Help finding mouse (hand/wrist strain)

AtmaDarkwolf
AtmaDarkwolf
✭✭✭
I have gone though about 20 mice in the past 2 months(Most I returned and replaced with 'new' test item lol) and I'm getting frustrated at the issues mice have.

I have an old m6980 ghost, which other than it being slightly narrow (IE pinky drags on desk, which is the majority of the issues with hand) its perfect. All the buttons are within easy reach and (Again other than the right side of mouse) its very comfortable to hold/use.

I tried the updated versions (Most recent attempt was the m8000x ghost) and all of them, while slightly improved in 'some' areas (That I can live without, as in higher dpi, different switchs) they all moved buttons to really inconvient areas (too far up for thumb to hit, or would end up mashing wrong keys, or just waaaay too sensitive)

So here I am, asking advice from community on choosing a new mouse.

The only real 'musts' it has to have is a working tilt wheel (IE: 4 directional scroll wheel, where pushing the wheel to the left or right is another 2 'buttons') and at least 2 easy to reach and click but NOT stupidly sensitive, thumb buttons. Slightly wider with a rest for the pinky would be nice too (Damage to hand done years ago means my pinky is mostly crushed out of shape, and when it drags on the desk for an hour or more, the ache goes all the way up to my shoulder)

Anyways thank you ahead of time (Doubt i'll see many replies but thought i'd give it a shot. Who else but a gamer would know other gamers, rgiht?
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you considerate to walk into a store, check the mouses they have on display and hold them in your hands?

That's what I do, when I want to buy a new mouse. Also check quality of the mouse, if possible ask the store to plug the thing into a laptop for you or something, so you can see how it feels in use.
  • Skafloc
    Skafloc
    ✭✭
    Must comfortable mouse I've ever used:
    https://mionix.net/product/naos-8200/
  • AtmaDarkwolf
    AtmaDarkwolf
    ✭✭✭
    does the naos have a tilt wheel?

Also, about 'touching' mice, most stores around here do NOT have any dedicated 'gaming' mice out to try. (Which is sad) but they DO have typical 'office' mice out(like a whole damn isle of 100's of mice that are SO DAMN SIMILAR its silly)

But yea, can't actually 'try' most gaming mice out unless the guys in the store have their own (Which is nice cuz then u can try out the tactile feeling of buttons and such, and see how its gotten use)

• Captain8504
    Captain8504
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried using a controller?
  • AtmaDarkwolf
    AtmaDarkwolf
    ✭✭✭
    yes and for some games I defiantly prefer my controller (got easily the best ever made on market) but for this game its just not practical (for me)
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could try a R.A.T. 7. To me it has been the most comfortable mouse i have used. Unfortuantely i have problems with my other hand so i end up playing with a naga so i have all the action buttons on my mouse.

The only thing i dont know is the mouse wheel. It does have 2 buttons right by the thumb and it is actually 4 since the silver part that can be turned left or right acting like a button. Also it comes with a guide you can put on the right side which extends the mouse and lets your pinky rest on it. It is also one of the wider mice i have played with.

Anyway, happy shopping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0095D1CM8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469805911&sr=1-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=r.a.t+7&dpPl=1&dpID=41FjQnmp5XL&ref=plSrch
    Edited by vyndral13preub18_ESO on July 29, 2016 3:33PM
  • AtmaDarkwolf
    AtmaDarkwolf
    ✭✭✭
    yea was looking at the rat7, and will consider it if I can't find another option WITH the tilt wheel(I guess I could get used to using the thumb wheel thing instead, but old dog, new tricks scare us)

Looking at the naga hex and the new Logitech Proteus since both seem slightly wider than my ghost 6980 (Really wish the new ghost was not so painful and awkward to hold) and the naga also has grooved pinky rest area (for both added grip and support for dragging pinky)
  • AtmaDarkwolf
    AtmaDarkwolf
    ✭✭✭
    I've snagged a naga hex (v2) and it mostly satisfies requirements, but lack of a pinky rest still sucks(It has a grove/rest for the ring finger, which reduces strain on the pinky, so that will be good) but I have to get all used to a new mouse again (I looked over history and realized my previous mouse survived more than half the lifespan of my previous pc, which lasted for 10 years... seems I was using the 6980 for 6 years or more, bought it mid 2010 and it STILL works fine today, just crushed pinky was taking too much hurt dragging on desk)

Anyways thank you all and wish me luck that this one lasts as long as the last (and that it solves my issues)
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I personally use a controller because I get hurty wrists a lot. My wrists are resting in my lap rather than on a hard desk.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • AtmaDarkwolf
    AtmaDarkwolf
    ✭✭✭
    Yea, for games that the controller feels 'right' with (In my opinion anyways) its MUCH better, just as u said, can sit in any position and relax while playing, but I doubt I could get used to playing ESO with controller(I've tried, but only for one session)

Oh well :p

I'll need a few days to get used to anything new anyways.
  • JohnnyQuantum
    JohnnyQuantum
    ✭✭
    Apart from trying a controller as others have mentioned, I use a Razer Naga which I find configurable and great for most, if not all, types of games.
  • AtmaDarkwolf
    AtmaDarkwolf
    ✭✭✭
    had naga for a short while (the 12 button one) and didn't care for it, so decided not to get the 'new' model and went for the naga hex instead (button placement is meh, not sure i like the thumb button area much yet, but the shape is ok, will take time to get used to it but i think it'll do)

the 16000 dpi setting is just insane though (I can manage half that max, 4-6k is my normal dpi setting)
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I get wrist pain it isn't because of the mouse but the position I use it in. The most comfortable position for me is to recline in a large office chair, have my keyboard on my lap, and then use my mouse on a long(ish) table on wheels next to me that is the correct height for my whole mouse-arm to rest on. Ideally you don't want your elbow floating in space, when this happens too much downward pressure is exerted on your wrist as it's then the only point of contact with the surface you use your mouse on.

Another solution is to get an elbow rest that clips to the surface you use your mouse on, they do exist. The only mice I can think of that have adjustable thumb buttons are the razer imperator (non-mmo), the corsair mmo mouse, or one of the rats (I think).
    PC | EU
  • AtmaDarkwolf
    AtmaDarkwolf
    ✭✭✭
    Deal with mice is they really should have them plugged in and set up so that one can 'try' them physically(could have all of them plugged into same system, just to test physical use, not software) because when you spend 60-120 on a mouse, it REALLY should be what you 'need'

Anyways so far so good, the hex has done the job i need, will still require time to get used to the new feeling(buttons,shape, size,etc, even how a mouse can 'snag' and feel like somethings holding it back, lol)

I didn't realize just how uncommon pinky drag was until I went looking for self for new mouse(Apparently many 'suffer' from it but most don't realize this, at least until your pinky is damaged and then every movement is painful)
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Razor naga
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • AtmaDarkwolf
    AtmaDarkwolf
    ✭✭✭
    well, sadly, this is yet another mouse going back. I would suggest the hex for anyone, but the rear (body) of the mouse was just too hard to 'hold' while using the thumb-buttons. Next I guess I can try the Proteus but i doubt they will let me buy any more from them LOL

I may just have to suffer with this, or simply(and not really kidding...) have the pinky amputated. (Would solve many other problems other than just mouse use)
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    Razor naga

Tried their naga before (The 12 button one) as i said above, and was pretty much unusable for me. The naga hex (v2) was the most recent one, and it felt 'good' up to until I actually tried to use it while gaming, then it was a nightmare. Could not do anything i did before and finally just pulled it out and put in the old 6980 to finish up.

Fact is, just may not be one I can use anymore.
    Edited by AtmaDarkwolf on August 2, 2016 9:43AM
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    X_X JESUS CHRIST I KNOW ESO IS A GOOD GAME BUT IT IS *** NOT WORTH AMPUTATING YOUR LIMBS FOR!

At least consider to travel to another town, that have a big enough store to have their gaming mice for set for display - then you can test it there and see what fits you.

If you keep going to the same store, by one of their products and resend it - then buy another product and resend it, you are wasting both yours and their time.
  • AtmaDarkwolf
    AtmaDarkwolf
    ✭✭✭
    haha.. its not JUST for gaming. The damage to my hand/pinky has just progressed to the point its always at a different angle and i constantly stub it against *** when just doing normal things, and when at work, because of the pain, I subconsciously hold it apart from teh hand when lifting things, which just means it constantly bumps against other things.

Every time I smack it on something the pains hoots all the way up my arm into my shoulder, and I've had a doctor say that amputating may be an option if they feel the 'grip' strength is gone(which at this point its close to that, rest of hand is just as strong as ever, but the damn pinky can't grip anything and hurts when I try)

I am upset (Frustrated mostly) at the fact that the naga hex looked so good and that it would be perfect fit, even felt so before I tried to game with it, but as soon as I started playing, it was just horrible to use (my normal dps in pledges is anywhere from 12-16k to 25-30 k on bosses, but with this mouse I was unable to aim right, hit proper buttons, or even grip the mouse properly, and my dps dropped to 3k to maybe 7k on bosses. It was sad lol)