Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What type of roleplayer are you in MMORPGs?

• MaxTM
    MaxTM
    ✭✭✭
    Dedicated roleplay (lore name, background, persona play, keep track of stories/arcs, the whole package)
    Sometimes i go to the RoleplayingForum and vote for random things without reading :lol:
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other (please feel free to elaborate in the comments)
    oooohhhhhh @tinythinker

Good note.... spooky note....but yeah, that's kinda how I look at the dragonbreak that I think is ESO
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Medium immersion (lore name and short background just for me)
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    oooohhhhhh @tinythinker

Good note.... spooky note....but yeah, that's kinda how I look at the dragonbreak that I think is ESO

Someone posted in on the forums on April 1st but I figured you would appreciate it.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Druachan
    Druachan
    ✭✭✭
    Minor persona play (you sometimes interact, fight, or chat based on things like race/class/background/whatever)
    So I'd say are you playing a role or are you acting out a stereotype? Sure you could read all the lore you can and yes you might say you understand a culture but it's just the starting point. It's your experiences that then shape you as that person or as your character evolves. I've played many RPGs over the decades and too often the roleplay element becomes a straitjacket stereotype. If you look around at people you know for real, they might share a culture and customs but they don't all act the same way or share the same values, unless it's at a pretty basic level.

Personally I like the world in the game, the mechanics make it a bit of a drudge at times and I can't say I've found many memorable encounters yet. Probably the worst thing anyone can do is play the way others think you should play. I find it more fun to explore the world for the experiences, the sights and sounds and the places and people rather than the competition.
    Say please, before you AAAAAaaaarrrgghhh at me.
  • Reevster
    Reevster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The closest I get to roleplay is picking a race and a class
    Role playing? What the heck is that?
  • mrkurokishi
    mrkurokishi
    ✭✭✭
    The closest I get to roleplay is picking a race and a class
    I might have went with a more lore-friendly name however the nickname my friends gave me "Kurokishi" won. I guess it fits since the name means Black Knight in Japanese and Im playing a Stam Dragonknight.
    PS4 : mrkurokishi
    Bancha: AD Khajiit magCro (main)
    Koicha: AD Khajiit stamPlar
    Usucha: AD Khajiit stamDen
    Teishu: DC Khajiit magDK
    Shincha: AD Khajiit madSorc
    PC : mrkurokishi
    Malacath's Side Piece: DC Orc stamPlar
  • UncannyLinderman
    UncannyLinderman
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not entirely sure where I'd fall into on this.
    Bearing in mind I don't go way out of my way to socialize with players I don't know, at least at the moment, and thus mostly solo things, my decisions and how I play do to an extent have to do with the character I'm using.

My main character, for example, is modeled after myself, and is the easiest for me to play as because all of the responses or decisions made reflect what I would do in the situation.

My nightblade Khajiit on the other hand was built specifically for the thieves guild, and even outside the thieves guild the decisions I make with the character are much different.

I can't seem to bring myself to really become a thief with my main, a treasure hunter sure (I find locked chests from a mile away) but by the time the thieves guild came out, the thief aspect didn't fit and I've not been able to make it fit. The Khajiit I tend to make the more controversial moves with.

I have a another alt I'm working on, again modeled after myself, but taking a bit of an idea from the comic world. While my main is "the Linderman" the other is "Old Man Linderman" because I was just thinking of Old Man Logan from Marvel comics at the time, and I'm enjoying the character. I'm making similar decisions to my main, but with some tweaks, as if the older version is a more bitter version.

I don't go into the whole background thing so much. I may develop some passing thoughts as I play as to what the characters not fashioned after myself would have been prior to the game, but it's minor. I do however maintain the character as I play as best I can, trying to avoid making a choice at one point that would be drastically out of character compared to something I did long before.

