Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Gathering resources?

happymaarit
happymaarit
✭✭✭
I started to play today (on ps4) and I really love gathering resources in other games and was wondering how it works here.
I tried to do a search in this forum, but guessing it is not called mining or gathering :)

When can I start putting exp points on them?

As in all games, my inventory will probably get full in no time, can I sell stuff to a NPC in the beginning so I level them up?

How to heck can I see the iron or lumber, it is really hard to find. I can't find any map or gathering locations in the options?

Should I learn to craft right away? If yes, I bet I need to check some videos about it, it usually is somewhat complicated :)

Best Answers

• Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    But if I understand the system right, I will have to sacrifice skill points in the battling skills if I put it there...?

The thing is, there are so many skill points available in the game, that you can max out all crafting skill lines and most of the battle skill lines. So no need to worry. Although in the beginning I'd advise against spending too many points into crafting. Just level the skill lines and when you have enough skill points invest in the crafting skill trees.

Hope that made sense :smile:
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
    Answer ✓
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, about the crafting bit, thank you :)

I still wonder about when I can put skill points in the gathering part, i saw that resources can "glow" brighter if I get them high enough?
    But if I understand the system right, I will have to sacrifice skill points in the battling skills if I put it there...?

You only need one point into Keen Eye for each craft you want to level. Don't put any into enchanting, as runes are very easy to find. For sure put a point in Alchemy keen eye. Some valuable flowers, like Columbine, are very hard to spot. I would not put a point into Wood keen eye until you have points to spare, if at all. Put points into Cloth and Ores if you have a hard time spotting them. Keen eye definitely helps when it comes to harvesting mats. Just use you skill points sparingly until you have enough. Speaking of which, look into all the sources of skill points.....Public and Group dungeons, the new DLCs, Cyrodiil, the mian quest line, Alliance quest line. Seeking these skill points makes it much easier to level crafting without sacrificing skill points for battle skills and passives.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
    Answer ✓
  • Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Each crafting skill line in ESO levels independently.
    There are 6 crafting skill lines:
    Alchemy (potions and poisons)
    Blacksmithing (Heavy armor and metallic weapons)
    Clothing (Medium and Light armor)
    Enchanting (glyphs)
    Provisioning (food & drinks)
    Woodworking (shields and wooden weapons)

Every craft except provisioning has a "Keen eye" passive, and will help you locate relevant materials for that craft more easily. One skill point into that passive is usually enough.

The skill lines won't level by gathering materials though. You level the skill lines by making items, or deconstructing them. You can deconstruct any gear or weapon to level Blacksmithing/Clothing/Woodworking, and also you can deconstruct Glyphs to level Enchanting.

I suggest you only invest 1 skill point into each Keen Eye passive at the beginning of the game, if you want to farm raw materials.
    Getting proficient in every craft requires a lot of skill points, and even in late game when you have all skill points unlocked, it is smarter to focus on a smaller number of crafting professions (or at least split the professions among more than one of your characters).

The raw materials you collect are not worth much at NPC merchants. You will earn much more gold by selling those items at Guild stores.
    You need to be a member of a Guild that has the Guild Store unlocked (at least 50 players). To sell more frequently, it helps if that guild hired a Trader in a popular location, where all players can visit that trader, and buy from your guild store (without a trader, only your guild mates can buy your items in the guild store).

Good luck and happy farming!
    >>>Detailed Justice System Concept thread<<<
    Answer ✓
  • Durete
    Durete
    ✭✭
    Xbox player here:

this is what I do:

- My main char has full points in "Keen eye" for all crafts. (no need to lack points, I got a full dps, tank, pvp dps and pvp tank build on it already and still have 17 skill points surpluss)

- I deconstruct all with the character that I want to prepare for a certain craft. (My lvl 3 templar has rank 30 blacksmithing already, even while I've never crafted anything with it.)

- I have several "Bankalts" to store materials.
    Example:
    Main: Provisioning+enchanting- provisioning mats in main inventory, enchants in bank.
    Alt: Has all woodworking and clothier materials +still enough inv space to level /quest normally.
    bankalt1: Alchemy materials
    Bankalt2: Blacksmithing materials+all long term items I don't need regularely.

now if I'll ever need more space I'll just create more bankalts with classes/race combo's that I might want to play in the future. you can have up to 8 characters= 4x60 free bankspace even if you actively played all 4 classes.

If you are a casual player you won't have much more time than maintaining 2 characters, so then you'll have 6 characters with 60 free bagspace!

Bonus: If you're eso+ you won't have an inventory problem anyways, as then you get a gathering bag.

As for guilds: Don't ever pay anything to be in a guild. the best trading guilds will demand nothing, as everything you sell in the guildstore will give them a % of the pay!

If you're on Xbox one EU, I think I can invite you to a trader guild.
    Answer ✓
  • Kihamai
    Kihamai
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can start leveling up your crafting when you actually craft with the materials you find, or deconstruct the items you find. You can see blacksmithing, woodworking, enchanting, etc materials when you level up your skill and invest in the "keen eye" skills in the skill lines.

Selling items to a merchant doesn't level up your crafting skill lines. You have to deconstruct the items you find or actually craft items, such as with alchemy and provisioning.

I think you should be definitely crafting, or at least researching items that you come across. You're going to want a dedicated crafting character, so you should work on that.
    pc na | trash tier
  • happymaarit
    happymaarit
    ✭✭✭

I still wonder about when I can put skill points in the gathering part, i saw that resources can "glow" brighter if I get them high enough?
  • happymaarit
    happymaarit
    ✭✭✭
    Than you so much, now some breakfast and then I will continue my game :)
  • happymaarit
    happymaarit
    ✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »

You only need one point into Keen Eye for each craft you want to level. Don't put any into enchanting, as runes are very easy to find.

I saw some runes yesterday, but someone else picked them up before I could! It looked like he knew where they where :smiley:

Thank you for this advice, really good!
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »

You only need one point into Keen Eye for each craft you want to level. Don't put any into enchanting, as runes are very easy to find.

I saw some runes yesterday, but someone else picked them up before I could! It looked like he knew where they where :smiley:

Thank you for this advice, really good!

Maybe he did know where to look. Resource nodes aren't random. They spawn in the same locations. For alchemy nodes, the flower will be random, but not the location. PC users have an add-on that maps node locations as you find them, so it's pretty easy to make a farming loop.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • happymaarit
    happymaarit
    ✭✭✭
    Searching videos about this for Playstation, but all I find is about add-ons for PC, but I understand that this is huge!
    Perhaps I can find some maps instead...

I think I just play it for a while and see what happens, trying too much just makes my head spin :smiley:
  • happymaarit
    happymaarit
    ✭✭✭
    So many good advice! :)

Right now I'm logging in/out on a ship because all the gear comes back, and after that I run to the workbenches and deconstruct everything, hoping to reach level 3 that way :smiley:

Btw, why does random players send invites to group with them, I have the headset on but no one has spoken to me....
  • Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So many good advice! :)

Right now I'm logging in/out on a ship because all the gear comes back, and after that I run to the workbenches and deconstruct everything, hoping to reach level 3 that way :smiley:

Btw, why does random players send invites to group with them, I have the headset on but no one has spoken to me....

The items you find on workbenches and stands won't give you much crafting experience, unless those items are stolen.
    You are far better off simply doing regular business you would normally do and deconstruct any gear monsters drop along the way.
    Also, if your farming (harvesting) provides a lot of income for you, you may want to buy Intricate items from Guild Traders, those items provide a considerable amount of crafting experience when deconstructed. It is an expensive, but fast way to level your Blacksmith/Clothing/Woodworking.
    >>>Detailed Justice System Concept thread<<<
  • happymaarit
    happymaarit
    ✭✭✭
    I just joined by accident a guild, they want 500 per week so they can get a traiding... Something lol

I want to make 500 I have nothing to give away xD
  • Treemagnet
    Treemagnet
    ✭✭✭
    I am on a PC so do nit know if my experience is different. I am solo and what I found best was to deconstruct everything you do not need to use. This will increase your resources without having to harvest. I found gold to never be a problem so the gold lost by deconstruction is more than offset by the resources received. As far as adding skill points you need deconstruction (and, I believe, construction) to increase your skill level in the craft. Gathering resources will not increas the skill level. The first skill option in each of the combat (Blacksmith, Clothier and Woodworking) crafts should only be increased as you advance to the territory where the resource changes to better quality.
  • happymaarit
    happymaarit
    ✭✭✭
    Durete wrote: »
    Xbox player here:
    Bonus: If you're eso+ you won't have an inventory problem anyways, as then you get a gathering bag.

Wait, what!? :smiley:
    gathering bag, you get unlimited space!?

That would be amazing, if the update for consoles is good I just might get that :dizzy: