Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Should ESO change the way it sells Dyes?

• MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    I would just prefer if you can buy the dyes from the Crown store that if you buy them they are attached to each and every character on the account and on the server permanently, meaning it would act like a secondary option to the normal dyes, but exclusive to the crown store. In order to prevent bypassing the dyes associated with achievements they could add different dyes entirely. .

And to keep ESO plus attractive on this score I'd say sure go ahead and make it to where ONLY the crown store dyes can be used for costumes if you are not subscriber.
    So you want to prevent me from using what I legitimately acquired in the game through my time and effort? How is this any better than the current system? Thanks, but no thanks. I prefer Danikat's method of fixing dye stamps.

I don't mind if we get crown dyes in addition to achievement dyes. Normally I'd be worried it would end up with everything good locked behind a paywall, but they won't take away the dyes from already existing achievements, so it wouldn't be so bad.

Honestly I'd like nothing better than for everyone to be able to use all of their dyes on everything. I'm simply trying to work within the existing framework ZOS has set out on this. The ability to dye costumes as freely as armor is a subscription perk. My suggestion has it remain one. Those who won't sub for whatever reason, are just not going to have all the perks a sub has. I'm largely okay with that.
    Your solution removes all the fun out of it, though. It renders our accomplishments useless. That's not a good feeling and not something I expected a roleplayer to support.

I'm a little confused. How does it remove the "fun?" And how does it render your accomplishments useless?

The sentence I originally quoted. No achievement dyes on costumes for non-subs. We earn the rewards, but we can't use them because it would somehow hurt subscribers.

Ah, then this an argument about sub perks vs. non-subs and their lack of perks. Which is really another conversation entirely. I do sub and I've always felt the dye system, even when originally implemented, was poorly done because it limited character customization for no good reason. It was the lazy way to get out of making achievements ACTUALLY matter. There is no real reward for them. Indeed, for most you don't even get a color at all, let alone anything else. Of all the things to keep from non-subscribers. The ability to freely dye costumes really shouldn't be a sub perk. So I'd be just as happy if they'd remove that barrier and simply add a new tier of crown store only colors for people to purchase and unlock.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't vote because no matter what I wouldn't be buying dyes - for my own personal use the current system is fine.

Having said that, since they introduced the dye stamps I've always thought it was an odd system. I like the system proposed by @Danikat better. It seems more fair to non-subscribers than the current system IMO.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would just prefer if you can buy the dyes from the Crown store that if you buy them they are attached to each and every character on the account and on the server permanently, meaning it would act like a secondary option to the normal dyes, but exclusive to the crown store. In order to prevent bypassing the dyes associated with achievements they could add different dyes entirely. .

And to keep ESO plus attractive on this score I'd say sure go ahead and make it to where ONLY the crown store dyes can be used for costumes if you are not subscriber.
    So you want to prevent me from using what I legitimately acquired in the game through my time and effort? How is this any better than the current system? Thanks, but no thanks. I prefer Danikat's method of fixing dye stamps.

I don't mind if we get crown dyes in addition to achievement dyes. Normally I'd be worried it would end up with everything good locked behind a paywall, but they won't take away the dyes from already existing achievements, so it wouldn't be so bad.

Honestly I'd like nothing better than for everyone to be able to use all of their dyes on everything. I'm simply trying to work within the existing framework ZOS has set out on this. The ability to dye costumes as freely as armor is a subscription perk. My suggestion has it remain one. Those who won't sub for whatever reason, are just not going to have all the perks a sub has. I'm largely okay with that.
    Your solution removes all the fun out of it, though. It renders our accomplishments useless. That's not a good feeling and not something I expected a roleplayer to support.

I'm a little confused. How does it remove the "fun?" And how does it render your accomplishments useless?

The sentence I originally quoted. No achievement dyes on costumes for non-subs. We earn the rewards, but we can't use them because it would somehow hurt subscribers.

