Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

All’s fair…for a Nightblade?

geonsocal
geonsocal
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I’d like to preface this thread with a summary of Lt. Parker Barnes explanation, during the opening scene of Virtuosity, as to why he shot through a bunch of civilians in order to get to sid 6. whatever: “it’s just a game”

So, I see there are a few “hot” topic buttons for a large number of players: cancerous/one shot builds; T-bagging; the jesus beam; monkey dodge rolling shufflers; just about everything Zos tries to do with their updates; and, last but not least – ganking…

please, stay focused and try to keep it light…I thoroughly enjoy eso and I think it’s super cool to be able to communicate with others whom share my passion for the game…

please try to be nice, or, at least civil – even if you’re totally convinced someone’s else’s thoughts must be the product of the spawn of satan…please, leave your fighting in the game <3<3<3

okay, here we go - so I’m blessed with a few really good lifelong friends, one of whom I’m fortunate enough to game with…he was a fairly successful collegiate athlete and has the whole honor and integrity thing going on that he naturally carries into the game – it is absolutely hilarious to hear him go on about nightblades ganking folks, he’ll be going on about the cowards who won’t fight you straight up – literally while we are both playing NB’s waiting in stealth for some poor hapless soul to ride by to join “the battle” so we can kill them as quickly and silently as possible...

It’s kinda like getting mad at your cat for leaving a dead mouse or bird on your doorstep – why else do I have all these bonuses for attacking from stealth…

I assume the moment I leave my home base – I am officially on the menu…it didn’t take me too long to figure out that unless I was with a group or inside a keep – I needed to put my character in stealth…it was funny watching my buddy learn this lesson, I tried to explain it to him, but, I had to let us get wiped a few times before he really caught on…it’s such a part of my wiring now I even do it Wayrest and Rawl’kha at times when I’m buying stuff, ugh…

I have six characters (3 vet, 3 non vet, all classes, all aliances) all in PS4/NA’s most populated map – people try to gank me all the time – BUT (big butt) I don’t have every single attribute point stuck into either magicka or stamina, so 8 or 9 out of ten times it just doesn’t work for them - I’ve actually learned how to position my non-vets to use them as “bait”…I think people have caught on to that one though, cuz it’s hard for me sometimes to get folks to come off the walls for some friendly dueling…my biggest issue with my NB now is that I find myself all alone and way behind enemy lines all the time after a big fight…

If I feel like hunting, I prefer to do it around the outside of keeps and outposts…I solo cyro and IC a lot, and, normally when I run into someone going through a delve, completing a dolmen, doing quests - I’ll wait patiently until they are not engaged and shoot them a ‘hello” emote and try to work together…oh yeah the people out there farming – I leave them alone too – why would you attack someone who’s just picking flowers (unless it’s columbine of course – then, well, I don’t know >:) )…

Now if you’re sitting on your horse spaced out (ie. bathroom or fridge break) or you’re standing next to a recently seized resource and standing out in the open all loud and proud checking your map, inventory or assigning cp points – well, that’s a bit of a l2p situation there….

Seriously, why would Zos create a character like that, but, not to cull the weak from combat…as miss Jessica so eloquently put it – “I’m not bad. I’m just drawn that way”…
PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • laksikus
    laksikus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    seriously, i read all that. and dont have a clue what you want to tell us.
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »
    I’d like to preface this thread with a summary of Lt. Parker Barnes explanation, during the opening scene of Virtuosity, as to why he shot through a bunch of civilians in order to get to sid 6. whatever: “it’s just a game”

So, I see there are a few “hot” topic buttons for a large number of players: cancerous/one shot builds; T-bagging; the jesus beam; monkey dodge rolling shufflers; just about everything Zos tries to do with their updates; and, last but not least – ganking…

please, stay focused and try to keep it light…I thoroughly enjoy eso and I think it’s super cool to be able to communicate with others whom share my passion for the game…

please try to be nice, or, at least civil – even if you’re totally convinced someone’s else’s thoughts must be the product of the spawn of satan…please, leave your fighting in the game <3<3<3

okay, here we go - so I’m blessed with a few really good lifelong friends, one of whom I’m fortunate enough to game with…he was a fairly successful collegiate athlete and has the whole honor and integrity thing going on that he naturally carries into the game – it is absolutely hilarious to hear him go on about nightblades ganking folks, he’ll be going on about the cowards who won’t fight you straight up – literally while we are both playing NB’s waiting in stealth for some poor hapless soul to ride by to join “the battle” so we can kill them as quickly and silently as possible...

It’s kinda like getting mad at your cat for leaving a dead mouse or bird on your doorstep – why else do I have all these bonuses for attacking from stealth…

I assume the moment I leave my home base – I am officially on the menu…it didn’t take me too long to figure out that unless I was with a group or inside a keep – I needed to put my character in stealth…it was funny watching my buddy learn this lesson, I tried to explain it to him, but, I had to let us get wiped a few times before he really caught on…it’s such a part of my wiring now I even do it Wayrest and Rawl’kha at times when I’m buying stuff, ugh…

I have six characters (3 vet, 3 non vet, all classes, all aliances) all in PS4/NA’s most populated map – people try to gank me all the time – BUT (big butt) I don’t have every single attribute point stuck into either magicka or stamina, so 8 or 9 out of ten times it just doesn’t work for them - I’ve actually learned how to position my non-vets to use them as “bait”…I think people have caught on to that one though, cuz it’s hard for me sometimes to get folks to come off the walls for some friendly dueling…my biggest issue with my NB now is that I find myself all alone and way behind enemy lines all the time after a big fight…

If I feel like hunting, I prefer to do it around the outside of keeps and outposts…I solo cyro and IC a lot, and, normally when I run into someone going through a delve, completing a dolmen, doing quests - I’ll wait patiently until they are not engaged and shoot them a ‘hello” emote and try to work together…oh yeah the people out there farming – I leave them alone too – why would you attack someone who’s just picking flowers (unless it’s columbine of course – then, well, I don’t know >:) )…

Now if you’re sitting on your horse spaced out (ie. bathroom or fridge break) or you’re standing next to a recently seized resource and standing out in the open all loud and proud checking your map, inventory or assigning cp points – well, that’s a bit of a l2p situation there….

Seriously, why would Zos create a character like that, but, not to cull the weak from combat…as miss Jessica so eloquently put it – “I’m not bad. I’m just drawn that way”…

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom said that?!?

Ohhh right, Jessica RABBIT my bad :p
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I, don't think I understand the main point of this topic. Are you saying PvP Nightblade Mains are hypocrites? Or are you saying the Nightblade is too over powered for PvP?

From my perspective the Nightblade is only unfairly dangerous if you know exactly what to do and how to build it. My main is a Nightblade and I lose fights all the time. Sometimes I win them and it's extremely enjoyable but I'm no mister Gank Master. To be honest I'm better at Ganking with my Templar. Couple of Dark Flares and then a Radiant Glory and I've just melted someone.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dude-what-happened.jpg

I'm so lost
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ArchMikem ...to be honest I don't really communicate much in game...I like to watch other players use all the different classes to see what solutions rhey've come up with...

this is sort of my feeble attempt at social interaction to learn different techniques and "rules/guidelines" that other (more than likely very experienced) NB's use...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ArchMikem ...to be honest I don't really communicate much in game...I like to watch other players use all the different classes to see what solutions rhey've come up with...

this is sort of my feeble attempt at social interaction to learn different techniques and "rules/guidelines" that other (more than likely very experienced) NB's use...

There's no rules to playing a class, lol. Basically as you said, Nightblades are for attacking from stealth and doing as much damage as you can quickly. So Mark Target + Ambush + Incapacitating Strike + Surprise Attack + Steel Tornado/Killer's Blade and that's usually how the fight goes.
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

There's no rules to playing a class, lol. Basically as you said, Nightblades are for attacking from stealth and doing as much damage as you can quickly. So Mark Target + Ambush + Incapacitating Strike + Surprise Attack + Steel Tornado/Killer's Blade and that's usually how the fight goes.

