The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Should ESO change the way it sells Dyes?

MornaBaine
MornaBaine
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
First, the fact that the only dyes available are the boring muddy and easy to acquire ones from the first tier of dyes is a complete let down. Who honestly wants to use these on their COSTUMES? Indeed, who ants to use these AT ALL? And not being able to select the channels? Unacceptable. In fact, please do away with the whole thing. Surely by now a lack of sales has shown you this was a bad idea.

So, instead...

Create a new tier of crown store only dyes. Yes, unique colors only available via the crown store. Sell them individually and in 3 packs that are slightly discounted. When you go to the dye station there will now be a new section for just the CS dyes. When you purchase one of these dyes in the crown store it unlocks just like the dyes you get through achievements and functions just like all the other dyes. Come out with new ones periodically. Take away "old" ones. Don't make any that are TOO close to he precious PVP or PvE Trials achievement dyes so people don't lose their minds. You will make a killing. I promise.
Edited by MornaBaine on September 21, 2016 5:05PM
PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Should ESO change the way it sells Dyes? 43 votes

Yes, please change to this method of selling dyes. I would buy them.
58% 25 votes
I buy dyes under the current system, no change needed.
13% 6 votes
I have a better idea for dyes (explained in comments)!
27% 12 votes
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    100% agree. :)

Especially more iridescent ones - I'm a bit of a magpie for iridescent colours! :D
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a subscriber so fortunately I dye my costumes with dyes I have unlocked. I have looked at the dye options that have been available and actually laughed at some. Some of them are pretty bad. Some are very close to what I've used via the Sub dye system, therefore no need to buy them.

New dyes would definitely intrigue me. I'm not 100% sure I would buy a ton, but I imagine there would be colours that could pop up that I would enjoy enough to purchase.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This isn't a bad idea but it doesn't solve the problem I see with the current system.

For armour there isn't an issue - everyone can use any of the dyes they have unlocked in any combination they choose. Would it be nice to have more choices? Yes. Could they be sold on the crown store? Sure, why not. If you're a subscriber it's exactly the same for costumes.

If you're not a subscriber then the only way you can dye costumes is to buy a dye stamp and apply only those colours in that exact combination. And as MissBlizz said many of those combinations are horrible. They're not all dull, muddy colours (although some are) IMO some of the worst are the bright colour combinations. One of the first ones was bright purple, bright yellow and something like olive green. It made my characters look like colour blind pirates!

What I'd really like is the system I thought we were going to get when I first heard about dye stamps - if you're a subscriber it works exactly the same way it does now. If you're not a subscriber you buy a dye stamp and then it allows you 1-time access to that system: you dye your costume using the dyes you have unlocked and when you're done the stamp is consumed and the dyes are locked in.

They could sell extra dyes in addition to that, but that would fix the dye stamps for me.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • BrianDavion
    BrianDavion
    ✭✭✭✭
    yeah no on crown store only dyes. truthfully the system in game could be worse. I mean they could be sticking these dyes in random packs.

I think perhaps the best way to do it would be to sell empty dye stamps that we could fill in with our own colours.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    What I'd really like is the system I thought we were going to get when I first heard about dye stamps - if you're a subscriber it works exactly the same way it does now. If you're not a subscriber you buy a dye stamp and then it allows you 1-time access to that system: you dye your costume using the dyes you have unlocked and when you're done the stamp is consumed and the dyes are locked in.

They could sell extra dyes in addition to that, but that would fix the dye stamps for me.

Wow, great thinking.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • WhiteMage
    WhiteMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, no, no, no to crown store exclusive dyes. If anything, things should be transitioned OUT of the crown store, not in!

(Appearance change, select mounts and collectibles etc)
    The generally amicable yet sporadically salty magplar that may or may not have 1vXed you in Sotha Sil. Who knows?
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This isn't a bad idea but it doesn't solve the problem I see with the current system.

For armour there isn't an issue - everyone can use any of the dyes they have unlocked in any combination they choose. Would it be nice to have more choices? Yes. Could they be sold on the crown store? Sure, why not. If you're a subscriber it's exactly the same for costumes.

If you're not a subscriber then the only way you can dye costumes is to buy a dye stamp and apply only those colours in that exact combination. And as MissBlizz said many of those combinations are horrible. They're not all dull, muddy colours (although some are) IMO some of the worst are the bright colour combinations. One of the first ones was bright purple, bright yellow and something like olive green. It made my characters look like colour blind pirates!

Yeah I'd want the costume only dyes done away with entirely. These dyes I propose, once purchased, would function just like all other dyes and would apply to costumes as well as armor, no need for a separate system. Of course with this increased utility I'd expect them to be more expensive, perhaps 500 crowns a piece since currently 3 colors cost that much.

• HotToddy
    HotToddy
    ✭✭
    +1
    I like this idea. Take it a step further - let us buy color pallets (warm and cold colors) for a primary and secondary color packs (12 different hues of red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple). Throw in the 'black and white' pack, 'browns' and metallic sets and we have a deal!
  • DragonSamurai360
    DragonSamurai360
    ✭✭✭
    I would just prefer if you can buy the dyes from the Crown store that if you buy them they are attached to each and every character on the account and on the server permanently, meaning it would act like a secondary option to the normal dyes, but exclusive to the crown store. In order to prevent bypassing the dyes associated with achievements they could add different dyes entirely. Although this would be against lore and so forth you could add various different dyes such as an Elder Scrolls like Camo dye, or offering things like decal's on your armor such as the Dragon insignia from the Ebonheart Pact faction, meaning without a tabard. I personally never buy one time uses in the Crown unless I'm in an extremely desperate situation, which I have only ever been in once and had to buy a few consumables for 500 Crowns way back when and although they did help in the end I felt it was still a waste of money, because you have to buy them again in order to continue using them. Even though it's a pain every month to ask politely for my crowns with support, I feel ESO PLUS is kind of a steal with it's current benefits especially being able to use the dyes I unlocked by achievements on my costumes. All and all on the one time consumables subject including the one time dyes I guess their usefulness would depend on the users opinion.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would just prefer if you can buy the dyes from the Crown store that if you buy them they are attached to each and every character on the account and on the server permanently, meaning it would act like a secondary option to the normal dyes, but exclusive to the crown store. In order to prevent bypassing the dyes associated with achievements they could add different dyes entirely. .

That's actually exactly what I've suggested. Crown Store dyes should function EXACTLY like the dyes in the base system we already have. And to keep ESO plus attractive on this score I'd say sure go ahead and make it to where ONLY the crown store dyes can be used for costumes if you are not subscriber.

• Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    I would just prefer if you can buy the dyes from the Crown store that if you buy them they are attached to each and every character on the account and on the server permanently, meaning it would act like a secondary option to the normal dyes, but exclusive to the crown store. In order to prevent bypassing the dyes associated with achievements they could add different dyes entirely. .

And to keep ESO plus attractive on this score I'd say sure go ahead and make it to where ONLY the crown store dyes can be used for costumes if you are not subscriber.
    So you want to prevent me from using what I legitimately acquired in the game through my time and effort? How is this any better than the current system? Thanks, but no thanks. I prefer Danikat's method of fixing dye stamps.

I don't mind if we get crown dyes in addition to achievement dyes. Normally I'd be worried it would end up with everything good locked behind a paywall, but they won't take away the dyes from already existing achievements, so it wouldn't be so bad.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »

And to keep ESO plus attractive on this score I'd say sure go ahead and make it to where ONLY the crown store dyes can be used for costumes if you are not subscriber.
    So you want to prevent me from using what I legitimately acquired in the game through my time and effort? How is this any better than the current system? Thanks, but no thanks. I prefer Danikat's method of fixing dye stamps.

I don't mind if we get crown dyes in addition to achievement dyes. Normally I'd be worried it would end up with everything good locked behind a paywall, but they won't take away the dyes from already existing achievements, so it wouldn't be so bad.

Honestly I'd like nothing better than for everyone to be able to use all of their dyes on everything. I'm simply trying to work within the existing framework ZOS has set out on this. The ability to dye costumes as freely as armor is a subscription perk. My suggestion has it remain one. Those who won't sub for whatever reason, are just not going to have all the perks a sub has. I'm largely okay with that.

• Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Honestly I'd like nothing better than for everyone to be able to use all of their dyes on everything. I'm simply trying to work within the existing framework ZOS has set out on this. The ability to dye costumes as freely as armor is a subscription perk. My suggestion has it remain one. Those who won't sub for whatever reason, are just not going to have all the perks a sub has. I'm largely okay with that.
    Your solution removes all the fun out of it, though. It renders our accomplishments useless. That's not a good feeling and not something I expected a roleplayer to support.
    What's wrong with Danikat's solution? It doesn't conflict with the inclusion of crown store dyes. Would it make you feel less valued as a subscriber if non-subs could access their entire dye selection (and were charged each time, of course)?

edit: I should probably mention that I'm not vehemently against it. After a moment of consideration, both suggestions are better than the current system in which dye stamps are pretty much worthless. At least in yours we could mix and match the colors as we liked, even if we didn't have many.
    Edited by Rosveen on September 22, 2016 10:42AM
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Your solution removes all the fun out of it, though. It renders our accomplishments useless. That's not a good feeling and not something I expected a roleplayer to support.

I'm a little confused. How does it remove the "fun?" And how does it render your accomplishments useless?

• Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm a little confused. How does it remove the "fun?" And how does it render your accomplishments useless?

The sentence I originally quoted. No achievement dyes on costumes for non-subs. We earn the rewards, but we can't use them because it would somehow hurt subscribers.
  • menedhyn
    menedhyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...the fact that the only dyes available are the boring muddy and easy to acquire ones from the first tier of dyes is a complete let down. Who honestly wants to use these on their COSTUMES?
    I do. I quite like subdued or muted colours, or what you call 'boring' and 'muddy'. I note from the game that there are a few others who take the same stance.
    Indeed, who ants to use these AT ALL?
    Again, I do. It depends on the look you're going for. Choice is important and not everyone wants to prance around Tamriel looking (what I call) kaleidoscopic. If you prefer colour or vibrancy, shine and sparkle, dressing in rich reds, midnight blues or emerald greens, fair enough - we're all different.

For what it's worth, I agree that the current system of applying dye stamps - the colour choices, the lack of choice re channels and the combinations - is weak. Being melodramatic for a moment (because i've been around these forums far too long) it feels akin to trying to apply a sticking plaster to a gaping wound. It could be worse, I suppose, but the dye stamps system hasn't yet convinced me (a low level player who still has the majority of achievements to unlock and therefore has a limited colour palette available) to spend money on them.

I'm not against buying dyes from the Crown Store per se, subject to keeping achievement dyes where they rightfully belong, but the pricing needs to be reasonable (which I know is highly subjective). Danikat's idea seems to have a decent balance to it.
    'Pure rains make sweet rivers'
  • Suter1972
    Suter1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    im ESO+ thinking id unlock all the dyes. Wrong. It only gave me access to the dye station and the dyes id unlocked with achievements.

So as I wanted a gold at the time, I bought a dye stamp with a gold included thinking it would be added to my dye collection.

Wrong again. Its like a token. Once you use it its gone forever if you then change the colours in the dye station. (unless you since unlocked the colours yourself)

Completely confused and disappointed with the whole dye thing and dare I say, a little misled by how its advertised too
    Was - Breton DC ( GIRL - Guy In Real Life toon) Magika Templar Healer/ 5-8 trait Crafter - currently CP290 and learning now starting again on xbox…...

xbox suter1972 - Character name - Hota Woskeef

Xbox EU ESO+ Mature (40+) UK casual gamer
  • BrianDavion
    BrianDavion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Suter1972 wrote: »
    im ESO+ thinking id unlock all the dyes. Wrong. It only gave me access to the dye station and the dyes id unlocked with achievements.

So as I wanted a gold at the time, I bought a dye stamp with a gold included thinking it would be added to my dye collection.

Wrong again. Its like a token. Once you use it its gone forever if you then change the colours in the dye station. (unless you since unlocked the colours yourself)

Completely confused and disappointed with the whole dye thing and dare I say, a little misled by how its advertised too

they explained how dye stamps worked fairly clearly I thought
  • RandomSilliness
    RandomSilliness
    ✭✭✭
    +1. I will never pay a single crown for something I cannot apply selectively, an infinite number of times. For one thing, you just don't know what something's really going to look like until you walk around in it a bit. At the very least the dye-process should present you with a button to cycle a dozen kinds of typical lighting. Same is true for character creation for that matter.

