Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you buy a crown store item purely because its 'limited edition'

Suter1972
Suter1972
✭✭✭✭
Just noting the new lizard thing and infernal adder on crown store and they are 4 days only. Would this 'limited' time make you purchase an item. Even if its not on your initial 'wish list'
Edited by Suter1972 on September 23, 2016 8:42AM
Was - Breton DC ( GIRL - Guy In Real Life toon) Magika Templar Healer/ 5-8 trait Crafter - currently CP290 and learning now starting again on xbox…...

xbox suter1972 - Character name - Hota Woskeef

Xbox EU ESO+ Mature (40+) UK casual gamer

Do you buy a crown store item purely because its 'limited edition' 127 votes

Yes - if its limited edition i am more likely to buy it
18%
KhajitFurTraderPhuzareyouprofessionalub17_ESOLuminoxayloxub17_ESOGalirandusJa50nXThaumicSilentFox22LegolessTheSpinDragonSamurai360BlutengelRunsMerkzM8xellinkTheSwanKingMarkusLibertyLucidxNightmareXDuchessofArkhamxX 23 votes
No - if i didnt want it, making it limited edition does not change my mind
81%
Nestorlaurajfwayfarerxvailjohn_ESOSlurgMojmirAvidsparkGrekhHanokihsWhiteCoatSyndromeAnnraKlemenziusb16_ESOIruil_ESODanikatEnodocAlienSlofKhenarthiKranderHPhica_LovicAbeille 104 votes
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't, but shoving 'limited time' will be a potent selling strategy. Lots of people will buy these things because of the limited time placed on them whereas most of those people would pass them up if it was an everyday item.
  • Asmael
    Asmael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The only "limited edition" item I bought was the Dro'm-athra senche, but I was dead set on having it and the vMoL skin.

Now I haz both, I'm finally a walking neon. This is friggin' glorious.
    macho_man_neon_by_aschell-d3h04bp.jpg
    Edited by Asmael on September 23, 2016 8:51AM
    PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
    Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't buy things just because they're limited edition. I've been online numerous times when a limited-time mount or pet was on sale and haven't gotten it because I didn't like it. In fact I think the only one I've got is the clouded leopard senche, and that's because clouded leopards are my favourite big cat.

But if there's one I like but I'm not 100% sure of making it limited time can increase the probability I'll buy it. For example when the crown store first launched I kept looking at the pony guar and rooster guar. I liked them but I felt like I had enough 'lizard' pets, but I kept looking at them and debating getting them. That could easily have gone on forever (I'm still debating whether I want a guar mount) but when it was announced they would be removed I bought both because I didn't want to lose my chance and then decide I wanted them. (It also helps that they dropped the price, so it was lower "risk" to buy them.)

It's the same with the new mount. I like it but it doesn't suit any of my characters and they already have a mount each, so I have no reason to buy it. But I'm thinking about making an "evil" character to play through the stuff my normal ones wouldn't do (like the murder achievements) and it might be perfect for them...or not, I haven't finished designing them yet.

In this case however the danger for ZOS is I won't get it now because it's not the right time for me to make the decision and then when I do want it I won't have the option to buy it, and then they don't get my money.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    for sure the "limited"-ness is not a deciding factor for me at all, but the fact if I like something or not.

I wanted the Demon wolf mount, but missed the "limited" timeframe, damn, I want it back!!!
  • The Uninvited
    The Uninvited
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought some of them because they fitted my character, others not so much. It all depends, I guess.
    Pandora's Promise (rip) | LND | Pactriotic | IKnowWhatUDidLastWinter's | The Uninvited |

Ride the paranoia | All life is pain | Only the grave is real
  • Suter1972
    Suter1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think is purely a sales tactic to send those 50/50 people into spending crowns. ZOS aren’t alone, its standard practise across all retail, its just a shame that ZOS feel the need to do this when all the work is done. Im not sure why any digital product needs to be limited edition for any other reason that ‘I don’t want to miss out’….
    Was - Breton DC ( GIRL - Guy In Real Life toon) Magika Templar Healer/ 5-8 trait Crafter - currently CP290 and learning now starting again on xbox…...

• Bryanonymous
    Bryanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I would buy something right away if it was limited edition... And I actually wanted it.

However all these limited edition pushes are made to exploit the OCD addict collectors. Kind of sick, imo.
    Edited by Bryanonymous on September 23, 2016 9:35AM
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pets can't be used in Cyrodiil (unless they're bugged), so the Sap Adder wouldn't give me much bang for my buck. No point buying it if I'll never see it.
  • MarkusLiberty
    MarkusLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I'm looking to buy a camel, or a senche for my character, I'm more interested in picking up a limited reskin than the basic version that will always be available in the store.

Usually because the limited versions are more interesting looking, thought I admit it is also kind of cool owning a mount that isn't so easaly avalible.

I'm also only buying mounts and costumes that fits my character's appearance, culture/race or occupation. I imagien a lot of people do the same.

So yes, I do buy stuff because they are limited, but I don't buy a whole lot of them.
    *Special Snowflake*

• Suter1972
    Suter1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    @MarkusLiberty

I get this ^^. I can understand why someone is wanting a lizard mount and up pops a limited glowing red lizard so they choose that one instead.

What I meant by the OP was if you never factored on getting a lizard mount or wolf or whatever but one came up on CS as ‘limited edition’, would that make you buy it.

• Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy it if it looks good on any of my characters. I almost bought the Nord Hero costume because, while it looked awful on all of my characters back then, I knew character slots and costume dyes were coming and I was afraid I could make a character that would look good wearing it in the future. But I decided against it in the end and I don't regret it, because I still don't have a character that would wear it, dyed or not.
    Edited by Abeille on September 23, 2016 10:49AM
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think if you object to an item returning to the crown store after it's been away for a while, and especially if your reason is that you like that not many people have it, then it's safe to say it being limited edition was a factor in you buying it.

It probably wouldn't be the only factor - I doubt anyone who says they hate bear mounts would buy a bear just because it's limited edition for example. But if you don't want it to be widely available or for other people who didn't get it at the exact same time you did to have it then you're obviously placing some value on that exclusivity.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • menedhyn
    menedhyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, i'm not swayed or convinced to purchase limited edition items for the sake of adding to a collection. I buy it because I think it will fit one of my current characters. If I miss out on something I wanted, it's an inconvenience, but nothing more.
    'Pure rains make sweet rivers'
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a little subjective because the only things I would buy from crown store are DLCs. I don't care about purely cosmetic items and even utility ones that have in-game alternatives. I would buy a DLC if it was half priced during a promotion. I'm still undecided whether to buy "Guilds and Glory" 4 DLC pack since I already have IC, so it would save me just 1500 crowns, and I really see no value in DB - no real endgame content - and just a sputtering of that in the other 2: one arena and one trial.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I only buy the limited time items I would like to have. Poll results show most people do the same.

I guess that's not enough since they're going to start hiding exclusive items in the crown crates to try to make people buy them all even if they only want certain ones.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, I buy stuff if I like it and only then.
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Asmael wrote: »
    The only "limited edition" item I bought was the Dro'm-athra senche, but I was dead set on having it

^This, in fact it being a limited time is an inconvenience; it means I have to have access to ESO during the short window something is available. I knew the Infernal version of the Sep Adder was coming but bought the vanilla version instead, why? Because I like that version better!
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I turned down the black senche panther twice!
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • FlaviusVoyage
    FlaviusVoyage
    ✭✭✭✭
    Suter1972 wrote: »
    Just noting the new lizard thing and infernal adder on crown store and they are 4 days only. Would this 'limited' time make you purchase an item. Even if its not on your initial 'wish list'

Yeah, I feel more tempted to buy if it is a limited-time offer.
  • JimT722
    JimT722
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I will buy the limited time stuff that I know I will use. If not then I will pass. Though a few times I was torn but I thought why not.
  • DragonSamurai360
    DragonSamurai360
    ✭✭✭
    I probably will buy the limited time items for the foreseeable future, as long as I have the money for Crowns and I like the appearance of the item or items as the case maybe. I however will NOT buy limited time one time use consumables except I have once and once only thus far and that was a Black Friday bundle that included a forest green colored Guar and the only reason was it was a good price and I felt it was worth it for the Guar.
  • LrdRahvin
    LrdRahvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't vote because there was no option for: I am easily pressured into buying something I don't need or want when someone tells me I can only buy it for five more days.
  • Suter1972
    Suter1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    LrdRahvin wrote: »
    I didn't vote because there was no option for: I am easily pressured into buying something I don't need or want when someone tells me I can only buy it for five more days.

that's option 1 ;)

• Suter1972
    Suter1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting results and thanks to everyone that voted so far.

I must admit I didn’t expect the result to be so conclusive, I thought there must be more people that would be swayed into limited edition/limited time items.

Given the result, surely this is an indicator to ZEN that limited time editions don’t attract people and the question is asked ‘why not just design and leave it on there?’ People change toons and new players join…..

• MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I must admit I didn’t expect the result to be so conclusive, I thought there must be more people that would be swayed into limited edition/limited time items.

Given the result, surely this is an indicator to ZEN that limited time editions don’t attract people and the question is asked ‘why not just design and leave it on there?’ People change toons and new players join…..

I don't understand the desire on ZOS' part to NOT have a well stocked store with lots of choices. I'd like to see the marketing research that proves this makes more money than a well stocked store that does occasional sales of specific items.

• Suter1972
    Suter1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »

I don't understand the desire on ZOS' part to NOT have a well stocked store with lots of choices. I'd like to see the marketing research that proves this makes more money than a well stocked store that does occasional sales of specific items.

I totally agree. As a recent addition to the player base, there are mounts and pets and other stuff I see older players using and know If it was in the store, I'd be 5 or 6K crowns lighter by now. That's sales they have missed out on by trying to tempt people with limited edition

• noxayloxub17_ESO
    noxayloxub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    I don't buy things just because they're limited edition. I've been online numerous times when a limited-time mount or pet was on sale and haven't gotten it because I didn't like it.

I voted yes but I actually feel more like this. I didn't buy the black camel or the infernal adder because I didn't like them. But I did buy a few costumes I was wavering on when they decided to expire them. So I guess making it expire or limited makes me buy on things I may not have if it didn't expire, but not 100% of the time.

Edited by noxayloxub17_ESO on September 28, 2016 9:19PM
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought both the Kagouti mount and the Infernal Adder, but it had nothing to do with them being limited time offers. I happen to think both of them suit my Shadowscale Argonian assassin very nicely.

I've bought a number of the limited time offers, and I've skipped others. I buy the things that I like and I don't buy the things that I can't see myself using on any of my characters.

The one thing that may get me to buy something that I wouldn't have otherwise bought is if an item is going to be removed from the crown store shortly, and is going on sale at a discount before it goes away. In that case, though, I'll only be buying it if it's worth it to me at the reduced price (and often I'll decide that I don't want it even at a reduced price), so it's about the price aspect, not about the "this is going away soon" aspect.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Suter1972
    Suter1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »

The one thing that may get me to buy something that I wouldn't have otherwise bought is if an item is going to be removed from the crown store shortly, and is going on sale at a discount before it goes away. In that case, though, I'll only be buying it if it's worth it to me at the reduced price (and often I'll decide that I don't want it even at a reduced price), so it's about the price aspect, not about the "this is going away soon" aspect.

Im the same on this. I bought more crowns as they half price on PS4 even though I already had enough and nothing to spend them on that I liked. It comes down to pricing for me. If its a bargain i'll buy it.

• Arundo
    Arundo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted No because up till now I have bought all items which have been available not only because they are exclusive but because I'm a collector and want everything :dizzy: