The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Sorcerer - Quick Fixes for Class - Mage's Fury and Lightning Form

• hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »

1. The crazy damage is actually rather low compared to other executes in PvE. The AoE aspect is useful, but situational. Again, more PvE-suited. For PvP, this execute often fails to kill a target due to low damage, making it very punishing considering you only get your burst off every 4 seconds if you're free to dps without interruption. Executioner for example, is a solid dps move once the scaling has reached a threshold. It is actually almost not-punishing at all, which is why so many people just keep spamming it.
    2. 30k dps or 35k or 50k... It doesn't matter, stamina dps is still higher, maybe a bit riskier. We can debate PvE, but for PvP it is crystal-clear in what a bad spot mag sorcs are. Considering they are naturally designed to be the magical dps class, whereas magblades are the bursters, mag DKs the tanks and magplars the healers, you would expect a larger difference.
    3. Swallow Souls is very efficient and procs a few passives. When's the last time you've seen a DW magsorc in PvP, though? If you don't want to play DW, that's fine, but please let other minds have their builds. As it stands, DW mag sorc is extinct, further reducing diversity and maybe even overall performance.
    4. It's not fine, it is unfinished. It should punish melee attackers to make up for sorc's relative squishiness and low damage output (compared to melee). But it's too weak to do so. we got mines, yeah, but these are stationary, a very bad thing in the fluid group-movement that Cyrodiil is. I strongly believe scrapping mines and buffing Boundless' damage would go a very, very long way to help sorc's lacking mobility, passive defense and low melee-range damage.

Lastly, it doesn't matter how good Thelon is. He (or she?) reacted provided no useful feedback and even repeats this in other threads. You could also be more professional and help the newer players or work with the community towards better balancing..

1. Ill disagree on its damage in PvE, since most PvE fights are AoE so it actually hits really hard when that AoE component as well as the additional implosion procs are accounted for.
    2. Idk man I know many sorcs that PvP and are godly.
    3. DW was never good for PvP. Opening with a fully charged heavy attack into a combo will always be better in PvP.
    4. I mean whether the skill is good is a matter of debate, but when you said lack of mobility and defense on a sorc I had to laugh....umm boundless gives major expedition, you got armor buffs, you got streak, you got shields...are you kidding? Sorc has THE MOST mobility.
    5. I disagree with your assessment, I think the OP has a very skewed ideas as far as sorcs go and reacts very abrasively to criticism of said opinion...

[minor edit to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_CoriJ on September 29, 2016 12:52AM
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tnanever wrote: »
    1) Mage's Fury - One of the weakest attacks in the game, and generally one of the worst executes in the game. I don't see the justification for this. It should be brought in line with other executes. In addition, sorcerer lacks a spammable class attack.

I can see two potential fixes for this. The first idea is to simply raise the base damage, so that it makes up for the weakness of the execute aspect, and at the same time, gives sorcs a moderately good spammable attack. The second idea is to raise the execute threshold to put it on par with most other executes. At 20%, the threshold is simply too low. Perhaps 35% would be more reasonable, so that it can compete with Radiant Destruction or Reverse Slash, which both have execute thresholds starting at 50%.

2) Lightning Form - Sorcs have no "melee" spells, which makes it unfairly penalized when it comes to melee procs. I think both morphs should count as "melee", at least if the target is within 5 meters, so that sorcs have a class skill that can trigger melee procs. If not this spell, then at least one other spammable class skill should count as melee, so that sorc skills aren't locked out of melee procs.

I don't think you understand the sorcerer class at all.
    1. The execute could be raised to 25%, but that's about the only change that would be permissable. It is OP. Not only does it do crazy damage it also has an AoE component. On top of it you have enough a class passive execute that procs on all lightning damage...this is huge!!!
    2. You are aware that sorcs (if played right) are the highest magicka dps class at the moment in PvE? In PvP the same rule applies.
    3. Sorcs don't need a spammable. Nightblades have one and they don't even use it because of how good force pulse is.
    4. Boundless Storm is fine. It's a skill that deals decent AoE damage for having such a long duration and provides incredible utility.