Challenging achievements that reward us with shades of vomit that are imperceptibly different from other shades of vomit we already have is hugely demotivating. It would help immensely if we could at least preview locked colors before embarking on a quest to acquire the achievement. See above.
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭

^^this^^
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy looking like Mr Hanky the Christmas Poo.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or, make it a Token System where we can pick the dyes that we have unlocked. One Token gives one Dye Session and we choose any colors that we have available. Once we hit done, we use up that Token, otherwise we can go into the Preview screen as many times as we want (we may want to not dye the original costume we selected after seeing how the dyes look)

Edit, much the same as @Danikat 's idea

Edited by Nestor on September 23, 2016 8:05PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Suter1972
    Suter1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes why not just let people buy dyes and access them in the dye station as eso+ does. 9only purchased dyes available for non eso+
    Was - Breton DC ( GIRL - Guy In Real Life toon) Magika Templar Healer/ 5-8 trait Crafter - currently CP290 and learning now starting again on xbox…...

xbox suter1972 - Character name - Hota Woskeef

Xbox EU ESO+ Mature (40+) UK casual gamer
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not vote because my choice is not there. "I don't buy dyes".

I think the only reason they put dyes in the Crown Store is so people would complain that they are only available if you are a ESO+ subscriber.
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to jump in on the idea proposed by Danikat and Nestor, as that's what I'd like to see as well. Keep the existing system, but add an extra option to buy a blank dye stamp which you can fill with any of your unlocked colours (particularly the rarer ones), and then like any other dye stamp you can use it on one costume.

I'd also like to see a Dye Stamp of "Hot Water", or something, so you can remove any costume dyes. Without access to the ESO Plus system, there's no way to remove dyes on costumes that were dyed with Stamps.
    Edited by Enodoc on September 26, 2016 11:57AM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    Just wanted to jump in on the idea proposed by Danikat and Nestor, as that's what I'd like to see as well. Keep the existing system, but add an extra option to buy a blank dye stamp which you can fill with any of your unlocked colours (particularly the rarer ones), and then like any other dye stamp you can use it on one costume.

I'd also like to see a Dye Stamp of "Hot Water", or something, so you can remove any costume dyes. Without access to the ESO Plus system, there's no way to remove dyes on costumes that were dyed with Stamps.

I still would most like to see NEW colors from the crown store that work like existing dyes but I can see a place for the alternate systems people have come up with as well. Either would be a vast improvement over what ZOS currently has in place.

• Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should have a one use token that you buy in the Crown Store that would allow you to use the dyes that you already have unlocked.
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Suter1972 wrote: »

they explained how dye stamps worked fairly clearly I thought

Aye, if you use the forums and look all this stuff up on the net. However, most eso players probably don't venture here nor will they. They should have a clearer description in the crown store. It's not the only items that suffer from a poor description.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »

I still would most like to see NEW colors from the crown store that work like existing dyes but I can see a place for the alternate systems people have come up with as well. Either would be a vast improvement over what ZOS currently has in place.
    That would be interesting too, having an extra category of new "Purchased" dyes. Without ESO Plus or token-based access to the system though, that wouldn't help for dyeing costumes in custom colours.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • justinbarrett
    justinbarrett
    ✭✭✭
    yes, in general the things in crown store are useless and I cannot imagine spending any crowns on them...as it stands I am just saving up to purchase dlc content so I can kill my subscription.
    As far as dyes go....I don't care if they sell, even individual dyes, in the crown store...the way they are just for costumes is crap...I hate costumes for one thing...and your dyes do not effect gameplay...so why not sell them via crown store? zos may make some money that way and it does not upset the balance between any players...the only reason I can imagine they have not(yet)started to sell them is that they do not wish to water down the value of dyes earned via achievements....emperor red for example..but again idc, if I was, or will be emperor I could think of better ways to honor those individuals and their guilds. like war banners of past emperors hung around the main cities that have a campaign length cycle before they are removed...or something....drinks in taverns named after them...etc..by all means sell dyes, but remove experience scrolls, those do effect the balance...just like my eso plus xp bonus....going against nearly everything said at launch...don't get me wrong...I love the game...I just hate the logistics.