The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What is the optimal race for a magicka templar?

Conjurer
Conjurer
✭✭
I know there is tons of other threads about this but they are mostly inconclusive. And I was curious about which is the most popular race for a magicka templar.
Edited by Conjurer on August 30, 2016 1:13PM

What is the optimal race for a magicka templar? 94 votes

Altmer
37%
Solarikendcorsiukb14_ESOTheBullTanis-Stormbindertplink3r1McIDHaledutchbrownieEirellaAquanovaAaronBouldinlillybitTakes-No-PrisonerAnzrielBrrrofskiMrTarkanian48AliyavanaAfkNinjaErzieherllllADBllll 35 votes
Breton
29%
DeadlyRecluseLightspeedflashb14_ESOElara_NorthwindStannummertustanickreb17_ESOCALiiGeDDonsollMcHinaMemnockMinnoGERMANO-THE-IMPERIALStiltzCaptainVenomGracouscrusnik91Myrcydereck_phantommitchtheelderLieblingsjunge 28 votes
Dunmer
23%
Mojmirhedna123b14_ESOcavakthestampedeDschiPeuntjoujoubee34_ESOStilliansubtlezeroub17_ESOkixsaxRajajshkaJerzeeDevilDrahnOreyn_Bearclawsladen_eostimidobserveriRogue32AcsvfCravallloNeoauspexhemin23lokesgard 22 votes
Imperial
9%
jlewis_ESOMinscWonderdog1TorbschkathreefarmsKingYogi415susmitdsnorbertixSaucyJake 9 votes
  • Lieblingsjunge
    Lieblingsjunge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton
    My main Templar is an Altmer, but I do prefer my EP/DC's Breton tbh. The cost-reduction is amazing now that they silently increased all costs with the previous DLC. I guess for high-end maximum dmg-output with a maelstrom-staff, Altmer might be better as the damage-increase from elem.

I do prefer my Breton anyway. :cookie:
    Ignorance is the greatest weapon of tyranny.
    PC - EU.
    Lieblingsjunge(AD) - Racechanged Argonian :< | AR 50 - No double AP or Bleakers involved |
    Sits-On-Cacti(DC) - Problem?
    Fail-With-Tail(AD) - Healing Springs-spammer :<
    Tiny Liebs(EP) - Very Tiny. Also heals.
    Lieblingsmädchen(DC) - Magplar is love.
    The Dominàtrix(AD) - Chains, whip, whip, whip.
    Fluffy Furball Kitten(DC) - Kittycat, meow.
    Your Face(EP) - People make bad jokes about my name =(
    Liebs-With-Trees(AD) - Male argo with a big tail :>

Officer/Sandwitch of Zerg Squad
    My title: The Maneater, Destroyer of Maneuvers, Bane of Potatoes, she who devours them, The Black Hole, the humorless, first of her name.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Altmer
    Dumner for straight pve dps.

Altmer for all round. Good for dps and healing, good sustain for pvp too.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    popular or optimal?
    Thats 2 different things

Heal/DPS/Tank PVE/PVP?
    Samuel Crow - Nachtklinge - PC-EU-DC
    Saint_Crow Twitch / Youtube
    ESO Stream Team Member
    Noractis
  • Conjurer
    Conjurer
    ✭✭
    The_Saint wrote: »
    popular or optimal?
    Thats 2 different things

Heal/DPS/Tank PVE/PVP?

I'd like to think that the most popular choice will be the optimal considering it is the most popular for a reason. And I'd like to keep all my options open. So which is the optimal overall.
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Argonian for heals and magicka maintainance with 12% resource return when drinking pots, as well as a good health buff and resistance. They aren't as squishy as other magicka-based classes.
    Edited by WuffyCerulei on August 30, 2016 1:23PM
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Altmer
    Argonian for heals and magicka maintainance with 12% resource return when drinking pots, as well as a good health buff and resistance. They aren't as squishy as other magicka-based classes.

Altmer will out preform an Argonian for sustain.
  • MrTarkanian48
    MrTarkanian48
    ✭✭✭✭
    Altmer
    Mag Templars are arguably the best healers in the game. They have some powerful healing abilities, easy access to major mending, and also great group support abilities with Shards, Repentence, etc.

They also are very competitive as damage dealers with several dot damage skills, and Radiant Destruction which is the best execute in the game.

I would say Altmer would be the safest choice if you want to be flexible and be able to switch between roles. 10% magic, and 9% regen are useful for both roles. The added elemental damage will also boost some Templar skills and attacks with the destro skill line.

If you know you want to be a healer, the best specialized race would be either Breton or Argonian (since the latest DLC). I heal on my Altmer mainly now, but sometimes with it was Breton for the added spell resist. Running around in all light armor makes you vulnerable and every bit of mitigation can be helpful.

Maximum damage would probably be Dunmer with 7% flame damage, but you don't get any boost to resource management.

Wood Elf Stam NB (PVP)
    Redguard Stam Sorc (PVP)
    Altmer NB (DPS)
    Imperial DK (Tank)
    Redguard DK (DPS)
    Altmer Templar (Healer)

EP - PS4
  • Tormy
    Tormy
    ✭✭✭
    argonian or altmer depending on what your building towards
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altmer

I've ran a Argonian healer before, all these things are true. Sadly, it didn't work out for my playstyle. But Argonian definitely going to be a little better with the recent race changes.

The health passive is a really nice plus. Great for PVP which is mainly what I did.
    Edited by Takes-No-Prisoner on August 30, 2016 3:10PM
  • bertenburnyb16_ESO
    bertenburnyb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    best dunno
    most awesome argonian foso
    Haze Ramoran Dunmer Dragonknight Tank/Dps – Smoked-Da-Herb Saxheel Templar Tank/Healer

Red Diamond, Protect us 'til the end (EU EP Thorn)
  • Anzriel
    Anzriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Altmer
    Depends. For all around I'd say altmer due to regen, but for those who are pure pve I'd say dunmer.
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It really depends on what you want to do with it.

For pure heals - Argonian or Altmer
    For DPS/heals - Dunmer or Altmer
    For tank - Argonian or Dunmer.
    Argonian forever
  • Conjurer
    Conjurer
    ✭✭

What about Breton? They have spell resistance so they're suitable as a tank, they have magicka reduction so they can be healers and finally they have max magicka for DPS.
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Conjurer wrote: »

What about Breton? They have spell resistance so they're suitable as a tank, they have magicka reduction so they can be healers and finally they have max magicka for DPS.

1) Spell Resistance is the easiest stat for tanks to cap. Even without trying, you'll hit resist cap on most builds so the extra spell resist is practically useless. Argonians have more health and Dunmer have more stamina, both of which are much more useful to tanking than spell resistance.

2) 3% Cost reduction is mildly useful but since it suffers from diminish returns, it becomes a lot less useful in comparion to Altmer's regen passive. Argonians might lack the high magic of Bretons but coupled with the 5% extra healing Argonians have as well as the 12% potion return, it makes Argonians slightly better pure healers than Bretons.

3) Breton falls behind both Dunmer and Altmer when it comes to magic DPS, since a large portion of a standard magic build's DPS is elemental in nature, which those 2 races have passive increases for.

I'm not saying Bretons are bad but when comparing what they offer against the other magic races, they fall behind slightly and considering that the OP wants the most optimal, Breton does not fall into this category sadly.
    Argonian forever
  • Conjurer
    Conjurer
    ✭✭

1) Spell Resistance is the easiest stat for tanks to cap. Even without trying, you'll hit resist cap on most builds so the extra spell resist is practically useless. Argonians have more health and Dunmer have more stamina, both of which are much more useful to tanking than spell resistance.

2) 3% Cost reduction is mildly useful but since it suffers from diminish returns, it becomes a lot less useful in comparion to Altmer's regen passive. Argonians might lack the high magic of Bretons but coupled with the 5% extra healing Argonians have as well as the 12% potion return, it makes Argonians slightly better pure healers than Bretons.

3) Breton falls behind both Dunmer and Altmer when it comes to magic DPS, since a large portion of a standard magic build's DPS is elemental in nature, which those 2 races have passive increases for.

I'm not saying Bretons are bad but when comparing what they offer against the other magic races, they fall behind slightly and considering that the OP wants the most optimal, Breton does not fall into this category sadly.

1) Isn't the spell resistance cap is 33k? I don't know about you but with a light armor build I'm nowhere near that.

2) I don't know how diminishing returns work and how less effective they make reduction than regen.

3) Most dps on a Templar will be done using the Aedric Spear skill line which contains no elemental damage. Infact there is only one Templar skill that does fire damage and that is reflective light.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Altmer

1) Isn't the spell resistance cap is 33k? I don't know about you but with a light armor build I'm nowhere near that.

2) I don't know how diminishing returns work and how less effective they make reduction than regen.

3) Most dps on a Templar will be done using the Aedric Spear skill line which contains no elemental damage. Infact there is only one Templar skill that does fire damage and that is reflective light.

The main dps is sweeps. With a medium destro weave in between every sweep.

While wall of elements is down.

Dropping shooting stars as ultimate.

That extra damage of high elf or dumner adds up
  • Conjurer
    Conjurer
    ✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »

But is that 4% fire damage increase worth giving up 4k spell resist?
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Altmer

For pve, absolutely.

For pvp, I don't think it makes a huge difference either way.
  • Pallio
    Pallio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton
    Because Templars job is to heal.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer
    Breton for Heals, Dunmer for Damage, Altmer for all around, Argonian if you want to look like Godzilla...
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunmer
    Dunmer if you maelstrom staff
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton
    For pvp: picking a Breton Templar could mean the difference between stretching stats to reach attempt to reach 30k spell resistance or easily getting 33k and dedicating CP towards physical defense. The cost reduction helps for niche blazing shield builds looking to maximize magicka resource regen this patch.

For PVE, I would choose altmer for dps.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton

For pve, absolutely.

For pvp, I don't think it makes a huge difference either way.

Unless you are a vampire. Fire can hurt lol
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Imperial
    PVP heavy Armour healz. or stamplar DPS!!

Cheers!
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Breton
    Breton is the best for any class for me.... :lol:

I choose Breton for all of my magicka classes, but in all honesty, for my templar I find it to be the best. I have tried templar in many races, as a templar addict, and Breton just seems more survivable, and overall better than the others. I am not one of those people who checks numbers and tries to always min/max everything, I am just going by the way that my characters play, and my breton templar is, has always been, and will always be, my main and my best :smile:
    Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind