The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[PS4] PvP tactics against Nightblade and general tips

tourerttrwb17_ESO
tourerttrwb17_ESO
✭✭✭
Guys, today two of us (Magblade and Magplar both lvl 19 only) were exploring Imperial sewers dungeon had great fun and a lot of questions about PvP that we have encountered.

Encounter 1 vs Nightblade and DK (i think) duo. We have started a fight but as soon as one of them started to loose health rapidly and at about 20% left, they simply ran away from us

- What could we have done to catch them? Somehow boost our run speed? Gap closers? Any other CC (i don't think we have any at this point unlocked)

Encounter 2 vs Nightblade. That was a tough one because we simply didn't know what to do. NB was camping almost at the entrance to our Base and attacked us. We tried to fight back but had no luck. He was using some sort of fear ability, we both were running away from him for a short period of time. Some stuns, roots as well. Most annoying thing, he was often just disappearing (i assume he used shadow cloak ability) and we could not see him at all until he decides to attack us again. We have tried many times but couldn't kill him, nor he managed to kill us.

- What could we have done to be able to fight here? Would Magelight help to bring him out of the cloak?
- Seems like when he was disappearing, he could still see us even though we were crouching (Icon on the screen said we were detected). How does this mechanics work?
- Are we able to do anything to counter that fear ability other than break out of it. Any passives or spells that make us immune to it?

All in all, it was a great share of fun to fight mobs and be on the watch for enemy players. Please give us some tips on how to be more competitive in those fights.
PC-NA @Eon-King
  • Bakven
    Bakven
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, for the ones running away best thing to do is a cc then a gap closer. For a mageblade you should use either crippling grasp or agony then lotus fan (once you level up enough to get those.

As for the ganker, there are a few things to do against a nb. First is Mage light, that will bring them out of stealth and keep them out for 3 seconds, but it's limited on its range. Second thing is detect pots. These will bring anyone in stealth or invisible within a certain radius out of stealth and keep them out for a limited time. And third thing is as a nb (steam or magicka) the best way to keep them from stealth is mark target (in the assassination skill tree), this will allow you to still see them when they go in stealth.

Now, if you're hidden and you become detected, chances are a nb is cloaking right next to you. A good thing to try is to use fear, or any aoe to bring them out of cloak and put them on the defensive. You can also toss caltrops (if you have it and want to use a steam ability) and toss them around you, it will be a good deterrent from the nb attacking you inside the caltrops.

Hope that helps
    EP NA Haderus
    Iscangar- Mageblade (retired pvp; pve only now)
    Emlyn Medresi - Magicka DK

Soon to come
    Vash'rassa- Stamblade
    -Tiffany - Stam DK
    Trokaar - Mageblade (vamp/Iscangar 2.0)
  • tourerttrwb17_ESO
    tourerttrwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks! It does all make sense now :)
    PC-NA @Eon-King
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightblade gankers are tough. If they're in your zone, they know what they're doing and have a good chance of killing you if they catch you unaware. They are great at hiding, and escaping, but tend to be squishy. In a mag Templar and mag NB vs Nightblade fight, you have some good co-op potential.

Your mag Templar should put the pressure on. Piercing jabs is good if he can corner the NB (although a good NB will roll through). Once the NB is under 50%, Jesus beam is darn near impossible to break. And of course, your temp should spam breath of life to keep you up. boL gives your team like ten times the healing potential he has. As you learn the game, also learn the other Templar heals. There are some awesome heals for a two man team other than BoL, and a lot of players forget that a Templar is supposed to be partially support...healing, resource management, armor buffs, etc.

Your mag nb's job is burst dps and keep him out of cloak. Piercing mark will keep him out of cloak forever, it's a must have for me in the sewers. You can also use mass hysteria...that's the fear ability. When it hits him, he'll get stuck for at least 2 seconds...your temp needs to swoop in with jabs at that point. You also have sap essence to both dps and pull him out of stealth. But for a ganker, piercing Mark is the best anti-stealth ability.

Your nb's job is to also manage the battlefield by staying mobile. What I mean is that magblades have stealth and speed (you should have dark cloak and concealed weapon on one bar). Use these to position your opponent between you - dark cloak and maneuver around him. Then he can't hit both of you with one attack (usually), and more importantly he won't be able to see you both at the same time, which is really confusing. Get behind him, lotus fan, concealed weapon, cloak and back off to let the Templar attack. Staying on opposite sides also helps prevent you both from being feared.

Your duo can evolve into being utterly deadly. I like stamblade/mag Templar better, but mag-mag works too. Just remember that as lvl 19s you're running as a CP150 with no champion points and crap gear when you're in IC. That's going to make you squishy for experienced 501s in there, but it's a great grind zone. But if you want some good XP and practice playing together with less pvp risk, try the public dungeons in Wrothgar, or Cyrodiil delves. My friend and I run these with new builds to figure out how they best play together. World bosses in Wrothgar are good too. If you figure out how to survive these, you'll be well practiced to take on humans.

• Stoopid_Nwah
    Stoopid_Nwah
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you have the room for it on your bar, you could slot radiant magelight (morph of magelight from the mages guild skill line). It will prevent the stun that a nb ganker does from stealth, and I believe it cuts stealth damage by 50%.

You could also consider running a shield like harness magicka/dampen magicka (morphs of annulment from light armour skill line) because shields can't be crit on.

As mentioned above by previous posters, piercing mark from the nbs skill line is good, but be careful of the smart gankers that run purge as they will probably pop that and be gone or preparing for another strike. This is why I prefer magelight as it locks them out of stealth for a short time.