Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Vet. Maelstrom Arena is kinda of a mess

Panda_iMunch
Panda_iMunch
✭✭✭✭
For the past couple of days, I have been playing vMA off and on. In those couple of days I have encountered quite a few annoyances that make vMA really really un-enjoyable to play. So let me just air out my list of complaints.
  • The place is just laggy in general. Many movements, abilities, dodge rolling, and general movement have become unstable and unresponsive, making a flawless run unobtainable, not to mention tilt is increased. This lag seems to come from the server and has been voiced by many others in the community.
  • An ad in the Igneous Cistern, a pyro mage, consistently showing up in the wrong location, causing various wipes due to me not able to bash nor even attack the target until it rubber bands back into place.
  • You can die even after the boss in dead in the Rink of Frozen Blood due to the ice sheets not coming back in time and causing you to die to from the one shot freeze.
  • In the Vault of Umbrage, the big wamasu spawns below ground and comes to the surface. This makes hard to see when it comes in and dodge roll it's slow.
  • In the Igneous Cistern, the boss will sometimes start spamming her abilities if you easily manage to dodge roll them until she can hit you, making dodge roll useless or even killing you do to multiple stacks of the same damage ability.
  • This is big one, but if you leave vMA to do something, like gold pledge, your progress will not be saved, even if you go back in to your last arena and complete the trial. I have done two runs on my templar and have not received credit for it both times. I do not want to do the same dungeon many times for not credit, considering the high chance for a weapon with a terrible trait. Makes me feel like this when it happens.
  • In the Rink, the ice mages will some times spam their ice breath ability until it connects, leading to scenarios where the ad will spin in place spamming the same ability.
  • This is more of a complaint: The ads that spawn in the Cistern will sometimes all use their abilities at the same time, leading to a one shot scenario if you don't dodge roll in time or lag doesn't register it.

Hopefully these issues are delt with, this place gives me stress headaches.
Yeetus that fetus

Youtube: Pandalius (Panda)
Twitch: Pandalius
Beam: Pandalius
Twitter: Pandalius
  • Spliffo
    Spliffo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why do you stand in the water waiting for platform to come back on stage 5?
  •  Panda_iMunch
    Panda_iMunch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spliffo wrote: »
    Why do you stand in the water waiting for platform to come back on stage 5?

The boss destroys the platforms and on one attempt, I killed her and finished the arena, but the platforms didn't come back fast enough so I ended up dying to the water.
    Yeetus that fetus

• Spliffo
    Spliffo
    ✭✭✭✭
    So you killed her after she broke it? Be genuine I didn't know that was possible
  •  Panda_iMunch
    Panda_iMunch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spliffo wrote: »
    So you killed her after she broke it? Be genuine I didn't know that was possible

Yep, she died to my templar dots and I died to the water, revenge!
    Yeetus that fetus

• Spliffo
    Spliffo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Damn id be mad as well. Most of the issues you've mentioned tho are avoidable once you know what to look out for apart from the Pyro Mage porting around that's a wipe when it happens
  • Stoopid_Nwah
    Stoopid_Nwah
    ✭✭✭✭
    That pyro Mage in the fire round makes me crazy, but I've only had it happen a few times. Nonetheless, a fix would be amazing.

When you say you don't get credit do you mean you don't get to continue where you left off, you don't get a chest, or you aren't scored? If you mean you aren't getting a score then that's just because you have to run through it in one go to get that. If you leave and come back another day, you won't get a score.

I'd also like to add that I get kicked without fail after the 6th round. Other people have been having similar issues-makes it actually impossible to get flawless.
  • ryanborror
    ryanborror
    ✭✭✭
    Most of these I just think of as mechanics and have played around them for so long I think that's just the way it is. The only time pyro Mage in round 8 is unpredictable I think is during last boss which I think is supposed to be random spawn and only if you don't kill totems fast enough.
    Edited by ryanborror on August 25, 2016 6:01AM
    dooderrr
    templars, nightblades
    PC/XB1 NA
  • Stoopid_Nwah
    Stoopid_Nwah
    ✭✭✭✭
    ryanborror wrote: »
    Most of these I just think of as mechanics and have played around them for so long I think that's just the way it is. The only time pyro Mage in round 8 is unpredictable I think is during last boss which I think is supposed to be random spawn and only if you don't kill totems fast enough.
    Yeah the last boss spawns feel a bit random which is totally fine; for me though, I've experienced them spawning and when they start their heavy dot I run to bash them, bash, and nothing happens even though I'm on top of them. Can't be attacked either. Then about five-ten seconds after this, they seem to teleport to where I assume they actually were which tends to be about ten meters from where I was bashing.
  • ryanborror
    ryanborror
    ✭✭✭
    ryanborror wrote: »
    Yeah the last boss spawns feel a bit random which is totally fine; for me though, I've experienced them spawning and when they start their heavy dot I run to bash them, bash, and nothing happens even though I'm on top of them. Can't be attacked either. Then about five-ten seconds after this, they seem to teleport to where I assume they actually were which tends to be about ten meters from where I was bashing.
    Oh weird that sounds buggy. Not to meant ion on console flawless conqueror is unachievable because the game always crashes between rounds 6 and 7, although I haven't been in since the update. In round 5 the platforms never disappear even if they're not there. This is a recent thing I had been experiencing I'll have to go in tonight and check it out.,
    dooderrr
    templars, nightblades
    PC/XB1 NA
  • Trashkan
    Trashkan
    ✭✭✭
    Round 5 is a dps check or in some cases I've seen a tank check but I'm pretty sure you are suppose to bring the boss down before platform breaks or out tank the ice. I save ult until last platform and ignore ads from platforms 2 and 3 and focus boss only. Defense buff will help if you can't beat.
  •  Panda_iMunch
    Panda_iMunch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trashkan wrote: »
    Round 5 is a dps check or in some cases I've seen a tank check but I'm pretty sure you are suppose to bring the boss down before platform breaks or out tank the ice. I save ult until last platform and ignore ads from platforms 2 and 3 and focus boss only. Defense buff will help if you can't beat.

The issue is that if you bring her down after she breaks the ice sheet, you will most likely die to the water as the ice sheet will not spawn back in fast enough.
    When you say you don't get credit do you mean you don't get to continue where you left off, you don't get a chest, or you aren't scored? If you mean you aren't getting a score then that's just because you have to run through it in one go to get that. If you leave and come back another day, you won't get a score.
    What I mean is that if I was to leave at the 5th arena and come back and then finish the rest of the trial, I would not get a score that puts me on the weekly leader boards.
    Edited by Panda_iMunch on August 25, 2016 11:58AM
    Yeetus that fetus

• sluice
    sluice
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also died last night after killing the boss at stage 5... First time it happened to me.

The stage was still marked as completed, thought.. so not a big deal.

@OP, Your progress not saving, did you make sure that you were NOT in a group and that your group settings were set at Veteran? I made that mistake once, so I teleport elsewhere, quit group, changed setting back to veteran and went back into vMA. Progress was still there saved.

Also, I got to stage 9 twice without taking the quest at the beginning. So it didn't save...
    It appears that the progress of the quest is saved with the Quest. So make sure you get it BEFORE entering vMA.

PSN: sluiceqc (NA-PS4) CP: 551+
    I strictly play on Daggerfall Covenant for when it comes to PvP
    Daggerfall Covenant
    sluice - Orc Sorcerer (50)
    Anýa - Bosmer Nightblade (0..50)

Aldmeri Dominion (PvE only)
    Arýä - Altmer Sorcerer (50)
    Marksar - Breton Templar (50)
    Maksar - Bosmer Nightblade (50)
    sluice - Imperial Dragonknight (0..50) R.I.P.

Ebonheart Pact
    Can't-Heal-Stupid - Argonian Templar (0..50)

#VMATOKENSYSTEM #TRAITCHANGE
    (vMA) drop table and probability
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've experienced them spawning and when they start their heavy dot I run to bash them, bash, and nothing happens even though I'm on top of them. Can't be attacked either. Then about five-ten seconds after this, they seem to teleport to where I assume they actually were which tends to be about ten meters from where I was bashing.
    Happened to me multiple times on PC. Never noticed a similar problem anywhere else in vMA.

But you didn't mention the worst offender of them all: in stage 7, standing inside the shield, a flower spawns underneath your feet. For stam builds, that's a guaranteed trip to the grave--magicka can at least harness through it, but there is nothing you can do as stam to survive that. People have been asking since the launch of vMA for the shield to grant poison immunity.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  •  Panda_iMunch
    Panda_iMunch
    ✭✭✭✭
    sluice wrote: »
    @OP, Your progress not saving, did you make sure that you were NOT in a group and that your group settings were set at Veteran? I made that mistake once, so I teleport elsewhere, quit group, changed setting back to veteran and went back into vMA. Progress was still there saved.
    The issue was that if I did end up doing lets say the gold pledge and then came back and finished the trial, it would no longer count my score. So I would end up beating the vet arena and getting a weapon, but with no weekly or leader board recognition.
    The fact I left at like round 4 in a arena may have been the issue as the arena started as if I didn't did the previous 3 rounds, that may have messed with the score.
    Yeetus that fetus

• AGrz5585
    AGrz5585
    ✭✭✭
    Trashkan wrote: »

The issue is that if you bring her down after she breaks the ice sheet, you will most likely die to the water as the ice sheet will not spawn back in fast enough.
    What I mean is that if I was to leave at the 5th arena and come back and then finish the rest of the trial, I would not get a score that puts me on the weekly leader boards.