Ah, then this an argument about sub perks vs. non-subs and their lack of perks. Which is really another conversation entirely. I do sub and I've always felt the dye system, even when originally implemented, was poorly done because it limited character customization for no good reason. It was the lazy way to get out of making achievements ACTUALLY matter. There is no real reward for them. Indeed, for most you don't even get a color at all, let alone anything else. Of all the things to keep from non-subscribers. The ability to freely dye costumes really shouldn't be a sub perk. So I'd be just as happy if they'd remove that barrier and simply add a new tier of crown store only colors for people to purchase and unlock.

Most games have little attatched to achievements. Only major achievements give some teward, and that is a good system. So i doubt it was about making achivements matter as much as giving people who earned something full use of it. Being a sub perk is about making ESO+ actually matter past dlc.

As far as it being a sub perk, it is fine as it is ( though stamp cost and useage could be improved). Costume dying is not required for gameplay. It is a bonus to customization, a perk in many games.

• Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remove this cash grab.

Let people dye the costumes they already purchased for Crowns without spending even more real $$$ to use the dyes they worked for.

Would be cool if Barbershop (gold variant) was revived and they scrapped the Style Parlor (Crowns-only variant).

And while you're at it, remove as many of the cash grabbing greedy tactics you already plan on implementing into Player Housing, which is nearly guaranteed to get ruined due to the necessity (not the choice) of needing to fork over lots of real money for it.
    Edited by Vaoh on October 5, 2016 4:12AM
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I actually don't mind unlimited costume dying being a sub perk, I can easily live without it. I just don't like how extremely restrictive the system is to non-subs, to the degree that I'd sooner subscribe for a month to dye all my costumes than buy dye stamps. Which might have been Zenimax's goal all along, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with this strategy. If ESO can't be sub-based, I wish it was at least an honest B2P game instead some weird mix of "sub strongly encouraged, but we'll suck you dry with our crown store too". *sigh*
    Edited by Rosveen on October 5, 2016 8:43AM
  • shadowwraith666
    shadowwraith666
    ✭✭✭✭
    let us use the dyes that we use for our armour that we have unlocked instead of having to buy them.
    • Vicktor Bloodtail - L42 Argonian Magblade, Werewolf - EP
    • Xarxes - L31 Dunmer Sorc, Vampire - EP
    • Lichtspear - L21 Argonian Temp - EP
    • Rajka Fireclaw - L21 Khajit DK - AD

PS4 EU
    Spill some blood for me dear brother
    Vicente Valtiere, Dark Brotherhood, Oblivion
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dyes should be in-game gold only from vendors
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Number_51
    Number_51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The system could have, and should have, been so much easier. I'm in favor of something muck like @Danikat suggests, but get rid of the stamp altogether. If ZOS must charge non-subs, charge 50 Crowns (I think this is the cost of the cheapest dye stamps) for a token to unlock the same system ESO+ users use. You must have at least one token to get into the system, you can use any dyes you've unlocked yourself, preview, cancel, or accept (and get charged a token). I believe you have to exit the system to switch costumes, and you can only dye the one you're wearing, so players couldn't use 1 token to do all of their costumes.

BTW, I'm an ESO+ sub and I could care less if they gave this system to everyone for free. While I think it's a huge QOL addition to the game, I don't really see a lot of "value" in it.
  • Asha_11_ESO
    Asha_11_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I bought one dye combo from the store just to see how it worked. I thought I'd only have to buy the dye combo once, and unlock it for my account. I was taken aback that you have to pay that much for one dye combo, one use, and only one costume and character.

I would much rather a system where you can buy special costume only dye combos, that unlock for your account, in their own separate category in the dye station. I'd maybe pay a bit more if the colour combo's were more thought out, and used irridescents or metallics. Some of the colour combo's on offer so far are downright awful - garish yellow, purple and green??! No thank you.

• Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont care what dyes they offer.
    I have not and will not buy dyes that are one time use only.
    I will only buy dyes that become unlocked for every character on the account to use forever.
    They should be available for everyone to purchase, not just ESO Plus (I have ESO plus).
    Edited by Katahdin on October 15, 2016 9:09PM
    Beta tester November 2013