Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

How do I play this game? Banishing the Banished quest is frustrating me so much.

Davor
Davor
✭✭✭✭✭
Now I remember why I don't like ESO sometimes. I can't do this quest Banishing the Banished. I don't know much about MMOs so that is what is frustrating me a lot as well. I guess this quest I need other people to play with in order to do? I keep getting killed all the time.

So my questions is how am I suppose to play this game first of all. I mostly play single player games and I love all the Elder Scroll games so I am playing ESO like would Skyrim or any ESO game. I have fun mostly doing this. So how is ESO supposed to be played?

Second how do I do the Banishing the Banished quest?

Third, how do I join a group since I can't find my head set, how do I now what people want or what I am supposed to do? How do you communicate with other people doing a quest then? Just so frustrating having no manual and not knowing what to do.

Any help would be appreciated.
Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the game (80-90%) you can do single-player, but, the quest you mentioned is a group dungeon and not intended to be soloed. It sounds like you are on console. I play on PC, but I thought all platforms had a group-finder tool. I will let someone on console explain how to access that.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Tinythinker. I tried using the group finder, but have no clue if I am doing it correctly or not since nothing seems to be happening. I will wait to see if someone can explain it. I am playing on the Xbox One.

I would like to know how to play with others if I ever find a group. Do I need a head set? Should I set up my Kinect for this? I can't find my head set now.

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The next update will add an optional text chat to consoles, which will make it easier to find groups outside of the group finder or just hanging around near a dungeon waiting for someone to use voice chat to offer a chance at a group. As for the group finder, you can list yourself as DPS (damage-per-second or damage dealer), healer, or tank. Tanks tend to groups fastest because they are rarer, DPS get groups the slowest because they are so common. Unless you have the set-up for healer or tank most it's better to list as DPS because otherwise people will expect you to do the role. It's better to find a group of people you know if you are new to the game rather than using a randomly made group.

Joining a guild is a good way to find people who will help new players, explain the mechanics of a dungeon, and be patient as you learn. There are forums here to find a guild based on which console you have and whether you are EU or NA. You can search the posts for one that sounds right or make a new one introducing yourself and asking for a guild invite.

As for being in a group, voice or text chat is really helpful because people need to communicate such as explaining how certain fights work or asking for help if they get in trouble. The DPS or DD focuses on doing as much damage as possible in a fight, the healer tries to keep everyone alive, and the tank controls the fight by grabbing the attention of the biggest monsters with taunts. Of course, anyone can heal and do damage, and should try to do both when possible, but those built for certain roles will be most effective. Part of the fun of group dungeons is learning how to beat them.

Groups made from group finder might contain people who just want a quick run instead, which is why I recommend finding a guild. While some guilds are made for experienced players who want to do high difficulty content, most guilds are not so selective and will help new players figure things out and get basic completions.

Edited by tinythinker on October 3, 2016 12:29AM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks again Tiny Thinker.

• smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just as a note - text chat has been on console since update 11. However, since it is optional, others may not be using it, even if you do.

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2016/08/10/update-11-guide-text-chat-on-consoles
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    smacx250 wrote: »
    Just as a note - text chat has been on console since update 11. However, since it is optional, others may not be using it, even if you do.

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2016/08/10/update-11-guide-text-chat-on-consoles

Oops, got my updates mixed up.
    Edited by tinythinker on October 3, 2016 12:44AM

• AoDD33pfri3d
    AoDD33pfri3d
    ✭✭✭
    Press start go to activity select random dungeon press x to go in queue, then just wait you can pick a certain dungeon that you want but I think that option is broken, I waited 8 hours and nothing so just stick with the random dungeon. If you need more help message me my gt is AoD D33pfri3d
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very few players use grouping tool for dungeons that are not the current day's pledge, so if you que in for Banished Cells and it is not a pledge that day, chances of getting into a group via grouping tool are low.

Pledges are daily quests you get for doing dungeons at level 45+ and they're picked up in the capital city of your Alliance (Elden Root, Wayrest, Deshaan), at the Undaunted Enclave.

You can go up to Banished Cells entrance, if there are players there around your level then invite 3 of them to group - if they decline, then invite someone else.
    This is actually what we did early on PC, as many players didn't have friends and guilds to do content with, so many people found groups and friends for dungeon purpose this way.
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks again everyone greatly appreciate the comments. I waited all day and now thanks to AoD and Failkiwib posts, it's a very hit and miss I see.

• mad0ni0n
    mad0ni0n
    ✭✭✭
    If you waited in the queue for a while and didn't find a group today then it might be difficult to find a group that way. I would do what someone else suggested and go to the entrance to banished cells at a popular time (weekend/evening) and see if you can get three other people together to do it. can try asking in zone chat too.
  • Gulkrim-mur
    Gulkrim-mur
    ✭✭✭
    Davor wrote: »
    Thanks again everyone greatly appreciate the comments. I waited all day and now thanks to AoD and Failkiwib posts, it's a very hit and miss I see.

if you play ps4 you can add me, drinsanity666 i can help you in game no problems here.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing to remember about the Group Finder, everyone wants to be a DPS, and if you choose DPS as your Role, it can take a long time to que for a specific dungeon as a DPS. It can help to forma partial group and use the Group Finder.

Another thing you can do is to level up your Restoration Staff and do some Healing, Healers are always in demand. Same with Tanks. Healers are easier to gear up for as they use pretty much the same gear as any Magic Caster, so all you need is the Resto Staff and some skills leveled. Note, you don't need to equip the staff to level it, just slot one Resto skill into your Flex slot that you use for leveling misc skills as you go along (so you have a 4 skill rotation, not a 5).

Tanking, has more of a gear requirement, but it is a fun role to play.

Just don't try to game the Group Finder and que as a Healer or Tank if your not going to be actually doing that role, you will probably be kicked from the group, and then you have to wait 15 minutes to use the Group Finder again. Being a Healer or a Tank is not super difficult, it just requires a different approach to the fight. There are a few threads around here on Tanking or Healing to get some tips.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

if you play ps4 you can add me, drinsanity666 i can help you in game no problems here.

Thanks for the offer but I am on Xbox One.

Thank you Nestor for the tips. Greatly appreciated.
    Edited by Davor on October 6, 2016 10:45PM

• AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best thing to do is go to the guild recruitment section of the forum and find a casual guild to join. Getting a group of regular folks to play with helps tremendously.

Also, you can use zone text chat to try to find others to group with.