Cradle of Shadows - "Fear No Darkness" achievement bugged, or missing something?

rhapsodious
rhapsodious
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm relaying this for my friends, who are in the middle of the dungeon right now.

So.

The achievement text: "Pass through the spider caves in Veteran Cradle of Shadows without lighting more than two braziers."

We are all assuming that the "spider caves" are the section that contains Sithera and Khephidaen, and that the area comprises of the initial ladder you go down up until after Khephidaen where you re-emerge on the landing that allows you to pull the lever to open the door. And yes, they are on Veteran.

My friends (at least one of whom will soon post following this) have done just that. They didn't light any braziers on Sithera (and took like 15+ minutes, they tried skipping her but she pulled anyway), lit no braziers between boss fights (i.e. slogged through spider hell the hard way), and only lit a single brazier on Khephidaen when she shut off all the braziers. They exited the spider caves, pulled the lever, and at the time of writing have gone through the big door and have still not received credit for the achievement.

Do they need to finish the dungeon for the achievement to be earned, or is there a bug? Has anyone earned this? They all just bug reported it and, to put it mildly, will not be happy if they went through this for nothing.

Edited by rhapsodious on August 19, 2016 3:01AM
  • NolaArch
    NolaArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can confirm. I was in the group, and we did it the painful slow way, no cheese. No achievement. :/
    Ardat-Yakshii EP Stam NB
    36k anchovy club
    Mash the buttons, hope for the best!
    I have some achievements
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yea this achievement is rather... weird
  • tpanisiakb16_ESO
    tpanisiakb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Woeler wrote: »

Have you been able to do it, Woeler? We did it the long, very arduous way. Killed the first boss with no braziers, lit only one on the second. Nothing. A painful crawl I don't want to do again.
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Have you been able to do it, Woeler? We did it the long, very arduous way. Killed the first boss with no braziers, lit only one on the second. Nothing. A painful crawl I don't want to do again.

I did not try it to be honest. I just went for no-death and the rest you need for the skin and left there, but I know people in my guild that have it, and I also know people that have no idea how it works.
  • deathbyk1te
    deathbyk1te
    ✭✭✭
    We just finished the dungeon. No achievement.
    @deathbyk1te

Dani Ackerman- DD- Redguard NB [EP]
    Leona Chosen of the Sun- Tank-Imperial DK [EP]
    Diana Avatar of the Moon- DD- Nord Templar [EP]
    Fate T Harlaown- DD- Imperial Sorc [EP]
    Kha Zix Talons- Healer-Argonian Templar [EP]
  • NolaArch
    NolaArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, nothing. I don't really know what else to add to this. We went through without lighting a single brazier in the hallways. Didn't light any on the first boss. Only lit one at execute on the second. Do we *have* to cheese our way and death run our way through the spider halls? I'd rather not.

I'm wondering if the auto-lit brazier when first go down the ladder may be counting, as well as the braziers lit by the second boss when we enter her area.
    Ardat-Yakshii EP Stam NB
    36k anchovy club
    I have some achievements
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a very peculiar achievement, and I'm not sure what ZOS intended as the "correct" way to do it.

We got this achievement last night, as well as the Shadowplay achievement (lighting no braziers on Khephidaen).

Our strategy was very cheesy: we just ran and died on our way to get to Khephidaen. We skipped Sithera. She did attack but we just died and kept moving on in ghost form.

At Khephidaen, we killed her without relighting any braziers because we also wanted to get Shadowplay. When she was at very low health (like 15%?), we just stood at a lit brazier and waited for her to teleport to us. Once she did, we ulti-bombed and executed her before the brazier went out or she could teleport out.

The instant Khephidaen died, we received both the Shadowplay and Fear No Darkness achievements--we didn't even leave the boss area. We didn't light any braziers. It's possible that the achievement is bugged actually requires zero lightings instead of the two stated in the tooltip?
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • NolaArch
    NolaArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We did get Shadowplay, as you can see, but on another run. I'm guessing you just can't light a single brazier. We didn't want to cheese, but I guess we will the second time around. We did technically earn it, after all. Which...okay. Fine. But the achievement does stipulate that you can light two. Must be a bug.
    wZe3yGu.jpg
    Edited by NolaArch on August 19, 2016 4:06AM
    Ardat-Yakshii EP Stam NB
    36k anchovy club
    I have some achievements
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    The instant Khephidaen died, we received both the Shadowplay and Fear No Darkness achievements--we didn't even leave the boss area. We didn't light any braziers. It's possible that the achievement is bugged actually requires zero lightings instead of the two stated in the tooltip?

Well, that sucks. They already have Shadowplay, so they'd have to effectively get it again. Not to mention that if that is the case, then the achievement text is wrong and is misleading people.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom , in the morning, would you be able to maaaaaybe check with whoever implements achievements and possibly shed a little light on this? But not more than two lights, you know.
  • tpanisiakb16_ESO
    tpanisiakb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah my group knows I'm 100% against cheesing mechanics, but we're going to try this (perhaps tonight, @NolaArch, @deathbyk1te ?) without lighting a single brazier. This time we're just going to die our way to Khephidaen. As mentioned, we already did Shadowplay, but I can 100% confirm we lit only one brazier last night, and it was one sub-20% on Khephidaen since we already did Shadowplay.

For what it's worth, @code65536, we got Shadowplay exactly the way you did. Just sat in the last brazier at 25% and waited for her to come to us then ult-bombed.
  • deathbyk1te
    deathbyk1te
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah my group knows I'm 100% against cheesing mechanics, but we're going to try this (perhaps tonight, @NolaArch, @deathbyk1te ?) without lighting a single brazier.

Yeah I'm down for trying this again tonight.
    @deathbyk1te

Dani Ackerman- DD- Redguard NB [EP]
    Leona Chosen of the Sun- Tank-Imperial DK [EP]
    Diana Avatar of the Moon- DD- Nord Templar [EP]
    Fate T Harlaown- DD- Imperial Sorc [EP]
    Kha Zix Talons- Healer-Argonian Templar [EP]
  • NolaArch
    NolaArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah my group knows I'm 100% against cheesing mechanics, but we're going to try this (perhaps tonight, @NolaArch, @deathbyk1te ?) without lighting a single brazier.

I'll be there!
    Ardat-Yakshii EP Stam NB
    36k anchovy club
    I have some achievements
  • NolaArch
    NolaArch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay. Can confirm. You can't light any braziers. The achievement says "no more than two braziers", but you cannot light any at all. This includes hallways, the first boss, and killing the second boss without lighting any of her braziers. For now, I'd advise going for both achievements together, Shadowplay and Fear No Darkness, as you have to do Shadowplay anyway to get Fear No Darkness.

Ardat-Yakshii EP Stam NB
    36k anchovy club
    I have some achievements
  • Plintkabouter
    Plintkabouter
    ✭✭
    Has there been any more development on this?

I tried to get this achievement with my group several times but we never got Fear of Darkness (got Shadowplay though..)

In the end we didn't end up lighting ANY Brazier, and killing ALL bosses. The only thing I could think of is that we whiped at some point. Is it possible you also cannot whipe during this time?

This achievement is a time killer with the heavy dmg reduction on the two bosses and all the spider mobs in the cave... I'd like to hear from SOZ to tell me what I need to do to get this achievo.
    Plint was here!
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has there been any more development on this?

I tried to get this achievement with my group several times but we never got Fear of Darkness (got Shadowplay though..)

In the end we didn't end up lighting ANY Brazier, and killing ALL bosses. The only thing I could think of is that we whiped at some point. Is it possible you also cannot whipe during this time?

This achievement is a time killer with the heavy dmg reduction on the two bosses and all the spider mobs in the cave... I'd like to hear from SOZ to tell me what I need to do to get this achievo.

I haven't heard anything, and they haven't heard anything from their bug reports, not that they likely would. They wiped all the way to Khephidaen so it's not wiping that voids the achievement.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom plz respond
  • Plintkabouter
    Plintkabouter
    ✭✭
    Well if wiping was not the problem then I don't know what the problem was. I wanted to do a rerun and record it to show how we did NOT light any brazier, but sadly my trusted companion has told me he would rather do anything else in this game BUT go for this achievement whilst it is bugged...
    Plint was here!
  • Kilnerdyne
    Kilnerdyne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same problem as Original Post. This achievement is unachievable.
    Exited the Spider caves, no achievement. Completed the dungeon, no achievement.

giphy.gif
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I completed it. The following facts about the achievement I figured out:

1. It states light no more than two braziers. The achievement only works if you light NO braziers at all.
    2. You can die on your way, it does not matter.
    3. You HAVE TO skip the first boss as you can't kill her without lighting any brazier.
    4. Once you meet these criteria you will get the achievement after killing the second boss (also lighting NO brazier here).
  • Plintkabouter
    Plintkabouter
    ✭✭
    I completed it. The following facts about the achievement I figured out:

3. You HAVE TO skip the first boss as you can't kill her without lighting any brazier.

You can actually kill the first boss without lightning any brazier, which is what we did. It just takes a healing springs spamming healer and 20minutes of everyone's time :'). In any case, we have not tried NOT killing her + NOT lighting ANY brazier yet...

At this point I feel the urge to try it again at CP10 just to test this stuff a lot faster and be done with it.

EDIT: also; Kilnerdyne doesn't want to play with me anymore cause of this bug :pensive:
    Edited by Plintkabouter on September 21, 2016 9:29PM
    Plint was here!
  • Plintkabouter
    Plintkabouter
    ✭✭
    For completeness I would like to report that we made it. First run we did not complete the achievement, second run we did. In both runs we:
    • skipped first boss
    • continuously whiped throughout the hallway with the spiders
    • lit no braziers at the 2nd boss

The difference was that the first run we whiped on second boss after almost getting her down, and on second run we didn't.
    Our assumption is now that when you whipe on second boss while braziers went out, they reset, and that counts towards to total number of braziers lit.

Sounds like a reasonable explanation., and this does give a full picture of how to get the achievement.

Note; only thing we did not test, is whether you can actually light one or two braziers (as we just lit none for safety).

This achievement is ridiculously frustrating and I love it for being one of the harder cheesy achievements out there.
    Plint was here!
  • Plintkabouter
    Plintkabouter
    ✭✭
    For testing we tried it again today.

If one brazier is lit, it already does NOT work. So the achievement is 100% bugged.
    Plint was here!
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • JodaGreyhame
    JodaGreyhame
    ✭✭✭
    Can you have a look into this again @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom - this achievement still seems to be bugged as described above.
    Orsimer Than You I Am: Orc Warden
  • Simurg
    Simurg
    Soul Shriven
    Can you have a look into this again @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom - this achievement still seems to be bugged as described above.

We tried same thing and its still bugged after more than 1 year.. Cmon zenimax fix these bugs..
    Edited by Simurg on May 5, 2018 6:59PM
  • ABelle99
    ABelle99
    ✭✭
    I’m assuming this achievement is still bugged?
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gh0stEch0 wrote: »
    I’m assuming this achievement is still bugged?

Next year you'll be able to purchase ANY bug fix off the crown store. They will be price according to the severity of the bug.
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just did the achievement on stream and it didn't work! Plz fix
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I got it maybe a year ago, we didn't touch a brazier and the first boss took forever.
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Achievement still bugged. Did this today (January 12 '20) trying for two only (first boss) and then a single one (by accident) during second boss. Neither awarded. Will need to try again for a no braziers at all to see if that works.

Edit to add: Lighting zero braziers works.
    Edited by heaven13 on January 12, 2020 11:18PM
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • WAMB0
    WAMB0
    ✭✭✭
    heaven13 wrote: »
    Achievement still bugged. Did this today (January 12 '20) trying for two only (first boss) and then a single one (by accident) during second boss. Neither awarded. Will need to try again for a no braziers at all to see if that works.

Edit to add: Lighting zero braziers works.

Another 6 months later (almost 4 years now since original post) still bugged and reacting to any brazier lit contrary to the achievement description.
This discussion has been closed.