The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Solution to the DirectX problem after the patch June 20

XistenZ_one
As many of you laptop owners out there might've noticed, you havn't been able to play ESO because of some obscure DirectX problem.
Most laptops have a worthless integrated graphics, and a not as worthless dedicated graphics. The dedicated graphics kicks in when it's needed, and it's not needed for opening the ESO launcher, the launcher won't see that there actually is a dedicated graphics and only look at the one that's currently running and say "nope, your computer sucks balls don't play our game!" and not much more happens.

I have a Nvidia card, so I can launch the Nvidia control panel and choose which adapter will run on what application, so I basically forced my dedicated graphics to always run when opening ESO. This fixed it for me.
If you have an AMD card then I'd guess you're doomed. No idea if they have such a control panel but probably not #fanboyRant

You're welcome.
  • Zweible
    Zweible
    ✭✭✭
    Not doomed with AMD, although the fix isn't as easy. When AMD did away with catalyst control center, we lost the ability to force the dedicated graphics card on a per program basis. My fix was to uninstall all AMD crimson and graphics drivers and install the last set of drivers that used Catalyst Control Center. Worked like a champ!

The set I installed was AMD-catalyst-15.7-win10-64bit.exe

Obviously, if you are not running win 10 you would have to find the comparable set for your OS.

Hope this helps the AMD people out there.
  • snowsong
    snowsong
    ✭✭✭
    As many of you laptop owners out there might've noticed, you havn't been able to play ESO because of some obscure DirectX problem.
    Most laptops have a worthless integrated graphics, and a not as worthless dedicated graphics. The dedicated graphics kicks in when it's needed, and it's not needed for opening the ESO launcher, the launcher won't see that there actually is a dedicated graphics and only look at the one that's currently running and say "nope, your computer sucks balls don't play our game!" and not much more happens.

I have a Nvidia card, so I can launch the Nvidia control panel and choose which adapter will run on what application, so I basically forced my dedicated graphics to always run when opening ESO. This fixed it for me.
    If you have an AMD card then I'd guess you're doomed. No idea if they have such a control panel but probably not #fanboyRant

You're welcome.

~~~
    @XistenZ_one: Thank you so much! I too, have a laptop. Although, it is a very nice entertainment laptop with Windows 10 etc., and I also have switchable dedicated graphics, mine is Radeon. I tried your suggestion and pulling up my catalyst control center for my graphics, I was able to get my Radeon to recognize the ESO launcher first and have the launcher start-up in the dedicated graphics! It works again! YAY! :-) No more error claiming I do not have DirectX11 or above, which I do have! I am able to play again! After all i had tried to no avail, this solution worked easily and instantly! I am so HAPPY! I can not thank you and Zweible enough! Zweible, thank you also because you mentioned you had AMD and it worked for you too, so I gave it a try! :-)

This thread should be pinned and ZOS should direct people that have dedicated graphics and have this "DirectX 11 error" launcher problem here, because after all the threads I read, people are busting their tails trying to fix this problem and having a really hard time, and this simple solution is the FIRST thing they should try, to save themselves much bother! :D Easy fix, with your advice!

THANK YOU BOTH! :smiley:
    STORM-CATS =^..^=GUILD
    http://storm-cats.weebly.com/
    [Snowsong is using ROG G752VS on NA server.]
  • snowsong
    snowsong
    ✭✭✭
    Zweible wrote: »
    Not doomed with AMD, although the fix isn't as easy. When AMD did away with catalyst control center, we lost the ability to force the dedicated graphics card on a per program basis. My fix was to uninstall all AMD crimson and graphics drivers and install the last set of drivers that used Catalyst Control Center. Worked like a champ!

The set I installed was AMD-catalyst-15.7-win10-64bit.exe

Obviously, if you are not running win 10 you would have to find the comparable set for your OS.

Hope this helps the AMD people out there.

Thanx Zweible! I had upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 some time back and still have my Catalyst Control Center, and my game was working fine till one of the last updates too, then I started getting the launcher error about DirectX11 and could not play. After reading your posts here with XistenZ_one, all I had to do was go into my Catalyst Control settings and fix it as described, to go right to dedicated graphics on ESO launcher and no more error! Thank you so much! :smiley:
    STORM-CATS =^..^=GUILD
    http://storm-cats.weebly.com/
    [Snowsong is using ROG G752VS on NA server.]