The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

As a Magicka Nightblade should I be wearing 5 light armor and one heavy and medium?

Deathgiggle
Deathgiggle
✭✭✭
I've been told by several people to wear 5 light pieces, one heavy and one medium. What skills out of the heavy and medium lines are supposed to be beneficial in such a way as to make you not just wear 7/7 light?

I guess what I'm saying is I don't understand what benefit I get from heavy and medium that is better than all 7 light. Can someone point out which heavy/medium skills I need to put points into?
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not really. I wear 7 light. But have to, coupling scathing mage and infallible no undaunted mettle outdoes this combo. Fact. Entirely depends on your set up. If the usual Julianos and Nerenith then go for it. More tanky etc so yes.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For pve or pvp?

In pvp we can make a case either way, but 7/7 is better for sustain and helps a fair bit with spell resistance.

In pve, the extra resources from Undaunted Mettle will boost your dps by a reasonable amount for going 5/1/1.

It will vary with some setups in pve too, but generally speaking, if you have a 2pc monster set you can do one in each heavy/med for Undaunted Mettle.
    Edited by Autolycus on July 29, 2016 9:28PM
  • Deathgiggle
    Deathgiggle
    ✭✭✭
    Autolycus wrote: »
    For pve or pvp?

In pvp we can make a case either way, but 7/7 is better for sustain and helps a fair bit with spell resistance.

In pve, the extra resources from Undaunted Mettle will boost your dps by a reasonable amount for going 5/1/1.

It will vary with some setups in pve too, but generally speaking, if you have a 2pc monster set you can do one in each heavy/med for Undaunted Mettle.

I'm mainly PvE and only level 26 right now. If Undaunted Mettle is what people are talking about then I probably won't have to worry about that until I get more towards the endgame as it will take me a while yet to level Undaunted. So I guess I'll just rock 7/7 for a while and maybe switch later on?
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    You should ALWAYS wear at least one piece of each armour type while levelling. That is so that you get all armour types to 50 because you never know what the future holds. You may decide at some stage to completely rebuild your character and having all the necessary skills already levelled makes this process much less painful.
    Edited by Elephant42 on July 29, 2016 11:01PM
  • Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elephant42 wrote: »
    You should ALWAYS wear at least one piece of each armour type while levelling. That is so that you get all armour types to 50 because you never know what the future holds. You may decide at some stage to completely rebuild your character and having all the necessary skills already levelled makes this process much less painful.
    ^^ listen to this guy.
    Also don't forget to level both the Restoration Staff skill line along with the Destruction staff skill line.
    Two other skill lines you might consider leveling are:
    Dual wield - People sometimes equip two swords on magicka builds because of an extra item set bonus and the passive that provides a %weapon and spell damage increase.
    One Hand and Shield - In case you ever decide to tank (I have 3 magicka tanks -DK, NB and temp). This skill line is also beneficial in PvP.
    >>>Detailed Justice System Concept thread<<<
  • Hawco10
    Hawco10
    ✭✭✭✭
    I usually roll with 5 light and 2 heavy, all Julianne with chest and legs Torgas pact heavy. I also use a torags staff. So i get extra health. 3 will power with spell damage enchants and Magika glyphs on all pieces. My traits are all impen but that's because I do pvp most of the time.
  • Bakven
    Bakven
    ✭✭✭
    The only reason to wear 5-1-1 is for the undaunted passives. If you don't have them yet then stick with 7 light unless you want to level the other armor skill lines.
    EP NA Haderus
    Iscangar- Mageblade (retired pvp; pve only now)
    Emlyn Medresi - Magicka DK

Soon to come
    Vash'rassa- Stamblade
    -Tiffany - Stam DK
    Trokaar - Mageblade (vamp/Iscangar 2.0)
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

I always wea 5 light, 1 heavy and 1 med,

I also always use the first 2 passives of med and heavy armour,
    It helps with health and stam....

but it is not necessary... The main reason people have that setup is for the undaunted passive "Unduanted Mettle" which increases max stats by 2% for each type of armour worn...(2% for light, 2% for heavy, 2% for med) which adds up to a nice little boost on max stats.
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)