If the community had their way, there would be:

Dragonknights: No DoTs or Talons.
    Sorcerers: No Shields or Streaking.
    Templars: No Radiant Destruction, Healing, or Malubeth set.
    Nightblades: No Ganking, and especially no Stealth.
    PvE: Everyone must be a DPS build, or a Healer with DPS.
    PvP: Everyone must run a gap closer and jump keeps with them.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If the community had their way, there would be:

Dragonknights: No DoTs or Talons.
    Sorcerers: No Shields or Streaking.
    Templars: No Radiant Destruction, Healing, or Malubeth set.
    Nightblades: No Ganking, and especially no Stealth.
    PvE: Everyone must be a DPS build, or a Healer with DPS.
    PvP: Everyone must run a gap closer and jump keeps with them.

Take away everything that is good about the classes and leave only the things that others can still have an advantage over. Yeah, sounds about right. I admit though my only two characters in the game are a DPS Stamblade and a DPS/Healing Magplar. And I mostly do PvE. :p
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    for a long time with my NB I was using ambush, flying blade, fear, immovable (realize now that wasn't exactly right)...finally noticed in my death recaps I was getting hit with a lot of surprise attack...use that now in conjunction with cloak...

I'm really interested though to hear folks opinion on when and when not to 'gank'...what is acceptable ganking...
    Edited by geonsocal on August 31, 2016 8:27PM
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    for a long time with my NB I was using ambush, flying blade, fear, immovable (realize now that wasn't exactly right)...finally noticed in my death recaps I was getting hit with a lot of surprise attack...use that now in conjunction with cloak...

I'm really interested though to hear folks opinion on when and when not to 'gank'...what is acceptable ganking...

My opinion? You come across a lone player that isn't posing a threat, or is even just focusing on the PvE aspects of Cyrodiil, should be left well enough alone. That is unless you go out of stealth to let them see you and try to establish communication with a waving emote, only for them to buff and come after you, then by all means Gank em.

I consider players in Cyrodiil doing the PvE daily quests as Non-combatants. It's only when they choose to engage you, or when they're assaulting a keep or other Alliance War objective that they become fair game.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    laksikus wrote: »
    seriously, i read all that. and dont have a clue what you want to tell us.

+1. My head has gone numb trying to figure it out.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

It's always acceptable and I don't even have a NB. If someone is dumb enough to fall into your trap, well played.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorry, just practicing a little with my interpretive writing skills, plus a chance to weave my buddy, who always cracks me up, into a post...yeah, that went over like a lead balloon...note to self - keep it coherent, keep it simple, keep it focused (= boring)...

I hadn't thought of it, but, stealth attacks just aren't for NB's...

where and when to ambush - any favorite spots?

who and how to gank - most effective abilities?

from the gankee (?) perspective - is it all just part of the game, or, a weak and cowardly (as my buddy describes it) move...
    Edited by geonsocal on August 31, 2016 9:11PM
  • catalyst10e
    catalyst10e
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bottom line is, no one likes to be killed without even given the chance to defend themselves at all. You go into PVP to do just that, fight other players. Ganking from outside a keep to stop reinforcements from arriving is a valid tactic, but the way the mechanics work right now, (for example, focus aim being able to fire at least 3 shots before your position is given away) allow for too much to be done while in stealth (within seconds) and validate the playstyle to the point no one is fighting anyone anymore it's all about who can 1 shot who. In any other multiplayer game a stealth mechanic would have some serious draw backs and possibly large cool downs. Even the counters given to us for just the one playstyle aren't as effective, and when they're made effective enough, they get a nerf.

Cloak in general, grants you access to loop holes no other class gets. If my Mag Sorc is hit with a Templar's Total Dark, I'm pretty much dead in the water. I'm locked out of using nearly all my abilities, any I do use is going to hurt me and heal my enemy, and if I happen to have the Stamina to break free, it will just get reapplied. The other option is to streak away entirely. A NB can just cloak, and wait it out. Your opponent can't attack you, they waste resources just looking for you, and you have so many options available even outside your class skills to move faster in stealth you have the actual option of either getting away, or waiting out the enemy. All other classes have to do a straight up fight or run, and that is where you get your disconnect from.
    "Why settle for just stabbing your foes when you can roast them alive in a gout of arcane fire?"
    [| DC Breton Sorcerer || NA PS4 || PSN: Catalyst10e |]
    [| DC Dunmer Dragon Knight |]
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bottom line is, no one likes to be killed without even given the chance to defend themselves at all. You go into PVP to do just that, fight other players.

thanks, perfect post, that was exactly what was going through my mind as I was waiting outside a keep for people to jump down on their horse...seemed like a good thought at the time -to hit them when they landed, but, the longer I waited the more lame the idea seemed (hmmmm, maybe ganking is more fun in groups)...

I ended up just trying to get someone to come off the wall and duel/kill me (long way from a friendly keep)...that didn't work so ended up riding from Blue road keep down to the 'bridge' ' cuz there's always folks there hiding and waiting for you :#
  • nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Virtuosity came on "Movies" at lunch today.

All I have to contribute to this thread.
    Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...
  • RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best way to use magblade in my opinion I really love mine when I have it : stealing all the way, scouting enemy group, burning sieges and especially tent, using some mark in order to made them panic (soooo fun sometime), and sometimes walking in a enemy zerg while they are sieging, impaling everyone who drop under 25% life by a siege. No solo gank (my char is builded on regens, not damage output), no one shot kill, only total opportunist stealkill in a zerg and scouting.

On the same hand, I have a lot of fun using inevitable det on a zerg vs zerg fight, especially when these two zerg are my enemies. And dropping a meteor on them, or on Molag Bal's dead on the sewer (2800 Tel Var with one ultimate this afternoon).

And when I do something else, I'm playing sap tank, or one of my seven other character (my stamsorc is one of my favorite).
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gank whomever, wherever, and whenever you want to - it is, as you suspect, an intended part of the game.
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bottom line is, no one likes to be killed without even given the chance to defend themselves at all. You go into PVP to do just that, fight other players. Ganking from outside a keep to stop reinforcements from arriving is a valid tactic, but the way the mechanics work right now, (for example, focus aim being able to fire at least 3 shots before your position is given away) allow for too much to be done while in stealth (within seconds) and validate the playstyle to the point no one is fighting anyone anymore it's all about who can 1 shot who. In any other multiplayer game a stealth mechanic would have some serious draw backs and possibly large cool downs. Even the counters given to us for just the one playstyle aren't as effective, and when they're made effective enough, they get a nerf.

Cloak in general, grants you access to loop holes no other class gets. If my Mag Sorc is hit with a Templar's Total Dark, I'm pretty much dead in the water. I'm locked out of using nearly all my abilities, any I do use is going to hurt me and heal my enemy, and if I happen to have the Stamina to break free, it will just get reapplied. The other option is to streak away entirely. A NB can just cloak, and wait it out. Your opponent can't attack you, they waste resources just looking for you, and you have so many options available even outside your class skills to move faster in stealth you have the actual option of either getting away, or waiting out the enemy. All other classes have to do a straight up fight or run, and that is where you get your disconnect from.

The reason Nightblades have strong stealth abilities is because they are much weaker than the other classes in an open fight and their abilities focus around single targets, not engaging multiple players at once. A Templar or Dragonknight can be set up to be nearly unkillable even when fighting multiple players at once. Nightblades have to be able to single out targets or they're not going to win. You can't just nerf the Nightblades stealth abilities while leaving the strong tanking and healing abilities of the other classes. Nightblades in general are squishier and have a higher skill gap to play effectively than the other classes when you're doing anything more than just ganking a single person that is away from everyone else.
    Edited by Twohothardware on August 31, 2016 10:51PM
  • Chori
    Chori
    ✭✭✭✭
    I stopped reading when I saw "non vet"
    EP NA-PC - Invictus - Odem Mortis
    1. Stamina NB Cat - ChoriB'Good
    2. Magicka NB High Elf - Lîndara
    3. Stam Sorc High Elf - Lindara Moonlight
    4. Red Guard Stamina DK - Chorî
    5. Red Guard Stamina Templar - Choripaninikinnie
    6. Magplar High Elf - Vagitarian Sillonour
    Don't tell me you lag, I play with 200-300 ms all the time ^_^
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I, don't think I understand the main point of this topic. Are you saying PvP Nightblade Mains are hypocrites? Or are you saying the Nightblade is too over powered for PvP?

From my perspective the Nightblade is only unfairly dangerous if you know exactly what to do and how to build it. My main is a Nightblade and I lose fights all the time. Sometimes I win them and it's extremely enjoyable but I'm no mister Gank Master. To be honest I'm better at Ganking with my Templar. Couple of Dark Flares and then a Radiant Glory and I've just melted someone.

I love ganking on my templar too, so much fun :lol:
    Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @nine9six ...if this was your first time seeing it - lucky you, I'd this was just one of a handful - I'm right there with you...

truth be told, I posted this discussion today because I recently had another post in which I unintentionally offended some good people and felt crappy about it...

my apologies to you @UltimaJoe777 and a bunch of other good folks...
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @nine9six ...if this was your first time seeing it - lucky you, I'd this was just one of a handful - I'm right there with you...

truth be told, I posted this discussion today because I recently had another post in which I unintentionally offended some good people and felt crappy about it...

my apologies to you @UltimaJoe777 and a bunch of other good folks...

Your thread wasn't offensive, the concept is controversial in general. Don't sweat it man :)
  • Unsent.Soul
    Unsent.Soul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually enjoyed reading that, was a different change of pace and its always interesting hearing other people's stories.

Just getting into magblade pvp. Might have spent 5 minutes so far. Have her leveled, geared up, ready to kill.... can't be bothered with anything other than my templar though, so she sits and waits....
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chori wrote: »
    I stopped reading when I saw "non vet"

I don't know about that...yeah, I might be a lowly cp340 - but, thanks to Zos' generous combat scaling system: I have a level 40 orc templar who loves to dance with any and all (I keep him in IC mostly), he's got a pretty nasty bite too >:)
  • catalyst10e
    catalyst10e
    ✭✭✭✭

The reason Nightblades have strong stealth abilities is because they are much weaker than the other classes in an open fight and their abilities focus around single targets, not engaging multiple players at once. A Templar or Dragonknight can be set up to be nearly unkillable even when fighting multiple players at once. Nightblades have to be able to single out targets or they're not going to win. You can't just nerf the Nightblades stealth abilities while leaving the strong tanking and healing abilities of the other classes. Nightblades in general are squishier and have a higher skill gap to play effectively than the other classes when you're doing anything more than just ganking a single person that is away from everyone else.

I know why they have the abilities and I didn't call for any nerf.(just to be clear) Templars and DKs didn't get the unlikable set ups until more recently. NB however for as long as I've played the game since PS4 launch have never been in a position where they were on the lower end of the PvP scale. The old joke among my guild mates was "you could complete kill enemy nightblades faster than kill enemy players". Mag blades have plenty of defensive options including the newly updated hampen Magicka shield that is as strong as hardened ward in full light armor. They survive just fine in straight up fights they just accel at single target from stealth.

I do find it interesting that the Kollopi Essence isn't allowed to be used in Cyrodiil for the obvious reason everyone would be nearly invisible, yet they allow NBs to totally control the fight they're in with the ability to go invisible on command. Again, im not calling for a nerf but just giving the perspective of those of us who deal with ganking and are not DK Uber tanks that take 6 players to kill.
    Edited by catalyst10e on August 31, 2016 11:36PM
    "Why settle for just stabbing your foes when you can roast them alive in a gout of arcane fire?"
    [| DC Breton Sorcerer || NA PS4 || PSN: Catalyst10e |]
    [| DC Dunmer Dragon Knight |]
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Unsent.Soul ...did you "re-spec" your current NB, or, start fresh?

if you haven't already, try checking out the fiction & roleplaying forum...most of the folks posting on pvp, dungeon trials and gear sets are wrapped up a little tightly - over at that forum it's like visiting the land of sunshine & happiness :)

it's very cool, their characters have histories and lots of stories...unlike my own group, which when not farming or crafting are pretty much just instruments for destruction....

not to make anyone jealous, but, I was rocking my daggerfall covenant t-shirt today at work...oh yeah, cuz I'm cool like that...