And I'm pretty sure I was working towards something with this mini novel here but I don't remember what so I'll leave it at that for now.
  • UncannyLinderman
    UncannyLinderman
    ✭✭✭
    NovaMarx wrote: »
    This one roleplays often (several times a week), and with the same people/guilds, so it is easy to keep track of the many stories - also we have a guild site, which helps ^^
    But although I personally like to be very dedicated, I still feel there is room for anyone interested in the RP community - the more the merrier!

So to not-yet-RPers out there: don't be afraid to RP, even if you've never done it before! I've seen quite a few players go from RP-virgins to incredibly interested in lore and story. But even if you never move past the simple background part, you are still awesome :wink:

I feel like if I'd gotten into these sorts of games when I was younger, or had more time during peak hours (my work schedule kills a lot of my ability to really get involved even in a guild), I probably would have gotten way into the RP. And who knows, maybe someday, to an extent. One big thing that makes me think it could happen, is that on the forums in particular, the RP community appears to be a rather accepting and respectful one. More than I can say for 95% of people I know in real life.
  • namelessperson
    Major persona play (you often interact, fight, or chat based on things like race/class/background/whatever but don't always worry about keeping track of a story)
    I'm a creative writer in my spare time, so, I often make up a fairly intricate back-story for all of my main characters in games. The back-story for my main character in this game is mostly lore-friendly. I don't usually RP in-game, out loud, but I have on occasion. I mostly just try and make decisions according to what my character, and by extension myself, would likely choose. For those of you familiar with alignments, most characters I make up, including this one, kinda fluctuate between neutral good and chaotic neutral in their decisions and mannerisms.
    Edited by namelessperson on April 6, 2016 7:48PM
  • Amos
    Amos
    ✭✭
    Major persona play (you often interact, fight, or chat based on things like race/class/background/whatever but don't always worry about keeping track of a story)
    I always seem to infuse myself and my morals/ethics/whims into my characters however i play and make game choices via the characters traits, origin/race, gender and world lore. It's very much an amalgam.

• craybest
    craybest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minor persona play (you sometimes interact, fight, or chat based on things like race/class/background/whatever)
    i always try to grt a lore friendly name (unless its a character i created in another game before) and a small bio. also i like to randomly rp with people once in a while.
    i prefer faster rp, fluid like a conversation, and people whi take 5+mins to type a reply, even if it is long, tend to get on my nerves XD.
    i also enjoy distance rp, like we had some sort of magic phone, so I can rp while questing and levelling.
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In English?
    PC EU
  • Chiba_Emi
    Chiba_Emi
    ✭✭
    Heavy immersion (lore and long background just for me or maybe a few others too)
    Lore friendly names; Check
    Semi lore friendly backgrounds; Check
    Semi good knowlege to the 2nd era lore; Working, but getting there
    RP guild; Nope
    Experience in MMORPG RP; Check! (But I had a year or two break so..)
    May the Three Bless you

Reyvyn Dulni - EP
    Chiba Emi - AD
    Lilith Gilvion - EP
  • subtlezeroub17_ESO
    subtlezeroub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have an entire story and personality for my Dunmer. I even limit myself to certain Night blade spells.

Like I do not use any of the melee spells like hidden blade because my Dunmer is a blood mage and illusionist and only uses siphon spells, shadow spells and maybe some assassination spells like impale (which I think of as him magically crushing their heart) and merciless resolve which would be a light conjuration spell. Maybe staff and mages guild spells too since he is still a mage.
    Edited by subtlezeroub17_ESO on August 24, 2016 11:26AM
  • leetacakesb16_ESO
    leetacakesb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Spontaneous/Random roleplay (like persona play but more fluid, there is no persistent persona)
    It depends, really. I enjoy to RP, especially if I am with others who do the same. To RP in games like this makes things more interesting. But if I happen to be with people who don't do RP I play normally. I do have a little bit of a backstory for my main character and gave her a lore-friendlish name, I think.
    Pc EU- Lady_Hania
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I RolePlay casually . I like feeling immersed in the game and being apart of the world . I make decisions based on what my character would choose over myself . I find this makes people happy ingame too and sometimes they will stop and be talking a little more then usual .

I don't enjoy just sitting in one room emoting every little action I would be doing or describing in detail the way I say something . That's more like writing a novel then Roleplaying to me . I like coming up with quests for people sometimes . I had someone that asked for a vampire bite once and I told them they needed to bring me a certain object that had to be stolen as the owner would not part with it for coin . An they set out to steal this item , went and laundered it and t traded it in a back alley . Then I escourted them to reapers March and sent them on the path of darkness . They said it was most fun after and appreciate not charging them coin but story instead . This is best part of game to me .
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My role is damage dealer, crafter, revolution queller, antagonist, proffesional victim,heir apparent,and gopher elite.
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All my characters names, look & costume are designed to go with the minimal amount of character development i do, such as 'the posh one' OR 'the troubled one' etc etc
  • myven
    myven
    ✭✭
    Heavy immersion (lore and long background just for me or maybe a few others too)
    I write various journals for all my characters in all games I play (Online and Single). I create personalities to justify their actions, sheets to summaries their characteristics and background stories to make them come alive. Most are prepped for dedicating RP and are ready to go out there. Although, I rarely use them to interact with other players. I am my worst critic and dare not go ahead (shyness is a critical factor as well). Even if I prepare scripts to follow, like appropriate emotes for my characters and such things, more often than not, I shy away.

I love RP and am in heart a dedicated roleplayer. Even though, I voted Heavy Immersion because that is the fact of my current play style.

I admire all RP players out there, you're all my role models in MMOs!

Peace Be With You
  • CheverTheShrimp
    Dedicated roleplay (lore name, background, persona play, keep track of stories/arcs, the whole package)
    I'm a seasoned RPer with at least 10 years experience. However, as this is my first MMORPG I have fully played (played a bit of WoW but on off, only level 6 on it lol), I have never RPed on an MMO server ever, but it looks like it could be fun.
    Personally, I love sticking more strictly to lore, all my characters have very lore fitting names and classes, however, I do enjoy adding a little twist to them, making them more unique from your regular stereotypical cookie cutter you might find in some characters.

If I had to rank my current style of RP in ESO, I would say a little bit of Immersion, a little bit of Persona. I play out scenarios in my head and particularly when I fight along side people, but I would like to try more in depth RPing with people one day.
    ~ Vvaelud | Dark Elf | Scorcerer | EP | Vampire | Lv 50 ~
    ~ Z'ahzun-Fa the Tiny | Khajiit | Dragonknight | DC | Werewolf | Lv 22~
    ~ Fryyn the Red | Wood Elf | Nightblade | AD | Werewolf | Lv 13~
    ~ Sir Chever the Mad | Dark Elf | Nightblade | EP | Vampire | Lv 17 ~
    ~ Ilvana Tesaani | Dark Elf | Templar | EP| Werewolf| Lv 12 ~
    CP - 144

Priests of Hircine
    PC EU Free werewolf bite guild
    Get your free bite today
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread

Aussie Player
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always cringe at classifications. But us humans do love to try and pigeon-hole and classify things into nice little discrete categories, so I can understand this.

Well done using 'free-form' however. Most gloss over this niche and think RP is only scripted, static, pre-thought out.

Personally, I like the challenge of trying to be in-character 100% of the time, in a lore-respecting, emergent/immersive, free-form and in-the-moment style.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Kungfumasta
    Kungfumasta
    Soul Shriven
    I have just started ESO but come from a long background of rp in other formats (mainly second life where you can build your own sims). I realize this is a MMO but I find more and more RPers as I play. I have a set story that I play and so far I have been able to find random RP in the Riften taverns and a few random rpers who I ended up running into. I have managed to trade with some Orc tribes but all and all I have found it difficult to get into the real juicy stuff. I feel like a lot of Rpers on ESO have been doing it for the past few ways and are weary of outsiders (most likely because of trolls).

Honestly I am kinda asking as well as sharing my experience.... There a good way to kinda put a "I am a fellow RPer and looking to get into the good stuff" flag over my head so that I can find more natural rp?
    "The trees move...do you not see it?!"
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try and fail basically. No.....I fail constantly.

No matter how hard I try I will ALWAYS break character for the cheap laugh.

I'm listening to the usual well crafted weekly sermon by Servants of the Tribunal last night....it was tour through the gardens and grounds around the temple, led by the always meticulously in-character Sebaya Indoril employing a cleverly constructed allegory.

Big%20Tree%20Stop_zpsfl9ljvzk.png

But on the last site, which was a large rock formation.....

Final%20Stop-1_zpskfeecgyq.png

....some guy climbs the rock and shouts, "This rock is mine!"

My character couldn't help herself....."There are many like it..."

And, yeah, the two of us launch into the Rifleman's Creed most famously known from Full Metal Jacket. :/

Short version - I do it purely for fun....this is my rifle, this is my gun.....sorry......
  • Rastafariel
    Rastafariel
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a dedicated RPer. However, I prefer some action in my RP. I enjoy Tavern RP, but it only gets me so far.

If you are a looking for RP on PC NA, check out Dragon Tears. We are an Order of dedicated folk who search for lost lore & artifacts to use them to light the way into Tamriel's future. We have been around since beta! Come join us we welcome all types of RP!
    A Dragon's Tear has many mystical qualities...
    dragontears.boards.net
  • Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    somewhere between medium and heavy

full on roleplaying is just too much cringe for me
    skingrad when zoscharacters:
    • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
    • EP - F - Melina Elinia - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Sinnia Lavellan - Altmer Warden Healer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Follows-the-Arcane - Argonian Healer Sorcerer- lvl 50
    • EP - F - Ashes-of-Arcane - Argonian Magicka Necromancer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Bolgrog the Sinh - Orc Stamina Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Moonlight Maiden - Altmer Magicka Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Maxine Cauline - Breton Magicka Nightblade - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Garrus Loridius - Imperial Stamina Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Jennifer Loridius - Imperial Necromancer tank - lvl 50
    PC/NA but live in EU 150+ ping lyfe
  • Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    I heavily roleplay the whole experience in my own mind, though I rarely interact much with others. Playing and acting out an RPG at the table with others is very satisfying, but I find it really difficult to connect with a chat box.
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a lore friendly name and a background story for my characters, but really only RP within my group of friends. We keep it to group chat/whisper unless someone fat fingers. I will occasionally do some spontaneous light public roleplay, like if I see someone playing a lute I will stop and clap for them - or I cheered when someone pegged that haughty Altmer Queen with a mudball.
  • Nocturnalan
    Nocturnalan
    ✭✭✭
    Spontaneous/Random roleplay (like persona play but more fluid, there is no persistent persona)
    I'm random myself. If I'm crossing a bridge in a City and there is a line of people on the bridge and they all hold out there "stop hand" emote and say "Halt" OMG so funny! I'll pay the bridge toll and hang out for a while just to see other players reactions. That and random naked fishing or dance party's I'll always partake in. Maybe that's more considered Trollplay? I don't go out of my way to RP but if I happen upon it I'll play.
    Templar Healer PVP/PVE
    Stam/Mag Warden PVP
    MagSorc PVP
    XB1 NA 1100+CP
  • Son-of-the-Desert
    Son-of-the-Desert
    ✭✭✭
    I occasionally roleplay but most of the time, if I have time to play ESO I mostly do pvp
    Main Characterr:
    Tiberius Scrofal : Imperial Templar Healer
    Shard: PC EU DC
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm random myself. If I'm crossing a bridge in a City and there is a line of people on the bridge and they all hold out there "stop hand" emote and say "Halt" OMG so funny! I'll pay the bridge toll and hang out for a while just to see other players reactions. That and random naked fishing or dance party's I'll always partake in. Maybe that's more considered Trollplay? I don't go out of my way to RP but if I happen upon it I'll play.

Oh wow, never seen that one!

Sounds fun, I'd happily pay that toll
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis