Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why do people hate gankers?

jarradarab
jarradarab
✭✭✭
I mean isn't that the whole point of being an Assassin? To get in unnoticed, hit hard and kill and then sink back into the shadows as if you were never there. I'm not a ganker but ive just leveled a NB to CP rank and will be building it into a gank build for this reason.
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go about your business and gank them despite the hate. Some people would hate you no matter how you killed them.
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Go forth and gank, the tears of the fallen will sustain you.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll make some very very happy during the times that you fail. People get really excited about failed gank attempts.
  • jarradarab
    jarradarab
    ✭✭✭
    Sandman929 wrote: »
    Go about your business and gank them despite the hate. Some people would hate you no matter how you killed them.

Yeah true I guess. I get killed by gankers all the time and its never bothered me, is it slightly annoying, sure but then so is dying while in a fight an having to run back anyway. I just dont get the people you see calling them scumbags etc
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Because they are so hard to avoid getting killed. Of course a night blade assassin "is supposed" to be like that!

It just somehow sucks, to not see any enemy around and then suddenly behind me a night blade appears from stealth and kills me in 2 seconds and then again gets into stealth :smiley:

Give haters some love and forgive them their hate and anger and enjoy your ganker glass cannon build :)!!
  • Ahzek
    Ahzek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ganking is hated becuase the general goal of ganking is to kill your enemy without giving a chance to fight back.
    If people dont have a chance to fight back they feel powerless, get frustrated (especially after geting ganked repeatedly) and ultimately become angry.
    This gets amplified by the fact gankers often have even less "skill" at open combat than the average player, since they stack the odds so much in their favor through the alpha strike so they get very little actual PvP experience. This is however subjective opinion from me spanking gankers.

And unlike in a moba game or other genres a ganker/ assasin does not aim to kill a high threat target to make it easier for his team, but instead only kills for personal gain (or that of the 2-24 man gank squad preying on single targets). On top of that gankers often seem to look for the weak and unexperienced when choosing their targets, just to guarantee they actually get something.
    Jo'Khaljor
  • WhiteMage
    WhiteMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why don't people like gankers? Why would they? They're just running along to a fight/doing some PvE not expecting to find anyone in between then and their goal (both a reasonable and simultaneously absurd expectation) and suddenly they're off their horse at half health with an unpurgable stun on them. They panic cause they no they're f'ed, but the actualization of their fears isn't a consolation. And now, they have to run back again. If you have a slow mount that is the real torture, especially knowing the ganker could be anywhere in between.

That's just on a successful gank. A failed one is fun and awesomeeither because you got a fight you weren't looking for or you don't have to run back etc. I'd imagine your indiviual perception of gankers would depend on how frequently you succumb to one.

My perception actually varies depending on my toon. On my PvPer, a gank attempt is a free 1v1 and if the ganker can't 1v1, free kill. So I like gankers. On my lowbies that need vigor/proxy/whatever, I hate gankers cuz I get rekt. Badly. Often multiple times. Oh, but I make sure not to send rage tells. I have to maintain my own self-respect after all.
    The generally amicable yet sporadically salty magplar that may or may not have 1vXed you in Sotha Sil. Who knows?
  • Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because 99/100 gankers are skillless bads being carried by the Wrobel one shot meta.
    Susano'o

Zerg Squad
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahzek wrote: »
    Ganking is hated becuase the general goal of ganking is to kill your enemy without giving a chance to fight back.
    If people dont have a chance to fight back they feel powerless, get frustrated (especially after geting ganked repeatedly) and ultimately become angry.
    This gets amplified by the fact gankers often have even less "skill" at open combat than the average player, since they stack the odds so much in their favor through the alpha strike so they get very little actual PvP experience. This is however subjective opinion from me spanking gankers.

And unlike in a moba game or other genres a ganker/ assasin does not aim to kill a high threat target to make it easier for his team, but instead only kills for personal gain (or that of the 2-24 man gank squad preying on single targets). On top of that gankers often seem to look for the weak and unexperienced when choosing their targets, just to guarantee they actually get something.

This is pretty much the answer. The feeling of powerlessness when destroyed by someone you weren't even aware of. In a game, we feel we should always have a fair chance of survival and success. When those odds are stacked against us such that often times we have no chance to react or respond, frustration sets in. When the assassin is also able to successfully sneak away without the chance of retaliation from your allies that frustration escalates. I'm not saying that it's necessarily a bad thing to have in the game, but this is the thought process that I suspect goes through the victim's mind.
  • jarradarab
    jarradarab
    ✭✭✭
    Wollust wrote: »
    Because 99/100 gankers are skillless bads being carried by the Wrobel one shot meta.

To this i would then add why do you hate someone who is bad at the game? Maybe for some people its the only way they can get kills?
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because many people prefer not to look in the mirror when they're doing something wrong. And if someone is constantly getting ganked, they're doing something wrong.
  • Astanphaeus
    Astanphaeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ganking isn't the part that hated. It's that all those kills that gankers get gives them a huge ego despite playing the easiest game style there is in PvP.
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When magic sorc was good I would team up with another guildy and i would sit in stealth with inner light, bound aegis, duel wield nirn swords, power surge and defensive rune on and a 1000 ulti in overload. I was 4000 plus spell damage and 52 k magic. He would be bait and those pesky NB would ambush in I would take 2 shots... dead. I never once had to take a third shot... ever it was sooo fun. The rage tells were epic.... highlight of all ESO playing for the last 2.4 years. I don't know how hard i was hitting but considerably over 20 k damage. Most gankers are carrying 19 to 20.4 k at that time.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not hate gankers . I laugh and respawn .
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not hate gankers . I laugh and respawn .

And then I search them out because that fight is better than fighting 20 poison injection spammers.
    Edited by Minno on August 31, 2016 10:09PM
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seldom take the direct route between keeps, and take a different route after getting ganked. I don't get upset about it, but do try to make it as boring as possible for them! ;) When I first started off in PvP (as a bow-wielding hybrid sorc), I got my feet wet ganking. But for me it got boring real fast. I found I liked working through large unpredictable fights more than trying to perfect target selection and the "gank sequence". To each their own...
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There is nothing quite like the feeling when u start to git gud and stop that ganker dead in his tracks for the first time.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Stoopid_Nwah
    Stoopid_Nwah
    ✭✭✭✭
    zyk wrote: »
    Because many people prefer not to look in the mirror when they're doing something wrong. And if someone is constantly getting ganked, they're doing something wrong.
    So true. And when I run across someone that I truly just can't gank with my opener I bail while being thoroughly impressed (unless it was due to shuffle, then it's more :expressionless:)...
  • Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That is the point of being an assassin. Assassins aren't really the most well liked people. In game or real life, people find it cowardly. Enjoy their rage, and keep ganking.
    PC/EU DC
  • Lucius_Aelius
    Lucius_Aelius
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a legitimate strategy in warfare so there's nothing wrong with it per se, it's just the most cowardly way to fight even though it's effective, and some people get inflated egos and think they're hot stuff for getting kills against people that don't stand a chance. In this game the burst is so strong that most people simply cannot survive the opening salvo, especially since on horseback if you get knocked off you can't break free of the animation and you're usually dead before you can stand even on tankier builds like mine.

I think the animation of being knocked off your horse needs to be able to be broken free of like any stun, and gankers need to remember they're nothing special for fighting in the least challenging way possible (at least if they want any respect), but ganking is and will remain a legitimate and effective strategy and there's nothing inherently wrong with doing it, mainly it's just obnoxious to be on the receiving end and (especially when being ganked by multiple people at once) not standing a chance or even having the opportunity to fight back.

The reasons it's annoying are also the reasons why it works though, so it is what it is, Guerilla warfare always sucks whenever you're not the guerilla fighter (and sometimes even when you are, it's not always fun to be outmatched and not be able to do anything besides gank and hope your enemy dies before they have a chance to fight back, otherwise it can end very badly for the ganker).
    Edited by Lucius_Aelius on August 31, 2016 10:32PM
    Daggerfall Covenant - Scourge (Xbox NA) - GT: Lucius Aelius - Lord - 648CP
    Lucius Aelius Aurelius - 50 Imperial Dragonknight - Centurion - Stam Tank
    Lucius Aelius Valerius - 50 Imperial Templar - Lieutenant - Mag Heal/DPS
    Lucius Aelius Regulus - 50 Imperial Nightblade - First Sergeant - Stam DPS
    Lucius Aelius Augustus - 50 Imperial Sorcerer - Corporal - Mag DPS
    Wags-His-Tail - 20 Argonian Sorcerer - Recruit - TBD
    Holds-The-Line - 40 Argonian Dragonknight - Recruit - TBD
    Carries-Extra-Gear - 4 Argonian Dragonknight - Recruit - TBD
    Guildmaster - Wardens of the Covenant
    Group Leader - xpThe Guildxp
    Trader - Secret Sauce
    Trader - Elite Dungeoneers
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wayfarerx wrote: »
    Go forth and gank, the tears of the fallen will sustain you.
    This is it. Gankers are like a virus and must be cured for the righteous men and women to live!
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Lokey0024
    Lokey0024
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wollust wrote: »

This. Cant think fast, but can watch a youtube vid on the ultracheezybuild by x that 1 shots peeps.
  • covenant_merchant
    covenant_merchant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being a ganker in this game is the easiest playstyle ever. That's where the hate comes from. Any nub can one shot a guy thanks to Wrobel and incapacitating strike. Those pugs running amok and having no idea how their class even works are recognizable by their inability to escape following a gank or attempted gank, buff up, remain dignified in open combat, or anything really.
    I do respect good gankers. Those who one shot a guy, remain undetected, then pick off their target's partners one by one by one by one by one by one... You get my point.
    However all the wanna-be stamina kamikazes jumping on an afking or riding guy, one shotting him with ambush + fear + incap + viper (+velidreth) combo, and then being unable to flee or fight back should their gank fail, those are people who deserve hate, or at the very least strong disdain for being fotm clueless pugs with no willingness to improve because "hey I totally incap'ed a guy to death".
  • Chori
    Chori
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love gankers, specially the ones that after I 3 shot them they reply like "omfg you 2k WD roll dodging scrub I'm so much better than you" rage rage rage rage rage.
    EP NA-PC - Invictus - Odem Mortis
    1. Stamina NB Cat - ChoriB'Good
    2. Magicka NB High Elf - Lîndara
    3. Stam Sorc High Elf - Lindara Moonlight
    4. Red Guard Stamina DK - Chorî
    5. Red Guard Stamina Templar - Choripaninikinnie
    6. Magplar High Elf - Vagitarian Sillonour
    Don't tell me you lag, I play with 200-300 ms all the time ^_^
  • Stoopid_Nwah
    Stoopid_Nwah
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a legitimate strategy in warfare so there's nothing wrong with it per se, it's just the most cowardly way to fight even though it's effective, and some people get inflated egos and think they're hot stuff for getting kills against people that don't stand a chance. In this game the burst is so strong that most people simply cannot survive the opening salvo, especially since on horseback if you get knocked off you can't break free of the animation and you're usually dead before you can stand even on tankier builds like mine.

I think the animation of being knocked off your horse needs to be able to be broken free of like any stun, and gankers need to remember they're nothing special for fighting in the least challenging way possible (at least if they want any respect), but ganking is and will remain a legitimate and effective strategy and there's nothing inherently wrong with doing it, mainly it's just obnoxious to be on the receiving end and (especially when being ganked by multiple people at once) not standing a chance or even having the opportunity to fight back.

The reasons it's annoying are also the reasons why it works though, so it is what it is, Guerilla warfare always sucks whenever you're not the guerilla fighter (and sometimes even when you are, it's not always fun to be outmatched and not be able to do anything besides gank and hope your enemy dies before they have a chance to fight back, otherwise it can end very badly for the ganker).
    This one has been ganked.

Lol but on a serious note, what isn't considered cowardly in this game? Sorcs that streak away and minecamp? Templars that stand at the back of a zerg beaming anything they see? The Templars and dks that rely on malubeth being broken? The stam builds dodge rolling like monkeys with shuffle up so they seemingly never get hit?

