations to distribute points into: Warrior, Mage, & Thief. Each has 3 different ones in it. Each time you gain a CP point you will gain it in only one of those groups. This will make more sense when you actually get to this point.

If you just muscle through the main quest line you will likely be level 50 by the time you get to the end. With the One Tamriel Update, it no longer matters what your Character Level is. You will just be missing out on certain bonuses that higher Champion Level players get.
    [XBOX][NA]
    Breton | Sorcerer | Damage Dealer - Build Info (Coming Soon)
    Breton | Warden | Healer - Build Info (Coming Soon)
    Argonian | Dragon Knight | Tank - Build Info (Coming Soon)
    (Retired)Breton | Sorcerer | Tank - Build Info (<< Link to Google Docs Page)
    "If you are quitting, can I have your stuff??"
  • cbgamer
    cbgamer
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you - both are very helpful replies.

Maybe one last question. I have leveled so far by just doing quests, exploring and public dungeons. I actually have not grouped yet. Can you get gear upgrades post-50 this way? I don't need the top gear, just better gear as I progress with more CP's.

I might try to get into grouping more later anyway, but asking just in case. I play on PS4 and not comfortable with my abilities yet to group. Thank again.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cbgamer wrote: »

Maybe one last question. I have leveled so far by just doing quests, exploring and public dungeons. I actually have not grouped yet. Can you get gear upgrades post-50 this way? I don't need the top gear, just better gear as I progress with more CP's.

I might try to get into grouping more later anyway, but asking just in case. I play on PS4 and not comfortable with my abilities yet to group. Thank again.

Yes you can. With the new update everywhere will be scaled, so every quest will now give you stuff for your level, and everything in the world/dungeons will drop for your level. Major quests even award you set pieces!
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Ir0nB34r
    Ir0nB34r
    ✭✭✭
    cbgamer wrote: »

Do not worry about your abilities right now. Level 1 to 50 is basically a tutorial to teach you about your character. I always tell new players not to worry about the skills and abilities they choose. It can all be redistributed later. I got up to level 50 as a heavy armor sorcerer healer. I didn't like that path so I respec'd and went sorcerer tank. So just have fun with it for now.

In fact, NOW would be the best time to start grouping with others. At your current level there is not much thats expected of you since there is no way you can be optimized for anything. Its only at higher CP levels will people really start placing more importance on your abilities and skill.
    Edited by Ir0nB34r on October 18, 2016 8:12PM
    [XBOX][NA]
    Breton | Sorcerer | Damage Dealer - Build Info (Coming Soon)
    Breton | Warden | Healer - Build Info (Coming Soon)
    Argonian | Dragon Knight | Tank - Build Info (Coming Soon)
    (Retired)Breton | Sorcerer | Tank - Build Info (<< Link to Google Docs Page)
    "If you are quitting, can I have your stuff??"