I don't think you understand the topic at all.

1) So yes, you agree with me that the execute threshold could be raised. I go further and say it should be raised - either way, you wouldn't object. Also, the AoE component isn't worth talking about, except on trash mobs that you could've killed easily with any other AoE in the first place.

2) Having the highest DPS in PvE or PvP, even if true, is irrelevant. If Sorc was an overpowered god-class that beat everyone at everything, but had one attack skill that costs 5000 mana for 1 damage....then that skill needs to be strengthened. Period. Other problems regarding balance can be argued as well, but that doesn't negate the problem with the bad skill.

3) I didn't say Sorcs needed a spammable. I said they don't have one, and promoted the idea that they should have one. Obviously sorcs can be played without one.

4) You're another person with poor reading comprehension. I never said Lightning Form was too weak. The entire point was that sorc skills needed a way to proc melee bonuses - every other class has this. Lightning Form was one suggestion on how to allow that. Why do you people keep bringing up irrelevant spam about that point?

1) You say should I say could, to this ill agree to disagree. Also Implosion...dont forget about that.

2) The problem with this point is that its invalid. the skill does great damage and works well in both PvE and PvP.

3) Sorcs do not need one and in general class spammables take away from weapon lines. A synergy between the two is best. I would take another sorc DoT over a sorc spammable any day.

4) Cutie pie Sorcs have plenty as is. To ask for additional buffs to skills that are already very strong implies that you do not know how to play that class well.

I'll make this simple. It's a fact that, if you could, you would switch your Mage's Fury with Radiant Destruction right now. You would love to have a 50% threshold execute that can not be dodged. You're fighting tooth and claw against me just because you have some strange world view that you're the defender of the status quo, regarding this Sorcerer class in a video game called Elder Scrolls Online. Dude, get a life.

People like you are so predictable. I can almost bet money that you're thinking of ways to continue to combat me, without sounding dumb, that Mage's Fury is better than Radiant Destruction, and you'd rather keep Mage's Fury. I'm looking forward to that comedic spectacle of a post.

Ill make this plain and simple NO *** id switch Mage's Fury for Radiant, but that would make sorcs stupidly OP. Radiant is the MagPlar's saving grace. have you played one before they added the skill? I have...low damage in PvP and especially in PvE...no one wanted to dps with one because they were horrible.

Each class has certain strengths. DKs have no execute AT ALL and yet they seem to do ok, because they are DoT focused. (Obviously not in PvP though)
  • tnanever
    tnanever
    ✭✭✭
    1) Mage's Fury - One of the weakest attacks in the game, and generally one of the worst executes in the game. I don't see the justification for this. It should be brought in line with other executes. In addition, sorcerer lacks a spammable class attack.

I can see two potential fixes for this. The first idea is to simply raise the base damage, so that it makes up for the weakness of the execute aspect, and at the same time, gives sorcs a moderately good spammable attack. The second idea is to raise the execute threshold to put it on par with most other executes. At 20%, the threshold is simply too low. Perhaps 35% would be more reasonable, so that it can compete with Radiant Destruction or Reverse Slash, which both have execute thresholds starting at 50%.

2) Lightning Form - Sorcs have no "melee" spells, which makes it unfairly penalized when it comes to melee procs. I think both morphs should count as "melee", at least if the target is within 5 meters, so that sorcs have a class skill that can trigger melee procs. If not this spell, then at least one other spammable class skill should count as melee, so that sorc skills aren't locked out of melee procs.

1. The execute could be raised to 25%, but that's about the only change that would be permissable. It is OP. Not only does it do crazy damage it also has an AoE component. On top of it you have enough a class passive execute that procs on all lightning damage...this is huge!!!
    2. You are aware that sorcs (if played right) are the highest magicka dps class at the moment in PvE? In PvP the same rule applies.
    3. Sorcs don't need a spammable. Nightblades have one and they don't even use it because of how good force pulse is.
    4. Boundless Storm is fine. It's a skill that deals decent AoE damage for having such a long duration and provides incredible utility.