I never understood the hate tells of "yeah well you're just a stupid coward using invisibility". Pretty sure people just have big egos, and when a decent ganker comes their way and melts them they feel some sort of injustice has been done to them lol.
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I LOVE gankers. I also love being a Reactive magplar. They pop out and wave around their giggle sticks for a few seconds and then I swap bars and push their poop in. I send a little "<3" whisper and hit Repentance over their body a few times and continue on my way. Great times.
  • Lucius_Aelius
    Lucius_Aelius
    ✭✭✭✭

This one has been ganked.

Lol but on a serious note, what isn't considered cowardly in this game? Sorcs that streak away and minecamp? Templars that stand at the back of a zerg beaming anything they see? The Templars and dks that rely on malubeth being broken? The stam builds dodge rolling like monkeys with shuffle up so they seemingly never get hit?

I never understood the hate tells of "yeah well you're just a stupid coward using invisibility". Pretty sure people just have big egos, and when a decent ganker comes their way and melts them they feel some sort of injustice has been done to them lol.

Running away and/or hiding is by definition cowardly, but it's also legitimate strategy in warfare, living to fight another day and whatnot. There have been lots of people too brave to run away and/or hide in real life, and it got them killed so there's only so much good you can say about being brave in warfare, sometimes you just need to be a coward to win. People like fair games though and not being able to fight back feels cheap even when it's good strategy, and especially when gankers have big egos just for being good at cowardly tactics then it's easy to understand why they're looked down upon by other players who don't gank much or at all themselves.
    Daggerfall Covenant - Scourge (Xbox NA) - GT: Lucius Aelius - Lord - 648CP
    Lucius Aelius Aurelius - 50 Imperial Dragonknight - Centurion - Stam Tank
    Lucius Aelius Valerius - 50 Imperial Templar - Lieutenant - Mag Heal/DPS
    Lucius Aelius Regulus - 50 Imperial Nightblade - First Sergeant - Stam DPS
    Lucius Aelius Augustus - 50 Imperial Sorcerer - Corporal - Mag DPS
    Wags-His-Tail - 20 Argonian Sorcerer - Recruit - TBD
    Holds-The-Line - 40 Argonian Dragonknight - Recruit - TBD
    Carries-Extra-Gear - 4 Argonian Dragonknight - Recruit - TBD
    Guildmaster - Wardens of the Covenant
    Group Leader - xpThe Guildxp
    Trader - Secret Sauce
    Trader - Elite Dungeoneers
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like it when somebody tries to gank you, and they fail, and then try to run away and you RD them to the ground, and then they whisper you to tell you to shove your jesus beam up your arse :lol:
    Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
  • Serjustin19
    Serjustin19
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love gankers. Really do. Why. Because you can learn from them. Everytime you are ganked. You will know something more about your opponet and other gankers. Most of the time. It is your fault to be Ganked. Same thing applies to gankers if they are ganked by other gankers. Play smart. Learn from last experiances. Keep trying and bot give up.
    Formerly Serjustin19, Save for Forum Of Course.... Fiery_Darkness (PC NA) currently.
  • Stoopid_Nwah
    Stoopid_Nwah
    ✭✭✭✭
    Running away and/or hiding is by definition cowardly, but it's also legitimate strategy in warfare, living to fight another day and whatnot. There have been lots of people too brave to run away and/or hide in real life, and it got them killed so there's only so much good you can say about being brave in warfare, sometimes you just need to be a coward to win. People like fair games though and not being able to fight back feels cheap even when it's good strategy, and especially when gankers have big egos just for being good at cowardly tactics then it's easy to understand why they're looked down upon by other players who don't gank much or at all themselves.
    The number of times you used cowardly in that paragraph kinda just makes me hope you're Xbox NA-DC or AD.
    SadieJoan wrote: »
    I like it when somebody tries to gank you, and they fail, and then try to run away and you RD them to the ground, and then they whisper you to tell you to shove your jesus beam up your arse :lol:
    Hahaha if they were trying to gank without utilizing cloak and/or purge they deserved that beam :lol:.