Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why do people hate gankers?

• BruhItsOver9000
    BruhItsOver9000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People will always hate gankers. Role playing an assassin in this game is so much fun, killing a 24 man group silently is fun asf, I've seen it happen. Not all people want to become knights or mages. The fun part of ganking is killing players instantly and being unseen by enemy players. And there're many ways to counter ganking, buffing yourself up and keeping an eye on your horses stamina.

Ganking can help your faction out by alot, from stopping reinforcements coming to a keep and ganking the healers or snipe spamming players from a zerg, when you have a ganker in your faction, you should be happy.

But these are the gankers that i hate, the ones who camps delves or towns or the ones who wait till you go afk then proceed to kill you. Gankers are annoying, i agree, but you have to remember that it's just a game and not real life.
    WOOD ELF MASTER RACE.

• DeanTheCat
    DeanTheCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... You know, there is a difference between your regular horse jumper to someone who stalks behind enemy zergs picking off enemy combatants one by one.

One is a ganker and the other is a guerrilla fighter. There is a difference.

kGfoq.gif

In this one's humble opinion, there are far worse stuff than ganking around. A certain train led by a person who has a name ending in a bird that rises from the ashes on the EU-PC megaserver chases down lone players for 10+ min before ordering his train to drop 24 meteors on that guy. That is far far worse than a ganker.
    Dean the Cat
    Somewhat Insane Puddicat
    EU-PC Megaserver; Ebonheart Pact, Alliance Rank 34
    This one hails from far Singapore, excuse this one for his high pings. He also apologizes for any formatting/spelling errors, as he tends to answer using a mobile device.

Insanity is the price of Knowledge. Herma-Mora and Sheogorath, this one bows before thee.

This one does not advocate for any class to be nerfed. There are far deeper underlying issues then a simple "Class Imbalance". The Champion System is the problem. Not classes.

Please read this before creating yet another nerf thread.

My guides:
  • donJay
    donJay
    ✭✭✭
    donJay wrote: »
    I actually do respect gankers. Only a handful of them, or less, than can pull it off.

Sure you do.

You sound like one of the gankers that can't kill me. Oh wait, that's 100% of them.
    ANIMOSITY BEST GUILD NA + EU
    Former Los Pepes
    Former Nemesìs
    Former Dynamic
    Former Nexus

EP | Magplar l Argonian l don-Jay
    DC | Magden | High Elf | don-Bae

Magden Solo PvP Vid
  • joe.smith21b14_ESO
    joe.smith21b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I actually do respect gankers. Only a handful of them, or less, than can pull it off.

Sure you do.

You sound like one of the gankers that can't kill me. Oh wait, that's 100% of them.

Could have sworn I killed you in the sewers oh wait that's 100% right I don't think I need to tell you who this is I think you already know. But maybe you should take a sec and go over your build and take some notes bruh.
    Smiff
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    People will always hate gankers. Role playing an assassin in this game is so much fun, killing a 24 man group silently is fun asf, I've seen it happen. Not all people want to become knights or mages. The fun part of ganking is killing players instantly and being unseen by enemy players. And there're many ways to counter ganking, buffing yourself up and keeping an eye on your horses stamina.

Ganking can help your faction out by alot, from stopping reinforcements coming to a keep and ganking the healers or snipe spamming players from a zerg, when you have a ganker in your faction, you should be happy.

But these are the gankers that i hate, the ones who camps delves or towns or the ones who wait till you go afk then proceed to kill you. Gankers are annoying, i agree, but you have to remember that it's just a game and not real life.

First 2 paragraphs are actual assassin style players last one are what gankers are. No skilled players killing simple PvE players questing or trying to finish dolems up.
  • Stoopid_Nwah
    Stoopid_Nwah
    ✭✭✭✭

First 2 paragraphs are actual assassin style players last one are what gankers are. No skilled players killing simple PvE players questing or trying to finish dolems up.
    Nah the last paragraph just sums up the low-life wannabe gankers :wink:.

Though to be fair, my definition of ganking very closely resembles the assassin playstyle...I think it's just been so convoluted and turned into "the guys who sit at the bridge and quest markers waiting for pvers getting skyshards and turning in quests".
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have nothing but love for solo gankers. But these gankers that hang out in packs are the worse players I've ever seen.
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    J2JMC wrote: »
    PeggymoeXD wrote: »
    When it comes down to it, play the way you find most enjoyable. I judge gankers but only when I'm salty. And no, not because they've killed me, but because when they fail to destroy me with 1 or 2 hits, they disappear. I acknowledge this is a legitimate playstyle. It's just boring to me. If you're going to attempt to pick me off and fail, you deserve punishment. So fight me. Don't run away. You might even win. But because you disappeared, we'll never know. Like I said, if playing like that makes you happy, do it regardless of what others think, including me.

Assuming two players are of equal skill and the game is appropriately balanced, if a ganker fails to kill a build designed to 1v1 within 7 seconds, the 1v1 build wins 100 percent of the time. Why? Because their build, if good, is literally designed for sustained dps and resource management to excel in extended fights. Meanwhile the gank build is designed for short windows of extremely high burst forgoing the ability to sustain both dps and resources. This mentality you and most others in this thread have displayed is extraordinarily arrogant because it confuses your resource management stats(and ability to wear heavy armor with impent thanks to recent buffs) with skill. I completely understand being proud to survive a gank(assuming the ganker is using a full gank build and is of equal skil level), but there is no reason to be proud of killing a ganker when their only window of opportunity they should have had to kill you was missed. If they get any more opportunities, it is yourself that you should be mad at as either your build is inefficient or you misplayed.

It's not impressive to win a duel against a ganker using a gank build in the same way it's not impressive to gank someone using a 1v1 build. These are just things that are expected to happen if either the dueler or the ganker finds themselves in the appropriate scenario. We need to stop pretending stats aren't an important part of this game. This is an MMO. You are only as good as the armor you are wearing.If you don't believe that go into Cyrodiil with no gear. Good luck :)

Was a good read and spot on. Very Insightful.
    PS4 NA DC
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am not saying "nerf gankers", or even "remove this play style of the game", not at all, but it pretty much sucks if you do not even have the time to react and you are dead :smiley: .

I mean I am only starting to do PVP (I usually played PVE so far) and yesterday in IC in Arboretum district, I am farming mobs and suddenly from the behind two NBs uncloak and kill me in 1 second :smiley:

I go like "[SNIP], NBs...., your hide and seek game, come out and fight like men :smiley: !!!"
    Edited by ZOS_PeterT on October 18, 2016 1:57PM
  • Sugaroverdose
    Sugaroverdose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paneross wrote: »
    I hate gankers because they cry for nerfs if they can't burn someone down in less than five seconds.
    Lmao, good one :)
  • Zouni
    Zouni
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I am concerned everytime you put that heavy armor on you proclaim yourself a coward.
    Nyxtes - NB
    Nyxta - Sorc
    Mastrofonoss - DK
    Gr Blue - Temp
  • God_flakes
    God_flakes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zouni wrote: »
    As far as I am concerned everytime you put that heavy armor on you proclaim yourself a coward.

OMG someone saying what I've always said! Heavy is for sissies!
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    On a slightly different note. It looks like at least half the players won't have gankers as much if they were not other players, even if the loss is similar: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/290410/npc-highwaymen-in-pve-areas
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Stoopid_Nwah
    Stoopid_Nwah
    ✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    On a slightly different note. It looks like at least half the players won't have gankers as much if they were not other players, even if the loss is similar: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/290410/npc-highwaymen-in-pve-areas
    That sounds cool tbh. And people just hate gankers because their feelings get hurt when they melt instantly. I think a lot of them have the mindset of "but but my build is so perfect and I'm the best PVPer ever, it's not possible for me to die" and there are also the people that are like "oh, you're a ganker, well then the kill didn't count" :expressionless: I usually just respond with killing them a few more times and taking even more tel-var (if it happens in IC).
  • Master_Kas
    Master_Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Because they like to hold block, spam heals and wait for their allies to zerg you down while they start to cycle jesusbeams and snares on you.

Ganking is the way to avoid that, atleast more so than any other playstyle besides zerging :trollface: (PS a zerg is a zerg, the swarm of pugs mixed with raids alike running towards the next objective like zombies)

@DeanTheCat I'm pretty serious :wink:
    Edited by Master_Kas on September 8, 2016 5:44PM
    EU | PC
  • Stoopid_Nwah
    Stoopid_Nwah
    ✭✭✭✭
    Master_Kas wrote: »
    Because they like to hold block, spam heals and wait for their allies to zerg you down while they start to cycle jesusbeams and snares on you.

Ganking is the way to avoid that, atleast more so than any other playstyle besides zerging :trollface: (PS a zerg is a zerg, the swarm of pugs mixed with raids alike running towards the next objective like zombies)

Lol so true. And you can tell when it's an ultra-zombified zerg by how often you can get in the middle of them, take out one or two people and get out while watching the zerg move on. They don't even notice 90% of the time and the guys you took out never get a res :lol:.
  • Beruge
    Beruge
    ✭✭✭
    I dont hate gankers, its a playstyle. It would be boring with only face to face fights. It gives the game some variation.

Some times i gank, some times i get ganked, some times i run an anti gank builds :smiley:
    My youtube channel: Beruge Casualgaming
  • Master_Kas
    Master_Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Lol so true. And you can tell when it's an ultra-zombified zerg by how often you can get in the middle of them, take out one or two people and get out while watching the zerg move on. They don't even notice 90% of the time and the guys you took out never get a res :lol:.

It's art really :D
    EU | PC
  • brtomkin
    brtomkin
    ✭✭✭
    I think there are three types of gankers:

1) The tactical ganker waits in a strategic location interfering with the flow of players to a battle or slowly reducing the size of an enemy force... very similar to a sniper. This ganker might be found somewhere on route to a battle or maybe moving along the edges of a seige line.

2) The practical ganker is trying to earn quick AP/Telvar to use to buy seige, repair kits, forward camps, gear, etc... These gankers may not see other players much differently than NPCs. I think a large majority of gankers fall into this category.

3) The bully ganker knows the players being ganked are real people and simply enjoys killing them. The bully ganker probably imagines that their victims are crying about the gank and laughs about it... and probably gets upset and rages after a failed gank. Most victims think gankers are bullies, but in reality I think only a small minority of gankers fall into this category.
    PS5 NA: Pickmans__Model, CP 2000+
  • Stoopid_Nwah
    Stoopid_Nwah
    ✭✭✭✭
    brtomkin wrote: »
    I think there are three types of gankers:

1) The tactical ganker waits in a strategic location interfering with the flow of players to a battle or slowly reducing the size of an enemy force... very similar to a sniper. This ganker might be found somewhere on route to a battle or maybe moving along the edges of a seige line.

2) The practical ganker is trying to earn quick AP/Telvar to use to buy seige, repair kits, forward camps, gear, etc... These gankers may not see other players much differently than NPCs. I think a large majority of gankers fall into this category.

3) The bully ganker knows the players being ganked are real people and simply enjoys killing them. The bully ganker probably imagines that their victims are crying about the gank and laughs about it... and probably gets upset and rages after a failed gank. Most victims think gankers are bullies, but in reality I think only a small minority of gankers fall into this category.
    Honestly, I think I can fall into all three depending on my mood and what I want to get done. If I'm in need of hakeijo, I will go out to blue's farm zone in the sewers and just start ganking everyone to get quick stones. If I'm up top, I tend to go to places where battles are to thin out numbers (as you mentioned in category 1). I rarely tbag, and if I die then I just respawn and find someone else unless it's someone I want to try to gank again to better my timing/combo/escape.

But then there are the days where I wake up hating everyone, and the first person to tell me that I'm a **** and that they hope my family burns alive...well they get ganked over and over again until they give up/rage quit.

Though when I'm in a good mood, it's only made better by trolling the rage whisperers in chat lol. I have to amuse myself somehow, ganking is lonely work :lol:.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't get pissed at gankers. Just learn to handle them better next time.
    Edited by Asardes on September 8, 2016 11:14PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • abelsgmx
    abelsgmx
    ✭✭✭
    It's a legitimate strategy in warfare so there's nothing wrong with it per se, it's just the most cowardly way to fight even though it's effective, and some people get inflated egos and think they're hot stuff for getting kills against people that don't stand a chance. In this game the burst is so strong that most people simply cannot survive the opening salvo, especially since on horseback if you get knocked off you can't break free of the animation and you're usually dead before you can stand even on tankier builds like mine.

I think the animation of being knocked off your horse needs to be able to be broken free of like any stun, and gankers need to remember they're nothing special for fighting in the least challenging way possible (at least if they want any respect), but ganking is and will remain a legitimate and effective strategy and there's nothing inherently wrong with doing it, mainly it's just obnoxious to be on the receiving end and (especially when being ganked by multiple people at once) not standing a chance or even having the opportunity to fight back.

The reasons it's annoying are also the reasons why it works though, so it is what it is, Guerilla warfare always sucks whenever you're not the guerilla fighter (and sometimes even when you are, it's not always fun to be outmatched and not be able to do anything besides gank and hope your enemy dies before they have a chance to fight back, otherwise it can end very badly for the ganker).
    This one has been ganked.

Lol but on a serious note, what isn't considered cowardly in this game? Sorcs that streak away and minecamp? Templars that stand at the back of a zerg beaming anything they see? The Templars and dks that rely on malubeth being broken? The stam builds dodge rolling like monkeys with shuffle up so they seemingly never get hit?

I never understood the hate tells of "yeah well you're just a stupid coward using invisibility". Pretty sure people just have big egos, and when a decent ganker comes their way and melts them they feel some sort of injustice has been done to them lol.

This one is a ganker
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I die, I like to think about what I could have done to avoid getting killed.

How to build my character better.
    How to play better.
    How to configure my skills better.
    How to position better.
    How to block and dodge better.
    How to be more situationally aware.
    How to watching for flanking moves.
    How to avoid beating on the harmless DK tank when there's four nightblades standing there bow spamming.
    How to place siege more strategically.
    How and when to place negate or an ice storm to help stop a Templar ball Zerg.
    How to watch for stacked players and an optimal chance for a meteor.
    Etc.

If the answer is 'Well you should have been psychic and had a detect pot up five minutes ago before the one shot gank!' Then there is a problem with the game that needs to be fixed.

I don't mind gankers, or stealth classes. But in this case ZOS has gone and given the invisible sharks nuclear weapons. Kindly give us a chance to fight back, otherwise we're not really playing a 'game' anymore are we? (Well someone is, but it's not 'us')
    Edited by Minalan on October 16, 2016 5:40AM
  • Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know this is a necro thread.... but people who gank in more then groups of 1 are doing it wrong.
    PvP Defensive Set Comparison
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    LagPlar Ranged Lag Proof(ish) Magplar
    - build and gamplay!
    ShadowGaurd MagBlade Group Utility Tank
    - build and gamplay!
    Oncoming Storm No-CP 11.6k Ward MagSorc - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ganking was around before jesus beam goof.
  • Stoopid_Nwah
    Stoopid_Nwah
    ✭✭✭✭
    abelsgmx wrote: »
    It's a legitimate strategy in warfare so there's nothing wrong with it per se, it's just the most cowardly way to fight even though it's effective, and some people get inflated egos and think they're hot stuff for getting kills against people that don't stand a chance. In this game the burst is so strong that most people simply cannot survive the opening salvo, especially since on horseback if you get knocked off you can't break free of the animation and you're usually dead before you can stand even on tankier builds like mine.

I think the animation of being knocked off your horse needs to be able to be broken free of like any stun, and gankers need to remember they're nothing special for fighting in the least challenging way possible (at least if they want any respect), but ganking is and will remain a legitimate and effective strategy and there's nothing inherently wrong with doing it, mainly it's just obnoxious to be on the receiving end and (especially when being ganked by multiple people at once) not standing a chance or even having the opportunity to fight back.

The reasons it's annoying are also the reasons why it works though, so it is what it is, Guerilla warfare always sucks whenever you're not the guerilla fighter (and sometimes even when you are, it's not always fun to be outmatched and not be able to do anything besides gank and hope your enemy dies before they have a chance to fight back, otherwise it can end very badly for the ganker).
    This one has been ganked.

Lol but on a serious note, what isn't considered cowardly in this game? Sorcs that streak away and minecamp? Templars that stand at the back of a zerg beaming anything they see? The Templars and dks that rely on malubeth being broken? The stam builds dodge rolling like monkeys with shuffle up so they seemingly never get hit?

I never understood the hate tells of "yeah well you're just a stupid coward using invisibility". Pretty sure people just have big egos, and when a decent ganker comes their way and melts them they feel some sort of injustice has been done to them lol.

This one is a ganker
    Was*, I haven't played in weeks, but ganking was by far the most entertaining part of PVP. More so than the zerg v zerg lag, the small group battles, and the drama of being emp.

But anyone who runs in "ganking groups" and waits at bridges all day to gank level 10s - no. That's just gross.