That's correct. If you leave arena, you can save it and comeback... but if you do a save, then you lose out on leaderboard score
  •  Panda_iMunch
    Panda_iMunch
    ✭✭✭✭
    AGrz5585 wrote: »
    That's correct. If you leave arena, you can save it and comeback... but if you do a save, then you lose out on leaderboard score

Well I'll file that as a complaint at that rate seeing as a save should actually save progress. This is just some bastardized version of it.
    Yeetus that fetus

• code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AGrz5585 wrote: »

Well I'll file that as a complaint at that rate seeing as a save should actually save progress. This is just some bastardized version of it.

It's the intended behavior. Only uninterrupted runs are scored, and much of the opposition to even allowing saves/resumes stemmed from concerns over scoring. Also, the save/resume mechanism kicks in only if you've been outside of the instance for more than 5 minutes, so people can still crash, disconnect, or port out to make a few quick potions and still get a score, as long as they return to the instance within 5 minutes.
    Edited by code65536 on August 25, 2016 12:50PM

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  •  Panda_iMunch
    Panda_iMunch
    ✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    It's the intended behavior. Only uninterrupted runs are scored, and much of the opposition to even allowing saves/resumes stemmed from concerns over scoring. Also, the save/resume mechanism kicks in only if you've been outside of the instance for more than 5 minutes, so people can still crash, disconnect, or port out to make a few quick potions and still get a score, as long as they return to the instance within 5 minutes.

I can see that being a concern if they can't record all the details, but even if they were just to reset the score to what it was at the end of the last arena before a person was in the next one, that would be enough. I just want to get a score for completing content so that the weekly is done, even if the score time is severely hampered, at least it's something.
    Yeetus that fetus

• code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see that being a concern if they can't record all the details, but even if they were just to reset the score to what it was at the end of the last arena before a person was in the next one, that would be enough. I just want to get a score for completing content so that the weekly is done, even if the score time is severely hampered, at least it's something.

Scores and leaderboards are intended for competitive runs, and the rule is that you must complete it in one sitting. It would be an unfair advantage if someone could log out, get some rest, clear their mind, and then start again refreshed while still getting scored the same as someone who had to endure the entire arena in one sitting.

Scoring was the big sticking point in the debate over whether saves should be allowed, and the current system is the perfect compromise: saves are allowed for casual runs or for people who are just running for completion. No saves allowed for competitive runs.

The leaderboards are also very competitive these days. As of last week on PC/NA, you need runs faster than 1 hour to get a sorc score that survives the weekly leaderboard. You need just a bit over 1 hour to survive the nightblade weekly board, about 1.5 hour runs to get a score that will stick on the Templar board, and about 2 hours to secure a spot for a DK. If you can't complete the arena that fast, it doesn't matter if you get a score or not, as you will not be in the top 100 for the weekly. And if you can complete the arena that fast, the single-session requirement should not be much of a burden.
    Edited by code65536 on August 25, 2016 1:57PM

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  •  Panda_iMunch
    Panda_iMunch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Scoring was the big sticking point in the debate over whether saves should be allowed, and the current system is the perfect compromise: saves are allowed for casual runs or for people who are just running for completion. No saves allowed for competitive runs.
    Alright, I can see the reasoning behind that and I would not take serious issue with that if the glitches of the system made it less of a pain to do this trial. On top of that, if we are going for a competitive trial, I would something better than 120 native ping much less the 400-1000 ping spikes that happen very often. Trying to be competitive in this environment is ridiculous.
    Edited by Panda_iMunch on August 25, 2016 2:47PM
    Yeetus that fetus

• Stoopid_Nwah
    Stoopid_Nwah
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've experienced them spawning and when they start their heavy dot I run to bash them, bash, and nothing happens even though I'm on top of them. Can't be attacked either. Then about five-ten seconds after this, they seem to teleport to where I assume they actually were which tends to be about ten meters from where I was bashing.
    Happened to me multiple times on PC. Never noticed a similar problem anywhere else in vMA.

But you didn't mention the worst offender of them all: in stage 7, standing inside the shield, a flower spawns underneath your feet. For stam builds, that's a guaranteed trip to the grave--magicka can at least harness through it, but there is nothing you can do as stam to survive that. People have been asking since the launch of vMA for the shield to grant poison immunity.
    Same, it's the only time I've ever had the issue and it is specifically that mob in the last boss of that round.

Are you talking about the boss's spit or an actual flower spore? I've only had the spit dot underneath my bubble, never a flower. Both are crap rng imo, but luckily I run a magicka nb when farming it, can't even imagine making it through awful rng on stam.

I also say perhaps the biggest offender for us on console, as mentioned above by a couple of us, is that flawless is actually unachievable if you didn't get it before db. I don't know a single person that doesn't get kicked after round 6 @ryanborror.
  • sluice
    sluice
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Stoopid_Nwah, I never got kicked and I'm on PS4.
    I've had some crazy lag at times though... To the point where my overload were not even firing or skills were taking a full second before registering.
    Daggerfall Covenant

Ebonheart Pact

• Stoopid_Nwah
    Stoopid_Nwah
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've had some crazy lag at times though... To the point where my overload were not even firing or skills were taking a full second before registering.
    Hmm interesting, perhaps this is contained to Xbox then. Anyone else able to give input here? I'd love to get this figured out so I can actually get my achievement.

And yeah the lag I feel is across the board awful (also why I don't use a sorc in there). I actually started recording my "wtf" moments to turn into a montage lol.
  • sluice
    sluice
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm interesting, perhaps this is contained to Xbox then. Anyone else able to give input here? I'd love to get this figured out so I can actually get my achievement.

And yeah the lag I feel is across the board awful (also why I don't use a sorc in there). I actually started recording my "wtf" moments to turn into a montage lol.

LOL, I actually had the same idea...
    So many moments where It takes me like 5 seconds to enter overload mode (Have to press L1+R1 a bunch of times), then my overload not firing...Oh and how about my Liquid Lightning taking forever to appear on the ground.

Another good one is when trying to streak to get to a golden ghost, and your character actually teleport 2-3 seconds after firing that ability and you miss the ghost. :tired_face:

It's astonishing how this SOLO arena can lag so much at time.

Daggerfall Covenant

Ebonheart Pact

• Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aaaaand the crahses on Xbox are still here. I've almost given up on the flawless run. By the way, all that stuff you mentioned is quite true. Hate it.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Stoopid_Nwah
    Stoopid_Nwah
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I gave up a couple weeks ago already on getting flawless...it kind of bothers me as I was striving to complete everything possible in the game. I thought getting emp would've been the biggest pain, but it turns out that was a walk in the park in comparison.

As a side note, one of my friends told me that if you don't pick up the quest and go in to the arena for flawless, even if you get booted you will still get to come back, finish, and get the title (as long as you didn't die). Not sure if this is true though as I personally haven't tried it.

@sluice Haha yes we all should just make a compilation of our woes in maelstrom. I love the bit about streak too lol, kinda pictured it ending with you hitting a blue ghost instead and then the inevitable :expressionless:.
  • whitebeard00
    whitebeard00
    ✭✭
    For Round 8, can anyone explain to me when the adds spawn? Haven`t been able to figure that out and it is making it more difficult than necessary. Am I just not killing the pillars fast enough? Are they on a timer? Always seem to spawn at the wrong times, right when the boss is stunned.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Round 8, can anyone explain to me when the adds spawn? Haven`t been able to figure that out and it is making it more difficult than necessary. Am I just not killing the pillars fast enough? Are they on a timer? Always seem to spawn at the wrong times, right when the boss is stunned.

For the boss round of stage 8, the adds spawn on a timer, and it's always a flame-shaper guy and then two atronachs. However, both the timer and add cycle reset when you stun the boss.

If you destroy the warding stones fast enough, you can get the boss to stun before the adds spawn, and if you can do that twice, you can kill the boss without seeing a single add spawning.

The safer route is to destroy two of the warding stones, wait for the flame-shaper guy to spawn, kill him, and then destroy the third warding stone so that you don't have to worry about interrupting his channel during the stun phase. The atronachs hit like a wet noodle, so I wouldn't worry if they're up during the stun.
    Edited by code65536 on August 28, 2016 10:20AM

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas: