Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Sorcerer - Quick Fixes for Class - Mage's Fury and Lightning Form

tnanever
tnanever
✭✭✭
1) Mage's Fury - One of the weakest attacks in the game, and generally one of the worst executes in the game. I don't see the justification for this. It should be brought in line with other executes. In addition, sorcerer lacks a spammable class attack.

I can see two potential fixes for this. The first idea is to simply raise the base damage, so that it makes up for the weakness of the execute aspect, and at the same time, gives sorcs a moderately good spammable attack. The second idea is to raise the execute threshold to put it on par with most other executes. At 20%, the threshold is simply too low. Perhaps 35% would be more reasonable, so that it can compete with Radiant Destruction or Reverse Slash, which both have execute thresholds starting at 50%.

2) Lightning Form - Sorcs have no "melee" spells, which makes it unfairly penalized when it comes to melee procs. I think both morphs should count as "melee", at least if the target is within 5 meters, so that sorcs have a class skill that can trigger melee procs. If not this spell, then at least one other spammable class skill should count as melee, so that sorc skills aren't locked out of melee procs.
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tnanever wrote: »
    1) Mage's Fury - One of the weakest attacks in the game

1bfpe8.gif
  • tnanever
    tnanever
    ✭✭✭
    Thelon, you must be new to the game. Make your first character, a sorcerer, and then check the damage numbers of Mage's Fury against all other attack skills. Thanks.
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thelon, you must be new to the game. Make your first character, a sorcerer, and then check the damage numbers of Mage's Fury against all other attack skills. Thanks.

It's a delayed execute ffs...
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
  • tnanever
    tnanever
    ✭✭✭

Yes, it's an execute. It's a very weak execute. I don't think you even read my post.
  • iam117
    iam117
    ✭✭✭
    its fine, if anything it should be bumped to 25% with no increase to dmg. wrath+implosion is really good. @Thelon new to game.......roll a sorc.........lol that is hilarious.
    <Liv3mind>
    <PC/NA - Legion Of The Bloodworks>
    Snowflake Patrol
  • tnanever
    tnanever
    ✭✭✭
    iam117 wrote: »
    its fine, if anything it should be bumped to 25% with no increase to dmg. wrath+implosion is really good. @Thelon new to game.......roll a sorc.........lol that is hilarious.

[snip]I'm glad you agree with me that Mage's Fury is too weak, and that the execute threshold should be increased.

[edited for insult]
    Edited by ZOS_CoriJ on September 29, 2016 1:11AM
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it's an execute. It's a very weak execute. I don't think you even read my post.

I did read your post. The skill is fine, no need to buff it only to set up Sorcs for another round of nerfs. So I'll take the skill like it is tyvm.
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
  • tnanever
    tnanever
    ✭✭✭

I did read your post. The skill is fine, no need to buff it only to set up Sorcs for another round of nerfs. So I'll take the skill like it is tyvm.

Nope, it's not fine. If your justification is "only to set up Sorcs for another round of nerfs", then your real complaint is with the devs. You should yell at Wrobel about that. You should also complain to the devs that the other executes are so much better, and should be brought in line (hint: Radiant Destruction).
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Guessing you haven't played a sorc for very long. Almost a year since I made my magicka sorc (also my main), and she's one hard-hitting lizard. I do wish Mage's Wrath gets a buff, like from 20% health to 25 or 30% health for the execute to take effect. It still does its job though, especially in PVP. If a player drops down to 20% health while a mage's wrath is on em, they're toast.
    And Lightning Form and its morphs are all good deeps, and Hurricane was a great buff for stam sorcs. Boundless Storm could use a lil buff, but all-in-all, they're still good skills.
    And before you say anything about pets, my Clannfear is a good self-heal, and it's a good meat shield in duels.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • iam117
    iam117
    ✭✭✭
    his post wasnothing if not insightful into the fact that even if wrath gets no change, it still hits very hard. in pve i have had 35k wrath ticks and 26k implosion ticks, averages are 26k and 19k respectively, how is that weak.
    <Liv3mind>
    Snowflake Patrol
  • tnanever
    tnanever
    ✭✭✭
    Guessing you haven't played a sorc for very long. Almost a year since I made my magicka sorc (also my main), and she's one hard-hitting lizard. I do wish Mage's Wrath gets a buff, like from 20% health to 25 or 30% health for the execute to take effect. It still does its job though, especially in PVP. If a player drops down to 20% health while a mage's wrath is on em, they're toast.
    And Lightning Form and its morphs are all good deeps, and Hurricane was a great buff for stam sorcs. Boundless Storm could use a lil buff, but all-in-all, they're still good skills.
    And before you say anything about pets, my Clannfear is a good self-heal, and it's a good meat shield in duels.

I started playing in beta, but our experience is really irrelevant in this discussion, and you should know that if you spent time thinking about your post.

The only relevant thing, regarding Mage's Fury, is how unjustifiably weak it is compared to other executes. That doesn't mean the skill is unusable or that it's not worth using. It just means it's significantly weaker than comparable alternatives, and it should be brought up to match (or others brought down - I'm sure there would be less complaints about radiant destruction if that happened).

Regarding lightning form - I never said the skill wasn't good. Please learn to comprehend posts before replying to them.
  • tnanever
    tnanever
    ✭✭✭
    his post wasnothing if not insightful into the fact that even if wrath gets no change, it still hits very hard. in pve i have had 35k wrath ticks and 26k implosion ticks, averages are 26k and 19k respectively, how is that weak.

Pay attention - I never said the skill was weak when the actual execute happens. I specifically referred to the threshold, which is simply too low when compared to other executes.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish it had a bigger range. I mean it's hard to get a vamp to 20% when their undead is practically in full swing (just an example)

The damage portion is fine.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • iam117
    iam117
    ✭✭✭

Pay attention - I never said the skill was weak when the actual execute happens. I specifically referred to the threshold, which is simply too low when compared to other executes.

pay attention?i never once stated you did, nor did i say it needed a buff in dmg, what i did state is that even if they do not move the threshhold up it still hits hard. and on trials where long boss fights are common, its still strong as is.
    <Liv3mind>
    Snowflake Patrol
  • tnanever
    tnanever
    ✭✭✭
    i never once stated you did, nor did i say it needed a buff in dmg, what i did state is that even if they do not move the threshhold up it still hits hard. and on trials where long boss fights are common, its still strong as is.

[snip]
    Why in the world would you argue that the skill's execution hits hard, unless you are implying that I said it didn't hit hard? The execution threshold has literally nothing to do with how hard the execution portion hits. [snip]

[edited for insult/baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_CoriJ on September 29, 2016 1:05AM
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've thought about making Fury a spammable dps before and decided it would be a bad idea. The game is set up to timing your burst moves, including your execution. Having your main attack move also automatically apply the execute would break combat... and also make it more boring.

The execute range needs to be increased, definitely. To 25%, and this should be the case for EVERY execute. Not 50%, not 20%, 25%. This is a pretty sweet spot where you still have to time precisely, but you would still get better results than attacking with your normal dps move.

The spammable dps move sorcerers need is an obvious one, really:
    Magic Arrow.
    It's crazy how something so fundamental and basic isn't in this game. It should be ranged, magical or tri-elemental. But above all, it should be non-reflectable. In fact, only heavy hitters like Frags or Focused Aim should be reflectable, to not render ranged dps completely obsolete and force you to use wings precisely, contrary to the current all-negating wings situation (not mentioning glitches when wings fail).

But in the end, even if we had a spammable (which we definitely should), it wouldn't be too competitive, since you're lacking ranged light attack weaving. It would work for a DW sorc who carefully picks engagements and uses terrain for kiting. Yeah, which is at the moment more or less impossible thanks to gapclosers.
    What we really need is a buff to staves, in all brutal honesty. I can't spell it more clearly than this, staves are TRASH! It is unfair how DW and 2H are treated in regards to our lumpy sticks. Staves should provide as much spell damage as 2H does for weapon, and both 2H and staves should grant you an offhand glove-type of armor that lets you get an additional set bonus. Only then will we have balance.
  • tnanever
    tnanever
    ✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »
    I've thought about making Fury a spammable dps before and decided it would be a bad idea. The game is set up to timing your burst moves, including your execution. Having your main attack move also automatically apply the execute would break combat... and also make it more boring.

The execute range needs to be increased, definitely. To 25%, and this should be the case for EVERY execute. Not 50%, not 20%, 25%. This is a pretty sweet spot where you still have to time precisely, but you would still get better results than attacking with your normal dps move.

I agree. I would also be fine with other executes being brought down to be in line with Mage's Fury. Currently, this is not the case. It's much too easy to spam other executes as main attacks, whether from class or weapon skills.

An easier fix would simply be to improve Fury to match other executes, but again, I'd be happy either way they fix this issue.

Also, I mostly agree with the rest of your post.
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) Mage's Fury - One of the weakest attacks in the game, and generally one of the worst executes in the game. I don't see the justification for this. It should be brought in line with other executes. In addition, sorcerer lacks a spammable class attack.

I can see two potential fixes for this. The first idea is to simply raise the base damage, so that it makes up for the weakness of the execute aspect, and at the same time, gives sorcs a moderately good spammable attack. The second idea is to raise the execute threshold to put it on par with most other executes. At 20%, the threshold is simply too low. Perhaps 35% would be more reasonable, so that it can compete with Radiant Destruction or Reverse Slash, which both have execute thresholds starting at 50%.

2) Lightning Form - Sorcs have no "melee" spells, which makes it unfairly penalized when it comes to melee procs. I think both morphs should count as "melee", at least if the target is within 5 meters, so that sorcs have a class skill that can trigger melee procs. If not this spell, then at least one other spammable class skill should count as melee, so that sorc skills aren't locked out of melee procs.

I don't think you understand the sorcerer class at all.
    1. The execute could be raised to 25%, but that's about the only change that would be permissable. It is OP. Not only does it do crazy damage it also has an AoE component. On top of it you have enough a class passive execute that procs on all lightning damage...this is huge!!!
    2. You are aware that sorcs (if played right) are the highest magicka dps class at the moment in PvE? In PvP the same rule applies.
    3. Sorcs don't need a spammable. Nightblades have one and they don't even use it because of how good force pulse is.
    4. Boundless Storm is fine. It's a skill that deals decent AoE damage for having such a long duration and provides incredible utility.
    Edited by hedna123b14_ESO on September 28, 2016 10:04PM
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »

I agree. I would also be fine with other executes being brought down to be in line with Mage's Fury. Currently, this is not the case. It's much too easy to spam other executes as main attacks, whether from class or weapon skills.

An easier fix would simply be to improve Fury to match other executes, but again, I'd be happy either way they fix this issue.

Also, I mostly agree with the rest of your post.

Thank you! =)
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad you agree with me that Mage's Fury is too weak, and that the execute threshold should be increased.

The strength of wrath is in the delayed execute. Buffing the damage of this skill would almost require removing the delay blast execute. This would put us in a really bad place as a class.

The wrath proc is the only way we can take down a cancer malubeth reactive Templar, or a stam spamming their rally/vigor. Our enemies have heals running *constantly*. We only need to drop them to 20% ONCE with wrath on them, and we win.

Please... Thelon. He's one of the best Sorcs out there. He knows his stuff...

[minor edit for quote]
    Edited by ZOS_CoriJ on September 29, 2016 1:06AM
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lastly, if we need a spammable so badly. Why don't we ask them to buff destro staff?

Reduce the costs of reach and crushing shock.
    Increase the damage slightly on those abilities.
    Improve the elemental proc rates and effects.
    Make crushing shock non- reflectable, it's a beam not a projectile.

Staff should be on par with bow abilities, but it's not.
    Edited by Minalan on September 28, 2016 10:32PM
  • iam117
    iam117
    ✭✭✭
    Why in the world would you argue that the skill's execution hits hard, unless you are implying that I said it didn't hit hard? The execution threshold has literally nothing to do with how hard the execution portion hits.

how nice of you. my most humble apologies then. you have won the interwebs this day. and yes the damage is currently good enough, no thats not the argument im making. and yes the threshold is good enough as well, would it be nice to see in increased to 25% yes, but that would likely make it in combination with implosion much to powerful. power creep for days. i think the key to that hapening would either need a reduction in damage or a change in implosion which would be unfair to stam sorcs. or a complete rework of the skill, again no really nessacary. its good in pve and pvp as is. you could up the threshold, but not without changing the passive.

your arguing for a change that will inherently make the skill stronger and even the pve guys are coming to say dont do it, that should tell you something.

[minor edit for quote]
    Edited by ZOS_CoriJ on September 29, 2016 1:04AM
    <Liv3mind>
    Snowflake Patrol
  • tnanever
    tnanever
    ✭✭✭

1. The execute could be raised to 25%, but that's about the only change that would be permissable. It is OP. Not only does it do crazy damage it also has an AoE component. On top of it you have enough a class passive execute that procs on all lightning damage...this is huge!!!
    2. You are aware that sorcs (if played right) are the highest magicka dps class at the moment in PvE? In PvP the same rule applies.
    3. Sorcs don't need a spammable. Nightblades have one and they don't even use it because of how good force pulse is.
    4. Boundless Storm is fine. It's a skill that deals decent AoE damage for having such a long duration and provides incredible utility.

I don't think you understand the topic at all.

1) So yes, you agree with me that the execute threshold could be raised. I go further and say it should be raised - either way, you wouldn't object. Also, the AoE component isn't worth talking about, except on trash mobs that you could've killed easily with any other AoE in the first place.

2) Having the highest DPS in PvE or PvP, even if true, is irrelevant. If Sorc was an overpowered god-class that beat everyone at everything, but had one attack skill that costs 5000 mana for 1 damage....then that skill needs to be strengthened. Period. Other problems regarding balance can be argued as well, but that doesn't negate the problem with the bad skill.

3) I didn't say Sorcs needed a spammable. I said they don't have one, and promoted the idea that they should have one. Obviously sorcs can be played without one.

4) I never said Lightning Form was too weak. The entire point was that sorc skills needed a way to proc melee bonuses - every other class has this. Lightning Form was one suggestion on how to allow that. [snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_CoriJ on September 29, 2016 12:57AM
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems reasonable that the 4s execute window justifies having a lower execute range. Just boost the base damage a "smidgen" - like maybe 5% - and leave everything else as is.
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm glad you agree with me that Mage's Fury is too weak, and that the execute threshold should be increased.

Dude... Thelon is a beast sorc... Who uses Endless Fury as a spammable... And who kicks more ass than a lot of other sorcerers. But the execute isn't weak though. Hits just as hard as Overload. The reason for the threshold being so low is that you apply it to your target before it is at 20%, when the target is at or below 20% its pretty much insta death in PvP (its also undodgeable). In PvE the 5% is a bit of a difference but it is an AoE execute unlike Radiant or Impale which are purely single target. Also its the only execute that currently scales well with the Minor Slayer bonus. Executioner/Reverse Slice aren't used in PvE. The AoE component is stronger for sure, but it cannot be used at range.

Lightning form could use a range buff to be more in line with Hurricane... My suggestion is a charge up attack that happens every 5 seconds (like the Queens Bodyguard in Stage 3 of vMA) with a 9 meter radius.

EDIT: Also stop being so insulting to every one who likes Mages Fury as it is. You are the one who needs to "use raw mental powers" to understand that everyone has their own opinion on everything. Just because you don't like the execute sorcerers have doesn't mean its crap. DKs don't even have an execute.

EDIT 2: I think you underestimate the AoE component of this execute... Ever done any trials? When you have a mob next to a boss, you keep your DPS up on the boss while executing those mobs (think the hulk in MoL). Sure its not really noticeable, but its still a fact and you cannot neglect that fact.

[minor edit for quote]
    Edited by ZOS_CoriJ on September 29, 2016 1:01AM
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Edited by hedna123b14_ESO on September 28, 2016 6:04PM

1. The crazy damage is actually rather low compared to other executes in PvE. The AoE aspect is useful, but situational. Again, more PvE-suited. For PvP, this execute often fails to kill a target due to low damage, making it very punishing considering you only get your burst off every 4 seconds if you're free to dps without interruption. Executioner for example, is a solid dps move once the scaling has reached a threshold. It is actually almost not-punishing at all, which is why so many people just keep spamming it.
    2. 30k dps or 35k or 50k... It doesn't matter, stamina dps is still higher, maybe a bit riskier. We can debate PvE, but for PvP it is crystal-clear in what a bad spot mag sorcs are. Considering they are naturally designed to be the magical dps class, whereas magblades are the bursters, mag DKs the tanks and magplars the healers, you would expect a larger difference.
    3. Swallow Souls is very efficient and procs a few passives. When's the last time you've seen a DW magsorc in PvP, though? If you don't want to play DW, that's fine, but please let other minds have their builds. As it stands, DW mag sorc is extinct, further reducing diversity and maybe even overall performance.
    4. It's not fine, it is unfinished. It should punish melee attackers to make up for sorc's relative squishiness and low damage output (compared to melee). But it's too weak to do so. we got mines, yeah, but these are stationary, a very bad thing in the fluid group-movement that Cyrodiil is. I strongly believe scrapping mines and buffing Boundless' damage would go a very, very long way to help sorc's lacking mobility, passive defense and low melee-range damage.

Lastly, it doesn't matter how good Thelon is. He (or she?) reacted provided no useful feedback and even repeats this in other threads. You could also be more professional and help the newer players or work with the community towards better balancing.

[edited for insult]
    Edited by ZOS_CoriJ on September 29, 2016 12:54AM
  • tnanever
    tnanever
    ✭✭✭

Dude... Thelon is a beast sorc... Who uses Endless Fury as a spammable... And who kicks more ass than a lot of other sorcerers. But the execute isn't weak though. Hits just as hard as Overload. The reason for the threshold being so low is that you apply it to your target before it is at 20%, when the target is at or below 20% its pretty much insta death in PvP (its also undodgeable). In PvE the 5% is a bit of a difference but it is an AoE execute unlike Radiant or Impale which are purely single target. Executioner is not used in PvE at all, so don't bring up the argument that the splash damage is way higher.

Lightning form could use a range buff to be more in line with Hurricane... My suggestion is a charge up attack that happens every 5 seconds (like the Queens Bodyguard in Stage 3 of vMA) with a 9 meter radius.
    [snip]

You talk about Mage's Fury as if it's unique in killing fast or instantly at < 20% health. Right, just like all other executes. It's not as if Reverse Slash or Radiant can't kill in one or two hits/ticks too. Mage's Fury simply doesn't have any advantage there to make up for the very low 20% threshold.

Regarding the Lightning Form comment - I never said anything about the skill being too strong or too weak. That has nothing to do whatsoever with my post. [snip]

[edited for insult]
    Edited by ZOS_CoriJ on September 29, 2016 1:00AM
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Minalan wrote: »
    Lastly, if we need a spammable so badly. Why don't we ask them to buff destro staff?

Reduce the costs of reach and crushing shock.
    Increase the damage slightly on those abilities.
    Improve the elemental proc rates and effects.
    Make crushing shock non- reflectable, it's a beam not a projectile.

Staff should be on par with bow abilities, but it's not.

THIS
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1) So yes, you agree with me that the execute threshold could be raised. I go further and say it should be raised - either way, you wouldn't object. Also, the AoE component isn't worth talking about, except on trash mobs that you could've killed easily with any other AoE in the first place.

2) Having the highest DPS in PvE or PvP, even if true, is irrelevant. If Sorc was an overpowered god-class that beat everyone at everything, but had one attack skill that costs 5000 mana for 1 damage....then that skill needs to be strengthened. Period. Other problems regarding balance can be argued as well, but that doesn't negate the problem with the bad skill.

3) I didn't say Sorcs needed a spammable. I said they don't have one, and promoted the idea that they should have one. Obviously sorcs can be played without one.

4) I never said Lightning Form was too weak. The entire point was that sorc skills needed a way to proc melee bonuses - every other class has this. Lightning Form was one suggestion on how to allow that.

1) You say should I say could, to this ill agree to disagree. Also Implosion...dont forget about that.

2) The problem with this point is that its invalid. the skill does great damage and works well in both PvE and PvP.

3) Sorcs do not need one and in general class spammables take away from weapon lines. A synergy between the two is best. I would take another sorc DoT over a sorc spammable any day.

4) Cutie pie Sorcs have plenty as is. To ask for additional buffs to skills that are already very strong implies that you do not know how to play that class well.

[minor edit for quote]
    Edited by ZOS_CoriJ on September 29, 2016 12:58AM
  • tnanever
    tnanever
    ✭✭✭

4) You're another person with poor reading comprehension. I never said Lightning Form was too weak. The entire point was that sorc skills needed a way to proc melee bonuses - every other class has this. Lightning Form was one suggestion on how to allow that. Why do you people keep bringing up irrelevant spam about that point?

1) You say should I say could, to this ill agree to disagree. Also Implosion...dont forget about that.

2) The problem with this point is that its invalid. the skill does great damage and works well in both PvE and PvP.

3) Sorcs do not need one and in general class spammables take away from weapon lines. A synergy between the two is best. I would take another sorc DoT over a sorc spammable any day.

4) Cutie pie Sorcs have plenty as is. To ask for additional buffs to skills that are already very strong implies that you do not know how to play that class well.

I'll make this simple. It's a fact that, if you could, you would switch your Mage's Fury with Radiant Destruction right now. You would love to have a 50% threshold execute that can not be dodged. You're fighting tooth and claw against me just because you have some strange world view that you're the defender of the status quo, regarding this Sorcerer class in a video game called Elder Scrolls Online.

[snip]

[edited for baiting/insult]
    Edited by ZOS_CoriJ on September 29, 2016 12:55AM
This discussion has been closed.