Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Am I crazy to start all over again?

john.economoub14_ESO
Okay, gonna be real here since no one will be able to give good advice here otherwise. At launch in 2014, I played for 3 months. By the time I quit, I had a 50 Sorc with 50 provisioning and 42 Enchanting. (Enchanting was a bear to level!) I also have a level 20 Templar who was just around for trade skills. She has 50 Blacksmithing, 50 Leatherworking and 50 Tailoring. Okay, so I came back this week and right away noticed a lot of changes. I won't go into all of that but I want to primarily discuss my Sorcerer. There has been A LOT of changes to this Sorc and now I'm sitting on a bunch of skill points deciding what to do. I was looking for a build to use but none provide extra detail on which passives, racials and other skills I should select. I did the best I could, bought a destro staff and went to try and kill something that was level 45. I had to RUN AWAY because the elephant wouldn't take any damage. Granted I still have unused skill points but I have completely forgotten how to play a sorcerer.

I'm tempted to just start over and run a Sorc from level 1 up to level 50 but what a waste of time to then have two sorcs right? I just don't know what to do at this point.
  • Chew_Magna
    Chew_Magna
    ✭✭✭
    I always start a new character when I take an extended break from a game. For myself it's two reasons. I have a horrible memory, and usually a lot of changes have been made in the game over that time. So I'll start over, and either keep playing the new one or sometimes it'll just click. I'll see what I've forgotten or catch on to the new stuff, and I'll pick up the old character again.
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't recommend starting over on another sorc - you are lvl 50 so you'd get CP if you played that one, vs not if you started over. Just take your time and go back and do some farming in the lower levels to get your bearings back. Read up on the skill changes, and go from there. If you are going to lvl a new character, grab that templar - they are all the rage right now!
  • QuantumPie
    QuantumPie
    ✭✭✭
    I would start to look into builds for a Sorc, your bars and gear are probably outdated which could cause a problem. When I just got to vr1 and went into my first vr zone I was getting recked by everything. After looking at some builds it helped a lot (turns out I was doing everything wrong from the start). You could try looking at the forums or
    Deltia's Gaming
    Tamriel Foundry
    Which are great resources for finding builds. I wouldn't recommend leveling a new character, it might help you re-learn some of the mechanics of ESO. But if your doing it just to re-learn how to play that class I would try getting a good build together.
  • MTrent24
    MTrent24
    ✭✭
    Try running a Stamina based sorc. I am one myself and in the beginning it was tough, but now that I have unlocked most of the passives, things are becoming a lot easier for me.
    PS4 [ EU ]
    PSN - hotboy_mikey_t
    Redguard Stamina Sorc - AD

Prince Michael Fahara'jad is the oldest son and rightful heir of King Fahara'jad with an unknown Redguard lady.When he was young he was sent away to prevent a scandal and grew up not knowing his three siblings Maraya, Lakana, and Azah. After becoming of age, Michael enlisted with the Aldmeri Dominion in effort to regain control of the Sentinel Palace.
  • incite
    incite
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seems your sorc is pretty mad at you for leaving, give him some time to adjust to your comeback
    PC EU

no1 knows me, no1 cares about me but sshh, don't tell

• Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @john.economoub14_ESO - Firstly welcome back,

Now lets get into the nitty gritty.

ESO should feel like a new game to you as there have bee SOOOOOO many changes since you left..

Level 50 sorc is a good start for you,
    In order to give you better feedback please can you give us the following information,
    Focussing on your Sorc:
    What Race is he/she?
    What skills are you using on your bars?
    What is your 2nd Weapon?
    What armour are you using?
    What Server are you playing on, EU or NA?

If you are on EU PC then look me up in game and i will be happy to help you find your feet.. @Johngo0036 is my account and i will make you armour and weapon sets if required.
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• Wolfhammer
    Wolfhammer
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think its good to start again.. I got back in game after about 18 months away and found my 25 Templar who's had a free skill reset while I was away..

It was so daunting re-picking skills n stuff before I jumped into a fight so thought "balls" and re-rolled.. I need to learn how to play again so I even did the tutorial zone...
    Wolfhammer - Templar serving the Alith guild on EU
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm tempted to just start over and run a Sorc from level 1 up to level 50 but what a waste of time to then have two sorcs right? I just don't know what to do at this point.
    You didn't say when you quit, but if it's been a few DLCs, things have changed. Some for the better, some for the reason why restarting is what I'd recommend.

I left when there were still VR ranks. This game called "Fallout 4" infected my character, and she teleported to this place called the "Commonwealth". Figuring Khajiits will still be Khajiits when she returned, she was shocked to see what had transpired since her departure.

Orcs needed help. Thieves were recruiting now. Small talk of murders occurring throughout Tamriel. Just what did she return to!

Worse, she went to fend off an attack and discovered the Princes must have meddled with the magicka system in Tamriel as she wasn't as strong as when she left. To get taken out by a skeever like that. How embarrassing.

I'm now playing a Tesla DW, er, StamSorc who specializes in dual wielding surrounded by lightning. I think I just hit level 27 yesterday, though I'm not paying attention. Just trying to chug through Grahtwood (I really hate questing there, despite how gorgeous it looks) and finally made it to Greenshade.

So, when you restart, what are you going to choose this time? :wink:

• XoxHANNIBALxoX
    XoxHANNIBALxoX
    ✭✭✭
    Check out yolo wizard build on tamriel foundry.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the time I quit, I had a 50 Sorc with 50 provisioning and 42 Enchanting. (Enchanting was a bear to level!) I also have a level 20 Templar who was just around for trade skills. She has 50 Blacksmithing, 50 Leatherworking and 50 Tailoring.

Enchanting is a lot easier to level now. In fact, you can use your L42 Enchanter to make Glyphs for your other crafter to decon and level them both up, bonus. You do want one equipment crafter as there are so many motifs now, learning them on one character is hard and expensive enough. Looks like your set up for that, so make sure you have traits researched or are researching them.

As for your Sorc, it's probably more gear than anything else, plus the meta has changed to go all in on Magic or Stamina. Unless your purely PvP or chasing Leaderboard Trials Times, a Magic Sorcecer is just as good as anything else to play. Stamina Sorcs can give more damage, but its more than you need for 99% of the PvE content. But, if your Attributes are mixed, that is the first thing you want to adjust.

There is no shame in rolling another sorcerer to learn the ropes so to speak, then go back to your first one. In fact, this way you can have both a Stamina and a Magic Sorcerer if you want.

If your on PC/NA, reach out to me in game, I will be on briefly tonight, and for a while early in the morning on Saturday. We can go around and do some things and I can show you some stuff that is new in the game.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• john.economoub14_ESO
    Here is some more info on my returning Sorc:

What Race is he/she?
    I was Imperial. Today I paid for a race change to Altmer. I have no idea why I went Imperial. I guess because I had bought the Imperial version of the game and didn't realize how bad the combo was.

What skills are you using on your bars?
    Right now I'm the build from this thread:

http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/1-6-6-the-unholy-herdsman-thelons-pet-build/

Since I don't have the Maelstrom, I created the Magnus Gift and Torug's set with destruction staff and dual swords.

What is your 2nd Weapon?

Above

What armour are you using?

Above

What Server are you playing on, EU or NA?

NA

So it's been a few weeks now and what I ended up doing was just forcing myself to relearn and I literally did have to relearn it all. I quit ESO before there were DLCs. Hell I quit before there were even guild traders. Everything had to be sold in chat only. So yea, the entire game is different now.

So when I returned, I was L50 120 CP. with the previously mentioned pet build, I quickly leveled and now I'm 160 CP. perhaps another gear change now? Julianos maybe. As well, I would like to get away from the pet build. Looking at Maelstrom, a pet build really isn't practical anyway so now looking for a solo Sorc build. I sa someone post the Yolo Wizard build. I need to look into this.

In any case for the rest of you returning and there soon will be thousands; Just take it a step at a time. DO YOUR HOMEWORK. It's important that you google the game and find out what's changed and what's available. I will say that ESO Plus is a Godsend for returning players for so many reasons. The XP boost, gold boost, CRAFTING BAG is huge! I'm already back researching again and I can say that after a month, I'm finally starting to get in a rythym. Joined a very helpful guild that has something called discord. Sigh...all these new things. Trade guilds, very important also. I notice that when I'm questing, I accumulate a lot of stuff to sell.

Anyway, happy to be back and the game is much more playable than 2014.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was gonna help until you picked Thelon's pet build over mine. I see how it is...

Pfff...

Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds