The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Force Shock or Swallow Soul (Strife morphs)

CapuchinSeven
CapuchinSeven
✭✭✭✭✭
Random question, I mostly use Swallow Soul with a Destro Staff but I've been wondering what others use.

Force Shock morphs or Nightblade Strife morphs...?
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swallow
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Bakven
    Bakven
    ✭✭✭
    Swallow soul does a bit less damage, but it heals you. The ones you'll see using force shock are usually sorcs who need a spamable ability
    EP NA Haderus
    Iscangar- Mageblade (retired pvp; pve only now)
    Emlyn Medresi - Magicka DK

Soon to come
    Vash'rassa- Stamblade
    -Tiffany - Stam DK
    Trokaar - Mageblade (vamp/Iscangar 2.0)
  • CapuchinSeven
    CapuchinSeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, I feel the same (plus Swallow costs next to nothing on my build).
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crushing Shock has 10% more penetration and can be weaved much much faster than strife plus it has a shorter travel time. One weave uses up wings. It interrupts, which alone is a reason to slot it. You gain 3.6 k magicka when killing with it.

I use both skills on main bar and dropped crippling grasp for it. It feels like I am doing about 20% more damage due to the I increase in weaving speed and the damage feels much more instant.
    Edited by Berenhir on September 21, 2016 1:03PM
    PC EU - Ebonheart Pact - Gray Host - Death Recap -#zergfarming -
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Berenhir wrote: »
    Crushing Shock has 10% more penetration and can be weaved much much faster than strife plus it has a shorter travel time. One weave uses up wings. It interrupts, which alone is a reason to slot it. You gain 3.6 k magicka when killing with it.

I use both skills on main bar and dropped crippling grasp for it. It feels like I am doing about 20% more damage due to the I increase in weaving speed and the damage feels much more instant.

Wings reflect 4 projectiles, crushing shock counts as a single projectile. It was changed to this shortly after wings got nerfed to 4reflects/cast. So you need 2 weaves (2 shocks+2 light attacks) to remove wings.
    Edited by Sharee on September 21, 2016 12:31PM
  • CapuchinSeven
    CapuchinSeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭

These are interesting points, my Swallow Soul hits harder on the tool tip (but Shock has 10% more penetration) and costs a LOT less magicka but your point about faster weaving and the interrupt is worth considering, I'll try it out.
    Edited by CapuchinSeven on September 21, 2016 12:53PM
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »

Wings reflect 4 projectiles, crushing shock counts as a single projectile. It was changed to this shortly after wings got nerfed to 4reflects/cast. So you need 2 weaves (2 shocks+2 light attacks) to remove wings.

True, forgotten about that. No specific advantage over Strife against DKs then. Which are the bane of magblades anyway, though that title is shared with stamsorcs since hurricane went live.

If only swallow souls animation wasn't that slow and hard to weave... :| Or Penetrating Magic would apply to all spells... Or both... <3
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Force Pulse in Trials (Swallow for Hardmode). Because Engulfing Flames gives a 10% buff to one of the Force Pulse attacks, with Elemental Drain Force Pulse costs less than Swallow and finally penetrating magic passive. So for hard stuff and solo stuff and PvP use Swallow, for group content with a good group use Force Pulse
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Dropping Crippling Grasp is probably the stupidest thing to do. Its one of the hardest hitting DoTs in the game. A HUGE DPS loss in PvE and a HUGE loss of pressure and immobilize in PvP.

Damage wise both are pretty much the same (if you use Force Pulse the damage is higher).
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dropping Crippling Grasp is probably the stupidest thing to do. Its one of the hardest hitting DoTs in the game. A HUGE DPS loss in PvE and a HUGE loss of pressure and immobilize in PvP.

Damage wise both are pretty much the same (if you use Force Pulse the damage is higher).

No, it is no big source of pressure or immobilise in PvP because it travels ages and any decent stamina build will roll dodge or block it. It is easily outhealed by vigor if i dont put 100 points into thaumaturge. The cc is so short that its even a waste of stamina to roll dodge out of it if you get hit. I do use it on my back bar, but mostly for the speed boost and to force the stam build to pop vigor at all.

If i want to imobilise someone with a dot I'd take frost reach over cripling grasp, as the duration of the immobilisation is longer and it travels much faster.

In PVE its okay, but mobs dont have any AI or do react at all to what you do to them.
    Edited by Berenhir on September 21, 2016 6:39PM
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Random question, I mostly use Swallow Soul with a Destro Staff but I've been wondering what others use.

Force Shock morphs or Nightblade Strife morphs...?

Race?

Force shock on a dunmer is nice
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Swallow for pvp. It benefits from siphoning passives, and weaves just as fast as force (whoever says otherwise is uninformed).

For pve dps, esp if you have nerieneths, force is the betel term choice.