Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Offensive sap tank gear

Bakven
Bakven
✭✭✭
So I'm trying to make a sap tank that's offensive and can actually kill people. I decided I'd run 5x Vicious Death because it's likely I'd have multiple people on me since I'd be tanky. I was looking at different gear to try out including fasallas, kags, and transmutation. Just from looking at the stats the spell damage from kags makes it look the best for this build.

I was wondering if anyone has tried this combination before, or if there is another set like julianos, that would work better. If I ever became emperor I'd use this build, but I'd like this to be viable in 1vX situations without emperor.

Any and all ideas and advice are welcome
EP NA Haderus
Iscangar- Mageblade (retired pvp; pve only now)
Emlyn Medresi - Magicka DK

Soon to come
Vash'rassa- Stamblade
-Tiffany - Stam DK
Trokaar - Mageblade (vamp/Iscangar 2.0)
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've run Kags and Neriene'th with vicious death before. It does work really well. People think your just a perma block build without realising you're sapping them. Magelight then soul tether and you can do serious damage.
    Edited by Brrrofski on September 28, 2016 6:39AM
  • The_Duke
    The_Duke
    ✭✭✭✭
    I run 3 willpower healthy, 5 kags and 5 alchemist on mine. 5 heavy 2 light. 3500 sp 36000 mag 31000 hp. Once I get the arcane willpower Ill change to it. Would push me close to 40 000 mag with mag light. Proxy/tether bombs work great and you have the survivability to keep sapping in the middle of the pile. Ive killed 10 people at one shot. I had the kill X amount of players quest and it jumped 10 in one blast without VD. You just need to time it right.
    The Duke

Stamplar

Guild leader of The Dukes. PS4
  • Bakven
    Bakven
    ✭✭✭
    The_Duke wrote: »
    I run 3 willpower healthy, 5 kags and 5 alchemist on mine. 5 heavy 2 light. 3500 sp 36000 mag 31000 hp. Once I get the arcane willpower Ill change to it. Would push me close to 40 000 mag with mag light. Proxy/tether bombs work great and you have the survivability to keep sapping in the middle of the pile. Ive killed 10 people at one shot. I had the kill X amount of players quest and it jumped 10 in one blast without VD. You just need to time it right.

How did you get 5x kags, 5x trans, and 3x willpower?
    EP NA Haderus

Soon to come
    Vash'rassa- Stamblade
    -Tiffany - Stam DK
  • The_Duke
    The_Duke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bakven wrote: »

How did you get 5x kags, 5x trans, and 3x willpower?

The main bar is 5 kags 4 alchemist 3 willpower. You swap to the resto bar for the 5th alchemist. Once it procs you swap back to the kags bar
    The Duke

Stamplar

• Immovablestone

Do you use 1h/shield on the bar that does your proxy/tether, or sharpened DW swords/etc? How do you find resource management?
  • The_Duke
    The_Duke
    ✭✭✭✭

Do you use 1h/shield on the bar that does your proxy/tether, or sharpened DW swords/etc? How do you find resource management?

I use 1h on my det bar. I know I can get better burst with dual but then I wouldn't be a tank. I use a sharpened sword. My build isn't just to proxy burst, it's meant to be a true tank. Sure if Im going into a zerg or I am outnumbered proxy/tether is always on, but my soul harvest can crit for 20000k(10k with battle spirit) so I have effective burst 1v1.

Sustain is lower but with siphoning attacks and a heavy resto staff I can get 5-6k mag back with one heavy. Fear is your friend when you are low on stats, it allows you to reset the fight and regen with a few heavys. Plus heavy/light weaving procs your bow which is insane damage.
    The Duke

Stamplar

• Immovablestone

I use 1h on my det bar. I know I can get better burst with dual but then I wouldn't be a tank. I use a sharpened sword. My build isn't just to proxy burst, it's meant to be a true tank. Sure if Im going into a zerg or I am outnumbered proxy/tether is always on, but my soul harvest can crit for 20000k(10k with battle spirit) so I have effective burst 1v1.

Sustain is lower but with siphoning attacks and a heavy resto staff I can get 5-6k mag back with one heavy. Fear is your friend when you are low on stats, it allows you to reset the fight and regen with a few heavys. Plus heavy/light weaving procs your bow which is insane damage.

What do you run for jewelry enchants and mundus? Just curious, I haven't tried the heavy sap tank in quite a while but have been thinking of revamping mine.
  • The_Duke
    The_Duke
    ✭✭✭✭

What do you run for jewelry enchants and mundus? Just curious, I haven't tried the heavy sap tank in quite a while but have been thinking of revamping mine.

Spell damage on jewelry and spell power mundus. The higher the spell power the higher your sap and swallow soul will heal you. In a 1v1 fight I'll light attack, swallow soul then bash. All animation canceled. The light attack regens using siphoning and the swallow and bash each have a chance to proc the big resource tick. I seldom run out of resources. I use 5 impen and 2 sturdy on gear. Reinforced shield.
    The Duke

Stamplar

• Fatalyis
    Fatalyis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just slapped on 5pc Julianos heavy last night and had a blast...switched between Trans and Elf Bane.

One thing that I'm still trying to settle on is Mundus choice. I love Atronach for the regen but I feel I don't need it most of the time (and get pretty good regen from Trans + Siphoning). I switched out to Shadow last night and I saw some pretty nice crits (damage and heals) but only on people who didn't run Impen (or not much of it) so it is only helping me some of the time it seems.

The two I'm stuck on are Apprentice vs. Mage. Both give a nice damage increase but it seems (on my toon at least) Mage gives me more damage. Anyone else seeing this?
    Edited by Fatalyis on September 29, 2016 1:11AM
  • MalakithAlamahdi
    MalakithAlamahdi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fatalyis wrote: »
    Just slapped on 5pc Julianos heavy last night and had a blast...switched between Trans and Elf Bane.

One thing that I'm still trying to settle on is Mundus choice. I love Atronach for the regen but I feel I don't need it most of the time (and get pretty good regen from Trans + Siphoning). I switched out to Shadow last night and I saw some pretty nice crits (damage and heals) but only on people who didn't run Impen (or not much of it) so it is only helping me some of the time it seems.

The two I'm stuck on are Apprentice vs. Mage. Both give a nice damage increase but it seems (on my toon at least) Mage gives me more damage. Anyone else seeing this?

Odd that mage gives you more damage then Apprentice. Generally its about 10 magicka = 1 spell damage. So Apprentice should give you about 100 more. For shields etc it's better to take Mage if your damage is good already, as those only scale of your magicka.
  • smtdbplus
    smtdbplus
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen sap tank for a while. I saw cuuple times that someone tried to sap and got killed in 10-15 seconds, before tanking... is it still viable?

A lot of cancer tank though.

• ninjaguyman
    ninjaguyman
    ✭✭✭
    I've been going through a few different sets on my heavy armor mag nb lately, but the one set that seems to be sticking for me is the Syrabane set(jewelry + gloves+ sash) to help out with my magicka sustain. gives magicka back whenever u block direct spell damage. Theres alot of stam players these days, but in large scale battles, theres always gonna be some spells flying around.

I never really found a monster set that I was happy with, so i currently run 2pc torugs pact for added damage.

Ive been switching out my last 5 piece. I've tried fasalla's, julianos, kags, even the arena set for stamina sustain. I actually haven't given Blackrose a shot, but I've kinda stayed away from it, idk why. I guess i expect it to get changed due to complaining eventually, so i dont want to get attached to it. currently i use alchemist since it gives a nice double health bonus, spell dmg, as well as a huge burst capability from the 5 pc. the added spell damage also means your healing abilities also heal for more during the duration too.

ultimately your gearing depends on how tanky u want your character to be, as well as how much damage u want to put out. if youre set on using vicious death, then that might take care of most of the damaging part of your set up. I suggest u add in something that helps out ur sustain atleast a little bit as VD does not have anything that helps out sustain wise.

Of the sets u listed, I havent tried transmutation, but ive tried the other two. Kags is a solid set that gives u a little mag recovery, while also providing health and spell damage. the faster rezzing is also a great thing to have when u need to get a rez off in battle and your outnumbered. Fasalla's is also good, but even with 50% healing reduced, i still feel like i dont have enough damage to finish some people off. but that will honestly always be the case if we aren't going a max damage set up.

What's your skill bar set up by the way? besides the obvious sap tank skills like sap+ swallow soul u need a few skills for bursting targets down.
    Characters:
    AD breton nb: Shadowshinobi
    DC Altmer magicka nb: merc shot
  • Bakven
    Bakven
    ✭✭✭
    @ninjaguyman My current skills for it is:
    SnB swallow soul, mistform, sap essence, entropy, and refreshing path.
    Resto siphoning strikes, annulment, fear, cloak, and harden ward
    EP NA Haderus

Soon to come
    Vash'rassa- Stamblade
    -Tiffany - Stam DK
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mage gives a lot of magicka when combined with anything that boosts max mag too. Without divines apprentice is around 200 spell damage, if you're getting about 2k max mag from Mage and Boost you'll be about the same. If you factor in that some abilities do scale more to max mag vs spl dmg then that may be why you're getting better numbers with mage.

I've ran into a few of these NBs, they are hella annoying to face with my tanky build. Either one of us over extends and dies (usually first few matches) and then neither one of us will over extend again. At this point I bow and leave the area.

They are decent and I wanna learn more about them...

Give more info!
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

... how?.. how... do you have H Ward? You mean healing ward right?

*Tries to put Incap Strike on Sorc*
    *Fails*
    Bummer
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • ninjaguyman
    ninjaguyman
    ✭✭✭
    @Bakven

sorry for the latish reply,

but i have a few suggestions for ur bar setup.
    I think the biggest suggestion is to take off entropy. ur spell dmg buff easily comes from sap and entropy heals for very little. So I'm assuming u chose the max health morph to help with your survivability. If u want to replace it with something else that helps u survive better, i think one of the defensive posture morphs would be more helpful for block cost reduction. this of course depends on how high ur health is without it entropy, and if u are comfortable with it. I personally run with about 25-26k health, which i think is sufficient.

u could also get rid of cloak if u want to. i run with mistform on back bar, where your cloak would be, and have fear on my front bar. I personally find it rather hard to make good use of cloak in the middle of combat, but that might be a l2p issue on my end. by getting rid of cloak, that means u also have one more ability slot. u can use double take here as dodge chance is pretty powerful right now, or u could use shadow image to get out of sticky situations.

Edited by ninjaguyman on October 5, 2016 2:30AM
    Characters:
    AD breton nb: Shadowshinobi
    DC Altmer magicka nb: merc shot