1) So yes, you agree with me that the execute threshold could be raised. I go further and say it should be raised - either way, you wouldn't object. Also, the AoE component isn't worth talking about, except on trash mobs that you could've killed easily with any other AoE in the first place.

2) Having the highest DPS in PvE or PvP, even if true, is irrelevant. If Sorc was an overpowered god-class that beat everyone at everything, but had one attack skill that costs 5000 mana for 1 damage....then that skill needs to be strengthened. Period. Other problems regarding balance can be argued as well, but that doesn't negate the problem with the bad skill.

3) I didn't say Sorcs needed a spammable. I said they don't have one, and promoted the idea that they should have one. Obviously sorcs can be played without one.

4) You're another person with poor reading comprehension. I never said Lightning Form was too weak. The entire point was that sorc skills needed a way to proc melee bonuses - every other class has this. Lightning Form was one suggestion on how to allow that. Why do you people keep bringing up irrelevant spam about that point?

1) You say should I say could, to this ill agree to disagree. Also Implosion...dont forget about that.

2) The problem with this point is that its invalid. the skill does great damage and works well in both PvE and PvP.

3) Sorcs do not need one and in general class spammables take away from weapon lines. A synergy between the two is best. I would take another sorc DoT over a sorc spammable any day.

4) Cutie pie Sorcs have plenty as is. To ask for additional buffs to skills that are already very strong implies that you do not know how to play that class well.

I'll make this simple. It's a fact that, if you could, you would switch your Mage's Fury with Radiant Destruction right now. You would love to have a 50% threshold execute that can not be dodged. You're fighting tooth and claw against me just because you have some strange world view that you're the defender of the status quo, regarding this Sorcerer class in a video game called Elder Scrolls Online. Dude, get a life.

People like you are so predictable. I can almost bet money that you're thinking of ways to continue to combat me, without sounding dumb, that Mage's Fury is better than Radiant Destruction, and you'd rather keep Mage's Fury. I'm looking forward to that comedic spectacle of a post.

Ill make this plain and simple NO *** id switch Mage's Fury for Radiant, but that would make sorcs stupidly OP. Radiant is the MagPlar's saving grace. have you played one before they added the skill? I have...low damage in PvP and especially in PvE...no one wanted to dps with one because they were horrible.

Each class has certain strengths. DKs have no execute AT ALL and yet they seem to do ok, because they are DoT focused. (Obviously not in PvP though)

Then you do agree after all. You believe Radiant Destruction is a huge outlier for you to say that.

The real issue, then, is that magicka-based Templar is too weak in general, without the crutch of a single overpowered skill. I could agree to that - weaken the overpowered execute, and boost other areas as necessary.

I would be fine with all other classes/executes being brought in line to match Sorc, instead of Sorc's execute being pitifully weak compared to others.
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Nah mate, it you're the one telling people (who clearly understand the potential of Mages Fury more than you do) to go roll a sorcerer. hedna is a theory crafting master and I'd seriously listen to him. Thelon is one of the best mage sorcerers in PvP nowadays. [snip]

[edited for sniping]
    Edited by ZOS_CoriJ on September 29, 2016 12:48AM
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Nah I'm happy with this execute as it is. Sure it could be better. But there's also Implosion. If we get RD, then we'd have to give up Implosion.

[minor edit to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_CoriJ on September 29, 2016 1:17AM
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »

1. The crazy damage is actually rather low compared to other executes in PvE. The AoE aspect is useful, but situational. Again, more PvE-suited. For PvP, this execute often fails to kill a target due to low damage, making it very punishing considering you only get your burst off every 4 seconds if you're free to dps without interruption. Executioner for example, is a solid dps move once the scaling has reached a threshold. It is actually almost not-punishing at all, which is why so many people just keep spamming it.
    2. 30k dps or 35k or 50k... It doesn't matter, stamina dps is still higher, maybe a bit riskier. We can debate PvE, but for PvP it is crystal-clear in what a bad spot mag sorcs are. Considering they are naturally designed to be the magical dps class, whereas magblades are the bursters, mag DKs the tanks and magplars the healers, you would expect a larger difference.
    3. Swallow Souls is very efficient and procs a few passives. When's the last time you've seen a DW magsorc in PvP, though? If you don't want to play DW, that's fine, but please let other minds have their builds. As it stands, DW mag sorc is extinct, further reducing diversity and maybe even overall performance.
    4. It's not fine, it is unfinished. It should punish melee attackers to make up for sorc's relative squishiness and low damage output (compared to melee). But it's too weak to do so. we got mines, yeah, but these are stationary, a very bad thing in the fluid group-movement that Cyrodiil is. I strongly believe scrapping mines and buffing Boundless' damage would go a very, very long way to help sorc's lacking mobility, passive defense and low melee-range damage.

Lastly, it doesn't matter how good Thelon is. He (or she?) reacted immature, provided no useful feedback and even repeats this in other threads. Instead of just amusing yourselves, you oh so great ESO gods, you could also be more professional and help the newer players or work with the community towards better balancing. Because -SPOILERS!- even Thelron will be eaten alive by a competent stamina player as it is right now. And instead of trying to fix this, he/she's just playing jerk. Not the way to go, not at all.

1. Ill disagree on its damage in PvE, since most PvE fights are AoE so it actually hits really hard when that AoE component as well as the additional implosion procs are accounted for.
    2. Idk man I know many sorcs that PvP and are godly.
    3. DW was never good for PvP. Opening with a fully charged heavy attack into a combo will always be better in PvP.
    4. I mean whether the skill is good is a matter of debate, but when you said lack of mobility and defense on a sorc I had to laugh....umm boundless gives major expedition, you got armor buffs, you got streak, you got shields...are you kidding? Sorc has THE MOST mobility.
    5. I disagree with your assessment, I think the OP has a very skewed ideas as far as sorcs go and reacts very abrasively to criticism of said opinion...

"Sorc has THE MOST mobiliity" - LOL. I suppose gap closers are fixed in your version of the game?

You have Major expedition and streak do you want me to teach you how to use them?
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Then you do agree after all. You believe Radiant Destruction is a huge outlier for you to say that.

The real issue, then, is that magicka-based Templar is too weak in general, without the crutch of a single overpowered skill. I could agree to that - weaken the overpowered execute, and boost other areas as necessary.

I would be fine with all other classes/executes being brought in line to match Sorc, instead of Sorc's execute being pitifully weak compared to others.

But thats the point...its NOT SUPPOSED TO ALL FEEL THE SAME. You have a magplar who has lower damage than other classes pre execute and then high damage at execute, or you have a DK who has high damage through out but no execute...its a different class it SHOULD feel different.
  • tnanever
    tnanever
    ✭✭✭

But thats the point...its NOT SUPPOSED TO ALL FEEL THE SAME. You have a magplar who has lower damage than other classes pre execute and then high damage at execute, or you have a DK who has high damage through out but no execute...its a different class it SHOULD feel different.

There are a million ways to make classes feel different than giving one class a relatively pathetic execute. Templar already feels different with the superior healing, melee and cleansing abilities. Sorcs have nothing like that - they have teleports, traps, pets, and other things. A poor execute is just icing on the cake of bad design.
  • ZOS_GregoryV
    Greetings all,

While we are glad to see members making use of forums, we regret to inform you all that this thread has been closed due to all of the unnecessary back and forth. While we understand that not everyone may have the same view as each other, that is no reason to bait, or even flame, other members of the community.

Please be aware that future violations of the Community Rules may result in the temporary suspension or permanent deactivation of your access to the ESO forums. Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.