The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

PSA

GottbeardESO
GottbeardESO
Soul Shriven
I'd like to issue a warning to the ESO testing community due to recent events.

1. Do not test ANYTHING outside of the PTS server.
2. Do not put on, or interact with bugged content on the live server in any way shape or form. It does not matter anymore if you are putting it on to test. It doesn't matter if you stayed out of PvP, avoided leaderboard scores, or any other reasoning you might normally operate under. The new parameters for the exploit tracker are so broad that it will accidentally throw your name into the hat.
3. Do not believe that your record of bug finding will save you from a ban if you are caught testing the parameters of a glitch/bug/exploit on the live server. ZoS doesn't know who you are even if you found 40 crippling bugs over the last 3 years and gift-wrapped a report so they could fix it. They will not communicate with you and you won't have a chance to explain yourself.

There is a community of players, tinkerers, who have, over the last 3 years, painstakingly tested every conceivable aspect of this game. It is a hobby that comes at great personal cost, normally time and gold, but recently an even higher cost... their account.

Interacting with bugged content, even for testing purposes, is now grounds for a perma-ban with no chance of repeal. Exploiting no longer means using a bug to further your account goals. It now means simply interacting with a bug, regardless of its benefit to you.

I'd like to say thanks to the testing community and all the thankless hard work they do for ZoS. You really are the unsung heroes of ESO and it's sad you have to deal with this.
  • Kildayen
    Kildayen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. For this to happen to members of a guild who preach the importance of not exploiting... ZOS you should be ashamed of yourselves and this must be remedied immediately. The people who got banned were not cheaters / exploiters. They were two of the most involved / experienced testers in the game. Fix this problem now!
    Edited by Kildayen on August 13, 2016 7:26PM
  • brandelwine
    brandelwine
    Soul Shriven
    I have been a player in ESO since beta and have been a leader in one of the longest standing end game guilds on the NA server. I have loved this game, despite waves of my old friends leaving for other games because they got tired for waiting for new content or because they were frustrated over ever changing game mechanics that destroyed what we loved about the game when it first came out. I stayed because I had invested so much time and built a community that I loved and still found the game fun.

This last wave of bans targeted folks I know for a fact are not hacker/exploiters. It was a lazy, catch all ban that seemed to take anyone wearing some set that was bugged. Two of my longstanding guild members and friends had compiled video of that bug to report (as they have done for many others in the past). These are the players that, along with others like them, find and report game breaking bugs and help maintain the integrity of our competitive content. They do not do these tests to further their progression. In fact, they sink a lot of game time and resources into it and basically lose progression in order to help the community. These people should not be banned--they should be on ZOS's payroll.

Anyways, after seeing the way ZOS handled this it has finally been enough to drive even me away. I can no longer support a company that uses such sloppy tactics. I no longer feel safe investing my time in a game that does not respect its player base and can take away years of your progress on a whim or someone's bad call. I encourage any other people who feel the same to also remove their support from ZOS.

@AtomicWombat42 PC NA Server
    Raid Leader Strategic Tamriel Defense (STD)

The Thirteeth Dude - Templar Heals
    Least Weasel - Templar Stam DPS
    Atomic Wombat - DK Heals
    The Welwa Whisperer - Sorc Heals
    In the Back Jack - Nightblade Heals
    The Last Guarfighter - Sorc Stam DPS
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, unless the bug was found on Live, you don't profile a bug on Live. What happens on PTS needs to be debugged on PTS.

If the bug is found on Live, and it could be an exploit, do not poke at it. Report what you saw and let those QA guys from ESO Live deal with it.

ZOS is not paying you enough to test their game. Report the bug. Move on.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Hagbard_OM
    Hagbard_OM
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Brandelwine 100%. This wave of bannings was extremely ham-handed, poorly-implemented, and absolutely disgraceful. I am all for removing cheaters and exploiters from the game, but there is a world of difference between banning accounts for using Cheat Engine (a second-party program whose sole reason for existence is cheating) or for using hacks and exploits to post high leaderboard scores and haphazardly banning an entire group of people who were caught in a detection utility without paying any attention to what those people were actually doing.

I know of one person caught in this recent wave of banning who had no prior infractions of any kind. He put on the set after hearing in game that it was broken, and went to test it. A few days later, he was permanently banned.

This is a player who does this sort of thing (testing bugs/gear/etc.) compulsively. He has provided feeback and bug reports to ZOS on multiple occasions. In other words, this is a player who works to make this game BETTER.

Removing players in this sort of utterly incompetent manner was a very poor decision on the part of ZOS, and the consequences/fallout from it (for this game's community) are only now starting to roll out. There will be a domino effect from these bannings that is going to have far-reaching effects. Effects that, for those who care about the treatment of good players by an increasingly callous and oblivious company, are absolutely justified.

This has been a sad week in a game that I have loved for two and a half years and had hoped to enjoy playing for years to come.
    Edited by Hagbard_OM on August 13, 2016 8:38PM
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am very interested in the mindset here.

Angel player hears about a completely broken set that allows for 100k weapon damage.

Angel player decides then to equip this knowing full well it was bugged.

Angel play decides to then clear 5 levels of a 9 level dungeon.

Angel player is not angel.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (Wrong thread)
    Edited by Elsonso on August 13, 2016 10:04PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Alanar
    Alanar
    ✭✭✭✭
    @lordrichter I happen to know both of the players involved here personally. If they are not Angel players, then there are no Angel players playing ESO, and ZOS might as well ban the entire community. I know no one who has fought harder against cheating and exploiting and seeing them treated this way is agonizing. I hope you're right that they get compensated for the mistake, if not, I think we're about to lose a significant chunk of the most dedicated players ESO has, and we'll all be worse off for it.