The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Official Discussion Thread for Dueling

• sladen_eos
    sladen_eos
    Soul Shriven
    Darlon wrote: »
    I'd rather see ultimate set to 1000 than to 0. (And then set to 0 when the duel ends )

That way everyone would have their ulti ready, and it wouldn't be an extra advantage for the person with the cheapest ultimate.

Could be a good idea, I only suggested a reset to 0 because the more expensive ults are generally more powerful.
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather see ultimate set to 1000 than to 0. (And then set to 0 when the duel ends )

That way everyone would have their ulti ready, and it wouldn't be an extra advantage for the person with the cheapest ultimate.

That's a class advantage like all other class advantages.
  • Darlon
    Darlon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »

No it isn't. Please stop thinking there's only class ultimates, especially with the new weapon ones coming... guess who gets shafted here ?

But then again, not worrying to much.. can't imagine that an ultimate reset will happen anyways.
    Edited by Darlon on September 25, 2016 6:20AM
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »

No it isn't. Please stop thinking there's only class ultimates, especially with the new weapon ones coming... guess who gets shafted here ?

But then again, not worrying to much.. can't imagine that an ultimate reset will happen anyways.

Doesn't Overload work off the amount of Ultimate stored, whereas other ultimates use up all available ultimate stored in one go?

So 1000 ultimate gets a sorc a fully charged Overlaod and a NB a single Incapacitating strike...
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There's a thread on the first page of the general forum. Complaints about players griefing others by dueling in the banks, near doors, and at crafting stations and wayshrines. Some are apparently even making arrangements in chat and by mail to show up to disrupt players in the bank.

Gosh I'm glad we went through the effort of giving feedback about this when dueling was only on the pts. @ZOS_GinaBruno
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ultimate cost is part of balancing an ultimate, that is why for example Werewolf is so expensive. Setting the ultimate to 1000 will remove that balancing factor and everyone will be using the most powerful ultimate despite of his cost.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    More happy players. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/295488/please-limit-pvp-it-is-killing-the-towns-and-the-game#latest

So much for the "never have pvp in pve areas". And yes, dueling is pvp. Arenas, battlegrounds, some sequestered area where they can't disrupt the game for people who DON'T WANT TO DUEL OR PVP.

Edited by JKorr on October 6, 2016 2:07PM
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »
    So much for the "never have pvp in pve areas". And yes, dueling is pvp. Arenas, battlegrounds, some sequestered area where they can't disrupt the game for people who DON'T WANT TO DUEL OR PVP.

if you don't want to duel, simple turn off the option on your settings and done.
  • Jaronking
    Jaronking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems most people are fine with dueling as is and dont think it should be a crime https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/295652/should-dueling-in-cities-be-a-crime/p1 Good job Zos and thanks for adding this @ZOS_GinaBruno,a lot of people are enjoying this as you implemented it.
    Edited by Jaronking on October 7, 2016 9:56AM
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaronking wrote: »
    It seems most people are fine with dueling as is and dont think it should be a crime https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/295652/should-dueling-in-cities-be-a-crime/p1 Good job Zos and thanks for adding this @ZOS_GinaBruno,a lot of people are enjoying this as you implemented it.

@Jaronking :

1/ since when is 49% "most people ?
    2/ the question in that poll is not "are you fine with dueling as is ?" but "should duelling in cities be a crime ?" which is entirely different. I don't think duelling in cities should be a crime, I think duelling should not be possible in cities/towns at all.

Stop interpreting people's comments to suit your needs.

ZOS, this "duelling in cities / banks / crafting and trading areas" is a pure nightmare. It ruins the game experience for most of us. Please do something about it.

• JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ManDraKE wrote: »
    JKorr wrote: »

if you don't want to duel, simple turn off the option on your settings and done.

How do I turn off the wonderful, mature, good natured PVPers who, after being told "No" proceed to fireball/aoe spam the crafting station until, finally, their attention span ends and they get bored and run off to harass someone else?

See, that happened last night. I logged on to go make a set of gear for a guildmate. I was NOT in town, I was out at a set crafting station. Someone followed me from the waystation, down the hill, across the stream and up to the station. They asked to duel. I declined and read the mail with the crafting request. Mr. Maturity proceeded to throw fireballs and other abilities while I was trying to craft the gear until they finally got bored and went away. I declined the duel. The other player did NOT consider it "done".

Sorry, from the behavior I've seen on the live game so far, the only way it will be "done" is if the game settings are changed to prevent it from happening in the first place.

While, depending on my personal mood after a day at work, I might want an "insta-kill by terminator guard" to be the consequences for ignoring a "No", I'd be perfectly happy if they confined dueling to an arena/challenge area/fighting pit/special stage/somewhere outside of town, away from banks/inside buildings, and crafting stations in or the set stations outside towns. The people who want to pvp can pvp out there to their heart's content.

The people who push the hardest for dueling everywhere seem to be terrified that, if the dueling was restricted to certain areas, they wouldn't have as many people to harass. Or duel. Or gank. If dueling is so popular, why would you be so dead set against moving it to an area outside of town and away from other players who don't want to duel? You all insist that this is something a huge overwhelming majority want. If it really is, you'll have no problem because everyone will be in the dueling areas.
  • AuldWolf
    AuldWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The points JKarr is raising are my feelings, too.

It's ridiculous. I understand that there are good natured, nice PvPers out there. To you? I salute you. You'll head outside of a city to duel, you'll understand why it's a disruption, and you'll even avoid quest hubs. You'll keep duelling away from where it would be a disruption. You're not out to troll, you just want to enjoy duelling. I respect that and I advocate your right to duel. You're not the problem. Not at all.

The problem is that, unfortunately, sociopaths exist. And contrary to popular belief, they're not the quiet, secluded introverts that people would believe they are. They're the loud, rambunctious extraverts who like to make a nuisance out of themselves. Here's a relevant study. Why am I bringing this up? Why is it relevant? Like I said, good PvPers with excellent manners and an understanding of ethics exist, my beef isn't with them. It's with ZOS who're failing to understand that Internet trolls, who are sociopaths, will use duelling to disrupt others, to mess with them, and to manipulate them.

There are sociopaths who'll use this to destroy roleplaying in ESO by watching the roleplay calendar on teso-rp.com and choosing to disrupt those events. JKarr has brought up how there are troll groups who've organised to specifically annoy people at banks, crafting stations, and entrances to important PvE locations just to annoy people. This is going to create friction between PvErs and PVPers and that's exactly what these people want, they get off on seeing us mad at one another. PvPers aren't the enemy, here. Sociopathic Internet trolls are the enemy.

These aren't innocents having fun, they're people who understand full well the ramifications of their actions. What you're seeing right now with people at one another's necks? That's what sociopathic Internet trolls want. This is the kind of discord and chaos they revel in creating, they like it when other people are upset and angry, and they like it even more if they can deflect that away from themselves at another group. And ZOS, with duelling, has given them the opportunity to enable their power to do just that by having everyone react as though PvPers in general are the problem (they're not).

I have proposed, and will continue to propose and belabour, an option to turn duels off, visually. Essentially, you'll have an option under the Social panel named 'Hide Duels.' What this does when toggled on is whenever two players initiate a duel, it has them fade out of existence as though they're logging off. You can't see them, nor their duel, nor the graphical effects, nor hear the sounds. As such, you're defanging sociopathic Internet trolls who're looking to cause disruptions and you're empowering PvPers who just want to duel, who'll then have the peace of mind to.

Essentially, this is something that everyone can get behind. The only people who couldn't get behind this are the aforementioned sociopathic Internet trolls who want to force us to watch these duels in order to create disruptions.

So, let's have this option. Please? Pretty please?

@ZOS_GinaBruno - Please, pass this on.