Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "The Elder Scrolls Online - PlayStation 4 Pro Announcement"

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official discussion thread for the blog article The Elder Scrolls Online - PlayStation 4 Pro Announcement, coming on November 10th. Will you be experiencing Tamriel in 4K?
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • project-2501-84neb18_ESO
    Will the game use higher graphics settings in 1080p?
    Not really interested in getting 4k just yet, but i am interested in ps4 pro if games will make use of the new hardware by ramping up the graphics, ESO being the main one.

Edit: The post wasn't loading in when i posted this comment, i'm interested in the details of the increased graphical fidelity, eg: if it'll be close to ultra / high settings on pc.
    Edited by project-2501-84neb18_ESO on September 8, 2016 2:20PM
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not really interested in getting 4k just yet, but i am interested in ps4 pro if games will make use of the new hardware by ramping up the graphics, ESO being the main one

It says "higher graphical fidelity" for 1080p in the article, so yes.

I'm curious as to the full list of improvements. Draw distance seems much farther, I didnt notice much or any pop in. Lighting is better, too, but that could be HDR in play. @ZOS_GinaBruno Any chance you could give us a technical breakdown of what bells and whistles have been added? I'm sure myself and others would greatly appreciate the info.

Fantastic work and awesome news overall for the console community. My sincere thanks to the team.
    Edited by Peekachu99 on September 8, 2016 2:18PM
  • project-2501-84neb18_ESO
    Peekachu99 wrote: »
    Not really interested in getting 4k just yet, but i am interested in ps4 pro if games will make use of the new hardware by ramping up the graphics, ESO being the main one

It says "higher graphical fidelity" for 1080p in the article, so yes.

Yeah the post wasn't showing up when i posted, lol sorry, i was being impatient.
    @ZOS_GinaBruno I too am interested in a list of improvements.
  • wookikiller95
    wookikiller95
    ✭✭✭
    That jesus beam at full health...
  • DPShiro
    DPShiro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really hope you are planning to do the same for Xbox Scorpio!
    ~ Gryphon Heart ~
    ~ Immortal Redeemer ~
    ~ Grand Master Crafter ~
    ~ Master Angler ~
    ~ Former Emperor ~
  • Rhazmuz
    Rhazmuz
    ✭✭✭
    Along with higher fidelty on 1080p tvs Will we also see Better Performance, ie More stable fps in trials and cyrodiil?
    Edited by Rhazmuz on September 8, 2016 2:41PM
    Rhazmuz - Nord DK tank
    PS4 - EU
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DPShiro wrote: »
    I really hope you are planning to do the same for Xbox Scorpio!

I'm pretty sure they will. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Upscaled 1080p to 4k at 30 frames, "4k". I can't believe people still fall for these marketing tricks. Funny thing is, the thing lacks a 4k blu-ray player. It might improve the experience for people playing at normal 1080p tho.
    Edited by Woeler on September 8, 2016 3:01PM
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So does this change in the graphic fidelity equate to "High" on the PC today?

-PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So does this change in the graphic fidelity equate to "High" on the PC today?

It looks somewhere in that neighbourhood: better draw distance, better AF and texture mapping, improved lighting (though that could be HDR in effect). I watched the trailer in 4K on a 4K screen a few times and that's what I noticed. It's definitely native 4K, too, and not using interpolation or chequerboarding. I know since that's how I play on PTS on my rig. FIdelity seems pretty close. Pretty sure it's not "ultra", though.
    Edited by Peekachu99 on September 8, 2016 3:29PM
  • Mike_IG
    Mike_IG
    Woeler wrote: »
    Upscaled 1080p to 4k at 30 frames, "4k". I can't believe people still fall for these marketing tricks. Funny thing is, the thing lacks a 4k blu-ray player. It might improve the experience for people playing at normal 1080p tho.

The post says NATIVE 4K so not upscaled. Which is strange as I've seen more powerful PC's not able to play 4K at a decent frame rate so it will be interesting to see what the FPS is on the PS4 pro.
  • Sophist_NA
    Sophist_NA
    ✭✭
    Is it confirmed that PS4 PRO will be able to run ESO at 60 fps? I don't care much about 4K, but if I can keep my current graphic settings and play Cyrodiil at 60 fps, then it's worth the upgrade for me.
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sophist_NA wrote: »
    Is it confirmed that PS4 PRO will be able to run ESO at 60 fps? I don't care much about 4K, but if I can keep my current graphic settings and play Cyrodiil at 60 fps, then it's worth the upgrade for me.

Even my rig (980TI SLI, 6700K) dips under 60 in Cyro on ultra. To reiterate: I'm fine if they have some kind of adaptive sync enabled. It seemed like that in the video: 30fps, maybe more in some areas, with no tearing.

Maybe ping a ZoSser again and see if we get any details.
  • mad0ni0n
    mad0ni0n
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just upscaled, the xbox one s can do that now for much less money. it's actually rendering the game at 4k.
  • Sophist_NA
    Sophist_NA
    ✭✭

Even my rig (980TI SLI, 6700K) dips under 60 in Cyro on ultra. To reiterate: I'm fine if they have some kind of adaptive sync enabled. It seemed like that in the video: 30fps, maybe more in some areas, with no tearing.

Maybe ping a ZoSser again and see if we get any details.

I mean as long as it's at a reasonable range, like 40-50 fps at Cyrodiil, then that's still a huge upgrade. But if it's constantly going to be 20 fps and below during zergfests, then it's not worth it.
  • MotokoKusanagi34
    MotokoKusanagi34
    ✭✭✭

No and it won't run above 30 fps in any mode because Sony doesn't allow multiplayer games to have different frame rates. It may go from unstable 30 to locked 30 but it won't go unlocked or 60, due to the unfair advantage some players would have. Some press folks tweeted that not too long ago.
  • Neirymn
    Neirymn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah it's pretty, but I'm much interested in performance than visuals. :)
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

No and it won't run above 30 fps in any mode because Sony doesn't allow multiplayer games to have different frame rates. It may go from unstable 30 to locked 30 but it won't go unlocked or 60, due to the unfair advantage some players would have. Some press folks tweeted that not too

No and it won't run above 30 fps in any mode because Sony doesn't allow multiplayer games to have different frame rates. It may go from unstable 30 to locked 30 but it won't go unlocked or 60, due to the unfair advantage some players would have. Some press folks tweeted that not too long ago.

DCUO and FFXIV run at different FPS depending on the platform. I don't think this rule applies to MMORPGs. I think it's for lobby based shooters and such. Even the recent FAQ on PS Blog talked about how games could run at different FPS. Whatever that Twitter dude tweeted yesterday, it hasn't been reiterated by Sony.

All that aside, I'm hopeful for a 60 "target", with actual performance varying scene to scene. 30 is probably what we'll get, though, and 4K resolution with all the shiny stuff they'll add will more than suffice for me.
  • GoliathYT
    GoliathYT
    November 10 needs to hurry up looks amazing
  • KICHZY
    KICHZY
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I was to purchase this Playstation 4 Pro will I need to buy ESO again?
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    KICHZY wrote: »

No. Everything transfers via library rights or by running an Ethernet cable between the two devices while signed in. PS Blog has a massive FAQ up that explains a lot of the concepts, capabilities and features of the machine.
  • FoxEsquire
    FoxEsquire
    ✭✭
    Unless you are using HDMI 2.0 or Display Port, you are not going to get 4K at 60 FPS.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/accessories/pc-monitors/1404476/hdmi-vs-displayport-vs-dvi-vs-vga-every-connection-explained

Better hope that Sony includes an HDMI 2.0 or Display Port jack on the PS4 Pro, or you are getting ripped off. Enjoy being stuck with 4K capped at 30 FPS and the wonderful eyestrain that comes with it if it doesn't come with either. Believe me, you'd be surprised how most $1.5k-$5k 4K tv's only come with 1 measly HDMI 1.4 connection and dozens of connections for your 1980's VCR and 1990's DVD player, lol.
    Edited by FoxEsquire on September 9, 2016 1:40AM
  • Fexelea
    Fexelea
    ✭✭✭
    When I first saw the announcement, the first thing I thought is: OMG NO MORE GRAPHICS LAG IN WROTHGAR!

Having played on PC for a year before transferring to PS4, I'm really happy to hear about this graphics update and the possibility of more stable framerate and better draw distance. The price of the PS4 Pro is surprisingly reasonable as well, and since I already have a 4k tv I'm all in for this upgrade.

Yay.
    Join the fan-powered community wiki for Elder Scrolls Online.
    https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Elder+Scrolls+Online+Wiki. All Eso Sets
    or check out the Dark Souls Wiki. We also have a Sekiro Wiki Bloodborne Wiki, Elden Ring Wiki and Dark Souls 3 Wiki

• Strei_Kiinxei
    Strei_Kiinxei
    ✭✭✭
    This is the official discussion thread for the blog article The Elder Scrolls Online - PlayStation 4 Pro Announcement, coming on November 10th. Will you be experiencing Tamriel in 4K?

Are there any whispers about in the offices or with Microsoft of doing the same for Project Scorpio?
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    FoxEsquire wrote: »
    Unless you are using HDMI 2.0 or Display Port, you are not going to get 4K at 60 FPS.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/accessories/pc-monitors/1404476/hdmi-vs-displayport-vs-dvi-vs-vga-every-connection-explained

Better hope that Sony includes an HDMI 2.0 or Display Port jack on the PS4 Pro, or you are getting ripped off. Enjoy being stuck with 4K capped at 30 FPS and the wonderful eyestrain that comes with it if it doesn't come with either. Believe me, you'd be surprised how most $1.5k-$5k 4K tv's only come with 1 measly HDMI 1.4 connection and dozens of connections for your 1980's VCR and 1990's DVD player, lol.

It's already confirmed to ship with a 2.0 cable.
  • KICHZY
    KICHZY
    ✭✭✭✭
    KICHZY wrote: »

No. Everything transfers via library rights or by running an Ethernet cable between the two devices while signed in. PS Blog has a massive FAQ up that explains a lot of the concepts, capabilities and features of the machine.

Thanks, It all seems rather confusing lol
  • FoxEsquire
    FoxEsquire
    ✭✭

Ah, but a 2.0 cable won't do you any good if your TV or monitor doesn't have a HDMI 2.0 jack. Better double check before you plunk down a bunch of cash.

A quote from the article I linked: "The good news, where it comes to 1.4 vs 2.0, is that you don’t need to rush out and buy new cables. To take advantage of the 2.0 specification you just need both devices on each end of the cable to be 2.0 compatible. Any HDMI cable will do, and we’ve already seen that there’s no difference in HDMI cable quality."
    Edited by FoxEsquire on September 9, 2016 9:00AM
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Ah, but a 2.0 cable won't do you any good if your TV or monitor doesn't have a HDMI 2.0 jack. Better double check before you plunk down a bunch of cash.

A quote from the article I linked: "The good news, where it comes to 1.4 vs 2.0, is that you don’t need to rush out and buy new cables. To take advantage of the 2.0 specification you just need both devices on each end of the cable to be 2.0 compatible. Any HDMI cable will do, and we’ve already seen that there’s no difference in HDMI cable quality."

Almost every modern UHD set should have 2.0. Anything from late 2015 or from this year onward. It was only the early adopter, first generation 4K sets that had this issue, as there was no consortium to decide upon specs. All of Samsung's 9000 and up series have 2.0. I have one, and it's a great set. Come down quite a bit in price, too. I did have an early 4K Sony set that I had to exchange for the exact reason we're discussing, since I couldn't run proper 4K on it when I built my rig.
    Edited by Peekachu99 on September 9, 2016 11:04AM
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mike_IG wrote: »
    Woeler wrote: »

The post says NATIVE 4K so not upscaled. Which is strange as I've seen more powerful PC's not able to play 4K at a decent frame rate so it will be interesting to see what the FPS is on the PS4 pro.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-isnt-4k-that-doesnt-matter/
    The PS4 Pro does not have the horsepower to render native 4K. Developers are already admitting that. Guerrilla Games confirmed that it isn’t rendering Horizon: Zero Dawn, its open-world sci-fi adventure, at the 3,840 x 2160 resolution that is standard for 4K. Sony itself plainly stated yesterday during its event in Manhattan that it didn’t want to make a machine that could fill all 8 million pixels of a 4K television set.

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2016/09/07/ps4-pros-4k-output-is-upscaled-not-native/224790/
    According to a press release sent out moments after the conference by Sony Interactive Entertainment, a small footnote states that PS4 Pro’s “4K quality images” as described, will only be made possible by “graphic rendering or up-scaled” means — indicating that the console’s 4K visuals are not native.

Maybe ESO can theoretically run in 4k on such a system, as it is bound mostly ro cpu performance, not gpu performance, but even then it will struggle to get a decent 30 frames on hardware like that.
    Edited by Woeler on September 9, 2016 4:49PM